Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ White Stones in the Moonlight ❯ Flight ( Chapter 10 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The characters from Fushigi Yuugi are the creations and property of Yuu Watase and related enterprises. I do not own them, and do not make any profit from this fiction except for my own enjoyment in spending time with them.

But the aerial ambush platform is mine, all mine!

Musical Selection: Very important, as it inspired this whole chapter... "The Memory of Trees" by Enya, from her CD "The Memory of Trees" copyright 1995, Warner Records UK

This chapter is dedicated to the memory of my friend Ralph.

**************************************************************** **************************************************

Chapter 9. Flight (Nuriko, Chiriko, Miaka, Mitsukake, Tasuki)

The early afternoon sunlight shimmered on the east lawn of the Imperial Palace, illuminating the figure who walked across its green velvet expanse towards the darkness that signaled the beginning of the Imperial Wood. The brightness of the light made the figure seem to glow and dance as it moved - a false illusion which belied the actual weariness in each step the figure took. He walked with his head bowed, carrying something wrapped in silk against one shoulder as if it were a heavy burden although in truth, his strength would allow him to balance the object on one finger if he so desired.

Nuriko continued to stare at his feet as he walked, his long purple braid swinging gently, the dark circles under his eyes making the violet orbs appear even larger and brighter than usual. His heart was heavy as he pondered the events of the past few hours which had led him on this solo trek into the woods.

Mitsukake had come to see Tamahome once again this morning, and once again Tamahome had refused to respond to the tall doctor's gentle queries and soothing words. He just stared off into space, refusing all gestures of help or comfort - except from Nuriko. Tamahome still talked to Nuriko, although he talked less and less as each day passed. They spoke of innocuous and inconsequential things, events from their childhood, anything that could be spoken of without pain or introspection. Nuriko had noticed that Tamahome had stopped eating for the past two days, so he had drawn the healer aside, voicing his worries.

Mitsukake frowned in concern. "Refusing to eat is a way that people who feel helpless exert control over their environment." said the healer. "Tamahome has been deeply traumatized by the events of a few days ago, and it's no surprise that he feels his life is careening out of control. So we'll give him a little time - but if he doesn't start eating again in a day or two, we'll have to take that control away from him and force him to eat." he decided. Nuriko closed his eyes in pain - hating the problem and hating the solution at once. Mitsukake tipped up Nuriko's chin with one finger, examining the young seishi's face. "You are about to become very ill if you don't take a break from this soon." he said in concern, noting Nuriko's pallor and the dark circles under his eyes.

"I'm fine!" protested Nuriko. "And I can't leave Tama-chan alone here. Who else is going to be here for him?"

"Any one of the rest of us would be more than glad to take over for you for a while, Nuriko. Miaka told me that you turned her away three times already."

Nuriko looked away. "Tama refuses to see her - or anyone else. He only sees you because I force him to - and you can see all the good it does. He won't talk to you or even look at you…and I'm afraid that if I disobey any more of his requests, he'll treat me the same way, too - and then he'll have no one!" Nuriko's voice broke.

"All right, Nuriko. But you do need a least a couple of hours respite. So I'll make you a deal - I won't drag you out of here if you agree to meet me outside this afternoon, maybe while Tamahome's asleep." Mitsukake smiled as inspiration struck. "In fact, you must meet me - I want you to retrieve Tasuki's tessen from wherever you've hidden it and bring it to me. We'll meet in the first clearing in the eastern edge of the Imperial Wood." Mitsukake was pleased with this mandate, killing two, no three birds with one stone - getting Nuriko out into the fresh air, retrieving the tessen, and providing Nuriko with a pleasant surprise that was sure to lift his spirits.

Nuriko looked confused. "Why out there?" he asked.

"Just be there - doctor's orders!" commanded Mitsukake.

