Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Positive Balance ❯ 500 Years of Reminescences ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Yihee! Chapter 2 at last. I'm making progress. Please read and review!~ Gamsahamnida!
 
DISCLAIMER: I'm poor. Don't have a penny in my pocket. Just living off my parents. I'm only a 3rd year Nursing student and struggling writer in the Philippines. I don't own Gensoumaden Saiyuki and would never wish to due to the overwhelming pressure of owning something that financially huge and demanding. But I do own Meika, and this fic, and a lot of stuff that does not concern this anime (e.g. the clothes on my back, my notebook, computer, and refrigerator [my constant companion in writing this fic :D].
 
 
CHAPTER 2: 500 YEARS OF REMINISCENCES
 
The car horn and tire screeches almost gave me away. I nearly used my powers to freeze the time of the jeep's movement. If I had done that, not only would the mortal people know the truth of my identity, but my superiors would recall me to Heaven and I'd be locked up, transmigrated or worse—used as a killing puppet.
 
But at that moment, when I saw who owned the jeep, somehow, I felt small, powerless, almost to the point of tears. I wished the ground would swallow me whole for at that moment, I didn't know how to face them, remembering the events that happened 2 months ago and the 500 years of memories that I have about them.
 
The party to the west. The sun yellow hair of Konzen Douji, now Genjou Sanzo. The ever wise and caring Tenpo Gensui, now Cho Hakkai. The liquor loving, impudent, but funny Kenren Taisho, now known as womanizing Sha Gojyo. And of course, the one my brother and I were closest to—the heretic, Son Goku. They were the former gods that battled alongside with my brother 500 years ago, and yet fought Homura just 2 months ago. What should I do? What should I say? Sure, the Goddess of Mercy told me to help them in anyway I can if I ever see them here in the mortal land, but what can I do for them that is not punishable by Heaven, would not make me tell them of their past lives, and would not blow my cover?
 
These thoughts raced in my head as the people in the jeep conversed.
“Aw! Hakkai! Why the sudden stop, ne?” Goku cried out.
“I almost fell over the corrupt monk! Don't—“ Gojyo exclaimed but was cut short by Sanzo as he pointed his Spirit Gun at Gojyo. “Wanna die quickly?” “Oi, Sanzo..I was just kidding.” Gojyo sweated. “Sorry guys. There is a girl in the middle of the road.” They all turned to look at me. I just stood there. For some reason, my body felt like lead. I couldn't move. I didn't know what to say. It took them only a few seconds to recognize me. “WAH!” Goku exclaimed. “It's that girl we saw with Homura!” “What?! Homura's girlfriend?!” Gojyo piped up. “Chigau yo! You're wrong! I'm not Homu-niichan's girlfriend! How many times do I have to tell you I'm his best friend!”
Well, now! That was a good start at a conversation. I had originally thought and actually intended to deny that, but sometimes, I can't control my outbursts. “You're name is Meika-sama, right?” Hakkai asked with a smile. “May we know why you are here?” Now, that was asking politely. Hakkai deserved a polite answer. “Well, I was sent here to protect the surrounding villages from the attacks of youkais and any evil elements.” Sanzo spoke up. “A recluse goddess to protect the villages? What a joke! Heaven is becoming desperate after Homura's rebellion.” It was both rude, and insulting, not actually to Heaven, but to me and Homura. “Recluse?” I raised an eyebrow. “If you only had the slightest memory of what happened 500 years ago, then you would know that I was, and never were a recluse!” True, I was hurt by what he said. Asceticism was never what happened to me. I was a prisoner, not a hermit! He knows—or should know—that. 500 years ago, he had cared for my welfare as he had for Goku. Most of the papers he signed and transcribed everyday as Konzen were my “request for release” papers stating that I had “no apparent ability to stop time and defy dimensions and therefore is not a threat to the authority of Heaven.” The reason I was given freedom only after 500 years later was because of their transmigration forfeiting and delaying my release. I remember the day that Kanze brought him to see me for the first time. Kanze had always thought that my dark pinkish-chestnut hair was a striking contrast to his nephew's bright sun-colored one, but our personality's didn't differ much. He had promised to help me and my brother. But that man has long vanished. He had disappeared in the recesses of his soul and became a mortal. From what I heard from Kanze, he has not changed much from being Konzen, but how come he said that to me? Could I really put the blame on his transmigration and lack of memory?
 
