Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ The Day After ❯ A New Home ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gall Force: The Day After
By Fred Herriot
450 Clare Avenue South, Welland, Ontario L3C 3B3 Canada
kush1@iaw.on.ca
**** **** ****
Edited by E.B. Kushnir
**** **** ****
Based on the "Gall Force" series created by MOVIC.
**** **** ****

PART TWO - A NEW HOME

Lufy's eyes open.

The Attacker sighs as she lifts her head, discovering that she had company in the bed. Rabby. The first officer had asked Lufy to stay with her that night. She felt some squeamishness at being so close to a confirmed Sensualist, but Lufy agreed. She did not regret it. Except for some hugs, hand holding and and lip-contact Rabby did nothing. Lufy liked lip-contact the best. It seemed to convey so much, even for someone who normally kept her emotions under tight control.

Rabby had explained that there were certain elements of a Solnoid's body where, when touched, elicited the most unbelievable of sensations. Those elements were located near those unused vestigial organs listed by Catty Nebulart as she briefed the Attacker on the full scope of the Species Unification Project. Rabby added that somewhere in the misty, distant past, Solnoids actually reproduced naturally, birthing children via those organs. The "how" remained a mystery to this day.

Sensualists maintained this knowledge over the generations. They tried, but failed, to comprehend the curious thirty-day cycle the bodies of mature Solnoids exhibited, in which their bodies expelled a reddish, meaty-smelling fluid. Those versed in medicine fianlly concluded that this was a waste-regulatory measure their bodies employed to keep themselves disease-free. None the less, the Paranoids used those same organs to produce the curious creature which had seen first life deep in Patty's body.

Rabby had described the "boy," as they had nicknamed the sentient, using a Paranoid term applicable to a youth of their race, to Lufy. He looked like Patty save for a larger body structure, smaller development in the bust and a curious appendage hanging between his legs. Neither she or Patty were able to understand the lad's capabilities because of the sudden attack by the Axis and the Central Guard. And he was intelligent too, immediately able to speak full sentences. And friendly too. A unique bond sprang up between the boy and Rumy, one Rabby recognized right away. That had prompted her decision to send them to the safety of Terra after the decision to destroy both the Axis and the Central Guard by destroying Chaos.

Lufy sighs. Good thing she elected to help destroy DAMIA when the chance presented itself. If the System Destroyer had not been destroyed, Journey would have gained the final victory, but at enormous cost: the battle butchered all of Shildy's friends. Then, Lufy had believed that such was their fate. They were soldiers; under orders to die so their side could win. Now, she was stunned at the callousness Journey and her aides exhibited to the normal Solnoid. The Attacker regards her bed-mate. Rabby had reached that conclusion after the Chaos debacle. While remaining with her people, Rabby, Patty and Eluza, ensured that there were people sympathetic to the cause of peace in their new fleet, guaranteeing that some would strive for survival, not self-destruction.

Rabby moans, then looks at Lufy. "You're up."

"Couldn't sleep," the pilot smiles. "How about you?"

"Believe it or not, I've had the first decent night's sleep in a long time," the first officer yawns, sitting up.

Lufy nods. Rabby had told her about her curious dream in which she met a creature similar to Patty's offspring. The dream had left her feeling alive, the first push to converting Rabby to Sensualism. "I wish I could dream of something like that," the Attacker finally admits.

"I'm sure you will soon enough, especially when we get to Terra," Rabby nods. "Oh, Lufy, it was like everything finally made sense in my life. I don't want that taken away from me."

"I don't blame you," Lufy leans over so they could touch lips.

They were interrupted by the ship's intercom. "Rabby, Lufy?" Eluza's voice echoes through the room.

"What's up, Eluza?" the first officer looks up.

"A signal from the 'Sardin,'" the captain responds. "I think Captain Nebulart's going to announce what'll happen to the rest of us."

"We're on our way," Rabby stands. "C'mon, Lufy!"

