Gakuen Alice Fan Fiction ❯ The journey to find the Alice in America ❯ What happened on the airplane ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

“I'm bored.” Mikan complained in the airplane. “The airplane hasn't even taken off. Be quiet and go to sleep, or else you'll start complaining even louder and disturb everyone in the plane.” Hotaru said, reading a book called `Great Expectations' by Charles Dickens.
 
Mikan read that book before; she read it when a pen pal suggested her to read it. Hotaru was sitting at the left side next to Mikan, Natsume was in the other side of Mikan, and Ruka was at the end of the row, beside Natsume.
 
The reason why Mikan and Natsume had to sit next to each other was because Ruka wanted to stay as far away from Hotaru as possible because Hotaru was using Ruka blackmail pictures pasted on a strip of paper as a bookmark.
 
Probably to remind her to blackmail Ruka frequently. Anywho, back to the airplane. Mikan was cured from her boredness for about five minutes after the airplane took off but then she started to get bored again, and also sleepy.
 
Soon, she was asleep, and the only place she got to sleep on was on Natsume's shoulder, because Hotaru (I had no idea how Hotaru got Mikan to lean on Natsume, and I lost fifty brain cells trying to figure out how, but I guess, I'll just have to make an unbelievable story) created an alice-nullifying invention.
 
(Huh? That sounds believable to me, suddenly, once I typed it into the computer. AMAZING!!!) Hotaru managed to create that invention all because of Mikan's alice, so Natsume couldn't burn Hotaru when Hotaru told him to let Mikan lean on him.
 
Three hours later, Mikan woke up, and she was horrified to find out that she was resting her head on Natsume's shoulder while sleeping. She apologized furiously, and was deeply relieved Natsume didn't burn her, but Natsume didn't seem to be listening to her.
 
That was because he was reading a book he probably took out of his backpack. It was strange seeing Natsume reading a book because most of the time, he read mangas. You all know that, but why am I telling you anyway? I have no idea why.
 
Anywho, Natsume seemed to be reading a book called `Artemis Fowl' by Eoin Colfer and Mikan smiled. She read that book a month before she set off towards the Alice Academy. Mikan, reading a book with supposedly hard words? Well, she had a dictionary with her when reading the book.
 
Mikan read that book because her pen pal (yes the same one from a while ago) suggested Mikan to read it with the dictionary after she finished Great Expectations.
 
Mikan suddenly seemed to remember that her pen pal lived in America, in Florida, and that was where Mikan and her friends were heading. Mikan smiled excitedly. She couldn't wait.
 
But sadly, she had to, because she had to spend a bit more than twelve more hours in the plane. Mikan decided after fifteen minutes after she saw Natsume reading `Artemis Fowl' that she would eat the food the flight attendants left for her on her plane desk when they served it forty five minutes ago.

Mikan was surprised to find out that the food was still warm. Mikan threw a glance at Natsume, who was deeply immersed in the book, shrugged, and then started eating. Ruka smirked at the scene, because he saw Natsume throw one glance at Mikan while she was eating, before continuing reading his book.
 
Ruka then turned his attention to the book Natsume was reading. He frowned. I wonder why. Maybe it has something to do with the plot? I wonder…
 
Anywho, the children started to feel sleepy after a few hours and when they checked their watches, it seemed it was quite late in Japan.
 
They fell asleep, Mikan on Natsume's shoulder again, Ruka on a raised armrest on his right side, Hotaru also on her armrest but at her left side, and Natsume, head drooping forward.
 
Poor Natsume, nothing to rest his head on. They were woken up for dinner, which was served late because the attendants lost track of time, and they fell back asleep again. They were woken up when the plane landed, except for Mikan, who was still snoozing.
 
“Baka. Wake up.” Natsume said, annoyed as he used his right arm to massage his stiff neck. “Hn?” Mikan asked, still half asleep. Suddenly, she seemed to recognize (once again) who owned the shoulder she was resting her head on.
 
“Baka.” Natsume and Hotaru said simultaneously as Mikan shot up, looking horrified.