Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Girl Who Didn't Believe ❯ Promise ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Girl Who Didn't Believe

DISCLAIMER: I do not own any of the FY characters. They belong to Yuu Watase. I do own Kitten and Sable though.

`…' = thoughts

//…// = telepathic conversation

########## = at another place

^^^^^^^^^^ = recall

********** = dream sequence

@@@@@@@@@@ = mirror projection

That's all, minna-san!! Enjoy!!

Chapter 29-Promise

It had been three weeks since the battle, and Seiryu had not sent any more challenges to them. Akai, Aoi and Haiiro were still staying under Kamui's roof, and they too had reported no orders from Seiryu.

Sable was standing under the pavilion one afternoon, deep in thoughts, when Chichiri joined her.

"What are you thinking about, Sable, no da?"

The brunette turned around and smiled sadly at Chichiri. Chichiri stepped nearer to her, and instinctively, the girl burrowed into his arms.

The couple stayed like this for quite sometime, content to be together. After awhile, Sable spoke.

"I was thinking about how clever Seiryu is," Her voice came out muffled.

Chichiri stared down at her.

"Why clever?"

Clear, forest green eyes stared back at him.

"Chichiri," Delicate hands tightened their hold on his waist. "If Seiryu just sent people to fight us, it would have been easily dealt with. A piece of cake for us. But…but now, Tasuki is like that, and all that we can do is to pray for kami to help us. Pray for Seiryu to help us. Kitten has been acting all cheerful and normal, but…it is obvious that she is dying slowly inside, seeing Tasuki behave like that everyday. It has been three weeks and…and I am not sure how long we can take this strain."

Chichiri pulled Sable closer to him. He understood what she meant. The feeling of utter helplessness, the inability to do anything except to watch his best friend suffer and having to put all his hopes and prayers on a god, and everyone knows that gods do not help people, especially the one who had designed to kill them all.

However, Chichiri could not afford to let everyone go down in depression. Now that Tasuki is gone, he had to be strong, to be the support for the entire group. But for now, he buried his face in Sable's hair, and allowed himself to grief for his lost friend.

`Come back to us soon, Tasuki.'

##########

Kitten was making her way to Tasuki's room, when she saw Akai. Abruptly, she stiffened slightly. Glancing around, she realized that there was no one else. The girl had been successfully avoiding the fire elemental for the past three weeks, but it seemed that her luck had finally run out today. Sighing softly, she relaxed and stared Akai straight in the face.

"Hello, Akai. What do you want?"

Akai looked awkwardly down the floor. He had also been unconsciously evading Kitten for the past few weeks, and when he finally realized what he was doing, he was very ashamed. Thus, he quickly made an effort to get Kitten alone. It did not take him long to comprehend that the girl was also trying as hard to avoid him, but now that he finally got her alone, he did not know what to say.

The silence was deafening.

"I am sorry." Akai blurted out.

Kitten continued staring at Akai. At last, Kitten lowered her eyelids. And sighed softly. When she opened those eyes again, Akai saw resignation there.

"You are forgiven. It was not your fault anyway. You were ordered by Seiryu." Akai felt relief; he was certain that Kitten would never forgive him, but he had to try.

`Arrigato." Kitten felt his sincere gratitude, and as she walked past him, she spoke again.

"Make sure that I have not forgiven you for nothing."

Akai stared at the retreating back of Kitten with wonder. Eyes filled with determination, he nodded.

`Rest assured that I will never betray your trust.'

##########

Carrying a tray of food, Kitten knocked lightly on the door before entering.

"Tasuki, I am coming in!!" Her voice was normal and cheery.

The window was open and rays of sunbeam spilled into the room, making it look especially bright and cheerful. Kitten laid the tray on the table and went over to Tasuki's bedside.

"Come on, Tasuki, wake up. I brought food."

Kitten steeled herself for what is going to happen next.

Tasuki opened his eyes, but the normally passionate amber hues were dull, and Kitten bit her lips and looked away. When she was in no danger of crying anymore, she turned back and helped Tasuki to a sitting position.