* * *

Minutes later, both join everyone on the "Starleaf's" command bridge. No one had come seeking their ship for refuge, which meant that the carrier's air wing had been lost. None the less, Eluza had informed other captains that her ship was available in case theirs were overcrowded. Lufy notices most of the crew out of uniform. Obviously, everyone had needed time to recuperate. "Transmission coming in from the 'Sardin,'" AIL reports. "Captain Nebulart."

"On screen," Eluza orders.

The beautiful features of Catty Nebulart appear on the main viewscreen. "My honoured sisters, my friends," the intelligence officer begins.

"Mother," the Catty android beside Lufy sniffs back tears.

Lufy and everyone on the bridge salutes. Strange. Did rank matter now? "After so long, the day we've sought has come," Nebulart continues. "Peace now exists between Solnoid and Paranoid. But it is a peace which has extracted a horrible price from both races. As we are sadly aware, we have no homeworld. Nor do the Paranoid. The madness our leaders exhibited in using the Planet Destroyers and System Destroyers have destroyed any hope our races had for a normal life."

Grim nods echo the captain's statement. "I have spoken with Commander Galt, the senior surviving Paranoid commander," Nebulart continues. "He believes, and I concur, that the time has come for our races to go our separate ways, to find new homes in this vast galaxy, to re-establish ourselves and preserve our way of life on any available colony. The Paranoid have begun exploring those options, seeking worlds in distant solar systems their probes located ages ago. Our course, my friends, takes us to a closer goal."

A pause, then, "My sisters, our destination is Terra."

Cheers echo throughout the "Starleaf's" bridge. "There, on the one world which developed without interference from either race, we will preserve and nourish the best aspects of our people," Nebulart continues. "A Solnoid officer has been there for ten years, living her life in peace. It is time, my sisters, we joined her."

Grins wash across the faces of Eluza, Patty, Rabby and Miti. "To that end, after seeing to our survivors, we proceed post-haste for Terra," Nebulart smiles. "I hereby request Captain Eluza and the crew of the 'Starleaf' to take the head of the line and lead us to our new world."

Eluza salutes. "Captain, my pleasure."

"Thank you, Captain," Nebulart nods, then blinks as Scarlet comes up to whisper something in her ear. "Oh, I see. Of course," she muses, then turns to the screen. "My sisters, one final boon, if I may. Commander Galt wishes the honour of addressing you."

Everyone looks at each other. Actually permit a Paranoid to talk to Solnoids? "Isn't this what peace is supposed to mean?" Spea hums.

Eluza nods to Mal, who sends a confirming message back to the "Sardin." As soon as enough messages are sent, Nebulart nods. "Go ahead, Commander."

The image alters to the fierce visage of the Paranoid commander. "My honoured and honourable foes," his bass voice booms over the loudspeakers. "We are enemies no more."

Tentative smiles cross several people's faces at that declaration. "For too long, our races have warred with each other, shattering each other's hopes for peace and a place where we could live in prosperity," sadness tinges the commander's voice. "To get past this, we set aside the need to point fingers. No one can benefit from such behaviour. Far too many have died as a result. To that end, I proposed to Captain Nebulart that we sever contact with the other at this juncture. I believe, to be successful, the break must be permanent. She believes it only to be temporary. It matters not. If, in the far distant future, our descendants do meet, may it be with the open hand of peace and not the clenched fist of war."

Nods echo Galt's statement. "We understand that you will be going to Terra in the Ninth Solar System," he continues. "It is good that you have such a place. We Paranoid will stay away since it is unsuitable for my race. However, we have found a world compatible to our race on the opposite side of the galaxy from Terra. Perhaps the great distance between our future homeworlds will do what years of senseless fighting could not: give us a chance to pursue other dreams. I...and those in my fleet...wish you well, Solnoids. Go in peace. Farewell."

The screen fades replaced by an image of the shattered Sigma Narse system. "Captain, the Paranoid fleet is leaving," Catty reports from the science station.

"Attention on deck!" Eluza barks. "Salute!!"

The Solnoids snap to attention, crossing right hand to heart as the first of the Paranoid battleships race past, on course for their own future homeworld. Tears flow down many cheeks, for no one could have foreseen this day. On other Solnoid ships, eyes watch the departing Paranoids. Drones who escort the capital ships wave, then fly off to their home bases. Watching this from the "Sardin's" bridge, Catty Nebulart smiles. "Why couldn't have this day come sooner?!" she wonders aloud, her own face damp.

