Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ Trapped ( Chapter 26 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Nuriko presses his back against the trunk of the tree, holding Miaka against his chest. His head is cocked to the side as he listens tentatively for any signs of pursuit, gaze unfocused. From the corner of his eye, he sees Miaka’s soft auburn hair, the soft curls brushing gently against his neck, but he tries to ignore it. Her scent fills him, engulfs him, but he hastily pushes pushed her out of his thoughts.

‘Hell, I’m gay,’ Nuriko thinks sharply, snapping back to reality as he realizes his thoughts had strayed. Muttering something beneath his breath, Nuriko glances over towards Tamahome, who presses himself to a nearby tree in much the same way Nuriko does, gaze intent on the two of them. Scratch that. Gaze intent on Miaka.

‘They were meant for each other,’ Nuriko thinks submissively, gazing solemnly at Tamahome. Catching his gaze, the blue haired boy returns Nuriko’s gaze for a moment before jerking back in surprise, quirking a brow in question. Grinning thinly, Nuriko shakes his head, returning to his inspection of the clearing.

Taking in a deep breath, grip tightening around Miaka, Nuriko listens another moment. A wind rustles the leaves in the trees above, filtering through the grass, but other than silence meets his searching sense. Heaving the breath he’d been holding, Nuriko gestures for Tamahome and slips out of hiding, drawing a startled Miaka with him.

“Are they gone?” she whispers urgently, clutching the hem of Nuriko’s robes. Absently, he realizes how cute she looks when she’s scared, how she seems to melt against him and-

‘Stop it!’ Nuriko reprimands himself sharply. He then realizes he’s staring down at Miaka, who returns his gaze with an intent look, and abruptly he glances away. ‘You’re gay.’ Features darkening, Nuriko shakes these disturbing thoughts from his head and glances over at Tamahome, who steps forward to join them.

“Are they gone?” Miaka asks again, this time more urgently. Despite the fact Tamahome is there, she continues to cling to Nuriko, even though he’d long since let his hands fall to his side. Triumph shoots through Nuriko and, bewildered, he hurls it raggedly away from him. ‘They were meant for each other.’

“No,” Nuriko replies, and grins at Miaka’s wide eyed stare. “This is Kouto, Miaka,” Nuriko says in a sarcastic tone, that cheeky grin on her lips. Lips pursing in a pout, Miaka releases Nuriko and turns away, folding her arms over her chest.

“Well no duh,” she says to the air, chin lifted in indignation. “I know that. I meant- well, you know what I man,” she says in exasperation, sniffing diligently. Glancing over at Tamahome in amusement, Nuriko shrugs her shoulders, and Tamahome nods gravely.

“I don’t think they’re following us,” Tamahome whispers slowly, taking a step closer to Miaka. Nuriko unclenches his fist and forces himself to calm down, to quell the jealousy raging within him. ‘You’re being foolish.’ “But I don’t think splitting up was such a good idea. Now we have no way of reaching the others, and no way of getting out of here!” He says, voice rising in aggravation. Squeezing his eyes shut, Tamahome turns towards a tree and smashes his fist into the trunk, sagging against it with a grunt.

Turning towards the young man, Miaka lets her arms fall to her side, her features visibly softening. Nuriko feels himself tense, and forces himself to relax, taking a step forward to prod Miaka. Starting in surprise, Miaka glances up at Nuriko, and he winks and gestures to Tamahome.

Nodding in response, Miaka steps forward and places her hands on Tamahome’s shoulders, drawing the youth away from the trunk to face her.

“You did all you could,” she says gently, peering up into his eyes. Tamahome stares back down at her, searching her face for something. “Don’t beat yourself up about it. Besides, we wouldn’t be able to leave anyway. Not before seeing Zoku.” Tamahome falters at the statement, turning to peer at Nuriko for support.

“Err…” Tamahome stutters in response, a pleading look in his eyes. Catching his uncertain air, Miaka frowns and follows his gaze, peering intently at Nuriko. Tugging his robes higher up towards his neckline, Nuriko rolls his shoulders with a cheeky grin.

“Well, Miaka…” the look in her eyes makes his tone serious, and with a sigh Nuriko let’s his arms fall to his side, façe straight and firm. “Don’t you think it’s odd that Zoku assured us no one would be here and then we were ambushed by soldiers? Almost like they knew where we were?” As her eyes widen in hurt surprise, Nuriko hurries on. “I know you don’t want to believe it, but face the facts. We didn’t make that much noise when we arrived.”

