G. I. Joe Fan Fiction ❯ A Snake with a Temper ❯ Chapter 5: Damn Ninjas ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5: Damn Ninjas

Snake Eyes poked at Temper's side after Wild Bill got off the plane. She mumbled curses under her breath, pushed his hand away, and adjusted her position. He poked her sleeping form again and got the same reaction. He thought about what he was about to do then picked her, bridal style. It was night time which means nobody was up except for patrols and the techies that watch the cameras. Snake Eyes carried her through the halls, passed his room, and entered hers using the key she put on top of the door frame. He was not sure whether or not to be surprised when he turned on the light. There was nothing in the room, save for a bed, dresser, and desk. It was standard size, her bed was put horizontally against the wall, in front of the door. The dresser was at the foot of the bed, the desk, directly to his right, was on the other side of the dresser. On the farthest wall were two doors, one to a bathroom, the other to a small closet. He laid her gently on the bed and walked out the door before curiosity could get the better of him. He looked back to the door, reopened it, and looked to see Temper still sleeping. He walked back in and shut the door quietly. He searched the room for anything personal or something out of place. He found nothing.

Snake Eyes looked back at Temper, still out, then at the bed, the one place he did not search. He got on the ground and looked underneath. He made out the silhouette of a long, rectangular box. Reaching for it, he pulled out a hard, black rifle case. He undid the latches and flipped the lid open. There was a black sniper rifle lying on the grey foam, four clips lined next to it. He thought nothing of the gun and went to close the case when he saw two smaller latches holding a plastic board behind the foam. He removed the clasps hold and laid the foam and plastic sheet on top of the rifle. A katana in a sheath laid in front of him, it's twin, missing. He lifted the sword out of the case. It's black handle not worn from use. The black sheath looked new. The red clan symbol of the Arashikage was marked just below the handle, on the sheath and on the sword when he pulled it out. The blade was sharp and new. He wondered why she only had one of two, but quickly chided himself.. He should not have been searching her room. He quickly put everything back where it was and hurried out the door. When he got to his room a million questions ran through his head. He thought that if he found anything remotely interesting in her room it would answer questions she refused to talk about. Instead, it just fueled his curiosity more.
***
Temper woke up in her room, the last thing she remembered was falling asleep in the plane. A knock sounded on her door, when she opened it she was disappointed to find the redhead and not the black clad ninja.

"Oh, it's you," Temper said disgruntled.

"Yes me," Scarlett agreed, holding out her hand to stop the door Temper tried to shut. "Hawk wants you," Scarlett informed her as she stopped the door again from closing on her. Temper threw the door toward her again. "Now!" Scarlett ordered as she pushed against the door. Temper huffed and let go of the door making Scarlett jerk forward. Temper smirked and walked out, shutting the door behind her. Scarlett glared at her as she walked down the hall.
***
When no one answered from the other side of the door, Temper walked into Hawk's office. Hawk looked up from his papers and motioned for her to sit down. She plopped herself on the chair and leaned her head in her hand, looking bored.

"I've called you here to discuss your missions," he informed her. "You did, in fact, complete Operation Little Antarctica, yes?"

"Yes sir," Temper replied, handing him the flash drive she kept in her pocket. He took it from her and she watched with curious eyes as he put it in one of his locked drawers. "What exactly was on their computers?" she asked, remembering what Snake Eyes said earlier. Hawk looked at her closely.

"Information about some weapons that they are creating. Word is that Cobra is planning something big." Temper nodded in understanding.

"I shouldn't have doubted you. I'm sorry," Temper told him.

"You had a right to know, I should've told you earlier. Speaking of telling things early, I will be attending a weapons meeting for M.A.R.S. Industries," General Hawk informed her.

"McCullen?"

"He's the one who's supplying, but a picture can be forged, the higher ups will want more proof before we can go after one of America's biggest weapons supplier."

"I can see why they would want more proof."

"The Alpha team will be watching over a NATO convoy with a weapon that M.A.R.S. industries is shipping from their headquarters."

"Is there a reason you're disclosing this information to me?"

"Lifeline is sick so you will take his place as medic," Hawk told Temper.