Nuriko recognized when he was up against a strength that matched his own, so he nodded in agreement. Then a thought occurred to him. "Mitsukake?" he asked hesitantly. "Do you think I could see Tasuki for a little while? I haven't seen him since the Star-Gazing Festival…" he choked slightly, then continued. "I mean, I understand that he may not want visitors either, but if I could just go in, sit by his bed, maybe just hold his hand… I promise I won't even talk, if he doesn't want me to!"

Mitsukake smiled. "Of course you can - but you have to meet me with the tessen first! Deal?"

"Deal!" said Nuriko, his expression brightening at the thought of offering comfort to the other casualty in this tragedy. In Nuriko's mind, Tasuki had disappeared with a suddenness that reminded him of the loss of his own beloved sister, Kourin. It would do his aching heart good just to see the bandit, if only to reassure himself that Tasuki was still alive. "I'll be there, Mitsukake!"

**************************************************************** **************************************************

Nuriko stepped into the shadows of the forest, inhaling the spicy scents of fragrant pine and sandalwood along with the scents of green growing plants and herbs. In spite of all his pain, he began to feel his spirits lift slowly, responding to the fresh air and the fragrance which surrounded him. These scents brought back memories of his travels with Hotohori and Miaka to find the three remaining Suzaku seishi - happy times, in spite of the dangers. It was in surroundings like this, on Mount Reikaku, that he first encountered Tasuki. Nuriko smiled as he recalled the impudence of the young bandit as he stole Miaka right out from under their noses - Nuriko and Hotohori had been beside themselves with fury as Genrou had laughed in their faces. What wouldn't he give to hear that taunting, mocking laugh right now? Instead, the best he could hope for was to see Tasuki, probably in a darkened room, and perhaps receive an answering squeeze of his hand.

Nuriko tilted his head to blink back his tears. He looked at the canopy of treetops above him, sunlight streaming through the higher branches, the leaves filtering the light so that it bathed him and the rest of the forest floor in a gentle greenish glow. Healing light, he thought, like Mitsukake's spheres… Heal me, he prayed silently, heal this heart so that I can be strong for the others…

Nuriko gripped his burden tighter, feeling the diamond sharp edges through the silk which encased it. It had to be a good sign, Mitsukake requesting the tessen to be removed from its hiding place. It had to mean that Tasuki was no longer a danger to himself, a thought that brought a hopeful smile to Nuriko's face. He remembered his confusion when Chichiri had instructed him to hide the tessen in a place where Tasuki would never find it. With those instructions in mind, he had taken the tessen to his old chambers in the heart of the concubine quarters. Tasuki was as likely to invade those ultra-feminine and sacrosanct premises as he was to sprout wings and fly…

Nuriko stepped into an area where the trees thinned yet reached out and joined their branches overhead, forming one large arching canopy which cast green shade on the long grass. A few beams of sunlight, hazy with dancing motes of dust and pollen, dodged around the leaves to stream into the open area. The cool vaulted dimness of this clearing with its scattered beams of light gave one the feeling of being sequestered in a huge hushed green temple. Up ahead, a few trees grew thicker together, encircling and almost closing off the shaded clearing. Yet man or nature had cleared out some of the trees in this border, leaving a wide gap like a gateway which then opened out onto a large sunny meadow - the first clearing that Mitsukake had mentioned. Just then, Nuriko caught the sound of childish laughter high above him. He looked up and glimpsed movement in the cluster of trees that bordered the gateway between the two clearings like green sentinels. To his utter amazement, he saw Chiriko take flight out of a dense patch of branches in one of the trees, flying out toward the sunny clearing that lay just ahead then swinging back in the direction from which he had come. New seishi powers? Nuriko thought blankly…then almost fell over as Miaka came flying out from the same area, laughing and trying to catch Chiriko's hands. She wore a pink floral outfit of silken pants and a high-collared long-sleeved shirt obviously of Konan origin, instead of her usual uniform from her own world. Nuriko just stood there utterly dumbfounded until he heard Mitsukake's deeper tones from the ground, calling out warnings and instructions as he pulled on silken ropes which looped over pulleys set high in the sentinel trees. The ropes were attached to previously unnoticed harnesses which were strapped to Chiriko's and Miaka's bodies. The two youngest members of the Suzaku team were pulled up, still laughing, until they reached the densely woven platform of branches high in one of the sentinel trees.