Mutters from her bridge crew echo their commander's question...

* * *

"Fleet entering lightspeed formation for our trip home, Commander," the adjutant turns to face Galt. "All drones returning to their home ships."

"Excellent," the Paranoid leader closes his eyes. He had seen that expression on many Solnoid faces, an act of silent contemplation. In a sense, despite the physical and genetic differences, their races were really not so different.

"Sir, if I may," the adjutant shudders. "Why did we do it?"

Galt looks at him. Drel was an intelligent leader and very honourable. "The virus, you mean?"

"Yes, sir? If we are finally at peace with the Solnoids, why do we force a computer virus into their G-canceler control systems?"

"Must you question the commander's decision?" the first officer demands.

"Enough, Alek," Galt orders. "Drel is right. Simply put, there are those in BOTH races who would continue this conflict, condemning Solnoid and Paranoid to extinction. The only way to prevent this is to set up impenetrable barriers. Space can be crossed, Drel. Time cannot."

"I see," the adjutant hums. "You have considered this further than I. I withdraw my objections."

"Thank you," Galt nods.

"But if I may, Commander," Alek stares at his leader. "To ask Dawn to...?"

"Dawn and his crew are all volunteers," Galt sighs. "They know the risk. They know the cost their failure could bring, not only to Solnoid and Paranoid, but to the new third race on Terra. They will succeed."

"I pray so," Alek muses.

Galt manipulates the forward controls. The sleek silver lines of the "Sardin" appear. "Care for my offspring as you would the mechanical replicants you call daughters, Catty Nebulart," the commander intones. "For he may be all you can call upon should the unthinkable happen..."

* * *

"Most of the Paranoid fleet has departed Sigma Narse," Miti reports from her station. "One battleship is remaining, moving to pick up final survivors."

"Signal from 'Sardin,' Captain," Mal adds. "We are to proceed to Terra right away."

"Very well," Eluza nods. "Mal, prepare ship for lightspeed. Engage G-canceler and transfer warp controls to OX-11."

"Yes, Captain," Mal turns to her control board.

"What about Elision?" Shildy inquires.

"According to Captain Nebulart, Elision wishes to remain in Sigma Narse," the engineer replies. "He believes that the shift of planetary orbits may have affected the sun itself. The debris from the planet and the battle will drift into the sun and add more fuel for it to burn. The chances are good that Embryo or any of the other Malthus-sized worlds could, over time, develop life on their own. He wishes to ensure such happens."

The captain takes that with a nod. "Incredible," Spea comments to Shildy. "For the first time, a battle between Solnoid and Paranoid will create life, not destroy it."

"A miracle to add to all the miracles this day has seen," the brunette-haired woman smiles. "The Mother is truly with us today."

Taking the helm, Patty guides the "Starleaf" out of the gaggle of Solnoid ships, pointing her bow in the direction of the distant Ninth Solar System and its lone habitable world. As they pass ship after ship, the bridge crew are surprised to see others waving at them. Signal lamps, even plain placards, wish them luck. "General signal to the fleet," Eluza orders. "Carrier 'Starleaf' is proceeding to Terra...no!" she pauses.

Everyone looks quizzically at her. "Carrier 'Starleaf' is heading home," Eluza corrects with a smile.

"Yes, Captain," Mal nods, then transmits the message. She then notes something else. "Captain, OX-11 reports G-canceler on line and ready to engage."

"Commence countdown," Eluza orders. "Assume A-formation."

"Thirty seconds and counting," Mal relays.

Everyone scrambles into chairs as they relax, preparing for the initial inertia lurch as the ship plunged into hyperspace. Lufy finds herself beside Rabby. The first officer reaches over to hold the pilot's hand. "Home," Rabby sighs as Lufy looks at her. "Want to share the same apartment?"

"Hey, we've got to build it first!" the Attacker retorts, then smiles. "Sure."

They touch lips as Mal's voice relays the countdown to the jump. "...five...four...three...two...one."

