Gasaraki Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Project Mile Two ❯ Everybody like to get mail ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]




Chapter 2



Nodoka Saotome was sitting opposite her cousin, Kiyoharu Gowa. She had just been given some shocking news - her son, who was supposed to be raised to be a 'man among men' turned into a girl when splashed with cold water. Her husband had picked up a similar curse that turned him into a panda.

"So Kiyotsugu has yet to come up with an explanation for the transformation?"

"Apparently it's magic." Noting his cousins sceptical look, he spoke up "I take it you know of the story of the Kai?"

"Yes, I know the old legends, but you don't expect me to believe them do you?"

Kiyoharu smiled at Nodoka. "Let me show you something."

He lead Nodoka out of his office and into Kiyotsugu's. After Kiyoharu whispered something into his brother's ear, he pointed Nodoka to the TV screen, where they brought up footage of the Kugai in the lab.

The Kugai started to twitch and regenerate.

Kiyotsugu was on the phone immediately to the supervisor at the lab. Kiyoharu saw this and pulled out his mobile, "where's Yushiro? What's his condition? And find out about Misuzu!" He practically barked into the device. "WHAT? Yushiro is Hokkaido? Misuzu is in Okinawa?"

Kiyotsugu finished his conversation with the man at the lab. "Well it seems that the Kugai is reacting to someone. Any idea who?"

"It's not Yushiro or Misuzu." Kiyoharu turned to Nodoka, "what about Ranma?"

"I don't understand."

"It seems that Ranma has some special abilities. He might just be a Kai."

"Like in the legends?"

"Yes, No-chan. I would like to examine him. If he is a Kai, then he could help the TA program," Kiyotsugu enthused.

"I don't know, I mean what does that all entail? I'm not letting you cut my son open." Nodoka was adamant.

"It's hard to explain, No-chan. But it goes something like this...."


***************************************

Ba ck in Nerima


"Well, what do you think happened, Kasumi?"

"I don't know, Nabiki. Something must have put Ranma into that trance. But what?"

Akane fumed, "I bet that Shampoo had something to do with it. It wouldn't be the first time she's used stuff to tamper with his mind."

"That's right, Saotome, your son is at risk. Perhaps we should get him married soon?"

"What a good idea, Soun."

"Well, perhaps that might be a bit rash, father." Kasumi intervened.

"I'm not marrying that pervert!" Akane bellowed at the fathers.

"I don't think that's a good idea, dad. If something is wrong with Ranma, then Akane could be in danger," Nabiki added.

"Perhaps it would be better to wait a while," Soun's spine suddenly lost it's cohesion.

***************************************

Back at the Gowa office.



Nodoka sat down roughly in her chair. "So my son has powers beyond the average man?"

The two brothers nodded.

"Well then he is a man among men," Nodoka beamed.

"Riiiggghhht. Anyway, are you going to ask him about joining the TA program?"

"I'm not sure about that , Kiyotsugu. I don't like the idea my son being treated like a science project. If it is what he wants, then I will allow it."

'If he realises that it is the best way for him to get answers to what he is then he'll agree,' Kiyoharu thought with a smirk to himself.

"Well, what is the best way for me to be reunited with my son? Should I go and introduce myself to the Tendos?"

"Knowing Genma, I would wait until they are away from Ranma before letting everyone know you're still alive," Kiyoharu spoke with all honesty. "Genma will try to hide your son's curse to save his hide. I don't know about the Tendos. You could write them a letter asking to meet with your in-laws. That way you could find out if the Tendo girl is really the best choice for you son."

"Is everybody against my husband?"

"Not really, No-chan, but we kept tabs on him since you were our favourite cousin. It wouldn't do for you to lose face due to an unpaid bar tab now would it?" Kiyoharu said in a sweet voice.

"He was that bad?"

"I'm sorry that you have to hear this from me, Nodoka, but it seems that Ranma was sold off for a bowl of rice, a fish and two pickles."

"He was _what_?"

"Genma engaged your son, I'm told that the dowry was only a meal."

Nodoka fumed. "Being so manly that several girls are chasing you is one thing, but this is ridiculous!"

Kiyotsugu brought the valid question: "how is Ranma supposed to honour these agreements?"

"I don't know." Kiyoharu sighed, "I will talk with our lawyers about getting him out of this situation, but I get the feeling that the Saotome clan is in for a lot of trouble."


***************************************

No doka sat thinking in her family's study. 'How am I going to get to meet my son. If I announce my visits, then Genma will disappear with him in advance. I know, I'll write a letter announcing my intention to visit my son's fiancée and meet the in-laws, that way I can see if Ranma is happy marrying a Tendo or if I should push him towards one of the other girls and if Ranma is forced to hide from me, I can slip him a note telling him that I know about Jusenkyo.'


A few days later Soun was checking the mail.

"Bill. Junk mail. Bill. Junk mail. Ah, a letter addressed to me." Sitting down with a cup of tea, Soun began to read his personal letter.

'Dear Mr Tendo

My Name is Nodoka Saotome, I believe you trained with my husband under the same master. Genma has been training my son Ranma for the last ten years, however I have not been in contact with them for some time now. I was under the impression that they were staying with you. Perhaps you could tell them that I look forward to seeing what kind of man my son has grown into. What his hopes and dreams are, if he has any plans for the future.

It has also come to my attention that he is engaged to your daughter, and while I must admit that I am a little disappointed that he didn't tell me himself that he was going to get married, I am interested to see the girl that has captured my son's heart.