At that moment, Miaka caught sight of Nuriko staring up at them. "Nuriko!" she shrieked happily. "Nuriko's here!"

Suddenly stepping out from the platform was yet another figure that had gone unnoticed by Nuriko, the deep green and light tan of his garments blending perfectly with the surrounding trees. Nuriko had a brief impression of flames as the figure leaped off the platform, catching hidden lines and spiraling swiftly downward, then kicking off a tree trunk to swing towards Nuriko. Nuriko just stood there gaping as the figure flew directly at him. The next thing he knew, he was caught up in a strong embrace and was flying, flying through the air with the wind whistling in his ears. Just before they hit the tree trunks looming up before them, long legs reached out and kicked off the trees yet again. "Pull 'er up, Mitsukake!" a familiar voice shouted in his ears, then Nuriko felt them ascending, spiraling heavenward as patches of blue sky spun crazily in his vision. They touched down gently on the leafy platform in the trees, as Miaka and Chiriko came running up to them. Nuriko collapsed onto his knees, dimly noticing that the platform was actually made of sturdy wooden planks, the branches serving only as camouflage. A familiar mocking laugh rang out and a teasing voice said, "An' that, Chiriko, is what is known as a Mount Reikaku aerial ambush!"

Nuriko lifted his head, seeing the beloved fanged grin, the laughing amber eyes, and the fiery hair blown into wild dancing flames by the winds of their flight. "Tasuki?" he gasped in disbelief, then "Tasukiiiiiii!!!" he cried, jumping up, grabbing the bandit and pulling him into a fierce and frantic hug. Tasuki returned the embrace enthusiastically at first, but after several seconds his arms fell away as he began to push against Nuriko. "Can't… breathe…" he choked. Nuriko's eyes widened and he released Tasuki immediately. Now it was the bandit's turn to fall to his knees, gasping for air. "Dammit, Nuriko, how many times do I gotta tell ya to watch your own strength?! Shikuso! I saw my whole life pass before my eyes just now!" Tasuki staggered to his feet and went over to lean against one of the trunks.

Nuriko's violet eyes filled with tears as he gazed hungrily at his friend, taking in every detail from the dancing sparks in the amber eyes to the lazy grace as he lounged against the tree.

"Ahhhhh, crap, Nuriko…." Tasuki's voice was remorseful. "I didn't mean ta make ya cry! C'monnnn, stop it now. I'm sorry I yelled at ya, okay? So stop cryin', already…"

"You idiot, Tasuki!" Nuriko was laughing through his tears. "I'm crying because I'm happy, alright? I'm just so glad to see you! I missed you so much!" He smiled at his bandit friend. "I was so worried about you… but you look wonderful!"

Tasuki blushed and looked down, embarrassed for a moment that Nuriko obviously knew all - but then remembered his resolve not to be ashamed anymore. He glanced up into Nuriko's eyes, taking his first good look at his friend - and was shocked.

"I may look good, but you look like SHIT!" he exclaimed. "What the hell have you been doin' ta yourself?!" Tasuki gazed anxiously at Nuriko's pale face with dark circles under the over-bright eyes, his violet-tinted dark hair hanging limply around his face while his clothes hung baggily on his frail frame. "Ya decide to go on a reduce-yourself-to-nothin' diet or somethin'? I thought ya didn't weigh much more than a bird when I picked you up just now! What's up with you, anyway?!"

"Tactful as always, Tasuki." Nuriko grumbled. "I'm all right - just a little tired and stressed for the last few days…" He flinched as he remembered to whom he was complaining. He looked up timidly into Tasuki's face. "I've been down in the lower levels… with Tamahome…" he said hesitantly.