It was evident that Tasuki could move. He could eat, drink, and relieve himself. But he would not speak, no matter how hard Kitten tried to make him.

"I will feed you, ne, Tasuki?" She took a bowl of warm porridge in hand and lifting the spoon, nudged it against his lips. The redhead opened his mouth and took in the food. He chewed the food slowly and swallowed. It took half an hour for him to finish the entire bowl of porridge.

After that, Kitten cleaned Tasuki up with a wet cloth and changed him into a new set of clothing, talking to him merrily all the time. She started massaging his limbs next, to improve his circulation.

"Where do you think that we should go next, Tasuki? After we do Kutou, where do you think we should go next?" Kitten had finished rubbing his arms and feet and was now sitting by the bedside. "You can choose this time, if you only wake up."

Tasuki gave no response, dead eyes staring into space.

"Tasuki?" Her question came out as whimper. "You did not hear me at all, did you?" Tears filled her eyes then; tears that she had not allowed to fall for the past three weeks.

"Please come back, anata. Onegai…" Kitten whispered brokenly. "I…I need you. Everyday I see you like this, it hurts me. Please come back."

Kitten searched his eyes desperately, hoping to see some signs of recognition. Any sign of recognition. But the amber hues were blank as before, and her heart broke.

Bleakly, Kitten laid her head against his chest, listening to the comforting beat of his heart. It calmed her a little.

"Tasuki, do you remember how we met? I do. Do you?"

^^^^^^^^^^

"What are you two doing hugging on top of the horse?!! You two okamas are so disgusting!! Get a room, will you?!! You just ruined my appetite! You guys are the remaining Suzaku seishi, right? Jeez, so all that internet rumors about you two being gay is true after all…"

"Oi, woman! Watch whatcha saying okay?!! Chiri and I just teleported here with the fucking horse. Ain't our fault that we're in that position. At least we aren't under the horse!"

"SURE it isn't your fault…"

"You have fun by being sadistic?"

"You shut up! No one is asking you, okama!"

"Why you little…"

"Little…little what? Huh, CARROT TOP!"

"That's it! You're gonna pay! You bakayarou! REKKA SHIN…"

^^^^^^^^^^

Kitten smiled sadly.

"Not exactly a great start to a relationship, huh?"

Kitten need not look up, for she knew that if she did, all that she would see are lifeless eyes.

And she could not bear that.

^^^^^^^^^^

"ITAI!! Tasuki no baka!! How dare you drop me like this? What kind of person are you?"

"I won't even drop you if you weren't pounding on my head, stupid onna!! What did you think it was, a fucking drum?"

"It might as well be; your head is as empty as a drum anyway!!"

"Why you…I was kind enough to carry you back here and instead of thanking me, you insult me?!!"

"I didn't ask you to carry me at all, period!!" Kitten shot back. "And you deserved that insult for `claiming' me!! What did you think I was, your pet dog?!!"

"A dog would be less troublesome than you!!"

"Well, if that is so, then why don't you go marry one?!!"

^^^^^^^^^^

"That was fun, ne?"

Tears leaked out from closed eyelids, and they stained the shirt fabric that was directly above Tasuki's heart. Somehow, the moment the wet warmth soaked the shirt and touched Tasuki's skin, his eyes flickered slightly. It was just a split second that those eyes reflected an emotion too fast to catch, before it turned blank again.

"What about your promise, do you remember that too, Tasuki?"

^^^^^^^^^^

Tasuki had grabbed Kitten then, and sealed her lips with a tender kiss. He poured all the love he felt for her into the kiss.

Kitten froze, her mind going blank as waves and waves of emotions flooded her senses.

After what seemed like a blissful eternity, Tasuki released her and stepped back. Without his support, the bemused Kitten swayed alarmingly.

"I think you just got my answer, kirei. You do me great injustice by even suggesting that I'd leave you. That is the one thing I will never do willingly." The red-haired bandit whispered fiercely.

