Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ The Day After ❯ A Fateful Discovery ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Gall Force: The Day After
By Fred Herriot
gorgo@kwangju.net
**** **** ****
Edited by E.B. Kushnir
kush1@iaw.on.ca
**** **** ****
Based on the "Gall Force" series created by MOVIC.
**** **** ****

PART THREE - A FATEFUL DISCOVERY

Hyperspace.

Eluza watches as the brilliant colours of warp speed blur past the "Starleaf's" command bridge. It felt like Alpha-12 all over again. A damaged ship, little crew, they were heading for the Ninth Solar System and now were alone, leading the way. Talk about deja vu! None the less, the captain is relaxed. The war was over, the Paranoids were on their way to their new homeworld kiloparsecs away and the last remnants of the Solnoid fleet were right behind them. What was there to worry about? The core of her command crew had been with her for years, the rest trustworthy friends. If something went wrong, they were more than ready to deal with it.

Stepping up to her, Rabby hands her a cup of tea, then sits down. "Everything's looking good," the first officer muses.

"Pretty much so," Eluza hums. "At least this time, the ship isn't as banged-up as after Alpha-Twelve."

"Yeah," Rabby sips her tea. "Just in case, I sent Mal to physically inspect the G-canceler with TOIL and AIL. Also, I asked Shildy to look in on the Blossom."

"You're not taking chances," Eluza stares at her.

"It's my job, remember?"

"True," the captain nods. She had expired before Rabby, Patty and Rumy had been forced to abandon the old "Starleaf." It had been hideous. Feeling her insides ripped apart by the Paranoid monster bearing the host factor genes for Project: Exodermus. Then came the cold realization that she was being taken over by a being like nothing she had ever encountered. Dying seemed the only option, the only way to prevent the creature from hurting her friends. Fortunately, her constitution was sturdier. The "Sardin's" crack team of medical officers found reviving her no problem. "Well, let's hope this voyage goes easier."

"Amen to that," Rabby sighs. "Eluza, what do you think of Lufy's new friends?"

"Shildy, Spea and Amy?" the captain muses. "They seem a competent lot. They were the ones who destroyed DAMIA, remember?"

"True," Rabby nods. "I'm concerned about Amy's inexperience. Mother, it was like meeting another Rumy."

"This time, we won't have to worry about Paranoid sneak attacks," Eluza counters.

"You hope."

"You still don't believe?"

"I don't know what to believe," the first officer shakes her head, "I trust Captain Nebulart's judgement and I thank the Great Mother she's around to lead us now, but can we trust the Paranoid after the hell we've given each other for so long?"

"Can we trust ourselves?" Eluza muses.

"True," the first officer nods agreeingly. "I suppose our separating ourselves like this would do a lot of good. And Terra is such a beautiful world. I couldn't think of anything really wrong happening to us there."

"Famous last words," Eluza snidely grumbles.

Mal arrives at the bridge. "What famous last words?"

"We're just concerned about what's going to happen to us on Terra," Rabby reports.

Mal sits beside Eluza. "I suggest we concern ourselves first with what could happen to us now."

Both senior officers tense. "What's wrong?" Eluza inquires.

"I'm not sure...nor is OX-11," Mal shakes her head. "However, there seems to be an anomaly in the G-canceler temporal distortion control system. It could be a sensor glitch."

"Then again, it could be something else," Rabby sighs. "Mother, I KNEW this was going to happen!"

"Enough, Rabby," Eluza calms her first officer, then stares at the engineer. "What steps have you taken?"

"OX-11 is trying to diagnose the problem," Mal reports. "He believes that it is not life-threatening, but I took the step of preparing to transfer all pertinent data into the Blossom's mainframe should we be forced to abandon ship."

The grim stare on the dark-hued woman's face reflects her knowledge of Pony's fate. That Mal's sister chose to die to ensure that the Species Unification Project could succeed had not lessened the tragedy. "Good work," Eluza stands. "Keep an eye on that unit, Mal. I don't want bad engines to destroy us after the hell we just came through."

"Yes, Captain," Mal heads to her station to continue analyzing the problem threatening the ship.

At that moment, Spea and Amy step onto the bridge, having just showered. "Whoo!!" the former sighs. "At least they've got warm showers on this ship!"

"Thank the Mother for that!" the latter muses. "No line-ups, either."

"Aren't you two relaxing a little too much?" Rabby stares at them.