Tasuki's amber eyes suddenly flashed with pain so raw and intense that Nuriko gasped, feeling as if he were being burned and drowned at the same time. He was shocked to see this expression, now so bitterly familiar in Tamahome's eyes, reflecting in eyes that had previously only shone with mischief and joy. Nuriko cringed, ashamed at thinking that just because Tasuki was walking freely around the forest, it meant that he wasn't suffering as badly as Tamahome. His eyes filled with tears again, this time with empathy for his wounded friend.

Miaka crept up quietly behind Tasuki, placing her hand on his shoulder. He closed his eyes, reaching his hand up to cover hers then pulling her hand to his cheek, seeming to draw strength from her touch. Nuriko was surprised at the intimacy of this gesture between the two, although Chiriko seemed to take it in stride. Tasuki opened his eyes, forcing his pain back, then grinned at Nuriko.

"Well, there's only one thing to do when you're feeling like shit!" he exclaimed. "Miaka, can we borrow your harness?" He squinted at Nuriko's frail form. "Although Chiriko's might fit you better now…"

"Ne, Tasuki! Stop picking on Nuriko!" scolded Miaka, removing her harness and handing it to him. Tasuki strapped it swiftly around Nuriko, adjusting it so that it fit snugly around his chest. Nuriko stood dumbly in front of him, too overcome with his wildly fluctuating emotions to protest.

"Hey, Mitsukake, you ready to work those ropes?" Tasuki shouted down to the forest floor.

"Suuurrre." grumbled the healer. "That's why I went to the trouble of getting medical training - so I could pull on ropes all day. Strained shoulders, pulled arm muscles - that's what I live for." he muttered.

"Yeah, shuddup, ya know ya love it." teased the bandit. "Plus remember - there's a tessen around here somewhere that's gettin' rusty from disuse. A certain hard-workin' someone might get the chance to work the kinks out of it."

"Yeah, well, I'm holding you to that promise!" Mitsukake shouted back.

"Where is the tessen, anyway? Nuriko?"

Nuriko pointed down to the forest floor, where he had dropped it when Tasuki swooped down on him.

"Okay, you dropped it..." said Tasuki in a mock threatening tone, advancing on Nuriko once more, "…you gotta go get it!" and he pushed Nuriko off the platform.

**************************************************************** **************************************************

"Kyaaahhhhhhhhhh!" screamed Nuriko as he fell, not realizing that Tasuki had jumped with him, holding onto the rope on the back of Nuriko's harness with one hand. The rope pulled taut, stopping their headlong descent and swinging them outward in a wide arc.

"Let's FLY!" shouted Tasuki, wrapping his free arm around Nuriko as they soared upward into the bright sunlight of the meadow. They hung suspended for a moment at the top of the arc, then began to fall backward and down.

"Kyaaahhhhhhhhhh!" shrieked Nuriko, feeling the iron hand of gravity snatching them swiftly back into the shaded clearing.

"C'mon, quit screaming like a girl!" laughed Tasuki, reaching out long legs to kick off the rapidly approaching tree trunks at the edge of the small clearing, launching them back towards the sunlight once again.

"Kyaahhh-a-ha ha ha ha ha!" Nuriko couldn't help laughing with exhilaration as the sensation of flying finally caught him up in its spell. The wind rushing in his face, the dizzying swoops as they rose and fell, the sheer blessed relief of having his dear friend laughing with him, strong and vibrant once again - all these feelings combined in a swell of happiness so huge that Nuriko felt himself break the bonds that tied him to the earth, leaving him to fly unfettered and free.

They flew between heaven and earth, shade and sun, soaring, laughing, exulting in their aerial ballet and the sheer joy of being alive. Finally, after several circuits of the two clearings, Tasuki began to look over Nuriko's shoulder, examining the ground. "Where d'ya think it is?" he shouted, raising his voice to be heard above the wind whistling around them. Nuriko pointed down at the glimmer of pale silk in the grass of the shaded clearing.

"Okay, Mits, bring us down about fifteen feet!" shouted Tasuki. "I'm gonna pick up the tessen!"