"And you are not a coward, kirei; you are the strongest woman I have ever seen, and it is because of that that I fell in love with you. The little girl inside you will always be there, a reverberation of your past, a reminder of what you once were and what you are now. You must never forget that, and even if you do, I promise that I will be there to correct you, ne?"

Kitten looked extremely overcome by emotions then, much to Tasuki's amusement.

"Now, onna, can I take you into my arms already?"

The blue-haired girl answered by throwing herself at him. She clutched tightly at this man whom she had come so close to losing. Tears leaked out of her eyes.

"Arrigato, Tasuki, for understanding."

In response, Tasuki hugged Kitten to him tightly and buried his face in the sweet fragrance of her hair.

"Iie…Kit, always remember that whatever happens, aishiteru."

^^^^^^^^^^

"You promised not to leave me," Kitten whispered quietly, the tears waterfalled quietly down her cheeks; she made no attempts to stop them anymore. "You promised. Are you breaking your promise now?"

This time, the reaction was more obvious, but equally fleeting as the previous one. Blinded by tears, Kitten did not see the brief moment when amber eyes turned cloudy with grief, and the fingers that twitched slightly.

`Kit…my Kit…wait for me. Please don't give up on me. I am trying…Please don't cry, kirei. Don't cry. I am here. I was always here all along. It is just that my body refuses to obey me; I can't move…but I am here. Don't give up on me, kirei. Aishiteru.'

##########

Sable was on her way to the breakfast room when Kamui suddenly appeared. He strode to her side and maintained his pace with her.

"Hello, Kamui." Sable greeted the blonde. She was not really sure what to say to him. Ever since the day of the fight, the two were seldom alone and when they were, Sable always felt awkward.

Kamui sensed her discomfort, and he smiled.

"Daijoubu, Sable." He said in his deep voice. "I understand now."

Sable stopped and tilted her head to look at him.

"What do you understand?"

"Your love for Chichiri."

Sable retreated a few steps away from Kamui, and the blonde smiled again.

"As I said, daijoubu. It took me awhile to see what had been in front of me all the time, so I don't blame you at all."

Sable moved forward.

"Gomen ne, Kamui. I was selfish, and I thought that you could make me forget Chichiri," the brunette whispered.

Kamui shook his head slightly.

"I thought that I could make you forget Chichiri too, but your heart was already his from the beginning. I see it now."

"Gomen." Sable said again, looking at the floor with shame.

"Iie." Sable looked up. Kamui was looking at the glorious sunset, and for a moment, Sable thought that she was seeing an angel. Golden hair, fair skin and beautiful features. All that is missing was a pair of wings. Kamui turned to face her. Silver-blue eyes met surprised green ones.

`They are filled with…genuine gladness…' Sable wondered with awe.

"Iie." Kamui repeated again. "Don't be sorry, for I know that I am not. I might not have your heart, but I know that I have the friendship of all of you, which is just as wonderful."

Voice filled with conviction, Kamui continued.

"To belong, to be a part something important. It was the dream that I always had. Yet, it had always stayed unfulfilled until now. I am very honored to be a part of your friendship circle." He moved to stand in front of Sable, and bending down, he kissed her forehead gently. "Thank you."

Sable smiled at Kamui before surprising the man by throwing herself at him.

"You are welcome, Kamui." Sable gave him a fierce hug. "My friend."

Kamui's surprise changed to pleasure as he awkwardly gathered the petite brunette to him.

At last, Sable moved away. Kamui expected to feel emptiness, but to his amazement, all that he felt was contentment, something that he seldom felt.

"Well," Sable smiled. "I am going to meet Chichiri in the breakfast room now."

Kamui waved her away, and after bidding the blonde farewell, the brunette scampered away. Kamui watched her until she disappeared from sight and for a brief moment, silver-blue eyes clouded over with sadness and regret before clearing again.

`I wish you happiness, Sable. Be happy.'

##########

In the realm of the gods…

Seiryu could not believe his eyes.

"What the hell does Kamui think he is doing?"

Genbu and Byakko looked at each other. Suzaku was absent, for obvious reasons.