Coming to attention, both intelligence officers look contrite. "Sorry, Commander, but after what we've been through, we haven't had time to take anything of a decent break," Spea shrugs. "We've been going full out since we blew DAMIA up."

"That's more than understandable, but we've got a new problem on our hands," Rabby warns. "Get dressed and report back here. And find Lufy, wherever the devil she is."

"Yes, ma'am!" both women salute, then run off the bridge.

"Kind of a rough way to treat new friends, eh?" Eluza muses.

"Now's not the time to get cuddly, Eluza!" Rabby retorts.

* * *

The first Attacker credo: We own the stars.

The second Attacker credo, Lufy remembers, stated "Nothing beats the smell of freshly-burned cordite in the morning." It meant that there was nothing better in relieving tension than a spell on the gun ranges blasting targets. Even better, she was testing her skills against Miti, a definitely up-and-coming fighter pilot. Her score was more heavy on ship-wrecking than drone-bashing, but it would have surpassed Lufy's had the war continued. However, now that the war was done and there was no enemy to blow up, taking one's frustrations on a shaped piece of cardboard seemed more inviting.

Snapping her automatics up, Lufy fires a fusillade into the target's head, ejects the L-shaped dual magazine, flips it around, reloads, draws and fires another into the heart. However, she could not imagine what her target was. Strange. Usually, it was a Paranoid trooper. After all, that was all she had fought since birth. None the less, her aim was still impeccable. Head and heart cored out. "Not bad," Miti muses.

"Try it," Lufy stares at the younger Attacker.

Miti draws her pistol, takes smooth aim, then squeezes the trigger. Her automatic had a fifty-round drum magazine. Lufy preferred the L-shaped magazines, but knew that the drums were better suited for combat. In a minute, the head and heart of Miti's target is likewise cored out. "Not bad!!" Lufy whistles.

"Thanks," Miti sighs. "I wish it was Journey that I was killing, not some piece of wood."

Lufy blinks. "What makes you say that?"

"What the bloody hell makes you think I'd wish otherwise?" Miti holsters her weapon in shoulder rig. "Lufy, have you really ever seen the Paranoids you killed?"

"Well, there were mostly in drones," the older Attacker muses.

"I've seen them, when they were in normal exoskeletons," Miti sighs. "No rifles, either. They didn't have the chance to shoot back at me when I blew their ships up."

"So? That was the name of the game."

"I wish I could believe that," Miti sighs. "I'm an Attacker ...and I'm a Sensualist. I kill in the name of my people, but the idea of destroying life, even if they were Paranoid, sickens me."

"So what makes you wish you had the chance to kill Journey?"

"Why not?! She's the one who kept this damn war going, even after we lost Malthus!"

A point Lufy found herself agreeing with. A year ago, Miti's talk would have been seen as treason, punishable by death, the body transformed into a cyborg soldier. However, Miti was right. Why continue to fight a war when there was nothing to go back to? "Well, she's gone now and we're still here," Lufy sighs. "Hey, let's hit the showers! I wanna relax."

"Don't bet on that," a voice warns.

Both see Spea run in. "What's wrong?" Miti inquires.

"The captain wants us on the bridge," the intelligence officer reports. "I don't know, but both she and Commander Rabby seem pretty upset about something."

"Mother, Rabby gets upset over a broken faucet!" Lufy groans, then looks at Miti. "Haven't you been able to mellow her out?!"

"Hey, she's got worse!" the flight controller shrugs.

The three women laugh...

* * *

Minutes later, the "Starleaf's" crew muster on the bridge. All look nervous as Rabby relays the situation. "OX-11 has picked up an anomaly in the G-canceller's temporal distortion circuits," the first officer notes. "Currently, he's working on trying to discover what the problem really is. I don't know if this is just old memories of my first trip to Terra's home system coming back, but I don't see any reason not to take precautions."

"OX-11 is prepared to download all information into the Blossom," Eluza adds. "Just in case, Shildy, I want you, Spea, Amy and Patty to prepare emergency gear."

"Of course, Captain," Shildy nods.

Rabby turns to the crew's lone android. "Catty, double-check the catapult controls. Your sister sacrificed herself to ensure we survived. I don't want that happening to us again."

"I understand, Commander," Catty nods.

"Lufy, take Eni, Mini, Maini and Moi to the ground vehicle hangar," Eluza turns to the Attacker. "See what you can stuff into Blossom. No sense not taking any chances."

