Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Frivolous Lovers ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frivolous Lovers

 

Gensoumaden Saiyuki

 

Chapter Two

 

On the thirty-first of December in the New Year's Eve, various fireworks exploded in the sky, enveloping the entire city with brilliant colors. Vast crowds had gathered on the streets to watch the ongoing parade, dancers and such performing on the floats as they passed. The festival was at its climax, as citizens conversed, devoured the local food offered and took part in the incessant street dance. More and more people joined in as the clock finally struck twelve, and a huge jovial cheer rose out from the city, celebrating the New Year.

 

Except one.

 

There was nothing even remotely remarkable about him, leaning against the lamppost with an air of indifference that belied the energetic - crackling - atmosphere that struck Czechuan Town and its people. Not wanting to risk a damper on their heightening spirits, they simultaneously ignored the adolescent, and he, the same.

 

"Lose the long face, young'un," someone snorted beside him. He turned, and saw an old woman peering curiously at his face. Her breath smelled suspiciously of wine, and it made his head swirl slightly. "It's kinda like... you're raining on everyone's parade!"

 

"...okay." He looked back down his feet.

 

"'Tis a time for enjoying and drinking the spirits," she continued, poking her wooden stick at his knee sharply. "A ripe age, you are, to make the ladies swoon over you, especially those eyes of yours - a mighty fine color of flaxen, if you ask me."

 

His mouth twitched. "They're golden."

 

"Golden, schmolden," the woman crackled. "The point is to have fun. Here. Tonight. Dump your troubles over your shoulder and let loose for once. Take China Blue Street." She gestured around her. "Here, you ain't going to find any poor souls sobbing their eyes out - here, they simply have fun. You visit any good places around here, boy? Czechuan's full a breathtaking place and it's a shame if you miss them. Like... ah, I know, the pond around that restaurant just at the edge of town? It's said that if you bring your lover there..." she was saying.

 

He shook his head. "I've been to Czechuan Park."

 

Oh yes, he did go to the park. He even went there just this afternoon.

 

"Ah, Czechuan Park. Too quiet for my tastes but for some reason, my son always likes to go there. It's famous for its trees, and ol' Lee always likes to go there to relax... though sometimes he fell asleep there, the old pompous fool. You like it there?"

 

He didn't know what to say. "... It's a pleasant place. I'm going there sometime... later..." he answered carefully.

 

"No, don't go at night," she scolded, and burped loudly. "Ah, excuse me... where was I? Oh yes; it's around mid-morning to late evening where you could see all the flowers flying everywhere!" She held her hands out for emphasis. "I got lost there because there're just so many flowers...!"

 

"... Yeah."

 

***

 

Flora and wildlife were blossoming, especially in Czechuan Park where the petals cascaded gently on its lawn, coloring the isolated park with the vibrant color of lilac it was known for. It had been an arduous evening, and most people were looking forward to spending their time with their families - perhaps, for tradition's sake, watching the petals while sipping wine, or maybe celebrate the holiday in the upcoming festival tonight - and relishing in the tranquility only this season could bring. Everywhere, people retired to their homes, heartily bidding one another goodbye as they rushed back to prepare for the celebration...

 

Naturally, very few were looking rather forward to the hard labor of plowing the fields at present. Of course, they were aware that, on rare occasions, rain might pour bucket down and destroy the crops they had worked hard for, but it was far better to indulge yourself in sprawling in your lounge to catch up lost hours of sleep, and worry about them later when workday called.

 

Trees rustled in response to the sudden gust of wind, and lilac petals fluttered around the park before settling down on the ground gently, some crushed under the heel of a passerby strolling quietly along the path. The sun was setting.

 

Goku absently dawdled with a few petals that drifted on his shoulder.

 

He continued walking.

 

****

 

The old woman excused herself hurriedly, likely too affronted by the nonchalant way her questions had been answered. It had been a long afternoon. An exhausting afternoon where - even his body had its limits - it proved to be entirely to unsettling for him. The young teen glanced up, through mild curiosity, and saw a little boy running enthusiastically, away from his friends as they played a game of tag in the middle of the crowded streets. He didn't know if he wanted to join them, but he, in the end, decided against it.

 

He didn't want anything to do with them.

 

A flash of lilac caught his eye, and he sharply glanced up, not knowing exactly what to expect. Startled, he realized that it was only a mere gargantuan balloon some kid was waving around frantically. The kid lost his balance and fell flat faced on the ground, releasing his precious balloon as it flew up to the night. Sounds of furious wailings drifted to and past his ear, as he returned to his indifferent state once more, just standing there, doing nothing. He might have looked odd to some, leaning against the pole deathly still. But, frankly...

 

Did he really care?