"He obviously loves her, and yet he lets her go!!" Seiryu raged. "What is he thinking?"

Byakko decided then that it was well past time that Seiryu learned an important lesson.

"Seiryu," the tiger god interjected quietly. It got the dragon's attention.

"Nani?"

"Do you know why you lost to Suzaku in the first place?"

Seiryu snarled, but Byakko ignored him.

"It is because when you manipulate people, you did not take into consideration their feelings. Human beings behave in ways that even gods cannot predict."

"But I read correctly this time!!" Seiryu muttered. "Kamui is in love with Sable!!"

Byakko sighed.

"Yes, Seiryu, I can see that. But do you?"

"Do I what?"

"Do you know what the meaning of love is?" Genbu answered for Byakko.

Seiryu was confused now.

"I may not be the god of love like Suzaku, but when my seishi Tatara and miko Suzuno fell in love with each other, I learnt something, and that is true love is selfless."

"Yes," Genbu agreed. "Apparently, your Kamui loves Sable so much that he is willing to give her up so that she could be happy. Just like when Suzaku's Chichiri tried to push her away so that she would not get hurt by him, even when he loved her. That is true love. Do you understand? Never underestimate the humans. Their emotions fuel their actions."

Seiryu nodded thoughtfully.

`So true love is selfless.' Unexpectedly, Seiryu felt strangely envious of Kamui.

`Throughout my entire existence, I have never felt an emotion like what Kamui is feeling now. And yet his age is but a tiny fraction of mine.'

`Will I feel that way someday?'

He did not have to be told that he had to love to be loved. That the first move must be his to make.

Suddenly, Seiryu stood up.

"Anou…where are you going, Seiryu?" Genbu asked.

Seiryu nodded gravely at his brothers.

"I am afraid that you have to excuse me. I believe that there is a long overdue trip to the mortal realm that I have to make."

##########

Kamui was about to make his way to his quarters when Aoi and Haiiro materialized beside him.

"We saw what happened." Aoi said, admiration shining in his eyes. Haiiro nodded gruffly and Kamui saw grudging respect there.

Kamui allowed himself a smirk.

"You are not here to tell me this, are you?"

Aoi and Haiiro looked at each other, and suddenly, Akai appeared around the corner and joined the trio. The auburn-haired man stood as far from Kamui as possible. It seemed that he was still not over the shouting episode yet.

"No, we are not." Haiiro said at last. "We are actually here to tell you that our help will always be extended to you anytime."

Akai and Aoi nodded in response.

Kamui sighed. He had nothing against the elementals at all, and if he was not wrong, neither did Chichiri, Sable, Kitten and Tasuki.

"If you want to apologize, I advise you to do it during meal times. Everyone will be there."

Kamui walked away.

Haiiro and Aoi's respect for the man went up a notch. Kamui had understood what they were trying to say, and in his own way, had told them that they are forgiven.

Even though they were given orders to defeat the seishi and Kamui, Chichiri and Sable had still invited them to stay at Kamui's house to recuperate.

Kitten had also understood that they were fulfilling orders and had not blamed them.

Aoi looked at his two partners.

"I don't know about you two, but I would very much want to befriend them. People like them are rare, and I think that I would like to know them better."

Haiiro nodded slightly and looked at Akai.

"So what do you think?"

Akai grinned, remembering the promise that he had made to himself earlier.

"I think that it is a great idea."

##########

It was nighttime, and everyone was gathered in the dinner area, with the exception of Kitten.

"I take it that she is staying with Tasuki again?" Kamui asked.

Sable nodded.

"Hai. I will take her meal to her later."

"Don't you think that it is a little unhealthy?" Haiiro asked. "The girl has been doing that ever since we returned from the fight."

Sable shook her head.

"It is what she wants, and at least she is eating. I am contented enough with that."

"Itadakimasu!!"

The group was about to dig in when the elementals stiffened.

"Nandato?" Kamui stared at the trio.

"He is coming." Akai whispered, face pale.

"Who is coming?" Sable asked.

