Gasaraki Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Project Mile Two ❯ Goodbye to the Mad House ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Chapter 6

*****************


Kiyoharu was unhappy with the news that Yushiro had been hospitalised after piloting a TA. After a talk with Kiyotsugu and Misuzu, he pulled some strings to get his youngest brother discharged from the Self Defence Force. Feeling that he had done something worthy of being called a brother, he went to Nodoka to meet with Ranma for the first time.


"Hello Ranma. I'm Kiyoharu, your mother's cousin. We decided to move you to the Gowa family register."

"Mom mentioned that I had to abandon the name 'Saotome'. So what does this mean for me?"

"Well, first of all we go to the municipal court and change your details, then we'll go to Furinken to get you excused from school for a few days."

"Why?" Ranma had a blank look on his face.

"We want to show you a few things about your family and introduce you to everyone." Standing up, Kiyoharu motioned for the soon-to-be former Saotomes to get into the waiting car. "So Ranma, what do you want to do with your life?"

"Well, I was gunna be a martial artist, but now..." he trailed off. 'No I ain't gonna be like Ryoga.' "I don't know now. You got any ideas?"

"Funny that you should ask that," Nodoka's cousin replied with a grin that reminded him of Nabiki. "I would like you to meet my brother, Kiyotsugu. He's an engineer working on some special projects, and we think that you could help us."

"Oh, well, I'll do what I can." Ranma shrugged. "Though I don't know what I can do to help some science project."



*****************

The visit to the municipal building was surprisingly short, the Gowa's legal team having prepared much of the needed paperwork for the name transfer and divorce request.


The trip to Furinken was subdued as Ranma contemplated his new found freedom. He was no longer obligated to uphold any agreements, promises or pledges made in the name of Ranma Saotome. That meant if Ryoga started to scream death threats at him again, he could simply reveal his secret identity to everybody - showing him up to be the pervert Akane always accused him of being. It also meant that he was free to marry for love.

Now if only he could the right girl. One that would treat him with respect and not like a prize or a punching bag.

His thoughts turned to Nabiki's behaviour, she was treating him like a person and not like a puppet for the past few days. Maybe it was a ploy, maybe she wanted to be friends. But it wasn't a fight and it wasn't food, so Ranma was more than a little puzzled.

Then Ucchan became his focus. She was no longer out for his blood or hand in marriage, that meant that they could be friends again. His mother had suggested that by not forcing them to be married, that their friendship could develop into something more then what they currently had.

Of course Nodoka thought that her manly son would need at least two girls to satisfy his needs and urges. She wisely kept this opinion to herself, lest she scare Ranma.


*********************

Nabiki was sitting quietly, her thoughts about Ranma. 'Am I after Ranma for material gain? His family is rich and has lots of contacts in industry. Hell, they own lots of companies. It could work out between us, if I show him trust and support. But how do I convince Ranma that I am not after him for material gain?'

Kuno started his usual babbling about defeating Ranma especially because of Ranma's condition, "that foul sorcerer Saotome shall taste my righteous wrath today."

"Kuno, I've got something to tell you about Ranma."

"Oh, and what is this, pray tell?"

Nabiki held out her hand, "5000 yen, if you please."

Kuno grumbled, but pulled out his wallet. "There, now what do you have to tell me about Saotome?"

"First of all, he's not a Saotome now," Nodoka's voice came from the doorway.

"Auntie Nodoka, what are you doing here?"

"Changing a few of Ranma's details. You know, his new family name. And I'm withdrawing him from this school, since that principal attacked my cousin and I." Nodoka glared at the principal's heavily bruised form that was standing in the doorway.

Nabiki winced. "Just so you know, Kuno-chan, that's Ranma's mother. And his new family name is Gowa."

"Gowa? As in Gowa city?" Kuno's less then stellar mind started to grind into action.

"Yes. Are you then one that has been harassing my son and that girl, Ranko?"

"B-but, they are older then even the Kuno clan. Their history goes back to the Heian period," Kuno was stunned that the low born Saotome was actually not so low born.

"I believe that my family's history goes back even further then that, young man." Kiyoharu spoke for the first time, moving his glasses so that a ray of sunlight hit them just so. "Ranma is coming with us, away from this mad house." Turning to face the principal, he continued, "Mister Kuno, be thankful that my cousin managed to fend off your attack. Had you succeeded," he paused and gestured to the younger Kuno and Nabiki. "I'm sure that your son or this young lady could tell you the consequences of a blood feud with a clan like ours."

Nabiki winced.

Tatewaki looked at his father, shaking his head in disgust.

Ranma smiled when he entered the room, not having heard the previous part of the conversation. "So then guys, are we ready to leave?"

"Er, one moment. Ranma, I need a word with you." Nabiki acted quickly to avoid the wrath of Ranma's family.