"Sure thing, Eluza. But, aren't we getting a little too panicky here?"

"Do you want to get out and push?" Rabby retaliates.

Everyone laughs...

* * *

In a couple of hours, the emergency preparations are complete. However, the crew do not relax, for OX-11 is still unable to locate the problem with the G-canceler. With their safety somewhat guaranteed, everyone tries to keep calm. In their guest cabin, the three ex-Lorelei Fleet officers gather. "Things are never simple for us, aren't they?" Amy lets out a depressed sigh.

"Not really," Spea rubs the bridge of her nose. "But at least we can hope now. The war's over."

"But new ones can begin," Shildy stares at the passing starfield.

"What do you mean?" Spea tenses.

"There's something about the warp field..." Shildy's voice trails off as she tries to remember. "I trained as an engineer prior to entering intelligence, and I remember learning something in basic warp dynamics...but I can't seem to recall it now."

"It is not necessary," a new voice declares.

The see Catty walk into the room. "What is it, Catty?" Amy gulps.

"OX-11 and I have detected the problem," the android reports. "May we proceed to the bridge so I may inform the others?"

"Let's go," Shildy stands.

Moments later, everyone stands on the bridge, tensely awaiting Catty's report. "OX-11 detected a computer virus in the temporal field generator control systems. They are malfunctioning as we speak."

"I KNEW it!!!" Rabby barks.

"Please," the android interrupts, annoyance in her voice. "May I finish?" At Eluza's nod, she continues. "The temporal field generator ensures that when a ship enters warp, the time-dilation effect approaching and surpassing lightspeed will present to any ship is negated. Simply put, that is not happening."

"THAT'S what I saw!!" Shildy slaps her forehead. "Oh, someone hit me for being a fool!"

"Wait, wait!!" Lufy interrupts. "I'm a fighter jock. Warp dynamics isn't my game! What's that mean?!"

Shildy turns to the Attacker. "Any object approaching the lightspeed barrier is subject to an alteration of temporal dynamics. Time slows down for the traveller. What may be minutes to the traveller will be years in surrounding space."

"Y-years...?!" Patty stammers.

"Yes," Catty nods. "The virus has ensured that while the temporal field generator is malfunctioning, it is not completely deactivated. If it was, we would all be dead."

"So what IS happening?!" Miti snarls. "Get to the point!"

"As we proceed towards Terra, we advance in time," Catty states. "OX-11 is calculating how much time will elapse by the time we de-warp."

"How about nailing the problem in the bud and de-warp now?!" Lufy proposes.

"That is impossible," the android shakes her head. "The virus also contains a fail-safe which would detonate the G-canceler should we attempt to alter the flight program."

"Oh, that's wonderful!!" Rabby groans.

"I have completed the calculations," the voice of the ship's main computer utters.

Everyone looks at the engineering station as Mal sits. "How far ahead will we travel, OX-11?"

"Three million standard years."

Silence. Everyone blinks. "OX-11...would you repeat that, please?" Mal's voice is on the verge of breaking.

"Three million standard years."

"Three MILLION?!?!" Rabby exclaims.

"That is correct, Commander," the computer replies. "Further, I have detected the cause of the virus."

"Report," Eluza orders.

"The virus was downloaded into the control systems at the time we received the transmission from the Paranoid flagship at Sigma Narse."

Anger then replaces shock. "What?!!" Lufy screams. "Those slime!! They did that on purpose!!!"

"Why?!!" Patty exclaims.

"Why not?!!" the Attacker wheels on the combat officer. "Once we were gone, they could have leapt ahead and destroyed Terra long before we could ever get there!!!"

"That's right!" Spea gasps. "Everyone got that transmission!"

"Oh, no!!!" Amy wails. "We'll never have a home now!!!"

"Not necessarily," Catty remains calm.

"What do you mean?" Rabby stares at the android.

"It is simply Paranoid nature," Catty turns to the first officer. "I believe they did not do this out of deliberate hatred. It is fear and self-preservation which drove them. Their nature would demand that as many walls as possible be erected between our two races even if final peace has been achieved."

"So they wouldn't destroy Terra," Eluza concludes.

"To them, it would not be seen as necessary," Catty nods.

"So we're safe, hopefully," Rabby crosses her arms.

"Yes," the android nods. "Further, there is an advantage."

"That being?" Shildy looks curious.