“I actually am now a fighting god in place of my brother Nataku and Homura.” I felt the triumph over the argument as they stared at me obviously from shock. “A fighting goddess to be exact.”
 
 
x*X*x
 
The ride was spent in a not entirely awkward silence. I had offered them lodging and dinner at the house I was staying in since no inns were open for the last 2 months in the village. I wanted so much to talk to them the way I did 500 years ago when they were still gods, fighting alongside Nataku. But things have changed. They are now mortals. They didn't have any memories of their past lives. What do I tell them? I looked at Goku, seated across me. He was looking at me intently, as if pondering something. “What is it?” I inquired. “Ne.” he spoke up. “Yeah?” “Your hair.” He told me. “What about it?” I said as I gave him a smile. “It's pink when the sun hits it like sunset. It's so different from Sanzo's yellow one.” I was shocked. It's the same thing he told me when he first noticed it 500 years ago, but of course Sanzo was Konzen then. “Eh..y-yeah.” I had managed to say. He had told me back then that Konzen's was like sunrise, while mine was sunset. Silence again. Gojyo, who was seated beside me, muttered something under his breath, but I was quick to hear it. “A female fighting god? Psh! That's new. What's next? A Jade Empress?” I faced him. “Even Heaven can change its rules.” It was half-true. I just didn't have the heart to tell them “the fate of the defiled” which had caused them their immortality. I didn't want to open the topic either. “Ah! Ha-ha! You heard that? Ah..don't mind me!” he said, apologetically. I smiled to reassure him there was no harm done. Who could blame them for their shock and disregard? The idea of femininity in the ranks of the fighting gods had been considered outrageous even by the gods for a while, but soon, they realized they had no other option but me, lest they want to be killing puppets. He looked at the other direction. I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. Red hair and red eyes, like blood. He had the same features as a god, but back then he was not a child of taboo. He has not changed. Cocky, impudent, arrogant. Still the same guy I saw drinking sake above a tree in a solitary garden in Heaven. The same guy who used to call me “princess” when he fought together with Nataku. He was so carefree back then that I envied him a bit. I remember the day Kenren stood up for Nataku's rights when he was assigned to battle Gyumao. He got a punch from Nataku, as my brother's way of saying thanks. But consequently, he was well beaten up and lashed for his insolence by his superiors. But still, we were thankful that someone cared, however dim-witted the means of showing it.
 
“I'm hungry.” A growl, and a poignant look from Goku made me smile, breaking my daydream. “Don't worry. We're near. Here is an orange.” I offered him a fruit from the rations I had with me, which he took cheerfully, and ate like there was no tomorrow. “Miss Meika?” Hakkai, the driver of the jeep spoke up finally, while Goku munched happily in the background. “Thank you so much for taking us in for the night.” “It's nothing really. Kanze has told me to help you guys if I ever see you here.” Hakkai smiled. “Is that so? Then where to next?” “The big house with a maple tree at the end of this road.”
 