"Ok Nabiki, where do want to talk? I want to get going."

"Follow me." Moving away from prying eyes and nosy students, Nabiki lead Ranma into a janitorial closet.

"What's this about?" Ranma asked impatiently.

"It's about my past treatment of you, Ranma. I wanted to apologise to you."

Ranma looked at Nabiki for a moment. "Why?"

"I know that I haven't exactly given you plenty of reason to trust me, but I never lied to you. And since I'm probably never going to see you again, I wanted us to part on good terms."

Ranma took a half step towards Nabiki. Looking in her eyes, he saw what he thought was sincerity. For once he read someone correctly. Not only that, it was _Nabiki Tendo_. "Ok Nabiki. I accept your apology."

"Ranma!" Nodoka called out. "It's time we left."

"Ok mom" Ranma replied. "I guess this is good bye. Take care, Nabiki."

Ranma left the broom cupboard and Nabiki to catch up with his mother.

"So Ranma, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go meet the folks." Ranma answered with a smile.

Nabiki was left alone with her confused thoughts.

*****************

"So Ranma, what did Nabiki want to talk to you about?" asked Kiyoharu.

"She wanted to make sure we parted on good terms. Why?"

"Well, your cousin and I had a bet going that she wanted to have a good bye kiss before you left."

"Mom!" Ranma was blushing furiously.

Kiyoharu smiled. "Don't worry Ranma, we're only teasing you. But if she wanted to make sure that you parted on good terms, then I'm almost afraid to ask what happened during your stay in Nerima."

Ranma was quiet for a minute. "Some of her actions were necessary to keep a roof over her family's head, please don't do anything to hurt them."

"Alright Ranma. Because you asked, I'll let it go. I doubt that they'll do anything to hurt you now that they know who your family is." Kiyoharu smiled, "there's always a bigger fish."


*****************

Soun Tendo was looking at Ryoga Hibiki, trying to gauge his skill level in a sparring match against his old friend and training partner, Genma Saotome.

Genma had the speed advantage, despite being older and heavier and was leading Ryoga around the Tendo yard.

Ryoga seemed to be having fun for once as he managed to tag Genma several times in the match. The taunts were still coming, of course, but Ryoga took these in his stride as criticism from a master of Anything Goes rather then a snot nosed punk his age.

"Break!" Soun called out wanting to confer with Saotome.

"What do you think Genma?"

"He's not bad," Genma spoke around his deep breaths. "He needs to be quicker if he wants to master our style, though."

"Agreed. I think that if we can put him through a crash course in Anything Goes, he'll be enough to secure the dojo's future."

"What do you mean?" asked Ryoga.

"We want you to be the heir to the Saotome school of Anything Goes. You'll marry the heir to the Tendo school and teach at the dojo. That is if you accept our offer." Soun mentioned in an off-handed manner.

"I accept your offer." Ryoga jumped on the Tendo patriarch and shook his hand so vigorously that he nearly dislocated the man's arm.

"Ok, son." Soun winced. Rubbing his shoulder, he turned to Genma and smiled, "now how about we tell Akane the good news."


*****************

Nabiki looked out of her window at the scene unfolding below her.

"I hope that Akane is happy with her new fiancée," she said to no-one in particular. She frowned as she recalled the message her assistant relayed to her from yesterday; Akane was seen asking Ryoga out on a date. "Well, I guess that we was wrong about Akane having feelings for Ranma. But hey, at least he won't antagonise her as much, so the repair bills should be lower."

Sighing to herself, she thought about how her family was going to put food on the table without Ranma's "help".

'Maybe I should sell Ryoga some advice on how to deal with Kuno-chan?'


*****************

Akane smiled at her new fiancé as they walked together to school.

'Kuno better not try something today. I won't have him destroy my happiness now that I've found some.'

"Something up Ryoga?"

"Just wondering what would Kuno will say when he finds out that we're engaged. That's all, Akane."


Kuno stood at the gates and glared at Ryoga. "So this is the lowborn cur that claims to be the fiancé of the fierce tigress, Akane Tendo. Mark my words, Hibiki, I shall free her from your clutches!"

Ryoga appraised Kuno's stance and determined that he wasn't as good as he claimed he was. "Lunch time, Kuno. We shall settle this once and for then. You defeat me, then I will dissolve the engagement from my end and Akane will be free to date whomever she wants. I defeat you, and you leave us alone. Is that acceptable to you?"

Kuno thought for a moment. "Yes, at lunch time on the field we shall have our duel." Turning on his heel, he stalked off to his class.


*****************

To be continued.

Thanks go out to Chi Vayne as my pre-reader.

Next time on Project Mile Two some of the following may or may not occur:-

Ranma meets the TA company?
Property damage?
A Tendo finally gets a legitimate job?
Other stuff?