Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Suzaku no Saiai ❯ Epilogue

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Suzaku no Saiai
Epilogue Standard disclaimer: Fushigi Yuugi is copyrighted by Watase Yuu, Shogakukan, TV Tokyo, Movic,and Studio Pierrot, and maybe some other people, if I forgot anyone.^^; Anyway, please don't sue me. I'm just a recent college grad with a secretarial job!. Kourin and Jin Feng were created by me, but I'm not responsible for their actions in this fanfic. I can't control them anymore! If you think you might be more successful controlling them, feel free to borrow them. Just drop me a line at jscaife@austin.rr.com to let me know. I've gotten the epilogue finished in short order, so here it is. Ack...I've gotten depressing recently.^^;; Thanks to all of you who've followed this from the beginning, and I'm sorry it took so long.
Suzaku gently stroked his bride's hair, his eyes sad and dull. The girl had lost most of her sparkle and fire since merging with Jin Feng, and she spent most of her time staring down at her former lover, his own seishi, Nuriko.
"Are you so unhappy here, Jinny?" he asked painfully. "You rarely smile anymore, and I haven't heard your laughter since you arrived."
Kourin/Jin Feng looked up, and tears shone in her golden eyes. "I'm just having a hard time adjusting to not being human any longer," she lied. The girl stroked her wings lightly and fiddled with a strand of her now long golden hair.
"You miss Nuriko," her consort said flatly, guiding her to the window seat. He sat down and pulled the girl into his lap. "Did he make you happy?" the god asked wistfully.
"I loved him with all my heart," his bride said, voice breaking, "but I won't go back on my bargain. You gave me several months of happiness with him even though it pained you to see me with someone else, and I won't go back on my promise to join you here."
Suzaku lightly touched her forehead, and the two kanji for "queen" flared up with golden light. "You haven't changed at all, little one," he sighed. "You've continued to throw your entire heart and soul into anything you do…even falling in love." His arms wrapped around her, and he gently drew her body to his chest. "I only wish that I could have been the man you gave your heart to in this lifetime…"
Kourin looked over her companion's shoulder out the window to see Houki coaxing Nuriko to play with her young son down in the gardens of Konan palace. She had finally recovered from losing her husband in the terrible battle against Kutou, and she mothered the heartbroken seishi and young Boshin with the same fervor.
"Kourin wouldn't want to see you sad," Houki insisted, forcing Nuriko to take the young prince's toy ball. "She's watching you from the heavens, you know."
The young seishi turned the ball in his hands. "I still miss her…" he said weakly, "I love her so much still that my soul aches…"
"Suzaku will take good care of her for you," the Empress said briskly, "and she'll be waiting for you, when you finally move on from this life."
Nuriko smiled bravely. "I can only hope that she still remembers me, and until then I'll do my best to keep her from being sad on my account."
The girl pried her gaze from the window and turned back to Suzaku. "I'm sorry that I've been depressed," she said softly, placing on hand on his. "It's not fair to you after you've been so good to me."
The phoenix god looked up into her sweet face and smiled ruefully. "I fooled myself into thinking I could make you love me, Kourin," he said, using her human name. "All I can do now is spend the rest of eternity making it up to you."
She leaned forward and brushed a kiss over Suzaku's forehead. "Ryuuen will be returned to me in time," she smiled. "All I have to do is wait." Return to the Stories page! Questions? Comments? © 2000 jscaife@austin.rr.com