"By the time three million years have passed, the new race on Terra would, barring serious calamity, have developed to the point where we could possibly make contact with a race possessing the same level of culture and technology as we," Catty adds.

"That's a big bit of speculating, Catty," Spea warns.

"True. We would have to wait until we arrive on Terra to see for ourselves."

Everyone slowly relaxes. "Well, all we have to do now is wait and see what we do find," Shildy sighs.

"How long do we have to wait?" Miti inquires.

"OX-11?" Mal looks at the computer.

Only silence answers from the computer. Everyone tenses. "OX-11, is there a problem?" Mal gulps.

Suddenly, the ship shudders as the warp field around them fades to reveal a normal starfield...and a very familiar pair of worlds with a pale yellow star in the near distance. "There is no problem, Mal," the computer replies. "We have arrived."

Everyone runs to the windows to gaze at their destination. "Chaos!!" Rabby gasps on seeing the pitted and scarred surface of Terra's lone natural satellite.

"Look!" Amy points. "Terra!!"

Everyone turns to gaze at the blue-green world beyond Chaos. Tears well in Spea's eyes. "Oh, it's still beautiful!"

"The landforms have altered, I think," Shildy notes.

"Understandable," Catty is already at the science station. "Three million years have passed. Terra is a geologically active world."

"Full sensor sweep, Catty," Eluza orders. "I need to know what we're up against. Miti, Patty," she turns to the flight controller and the combat officer, "...bring the ship to battle stations."

"Eluza, we don't have much to fight with!" Patty reminds her.

"True, but we're in totally unknown territory here," the captain reminds them. "I intend to be prepared as best as I can."

"Yes, ma'am!" both officers run to their stations.

"I still got my fighter here," Lufy runs off the bridge. "I'll gas it up and get it ready."

"Have the gunship serviced, too," Shildy turns to Spea and Amy.

Both women run off the bridge. "Completing demographic scan," Catty reports. "Sensors indicate a total of approximately six billion Solnoid-type inhabitants on Terra."

"Six BILLION?!?!" Rabby gasps.

"Affirmative. Commencing geological and climate scans," Catty does not look up from her board.

"Six billion," Mal shakes her head in disbelief. "How in the name of the Mother do they feed them all?! The population of Malthus never exceeded a billion!"

"Surely by now they should be able to proceed forth and establish some colonies," Shildy adds. "I think the fourth world of this system is capable of holding some."

"We'll answer that soon enough," Eluza hums.

"Climate scans complete," Catty reports. "Sensors indicate that pollution associated with a post-industrial type of society is in the atmosphere, soil and oceans. Further, the planet's protective ozone layer is decaying. Geologically, the planet is quite stable, although there are active earthquake and volcanic zones along known fault lines. Commencing social-cultural scans."

"They're behind us, then," Rabby muses. "Catty, any signs of nuclear activity?"

"Affirmative," the android reports. "Sensors indicate that many atomic weapons have been detonated over the previous fifty years. Considerable signs of nuclear fission-type reactors. No signs of deep space travel capability. Sensors do indicate an extensive and intricate telecommunications network, both in visual and radio capacities. Computers are also apparent, but nothing towards any form of true artificial intelligence."

"They're just about to break out into deep space," Rabby hums. "We may have arrived a little too early."

"True," Eluza nods. "Catty, any signs of local space travel?"

"Affirmative," Catty nods. "Sensors indicate a considerable amount of communications satellites in Terran orbit. Sensors also indicate many landing sites on Chaos indicative of missions with organic controlling elements."

"What about the fourth planet?" Shildy inquires. "It seemed a better place to go than the second one."

"Several landers without signs of organic activity," Catty reports, then blinks. "Captain, sensors also indicate two small spacecraft presently in Terran orbit!"

"On screen!" Eluza orders.

The screen shows a split view. The first spacecraft is a delta-winged object with a single controlling rudder, black trimming on a white hull with identifying markings. The second is a cigar-shaped craft with no signs of motive power but with a number of sensor and power arrays. "What are they?!" Eluza blinks.

"The first craft appears to a cargo orbiter," Catty reports. "Little motive power; its propulsion system seems to be composed of manoeuvreing boosters. Clamps on the underside indicate that a second propulsion stage is used in launching it from Terra."

"It's so fragile," Miti shakes her head. "I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing!"

"Brave people," Shildy whispers. "Actually flying in space in that!"