"Lightspeed!!" Eluza barks.

The "Starleaf" disappears in a rainbow of hyperspace energies. Minutes later, the remainder of the Solnoid fleet disappears in the carrier's wake...

* * *

"Solnoid fleet departing Sigma Narse, Commander," the first officer looks back. "Sensors indicate that the G-cancelers are malfunctioning as we arranged."

Dawn's eyes narrow. "So, the new game begins," he muses, his voice less powerful, lighter than Galt's.

"The crew stands with you, sir," the adjutant reports. "But, to actually be separated from our race...?"

"Peace, Sel," the commander hums. "We may be separated from our old race, but our new one lies ahead. As the Solnoids add to Terra, so shall we." He turns to the first officer. "Prepare warp engines for the lightspeed jump, Tek. Ensure the temporal imbalance is properly programmed into the system. We do not wish to miss the mark."

"It shall be done," Tek nods...

* * *

In minutes, Dawn's battleship disappears from Sigma Narse, the last living vestige of the two races who had clashed here. That is, until a small Solnoid warpsled sneaks out from behind one of the gas giants in the outer ring of worlds to follow in the wake of Catty Nebulart. On the bridge, a lone figure stands. While young, her eyes echo with knowledge, determination...and what some would say was a touch of insanity. In seconds, it too disappears from sight.

Minutes after that, a Paranoid warpshuttle emerges from behind another gas giant. Its lone controller is a soldier garbed in a warrior's plain clothes. However, more richly detailed clothing and a different exoskeleton lie empty nearby. In seconds, it too disappears to follow the mass exodus towards distant Terra.

On Embryo, Elision notes these developments without concern. The Solnoids and the Paranoids were still hostile to the other. Such was expected. However, if what Galt planned came to fruition, the Solnoids out to cause trouble would find a third race ready and willing to stop them should matters get out of hand. Elision found that agreeable. The Paranoid were always more rational in their thinking than their former foes. Besides, such was no longer his concern. The chance was there for life to emerge in Sigma Narse. What were the games of immature organics compared to that?!

* * *

Rumy looks up, tears brimming in her eyes. Dawn was breaking over Terra as she stares at the fading stars. She had a curious dream that night. She dreamt that the Solnoids and Paranoids had clashed in a furious final battle, but common sense and reason had prevailed and the two races, really none the worse for wear, made peace and had gone their separate ways. Had it happened? It was so hard to tell. The escape pod where she and Pat had taken refuge in a decade before was not equipped with deep space transmitters. Then again, who had she to talk to? After days and nights of crying, she had come to see the reason behind the awful sacrifice Rabby and Patty made on their behalf. If they were dead, she would mourn them forever. If they lived, she wished them well.

A cry is heard from the pond below her. Rumy waves as her two children run up to her, a couple of speared fish in hand. A boy and a girl, they looked like younger versions of herself and Pat, except for the odd mixing of facial features. Now she knew what Patty felt like when Pat had been born. Her children were a part of her as much as Pat was a part of Patty. Was that what the Solnoid race had lacked for so long? Then again, did it matter anymore?

The children run into her arms, laughing and jumping for joy at their find. Rumy directs them to the house she and Pat built years before so they could have something to eat. It was actually quite a comfortable existence. At least she did not have to hear TOIL complain to her that she was overeating.

Pat waits for her by the front door. They embrace, their lips caressing as they silently express their feelings for each other. Rumy had no idea what to call the emotion between them. She was no Sensualist by birth, but she bet she knew much more than they did right now. It was so strange, with Pat inserting his appendage in the right cavity in Rumy's body...and nine months later, a baby emerged! Rumy was stunned by such a development. Something like that had NEVER occurred in known Solnoid history!

They look at each other for a moment. Pat...Rumy had coined the name as a truncated version of "Patty" to conform with the usual Paranoid tradition of using single-syllable names...had been everything she had dreamt about in that short voyage in Blossom to Chaos. Everything and more. Before heading into the house, Rumy looks once more to the stars, sending a silent prayer to the Great Mother to ensure that Rabby and Patty, wherever they were, were happy, too...

* * *

To be continued...