I shall be visiting this Friday (the 7th) at 6pm. I do hope that this is not too big of an inconvenience for you and you family. Please tell my son and husband that I would like them both be there for my visit, but I understand if they are off on a training trip, after all my son was raised to be a 'man among men' and as such he must not allow his physical condition to slip.

Yours

Nodoka Saotome'


"Hmm, maybe this will be the catalyst to get Ranma to admit his feelings to Akane. I must ask Genma what she means by 'a man among men'. Oh well, I had better tell Kasumi that we are having company on Friday."

A certain panda heard this as he was walking by and started to sweat.


***************************************

Later after school.

Ranma was walking home alone, in his cursed form after yet another argument with Akane. 'It's not my fault Shampoo keeps trying to get me to date her and that fool Mousse keeps attackin' me, but no she can't see that. She just sees me picking fights with people like her "poor Ryoga". Why can't she see that I have to answer any challenge to the school?' "Stupid tomboy," he muttered.

Slipping of his outdoor shoes he called out "I'm home!" 'For what it's worth.'

"Ranma-kun, our fathers would like to talk to you, it's something important." Kasumi's normally cheerful voice had a hint of worry in it.

"Ok, sure. I can take a bath later."

Walking into the sitting room, Ranma saw Soun was doing a credible fountain impression and his father sweating almost as much as his friend was weeping.

"Ranma, we have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that your mother is coming to visit on Friday."

"What, my mom's still alive? Pops you've got some explaining to do," Ranma's voice became menacing.

"Ranma-kun, the bad news is bad." Soun was solemn having earlier heard from Genma about the seppuku pledge. "It seems that if your father failed to raise you to be a man among men, then he and you would both commit seppuku."

"WHAT? Did I agree to this?"

"Just before you left, boy. Now quiet down, I got to come up with a plan to save my - err- our hides."

Ranma looked at his father as he realised the fat fool had made a slip. "Bet you regret going to Jusenkyo now. So then pops, it seems that I am going to be giving up my life for the sake of the art after all." Ranma finished with a smirk.

"Ungrateful boy, I'd teach you a lesson if I had time," Genma shot back.

Acknowledging Ranma's almost undetectable gesture, Kasumi opened the sliding door, The two fathers being in deep thought, missed it.

Ranma charged at her father with a flying kick to the head. Caught by surprise, Genma was knocked into the koi pond. The panda rose from the water and started to attack Ranma.

Defending himself quite easily, Ranma decided to work off some of his frustration. And give his legs a good work-out. "My feet, your ass. See the connection? No? Then let me help you!" Ranma taunted his father. His feet started blurring, panda flesh began tenderising. Genma backed off, jumped into the air and attacked Ranma's torso from the sky, figuring he should teach the boy not to rely on a single attack method.

Ranma was ready for this and blocked easily using skills derived from the amaguriken. Leading his father into a spiral as if he planned on using the hiryu shoten ha, Ranma was trying a new technique out on the panda.

Genma, despite being angry enough to chew nails, recognised the pattern he was being lead into tried to back out. 'What's the boy trying now?'

Ranma lashed out with a roundhouse kick instead of an uppercut, sending the panda into the ground. Her attack not working out according to plan as she wanted to boot him out of the Tendo compound.

"Hmm, it needs some work, maybe it's all in the timing." Ranma was nonchalant. Turning to face the eldest Tendo daughter, he became serious. "Kasumi, what do you think we should do about my mother? I don't wanna die, but I don't wanna lie to her either."

"Maybe, you should keep out of sight until we can be sure that she won't kill you. Then we reveal your curse to her, so we're not lying to her." Kasumi hoped that she had found a face saving option.

"Yeah, I can go on a training trip," Ranma sighed, "but I really wanna see her. Maybe we'll come up with something before Friday. I'm going in the bath now."


***************************************


O n Friday morning a letter arrived for Ranma via courier.

"What's that? It's a bit fancy for challenge letter, Ranma." Nabiki enquired, smelling profit. She had hoped to get a peek at it first but it had a tamper evident seal on it.

"No idea, I'll take a look after breakfast on the way to school."

After inhaling his breakfast and a small argument about Ranma picking on P-chan (or to be more accurate, P-chan biting Ranma) Ranma left for school. A thought occurred to Ranma, 'I'll need some privacy. I'll stop by the clinic.'

"Hi doc, can I borrow a room for a few minutes? I need some privacy."

"Sure, my office is free."

Ranma looked at the letter, "pretty fancy, well here goes."

Opening the letter Ranma began to read.

'Dear Ranma,

I am sorry for not contacting you earlier. I am your mother, Nodoka Saotome. I sure the Tendos told you I will be visiting on Friday.

I don't know if your father told you about the seppuku pledge, how he promised to raise you to be 'man among men' or you would both kill yourselves.

Do not worry, you won't have to kill yourself to please me. I know of your Jusenkyo curses.

I suggest that you should pretend to be a girl, until I let slip that I won't make you commit suicide. I plan to use this and other visits to appraise the suitability of the Tendo fiancée. I didn't approve of any arranged marriage for you son, but if you are happy, then I will give my blessing.

I just hope that the girl isn't a violent maniac, or would do anything to hurt you emotionally.

In case you were wondering about my decision, well let us say that I have learnt that you have some special abilities that the common man doesn't.

Your father however, will be punished when I make my 'decision' about your manliness.

Love,

Mother.'

'She knows,' Ranma slowly smiled. 'She is going to accept me for who I am.'

Rushing out of Tofu's office, Ranma ran to school, feeling that nothing could get him down.




To be continued.

***********************************

Like it? Love it? Loathe it? Let me know what you think:

(lordraa) (digitalpimp) (.co.uk)