G Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Before The War ❯ A Talk With Ronin ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FQ: Sup! Before I do anything, I'd like to apologize for the delay with this and all future chapters. I am working on an Inu-Yasha fic as well. (Just when this story's getting good, too.) Well, how are we today? Good, good. Did you remember to review? Good, good. Again, reviews are greatly appreciated. Now- huh? *Stares at Marie*

Marie: *Giving the 'death stare' to Fictionqueen* What did you do to my George?!!!

FQ: Oh…ah…nothing.

Marie: Nothing, right…* Presses FQ's face against the screen* Now, what did you do to my George?!!

FQ: Listen, princess, I'm an orange belt in karate! I don't want to hurt you, but…

*Sesshomaru and Naraku sitting in corner*

Sesshomaru: 300 yen on the chick with the orange belt.

Naraku: *Nods*

Sailor Venus: *Looks around* *thinks* If they're both fighting over him… *Yelling* VENUS LOVE-ME CHAIN!!

George: *Chained up and being dragged away* A little help over here! Somebody!

*FQ and Marie who are now in a fistfight look over there and jump Sailor Venus*

Sailor Pluto: *Walks up* Looks like I have my job back. Sorry for the interruption. *Looks over at the scene and cringes* I think we might need an ambulance in a minute. * Turns back at the screen* Well, here's the story.

Before The War

Chapter 9

The group had been walking for a while, not really knowing where they were going. Alexandra had been looking through the book the whole time looking for some kind of clue, all of which it was devoid of. Sarai walked beside her. "Did you find anything yet?" she asked. Alexandra shook her head grimly. She sighed and looked away.

Sarai listened to the crunching of the gravel beneath her feet. She looked backwards. "I wonder how long we've been lost," she thought. That's when she felt a bad vibe. She looked past the edge of the road and strained her eyes to see past the tall grass. There was barely any breeze but the grass would move occasionally like something, or someone, was making it do so. She was beginning to feel a little uneasy. She turned her head back and stared at the gravel once more. Then she saw something move out of the corner of her eye. She quickly turned her head back and stared at where the disturbance had been.

Alexandra walked up to her side. "What is it?" she asked. Sarai looked back at her for a moment, as if she needed to see who it was, turned her head back and spoke. "I saw something move over there," she replied. "It was probably just an animal," Alexandra reassured her. Sarai nodded, yet she still kept watch. "Something's out there, I just don't know what," she thought. She then heard a strange buzzing noise, like a walky-talky, quickly followed by talking that she couldn't make out. Eric started walking next to her, and he had the exact same look on his face as she did. "Someone's out there," he said, almost in a whisper. Sarai nodded in agreement. Now it was just a matter of who was out there. Sarai looked over again to try and see what was there, and then she heard a loud click.

All of them had heard the click, or at least one of them as ten soldiers dressed in black Kevlar body armor and black helmets stood up and readied their guns. Alexandra, Ronin, Sarai, Jacque, and Eric all turned and prepared to defend themselves.

"Commander Kaioh!" one of the soldiers called. The look on Ronin's face changed completely from one of anger to that of disbelief. "Men! Attack!" called the female voice belonging to the one dubbed as Commander. The men dispersed upon the five of them, but Ronin's focus was still owned by Commander Kaioh. "Michiru?" he asked in disbelief. The woman slowly took off her helmet and looked him in the eye. "Ronin?" she asked in turn. "I'm sorry," she said hesitantly raising her gun and aiming for him, "I've been given strict orders to kill you and those who provide shelter for you, assassin!" By the time she was ready to shoot, his had his ready and aimed. "To think, you used to have respect for me," he said as a smirk grew on his face. Michiru moved her fingers to the trigger. "Damn it, Kasshu! Don't you toy with me! I'm not afraid to shoot!" she yelled. He looked at her with an expression that was already full of regret. "I'm sorry to have to do this to you, Michiru. You were a good friend," he said, firing his weapon. She was just about to shoot, when he hit her in the leg with a dart. She winced in pain and dropped her gun. He looked at her with remorse, but, what was done, was done. She slowly dropped to her knees, and then fell down in entirety. He looked down at her, with the slightest trace of a tear in his eye. "I'm sorry, my friend."

The other soldiers fought on, although they were too boggled by the thought of how one man could so quickly kill their commander with one shot to the leg, and they were quickly defeated. They hadn't killed them, only left them unconscious, save their commander. They had left the main road, and were all sitting on a ledge over looking a small river. Ronin, as always, was sitting alone, isolating himself from most human contact.

Alexandra, Eric, Sarai, and Jacque were all sitting together, and they all, except for Alexandra, were talking. Not about specific things, just about what they were thinking, mostly. Alexandra, of course, wasn't a part of the conversation. She couldn't get her mind off of Ronin.

It was mostly one question she had for him. "Why did he kill her?" she thought. He apparently knew her from somewhere. "But why kill your friend?" she asked herself. She turned her head and looked at him. He was sitting with his back facing them, and as far as she could tell, he had his head in his hands. She stood up and walked over to where he was sitting.

She stood behind him for a moment and just stared. "What?" he asked coldly. She walked the short distance forward and sat down next to him. He tilted his head in her direction. "What?" he asked again. "That girl, you seemed to know her," she said. He looked back over at the river for a moment, then turned his gaze back where it had been. "Michiru," he said softly, "Michiru Kaioh. She was a great friend to me." "Then why? Why did you do that to her?" Alexandra demanded. "It was either me, or her," he answered simply. She just gazed at him with tears forming in her eyes. She felt as though she were feeling the pain that he didn't know how to suffer, like he was immune to everything anyone could throw at him. "The Ronin Kasshu she knew died years ago," he continued. "Were you two in…" Alexandra trailed off. He shook his head slowly. "You act as though you don't even care," she said, her voice reflecting how angry she felt that he cared nothing for her compassion. "I've cried a lifetime's worth of tears two times over. I'm starting to think my soul gave up years ago, but my body still lives on," he said. Alexandra looked away for a moment. "How could anyone so cold and shallow be so deep and caring all at the same time?" she asked herself. Ronin stood up and a small smile almost found a place upon his features. Not one of his usual smirks, but a warm, almost loving smile. "It was nice talking with you, Alexandra," he said, before walking off. She had an expression of amazement and confusion on her face. She turned her head back and looked at the river. "Yeah, you too."