Shaking her head curtly, Miaka steps away from Tamahome, hands clenched at her chest.

“No, it isn’t true,” she says fervently, gazing at Tamahone and Nuriko in turn. Tamahome returns her stare, but Nuriko looks abashed; he didn’t want to see her hurt. Stubbornly, Miaka struggles on. “I know she doesn’t want to hurt us. She has a good heart. She has a good heart!” Tamahome’s eyes flash, and Nuriko strides forward to halt a confrontation.

“Are we talking about Yui, or Zoku?” Tamahome says in a soft, lethal voice, face downcast so his bangs veil his eyes. Nuriko halts mid-stride, stumbling slightly with an exasperated sigh. Great, his efforts just went down the drain; now a confrontation was all but promised, so with a worried frown Nuriko folds his arms over his chest.

Miaka stands stock still, staring blandly at Tamahome. Abruptly, she tosses her head from side to side.

“Zoku! We’re here for Zoku. We need to-“ Tamahome cuts her off sharply.

“Yui. You came here for Yui, and you know it,” he nearly shouts, head whipping up. Wincing at his tone and the level of his voice, Nuriko shushes him with soothing gestures, but Tamahome ignores him. “Face it, we only just met Zoku. For all we know, she’s been a Kouto asassin the entire time!” Realization dawns in Tamahome’s eyes, and Nuriko falters, finding the statement plausible. Hesitantly, he glances in Miaka’s direction to see her reaction. She’s on the verge of tears.

“No, I’m…” her features droop in defeated acceptance. “I’m here for Yui. It’s Yui I wanted to save, Yui I wanted to talk to.” Nuriko frowns, stepping forward to place a hand on Miaka’s shoulder. She glances up at him, sniffing bravely, forcing a grin. Nuriko smiles gently, and abruptly Miaka tosses herself against his chest and sobs. “Oh Nuriko,” she whispers into his chest, “what’s wrong with me? I should care about Zoku. I should. But I just wanted…Yui…but Tasuke was so…and then Zoku…” she cuts off with a stifled sob, shaking her head.

Hesitantly, Nuriko wraps his arms around her, gazing solemnly at the air above her head.

“I don’t know what to do,” she whispers, for Nuriko’s ears, and Nuriko’s ears alone. Abruptly a hidden meaning registers in the words, and Nuriko’s eyes widen, but he says nothing. Could she…?

‘No, they were meant for each other.’ The thought of Tamahome draws his gaze to the young man, and Nuriko finds him standing with his hands clenched into fists, arms rigid at his side. He looks torn between triumph and anger at hurting Miaka. And a bit of hesitance, as if he doesn’t quite want to believe the words he just uttered.

Sighing heavily, Nuriko takes a step away from Miaka with a cheerful grin, lifting her chin to face him.

“Hey, don’t get all dramatic on me, now!” he says in a cheerful voice, winking at Miaka. Blinking in surprise, Miaka gazes up at him with an unspoken question, but Nuriko merely chuckles. Even to his own ears, it sounds worried. “There’s no need to panic. We’ll go find the others, then find a way out of this place! It’s no bid deal,” he announces, patting Miaka’s shoulder in comfort.

Instantly, the girl’s features brighten, and she nods calmly.

“Yeah, that’s it! There’s no need to worry,” she states hesitantly, forcing a shakey laugh. Nuriko nods enthusiastically.

“That’s the Miaka we know and love,” he states with a feminine chuckle, placing a finger to his chin. “Now all we need to do-“

“Miaka, get down!” Tamahome bellows, throwing himself and Nuriko and Miaka. As he does so, an arrow whizzes out of the trees and pierces him in the side. A fountain of blood snakes forth from the wound, followed by a moan from Tamahome and a shriek from Miaka as he barrels into her. Their combined weight drags both to the ground.

“Miaka!” Nuriko wails, leaping forward to assist her comrade when a heavy object smashes into the back of her head. Stumbling forward with a grunt, Nuriko struggles to stay conscious as he falls to his knees, blinking groggily. With an effort, he gazes up at Miaka. She watches him balefully, eyes wide with fear and worry, mouthing his name.

“Mi-Miaka,” Nuriko murmurs. Then blackness engulfs him.