The rope lowered gradually, but they were still too high to reach the tessen. If the rope dropped any further, they would bump along the ground at the bottom of the trajectory.

Tasuki suddenly slipped around Nuriko's body so that they were face-to-face. Nuriko shrieked in surprise. "Girly boy!" teased Tasuki, then wrapped his legs around Nuriko's waist, hooking his feet around the rope. "Hold onto my belt!" he shouted. Nuriko, confused by their weird position in midair, numbly obeyed Tasuki's order.

"Mits!" he shouted. "Lower us two feet when I say Down!, then bring us up again two seconds later! Got it?"

"Your every wish is my command, oh master!" shouted the doctor sarcastically.

As they skimmed over the shaded grass, Tasuki suddenly shouted "Down!" He then released his grip on Nuriko's shoulders and hung upside down.The rope dropped sharply, enabling him to reach out and snatch up the tessen. "Whoo-hoo!" he shouted in victory, then coughed as Mitsukake jerked the rope up again. Tasuki flipped himself up to grab at Nuriko's shoulders again then scrambled to assume his previous position. Pulling the silk off the tessen, he shoved the diamond fan into the waiting holster at his back. "Got my baby back..." he crooned.

Nuriko rolled his eyes, grimacing as he was elbowed and jabbed as Tasuki tried to get comfortable again. "Watch it, fang-boy!" he growled. "I'm not your damn horse!"

"Yeah, well, whatcha gonna do about it?" mocked Tasuki, wrapping Nuriko's long braid around his free hand. "I knew all this hair would be useful for somethin'...Gee UP!" he shouted, tugging on Nuriko's braid as they fell back from the sunlight once more.

"All right, that's it!" snarled Nuriko. "Nuriko Always Wreaks Revenge!" he cried as they swung back into the shaded clearing. Reaching his legs out ahead of Tasuki's, he kicked off the trees, his strength sending them rocketing back through the shaded clearing as if they had been shot from a cannon.

"Gaahhhhhhhh!" screamed Tasuki. Nuriko turned to laugh up into his face. "Who's screaming like a girl now?" he taunted. Tasuki's eyes widened in terror and he began to shriek "Tree, tree, TREE!!!" Nuriko had pushed them off their usual trajectory and they were now headed straight for one of the sentinel trees next to the gateway.

"Yipp!" shrieked Nuriko and threw up a gauntleted arm just as they impacted the tree, snapping the trunk in two, the falling crown of the tree making way for their Nuriko-propelled blast into the sunlight. The rope jerked hard at the top of the arc, yanking them back toward the shaded clearing.

"Rope... can't take... this stress!" gasped Tasuki. No sooner had the words left his mouth than they felt another sharp tug on the line. Looking up, they saw that nearly all of the strands of the rope had snapped, leaving them hanging by a single thread. Just then, the last thread snapped and they fell...

"Gaahhhhhhh!"

"Kyaaahhhhh!

...a total distance of six feet onto the forest floor, landing in a tangle of limbs. "Oof!" said Nuriko, somehow managing to land on top of Tasuki. A stream of curses issued from beneath him, muffled by the long grass. Childish laughter rippled through the upper branches of the trees as Miaka and Chiriko peered down from the platform. Mitsukake strolled casually into the clearing and untangled the two aerialists, pulling them to their feet. Tasuki was still cursing, the effect somewhat diminished by the fact that he was still spitting out grass.

"You can thank Suzaku and me that I was keeping a close watch on you!" scolded Mitsukake. "I knew that it was only a matter of time before you two jokers pulled some life-threatening stunt! I lowered the rope to shorten your fall, just in time as it turned out!"

Tasuki finally spat out the last blade of grass. "It was his fault!" he said defensively, pointing at Nuriko.

"Oh, yeah? Well, you started it!" retorted Nuriko, glaring back at Tasuki.