 

****

 

Small petals tumbled to the ground, butterflies swarmed around; some were caught in the sticky - sinister - remains that were glued on the branches of the tree. The beautiful shade of color lilac, tainted by the repulsive black seeping into it. The remains of a demon. Dark blood splattered against the tree - only one visible - clean - area which was at the core; it was almost as if the demon had been blown to pieces. The blood continued etching its way down the tree, dripping on the trunks, and staining its surroundings with its malice.

 

The tree lapped in the crimson liquid, with the blood-tainted grass to give the only evidence of a demon exterminated.

 

The bullet wedged tightly into the thick stem of the large tree, gleamed.

 

That sacred aura, lingered...

 

Why did he feel as though he lived through this scene before...

 

****

 

He'd been offered a bag of chips, perhaps out of the mood, and he accepted it, and waited until the person was out of sight, disappeared among the sea of crowds. Everyone was screaming and talking around him, that it finally graced him a headache he had been expecting. Someone pushed against him, and he stepped out of the way, not wanting to get involved in...

 

...anything.

 

****

 

Blond. Utterly unremarkable yet, remarkable. The proud posture that no one but him could have managed.

 

He found him.

 

Can he hold on to the light? Did he even want to hold on to the light?

 

****

 

He held up the chips, stared blankly at it. Spicy ones. He hated spice. It burnt his tongue no matter how many glasses of water he doused his mouth with. A little girl ran passed him, and he suddenly grabbed hold of her before she escaped entirely out of his sight. A surprised shriek, and then, a look of delight when he pushed the bag of chips in her face. Thank you, was what she said.

 

"Oh God..." was what he murmured.

 

He shielded his eyes away from the crowd before they noticed the pain.

 

And grief. Blankness. Such combination of powerful emotions was enough to drive one out of the mind completely.

 

****

 

You want something I can't give. I won't give.

 

That I won't give to anyone.

 

You, of all people, should know.

 

I do as I please. No one will own me. Ever.

 

And if I give that something to you...

 

That something you always wanted from me...

 

I would go against everything I believed in.

 

****

 

Sanzo's words hurt.

 

****

 

Eternally alone...

 

Eternally, eternally alone...

 

Goku's eyes were full of anguished tears.

 

I'm back where I started.

 

****

 

It was morning.

 

Goku was still on the streets. The fool must have spent an entire - rainy - night slumped on the filthy earth of the streets up till morning, his head unmoving from the position of his feet. Looking from this position, it was not impossible to mistake him for a drunken juvenile who got himself a boot.

 

What was running through his head? Self pity?

 

Hardly.

 

Sanzo tucked away his glasses neatly into his sleeve, letting his eyes grace Goku's awkward figure. He held out his hands, cracked his knuckles and taking in the pleasant - cracking - sounds his fingers made. Crossing and uncrossing his legs, and did the former once more, he deliberately relaxed his form and leaned back against the park bench - it was slightly uncomfortable, considering his seat was practically drenched with rainwater. Again, he glanced ahead where he met the view of the empty streets right across the distance, not sure whether to raise his eyebrows in amusement or to bash the idiot monkey on the head where he most undoubtedly deserve. He tilted his face, squinting directly into the dark tint of the sky.

 

But to call Goku an `idiot' at his current situation was admittedly erroneous. No longer brimming with every emotion in the uncommon eyes that Goku owned, no longer flickered with the essence of innocence, they became void dark golden reflections that held no signs of light - he had came to understand that. Goku's eyes were ugly back then, Sanzo thought, lovely, yes, but ugly in a way for they revealed none of the detestation one would expect grew from the tedious years of jailed in that cave called prison. Instead, benevolence and incorruptibility shone clearly through the windows of the boy's soul. He was nothing, ridiculously white and plain as paper.

 

This was why he would always be called a fool.

 

Sanzo looked away from the sky, pausing long enough to hunt for his cigarettes. He took one out, lit it up with a lighter stolen from Gojyo's pockets, and took a drag. As the pleasantness of the cigarette seeped into his head, Sanzo straightened a little and stared eerily at the boy's profile, out to drown himself in the waves of anguish that haunted his soul like a second shadow.

 

Across the streets, Goku refused to even shift his feet, crumpled like a broken doll and discarded. At this rate, he wouldn't even blink an eyelid even if his clothes and belongings were stolen, right there.

 

Lying pathetically right there... Goku, I wonder what's running through your mind right now. You're disheartened by yesterday's encounter, I can tell. Were you hoping I'd come to you, carting you off the streets and whisper the words you so longed to hear? If it was anyone else but me, you'll surely be granted that...

 

I will say how many times you want me to say.

 

But you, of all people, should know I will never mean them.

 

And yet, you still twisted my arm, stubborn as a mule, you are... Sanzo took another drag from his cigarette, thoughtful.

 

You've always been that way.

 

Tell me. Why am I not surprised?