"Agreed," Rabby nods. "They've got Solnoid passion!"

"What of the second craft?" Eluza inquires.

"It is a satellite controlled by organic elements," Catty reports. "Currently, three sentients are aboard. Seven on the first craft. In fact, the first craft appears to be manoeuvreing to dock with the second."

Everyone watches as the orbiter slowly approaches the satellite. "Can you confirm if they have names?" Eluza looks over.

Catty places a set of earphones over her head. After a minute, she turns back. "Affirmative, Captain. I am also picking up a short-band visual transmission between the two. The orbiter is designated 'Atlantis,' the satellite 'Mir.'"

"On screen," Eluza turns to look at the front viewscreen.

An image appears. It shows the interior of what the crew believe is the satellite called Mir. Inside are a group of sentients, a mix of Solnoid-type with the majority being the same type of being as Patty's offspring. Behind them are three banners. "Flags!" Rabby points.

One of them is divided into three horizontal fields, from top to bottom white, red and blue. The second is a garish-looking emblem composed of a blue canton with fifty white stylized stars, the remainder divided by thirteen mixed red and white stripes. The third is a two-by-one flag with red sides and a white centre emblazoned with a red eleven-point emblem reminding Rabby of the leaf of a tree. "Three different flags," she hums, then turns to Catty. "Catty, is the planet politically unified?"

"Negative," the android looks back. "I will place a schematic of Terra's political divisions on the screen."

The image changes to a stylized map of Terra. Each of the five main continents are split apart into many pieces, each getting different colours. "Mother, I can't count that high!" Miti exclaims on seeing so many.

"These are just the primary divisions," Catty looks back. "I do not understand exactly what they address them as. You see, there is not one single language on the planet."

"Not just one language?" Shildy stares at the android. "How many?"

"OX-11 estimates four thousand."

"Four thousand?!!" Eluza gasps. "Mother, how do they communicate with each other?!!"

"I cannot postulate," Catty shakes her head. "However, OX-11 does report there are several main language types, usually broken apart by the type of alphabet they use."

"Try to find one which is similar to ours, if that's possible," Rabby orders.

"Yes, Commander."

"Hey, what's with the hub-bub?!" Lufy calls out as she returns to the bridge with Spea and Amy.

"Are we close to Terra?" the young intelligence officer inquires hopefully.

"Not yet," Eluza sighs. "We're still trying to figure out what's what on this planet. Four thousand languages, an unbelievable number of political divisions...!"

Spea and Amy go to Shildy for an update. Lufy relaxes by Miti's station. Standing, Rabby walks over to Catty. "Catty?"

"Yes, Commander?" the android states at her.

Rabby leans down and touches lips with Catty. The android blinks, confusion on her face. "Why?"

"I wish it was your mother I touched lips with," Rabby smiles, then waves towards Terra. "But congratulations appear to be in order. It appears that the Species Unification Project is an unqualified success."

"Yes," Catty nods, then presses lips with Rabby. "On behalf of Mother, thank you."

Rabby smiles, then looks over to see Patty staring at Terra. The first officer walks over, then lightly touches the combat officer's shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"I...I don't know," Patty shakes her head. "I'm sorry, Rabby, but...I looked forward so much to seeing Rumy and the boy again."

"I know," Rabby nods.

"I'm sad," Patty gestures as she tries to put her thoughts into words, "...but it's not overwhelming, you know."

"I think I understand," Rabby notions towards Terra. "Think of it this way, Patty. Your offspring probably lives on in all the sentients now living on Terra."

Patty blinks, then nods. "Yeah, that's true!" she lightly smiles. "I never thought of it that way."

"It's okay," Rabby nods.

Miti looks at her readout, then turns to Eluza. "Captain, ECM indicates multiple scanning systems on Terra's surface and in several of the satellites in orbit over Terra. Recommend we take measures to protect ourselves just in case we're spotted."

Eluza hums as she considers the problem. The Terrans had local space travel and nuclear capabilities. They probably had not encountered an alien race...and given the amount of years which had passed since the Solnoids had contact with this world, any memory of Solnoid interference on Terra would have long been lost. Would they be psychologically prepared to contact another race? "A good idea, Miti," she nods. "We're probably the first visitors the Terrans have had in three million years, so let's not push it. Take us around the planet. Put Terra between us and 'Mir.'"

"Yes, Captain," Patty assumes the helm.

* * *

To be continued...