Chichiri sighed. Not again.

"Seiryu is coming, no da."

"But why?"

Everyone stared at each other as they came to one answer.

Tasuki.

They were off and out of the room in three seconds flat.

##########

In the realm of the gods…

"HE WHAT?!!" Suzaku turned to stare at his two elder brothers with incredulity pasted all over his face.

"I think that he is going down to Kamui's."

"And what is he planning to do? Finish what he has started?"

Genbu and Byakko cringed. The venom in Suzaku's voice was enough to tell them that if the matter at hand, namely Tasuki, was not resolved properly, the vicious spat between Suzaku and Seiryu was most probably going to start all over again.

It was an experience that both elder gods did not wish to repeat.

"I don't care!! If he is going down, I am going down too!! I swear I will ki-blast him if he does anything to my seishi, that baka…" Suzaku's words trailed off as he teleported away.

Genbu and Byakko stared at each other. Then Genbu shrugged.

"There goes our entertainment. Let's go down too."

Byakko agreed.

"I think that we have to act as crowd control, in case a brawl really starts between the two."

Both gods teleported.

##########

Kitten was feeding Tasuki again when she felt another presence in the room. The blue-haired girl was shocked when she discovered the identity of the person that had materialized in front of her but instinct took over quickly and she threw the bowl of food at Seiryu. The dragon god ducked easily and made to go near the bed.

Kitten threw herself in front of Tasuki.

"If you want to get to him, you have to go through me first." Kitten tossed the words at Seiryu defiantly.

Seiryu saw fear in those amethyst eyes, but the girl stood firm.

`True love is selfless.' The god is seeing another example of it now. What is it with this particular group of mortals that makes them love so deeply?

Admiration for the girl grew.

However, Seiryu did not stop. He strode onwards unhesitatingly. Kitten was not surprised; she had known that the kami would not be threatened by a mere obstacle such as her. Thus Kitten decided to make her move. Changing her hands into deadly eagle talons, she lunged at Seiryu.

`What the…of all the things to do…' The dragon was taken aback at what Kitten was attempting. Attacking a god is a sure guarantee to death. But then that was not what he was here for; not his purpose, and thus, with a wave of his hand, an unseen hand grabbed Kitten and she was left hanging in mid-air.

Unhindered, the god moved to stop by the bedside. He stared sardonically down at Tasuki for a long while before lowering his hand towards the prone seishi.

"Iie!!" Seiryu stopped. Turning slightly, he turned to face Kitten.

"Iie?" He asked softly.

"Iie!! Please don't kill Tasuki." The girl said forcefully, trying desperately to fight the invisible bonds with no results. Resigned, she stopped struggling and stared at Seiryu with determination. "I will take his place."

This was the third time that Seiryu was surprised by Kitten ever since he arrived here. Flicking his hand imperceptibly, the bonds lowered Kitten gently on the ground and released her. The girl staggered slightly but kept her balance. A gentle hand lifted her chin, and Kitten came face to face with Seiryu.

"Do you mean what you said?" He demanded softly.

Kitten nodded stiffly. "Hai. A life for a life. I'd trade my life for his."

Seiryu stared at the girl for the longest time, but Kitten held her own. At last, the god broke eye contact and released her.

"Che." He smirked. "You really meant to give your life so that he could live."

Before Kitten could reply, the door burst open, and Kamui, Chichiri, Sable and the elementals spilled in.

"You!!" Sable cried. "What are you doing here, Seiryu?!!"

Chichiri and Kamui sank into defense positions whereas the elementals rushed deeper into the room to cover Kitten and Tasuki.

Seiryu's smirk widened into a lazy smile.

"Mou, Celestial Guardians, you were following my orders a few days ago. Switching sides so soon?"

Aoi and Haiiro remained silent.

"Gomen, Seiryu. But I made a promise to Kitten." Akai said at last.

"What did you promise?" Kitten asked. She did not remember.

Akai stared at her with resolve even as he went into a defensive pose.

"I promised not to fail your expectations. You will not regret forgiving me."