"Children, children..." reproved Mitsukake. "Make up and play nice, or I won't let you play together anymore." He sighed. "I seem to be doing this a lot lately. So much for the formidable Suzaku Seven. We're really going to intimidate the daylights out of the Seiryuu warriors with our terrifying hair-pulling spats."

Tasuki and Nuriko tried to continue glaring at each other but were having trouble keeping their faces straight. Nuriko broke first, snorting with laughter. "You should have seen your face, Gen-chan!" he giggled helplessly.

"Yeah, well, you weren't exactly Mr. Cool-and-Collected yourself!" mocked Tasuki good-naturedly. "Tree-murderer!"

"Hey, I saved your ass with that move!"

"Yeah, and your own as well...and only after you put us in danger in the first place!"

"Yeah, well..." Nuriko faltered. Unable to think up a suitable retort, he stuck out his tongue and pulled down on one eye.

"Ooooohhh, that hurts! Save me, Mitsukake!" Tasuki cried out in a falsetto and ducked behind Mitsukake as Nuriko threw a half-hearted punch.

"All right, punishment time." declared the healer. "You," grabbing Tasuki and shoving him towards the platform. "Climb up under your own power and help the other two. And you!" he snagged Nuriko as the purple-haired seishi tried to sneak away. "It's your turn to work the ropes!"

"Hey, Mits, you wanna try flying?" offered Tasuki.

"Uh-huh, right, as if I'm really going to place my life in the hands of you two. Forget it! I like myself with all my limbs in their current orientation, thank you very much!"

"Wuss!" mumbled Tasuki as he walked past Nuriko. "Wimp!" agreed Nuriko.

"Hey, I heard that!!"

**************************************************************** **************************************************

Nuriko breathed deeply as he pulled on the ropes, finally releasing one of the silken cords once Tasuki touched down with Chiriko in the shaded clearing. They had made several flights as Tasuki taught Chiriko how to swoop down on unsuspecting victims. Nuriko could picture the impressive sight of twenty or more of the Mt. Reikaku bandits dropping out of the trees like avenging angels. No wonder they had had such a formidable reputation! By the time their victims recovered their breaths, the bandits would be long gone with all their loot. Of course, the bandits hadn't seemed so impressive when Nuriko had first encountered them - but at that time, they were still under the incompetent leadership of that imbecile Eiken. However, with Tasuki in charge, they could be a criminal force to be reckoned with. Nuriko shook his head at the thought of a Suzaku seishi robbing the worthy citizens of Konan. Hopefully, Tasuki would lose interest in his bandit career by the time they all returned from their quest to summon Suzaku.

Nuriko stretched, arching his back and rolling his shoulders. It felt good to be active again, to feel the pull of his muscles as they flexed and released, the adrenaline flowing through his veins making him feel alive again. He realized that the forced inactivity of his imprisonment with Tamahome was contributing to his depression and sense of hopelessness. Right then, Nuriko resolved to get himself moving around in the prison, even if it was just doing stretches and lifting weights - although he wasn't quite sure what Tamahome would think when he saw Nuriko hopping around. Maybe Tamahome would join him…
Nuriko's eyes brightened with hope as he watched Tasuki climb confidently up to the platform. If Tasuki could make such strides in recovering, perhaps Tamahome could do the same. "Suzaku willing!" Nuriko prayed silently.

He shaded his eyes to focus on the two figures still remaining on the platform. "Are we done yet?" he shouted up to Tasuki, who was adjusting Miaka's harness snugly around her. "Just one more!" Tasuki shouted back. Mitsukake strolled up, placing a hand on Nuriko's shoulder. "I'll take care of this - you take a break now, okay?" Nuriko nodded, looking forward to watching Tasuki fly one more time without being distracted by the ropes. Tasuki waved at Mitsukake to show that they were ready, then placing one arm around Miaka's waist and holding onto the rope with the other, he launched them out into the open air.