Hakkai. 500 years ago, he was Tenpo Gensui, Kenren's adjutant. He liked kids and had talked to me on countless occasions. I borrowed books from him to read to pass my time when my brother wasn't around and I didn't want to sneak out. How I borrowed books from him and got to know him is somewhat a result of my carelessness. I had sneaked out that day because I was so bored and my brother wasn't around. I went to the garden and saw Kenren on top of a cherry tree, drinking wine. I hid in my dimension passage so he wouldn't see me, but I watched him. I knew who he was since Nataku told me about him and I had seen him on the special occasions I was allowed to attend as the daughter of Li Touten. I wondered if he knew he was breaking some of the laws that Heaven has tasked. “Kenren!” A voice called out, obviously searching for him. “Oh no! It's Tenpo again. I have to hide.” He went down from the tree and disappeared. I then went out, thinking it was safe. I like sitting at the foot of the cherry tree, and taking the pink flowers. I didn't hear footsteps because I was so engrossed in picking the fallen flowers. “Your Meika-sama?!” Tenpo said in shock as he saw me, a supposed house-arrested young goddess, unbelievably out of her quarters and in the hidden garden. “How did you—“ “Please don't tell anyone!” I begged. I didn't want to run away. Somehow, I knew I could trust him. We then sat together beside the tree and I told him my story. After a long silence, which I had feared he hadn't understood me, he nodded. “Meika-chan.” He began. “I understand you. Demo,” he asked, “why did you tell me this? Don't you think I can't report this to the Jade Emperor?” I thought about what to say. “For some reason, I know and I feel I could trust you, Tenpo-san.” I said with a smile. He seemed pleased with my answer. He stood up. “Call me Ten-chan!” he said gleefully, more like a child than I was. “And if you ever get bored, come to my office and I'll lend you books to read!” I stood up, smiled back and replied in the affirmative. Then seriously he added, “I never break promises. I'll keep your secret. But next time, do not sneak out haphazardly. You're lucky I was the one who saw you.” “Arigatou.” I said with a bow. “Well, then! I have to go. I still have to look for Kenren.” And from that act of heedlessness came to be the beginning of a pleasant friendship.
 
Sanzo had been awfully quiet throughout the trip. I imagine he was thinking about my earlier scene with him. I could feel that he wanted to apologize but he was a prideful man, even as he was still Konzen. How he banters and treats the Goddess of Mercy, his aunt, is beyond me. I would have slapped him hard if I was Kanze. But, that is just how they talk to each other. In truth, they do enjoy each other's presence even if Konzen denies it. And even as Sanzo, he treats her the same way, she told me. I guess that's his bizarre way of regarding her as his relative.
 
We reached the house of the old doctor where I was staying in. We all got out of the jeep, and it turned back to Hakuryu, Hakkai's dragon. Goku offered to carry the groceries, but I had to see to it he doesn't eat them all. He has already eaten 2 oranges, 1 loaf of bread, and an apple. “Please, wait here.” I told them. “Sensei!” I called out to the old man. “Tada ima!” “Meika-chan! Okaerinasai!” he spoke as he went out of the house to greet us, his cane tapping rhythmically on the wooden floor. “The Sensei is deaf and has weak eyes and knees. If you're going to speak to him, speak loudly or else he won't hear you.” I explained to them. “Who are these men you're with?” The old man asked as he looked at each of the party to the West through his glasses. “They are fellow travelers of mine. They're headed to the West. They don't have any place to stay in since the inns are closed.” I told him louder than my normal voice. “Well, now. Come in, come in! You're all welcome.” The doctor said as he went inside, the tapping of the cane, continuing. The guys thanked him and started to go inside to follow. I was about to go in too after Sanzo, when he suddenly stopped, making me almost collide into him from behind. “Oi.” He said, without looking at me. “Yes?” “Do the people here know your real identity?” I was taken aback by the unexpected query. “No.” I said, smiling as he looked at me from the corner of his eye. “They all think that I'm a traveling nun with healing powers.” “Good.” That was all that I got from him. After that small conversation, he went inside. I stood there, thinking about what he said. He proved me I was wrong. He hasn't changed at all too.
 
XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx
 
Now that's a long chapter! I'm trying little by little to describe what Meika looks like through this fic, though it's really hard. I'm also trying to explain some things that happened behind the scenes of “Cynical Equilibrium” that has recently raised some questions to the “legitimacy” of my fic to stand on its own as a self-insertion fic. Also, making 4 guys who are usually cheery, noisy, and boisterous and banters all the time to have a conversation is really tough to write about. That was one of my reasons why “Cynical Equilibrium” was about Nataku. I can only write dialogues of 2-3 characters at a time. But I'm learning to add more to that. So forgive me if you find their silences annoying. Please be patient with me! Reviews please! Thanks for the continued support! Ja mata ne!