If Kitten was taken aback, she did not show it. Instead, she nodded.

"Domo, Akai."

Seiryu heard the hissing sound of a sword being withdrawn from its sheath. Turning, he saw Kamui, sword erect, ready for combat.

The god was confused now.

`Nanda? They were all under me a few days ago. All under my orders. But now, after meeting Suzaku's group, they are prepared to fight against me. Naze?'

"Why do you fight against me, your god? What has Suzaku's group offered to you?"

Aoi shook his head slightly.

"Iie, Seiryu." He said in his gentle way. "We are not fighting you for personal gains. We are fighting you because we have no choice; we have to protect our friends."

Chichiri, Sable and Kitten nodded to the elemental trio. It was an acknowledgement of friendship.

^^^^^^^^^^

"Never underestimate the humans. Their emotions fuel their actions."

^^^^^^^^^^

Seiryu recalled Genbu's words and allowed himself a secret smile. He had underestimated them again.

"What are you smiling about?" Akai asked.

Seiryu stared at them, and allowed the smile to grow into a smirk.

"How touching, to fight for friends. What a concept. But then, I am not here to listen to your preaching," Reminded of Seiyu's original motive, everyone became alert.

Heedless of the Celestial Guardians surrounding Tasuki, Seiryu strode back towards Tasuki.

"I cannot let you hurt Tasuki!!" The elementals attacked. However, before they could even near Seiryu, they found themselves suspended in the air. The same applied to the other occupants of the room.

"Imbeciles!!" Seiryu spat. "You forget that I am one of the four kami."

Thus said, the dragon god sat himself by Tasuki's side and raised a slim hand over the seishi.

"IIE!! SEIRYU!! I made a deal!! Onegai!!" Kitten was crying now. The rest tried to fight their bonds but they held firm.

Seiryu did not heed Kitten's cries.

Eyes bored, Seiryu muttered something under his breath, and blue light appeared from his finger tips to envelop Tasuki. Supported by the light, the seishi floated a few inches from the bed and…

"MATTE!!"

Suddenly the doors slammed opened again, this time to reveal Suzaku, Genbu and Byakko.

…and the blue light intensified and seemed to pierce their way inside Tasuki. Kitten watched with anguish as Tasuki's eyes widened and his mouth opened in a semblance of pain before closing again. At the same time, his back was arched in an impossible angle. The blue light disappeared completely into Tasuki then, and the seishi fell back onto the bed.

It was too late.

Heheheh…please don't kill me. From what I quote from DreamFeathers' review, I had supposedly killed off Tasuki, bring him back to life, made him comatose and now supposedly killed him again. Lol. What fun I am having, tormenting and messing with your minds!! However, I promise not to drag this any further…there are a lot of readers who are very aggrieved with me now and I am sure that they have a LOT of bones to pick with me…Come on, admit it, did I make you cry this chappie? *grins* I know that I did, to some of you that is.

But then, after torturing all of you for the past few chapters, I am kinda feeling a little guilty now. Yes, despite popular beliefs, rumors and accusations (in the review section that is), I do have a conscience and Tasuki IS my favorite bishounen in FY after all. So, I will say this now, the next chapter will conclude and explain most things. Stay for chapter 30 and I swear that you will not be disappointed. Afterall, I have already completed that chapter and thus I know what it is about…*evil grin* BUT, I will only post it next Saturday, as per normal. Lol, sucks to be a reader now. ^^

Thanks to Nuriko no Mikos for beta-editing this chapter!! Domo!!

Thanks to all my reviewers. Man, during the past few chapters of `Tasuki's tragic accident', I have received quite a few reviews by reviewers I have never heard of before. *looks thoughtful* Torturing a character sure helps a writer to unearth a lot of mystery readers, ne? ^^ Anyway, thanks for all the reviews that had been posted to me, new reviewers or no. I really appreciated each and every one of your comments. As for those who were in an amusing `little' fit about whether Tasuki lives or dies, all I can say is that my answer lies in chapter 30, which should be most satisfying for everyone.

Until then, ja!!