"I'm sure there are plenty of people who could-"

"I need you. Cobra is bringing out operatives that only work in the shadows. This is important if they're putting some of their best men out there. It may not be this mission, but I won't take chances. Heavy Duty will be in charge, Breaker will be watching from the plane. Breaker will be given strict instructions to let you on the ground when things start to go south. Only when things start to go south," Hawk instructed. "If any of the NATO soldiers refuse to hand over the weapon, stick this in the ground when I give the command." Hawk handed her a metal stake, a hologram projector. "I'll take over from there."

"Does the Alpha team know about this mission?" Temper asked, taking the stake from him.

"No. They will be briefed later. Any questions?"

"No sir." Temper got up from her chair.

"Another thing I would like to bring to your attention, Snake Eyes."

"Is something wrong?"

"He was in your room," Hawk informed her.

"Yes, I knew about that, he must've carried me from the plane."

"Yes, but it doesn't take 15 minutes to put someone on their bed and leave. He exited your room then re-entered and left almost 13 minutes later." Temper's hands straightened out and bawled into fist several times. "I'm giving you an opportunity to confront him about it yourself. Don't make me regret it. Dismissed." She gave him a short bow and left.
***
Temper walked through the halls, looking for Snake Eyes. After operations the team or soldier is given a certain amount of time to recuperate. Snake Eyes, however, clearly does not like to rest as she found him in the sparring room, talking to Scarlett after his more advanced class. Scarlett smiled, nodded to him, and left with some girls to get a shower in the locker room. Temper walked up to the ninja.

"Did you take me to my room after we landed?" she asked, testing his reaction.

You didn't wake up, so yes, I carried you to your room, he confirmed.

"Well I applaud you for your gentlemanliness," she said sarcastically, "but is there a reason you didn't leave until 13 minutes later? What the hell were you doing?!" Anger rose inside of her.

There is no reason to justify the means, he admitted.

"Try me," she dared.

I searched your room.

"For what?"

Something off.

She was not taken aback by this, though she knew she should have been. "You still don't trust me?" What will it take to get this man off my back?! she shouted internally.

Not in the slightest.

"That doesn't give you any right to look through my room!"

That's the only right I need! If it was possible to yell in sign language, he did.

"You have NO business going through my room. Do it again, and you'll be speaking to Hawk."
She knew she sounded like she was tattle taling, but it is not like she could threaten him, Hawk told her to not make him regret letting her handle it herself. She turned and left as people started to file out of the locker room. All the way to her room Temper kept repeating, "Damn ninjas."
***
NATO Weapons Command
"For nearly four centuries my ancestors have been the greatest creators of weaponry in the world." M.A.R.S. appeared in red lettering on the screen. A middle aged man with brown, slicked back hair, known as James McCullen XXIV, stood in front of a small audience of military men and women. "But perhaps in this century, I'll outdo them all." McCullen motioned with his hand to the screens behind him. A picture of a metal bug showed up. "Nanomites," McCullen informed with his Scottish accent, "perfect little soldiers." A video played, showing a few of these nanomites eating an orange organism. "Originally developed to isolate and kill cancer cells, but at M.A.R.S. Industries, and with the help of a little NATO funding, we discovered how to program them to do almost anything. For example," another video came up, "eat metal." A tank slowly rolled forward, then the camera moved it's focus to the far right, where a man was about to shoot a warhead at it. "Watch this test of the world's first nanomite warhead." When the man in the video shot the warhead it flew to collide with the target. Upon impact, the warhead burst and let out a green cloud that left nothing in it's wake. "Each of these warheads contain seven million nanomites and has the ability to eat anything from a single tank, to an entire city." To make his point, a simulation model of a city came on screen. An animated warhead came into contact with the city and ate everything it touched. "As you can see, it quickly converts to eating any and all material in it's path. Once unleashed, the nanomites will not stop, ever." The view of the fake city zoomed out to show more buildings around it. The green cloud spread over the structures, and made everybody who was watching, aware of the damage a warhead could cause. "Once the target has been destroyed, the launcher triggers the kill switch, unique to each warhead, that short circuits the nanomites. Preventing any unwanted destruction." Pictures of children playing and other civilians popped up on screen.

"Gentlemen," James McCullen started, "I'm pleased to announce that tomorrow morning, your first order of Nano-tech warheads, ships from my factory in Clishstan." Applause sounded from the audience. In the back, unseen by most, General Hawk watched McCullen.