Miaka laughed with glee as they swung out into the slanting rays of the descending sun. Tasuki's arm held her clasped firmly against his body as they flew together through sunlight and shadow. His lips moved next to her ear as he murmured something softly to her, and she laughed out loud again. Nuriko was struck yet again at the intimacy between the two - and at how right they looked with each other. The smile left his face as he realized what he was seeing. His heart sank as he thought of Tamahome. "Tama truly has lost everything." he thought sadly. "His self-respect, his seishi powers, and now Miaka… I know that I don't have the heart to tell him about this." Nuriko closed his eyes in pain, not wishing Tasuki and Miaka ill, but just wishing that it didn't have to be…

Suddenly he felt a comforting hand laid on his arm. He opened his eyes to see Chiriko's young face gazing up at him, the sunlight tinting his chestnut hair with pinkish highlights.

"We can neither choose who we love, nor who loves us." Chiriko's voice was earnest, compassionate. "You of all people should understand this, Nuriko." Nuriko lowered his eyes in acknowledgement.

"But the fact that love exists at all, that it can be brought forth from a situation of such darkness and pain - this is reason enough for celebration, no matter what the consequences may be. Love itself is a jewel beyond price, and we must treasure it wherever and whenever we find it. And we must also believe that love exists for a reason, that its meaning will be made clear to us as time goes on and imparts to us her wisdom."

Nuriko felt the truth and wisdom in Chiriko's reassurances reverberate inside of him. He secreted the words in his heart, to be examined and marveled over in the dark quiet times of his life. Chiriko's words brought to mind not only Tasuki, Miaka, and Tamahome, but also himself and Hotohori and Kourin and all those who he held close to his heart. His eyes softened in gratitude, and he squeezed Chiriko's little hand.

"Thank you, Chiriko." he said huskily. "Your words comfort me and bring me peace."

Chiriko looked up into the bright violet eyes of his fellow seishi. "You are my brother." he said simply. "What better use for my learning than to help the ones I love most?"

Nuriko bent and scooped Chiriko into his arms for a brief gentle hug.

Tasuki and Miaka had landed safely and were still laughing as they removed her harness. Mitsukake walked around the clearing, winding up ropes. Chiriko took Nuriko's hand, waving goodbye to the others, as Nuriko turned to begin his journey back to the darkness where Tamahome awaited him.

When they reached the east lawn of the palace, Chiriko stopped at the edge of the forest and squeezed Nuriko's hand. He turned to face Nuriko and spoke again.

"He doesn't hate Tamahome, you needn't fear that. He just needs to recover a little more, to grow a little stronger. Then maybe his love for Tamahome will overcome his pain, and he will be able to face his brother again. You must have faith, Nuriko."

Nuriko smiled at his littlest brother. "I do, Chiriko." As he turned and headed back across the green velvet expanse, the late afternoon sunlight shimmered on his form, making it appear to glow and dance. This time, the figure lifted his arms up to the light and danced along with the sunbeams, letting hope flow into his heart once again.

**************************************************************** **************************************************

**************************************************************** ***************************************************

Author's Note: (1-13-03) Sentimental, ne? I can't help it - I just felt that Nuriko really needed to fly. Now we need to rescue Tamahome...but when? Teeeeeeeease!

This was also my attempt at getting a few more visual descriptions of settings into this fic.

Okay, here we go. (takes deep breath) The next chapter contains... well, I'll just spell it out in plain language. Chapter 10, Enchantment, contains serious erotica, as in Ser-i-ous E-rot-i-ca. I don't wish to offend any of my faithful readers, so I thought that I would give you a warning - if this sort of thing bothers you, either skip Chapter 10 altogether, or at least the third section of it. But if you made it through Chapters 1-3... well, make your own decisions. You know my style by now - not explicit, but you will know what's happening...

On a more serious note, this chapter is dedicated to the memory of my friend Ralph, who passed away around this time last year. He was a gentle soul who had been born with spina bifida and was confined to a wheelchair for most of his life. I have faith, so I know where he is right now - running, leaping, soaring, laughing now that he has shed the iron chains that shackled him to this earth. This chapter is dedicated to you, my gentle friend - be happy, forever flying, forever free.