 

Goku began shift his body slightly, and hauled himself to an upright position, finally registering his surroundings. He seemed blank and bewildered. Sanzo watched him in mild interest, Goku standing on seemingly wobbly legs as he cautiously looked around like a lost puppy. After a long moment did he finally managed to register where he was, that small spark of life that caught Sanzo's eyes as he stirred dissipated into thin air. Sanzo shifted his position slightly to the right, cloaking himself away from open view so he wouldn't be noticed at all.

 

Interesting. What will you do next?

 

Goku searched his clothes for a while longer, and seemed satisfied that nothing of his personal belongings was stolen while he was out cold in the middle of the open streets. Sanzo watched him lean against that lamppost again. It was similar to discovering a new puzzle box, where he was presented with thousands of riddles in order to solve it, and the intrigue and absorption proved decidedly tempting, he being a man who rather liked solving conundrums.

 

Standing still there... what are you waiting for? Well, since I came out here - early morning - just to find you, and what luck too, since I stumbled on you just five seconds later… Hakkai can wait... I'll put off his worries later...

 

What're you going to do next, Goku? I'm here. Fool, you aren't even aware of my presence.

 

The weather changed, and what was left of the dark clouds caused mid-morning rain segmented, bursts of morning sunlight shone directly onto him, and he let himself relax. He let his eyelids droop slowly, yawned for the lost minutes of sleep, but still he left one incisive eye half-open, and he glanced at Goku in between moments - that familiar tingle whenever something caught his interest, however mild. Although it was recommendable to drag the boy back, he still would have liked to linger around the park and ponder over the predictions of Goku's next actions. That, because he had basically nothing to do in the morning - and the fact that the beguiling negative emotions the boy finally allowed himself to feel proved entertaining, for he wondered the way at which Goku will handle them. He shouldn't have let himself get worked up over something as insignificant as this. Damn stalker in him.

 

Absurdly innocent and inflexible, childishly valiant, perhaps even more than believed possible. He was unstoppable, as swift in eliminating his enemies as he was exultant in everyone's company. It would've taken not much to break through the spirit - if it were another - but because there were exceptions in every case, the boy couldn't be cracked even if he was hammered. Then he had spent a night with his intermittent friend, based on pure physicality, which resulted quite implausibly - Goku had shattered his carefree and naïve world and was now gushed in a river of pain and anger, that flash of hollowness that strongly reminded him of Koryuustimulated Sanzo's now-growing interest in the adolescent he had kept at his side from the very beginning. Though it was only two and a day that passed, nobody could go through the certain emotions that Goku was going through - and not be traumatized in some way. Goku was faced with the challenging path of recovery, and it caught Sanzo's attention like none had ever had.

 

Gojyo ought to be sent a word of credit. Maybe not.

 

Besides, he moaned out Hakkai's name.

 

As much as it was only a night of release for the both of them, Sanzo couldn't help but feel a little irked that he couldn't distract his bed companion from the thoughts of the guy. Then again, it just proved how much the idiot redhead lusted over his comrade. Fools, all of them.

 

Sanzo raised his eyes at the stilled form of Goku. He was more than ready to admit that his rather unique relationship with the boy would have caused, at least, some pandemonium. The aphorism of the title Sanzo was to obey, without question - disobey, prosecuted. Relationships were forbidden: for the title Sanzo required the utmost attention to duties - let alone taking in a potentially dangerous felon - jailed for whatever it was that he did - even if it was a mere boy, and delightfully committing sins with him. The previous Sanzo would not have accepted Genjo Sanzo's ways of life.

 

But as much as he looked up to his master...

 

He was still his own person. So he didn't care.

 

Out of the corner of his eye, Goku began to move. He had begun to look Sanzo's way, and the boy's frowns proved that he still hadn't registered his presence yet, the fool. Sanzo tilted his head slightly - deliberately - and cast carefully concealed eyes to the blank ones that, for a moment, flickered with surprise before it gradually died down and darkened. How uncharacteristic it was for Goku to be like this, to struggle for insouciance he won't ever manage even if his life depended on it. Not that it actually worked. He was, by all means, too innocent, naïve, chaste to the bitter end - everything mirrored against Sanzo. He shed tears - when he shouldn't. He laughed - when he shouldn't. He held Sanzo as his sun - when he definitely shouldn't be.

 

It was one of the things about Son Goku Sanzo didn't understand - and probably never will.

 

They stared at each other for a second, before Goku started walking away. Sanzo, on the other hand, remained serenely where he was. His fingers paused from his cigarette. He let it dangle loosely from his fingers, dropping it to the ground and crushed it under his heel. Nearby, a little girl arrived at the park entrance along with her mother, her squeals tearing through the comfortable silence.

 

You're heading towards the club? I thought it closes only in the morning. Drowning yourself in liquor, saru? I never would have thought.

 

Idiot.

 

Sanzo worked the tension out of his neck, and yawned again.

 

Yes, you're an idiot.

 

But perhaps, so am I.

 

I've never followed anyone before.

 

After I caught up to you...

 

...for the amount of troubles you put me through, I'm thinking I should kill you.