Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Save It for a Rainy Day ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Save it for a Rainy Day
Anime/Manga: SaiYuki
Rated: We'll start out PG13 and I doubt it'll go any further but it's better to be safe than sorry... I think...
Disclaimer: It's exactly like the word says... I ain't claimin' that I own nothin'!! Go ahead and sue... but do you really wanna know what I own? ... I didn't think so and I rest my case. Just read the frickin' thing already!!

~*~

Long day, lots of rain, lotta fights, lotsa silence, and-- no food...

"I'm sooooo hungry!" Goku exclaimed, whining to Gojyo who had been stuck in the hotel room with him-- yet again. It always happened like that, Sanzo and Hakkai in one room, Goku and Gojyo in the other. An odd arrangement considering that there would be much less fighting from the latter room if it had been set up so that Hakkai and Gojyo accompanied each other and Sanzo and Goku were in the other. But, whether or not it made any sense, that was the way it had always been done before and that was the way it was being done now. Gojyo sat staring out the window submerged in his own thoughts, while Goku sat in the middle of the room and griped about his gut.

"Wahhhh! My stomach acid's gonna eat me from the inside out or somethin' like that if I don't get some foooooooood!"

"Stuff it monkey boy," Gojyo snapped half-heartedly still staring at the rain. "You know the Three Aspects put a cap on the credit card. We can only spend so much a day so that we don't run completely outta money." Gojyo still sounded very far away but Goku was too worried about bigger and more important things to notice Gojyo's present state-of-mind, or lack there of.

"But I'm still hu-u-u-ungry!!" Goku let loose yet another long and seemingly unending wail. This time Gojyo was stirred from his trance-like state... and his seat.

"Shut it you stupid monkey, or I'll--"

"Or you'll what? What would a cockroach like you do to the likes of m-- OWCH!! Why you!"

~*~

Silence-- no, silence would be a welcome retreat from the not-so-soothing clatter of large, cold rain drops pelting the roof of the hotel with a vengeance. Only adding to the sick ambiance of the room was the uneasy and restless rustle of clothing. Yes, in here, one could only pray for silence.

Sanzo was truly ready to pounce anything that provoked him today-- heck, he would kill anything at the moment, whether or not it even had the chance to provoke him. Rain agitated him, it grated on his already unstable and temperamental nerves and pushed him to the point that, not only was he at the edge, he was teetering dangerously, one foot on the cliff and the other hovering over the edge that met with nothing but air. All of this caused by events in his past that were best left untouched and buried deep with in the confines of his mind-- especially on days like this.

His companion was not much better off. Hakkai sat at the window, unbeknownst to him, in the exact same position with the exact same expression as Gojyo at that moment. But, unlike the water sprite, who at this particular instant in time, was only brooding about the present and possibly the future, Hakkai had all of that and-- more prevalently-- the past. He bore his bygone days heavily on his shoulders, his troubles were just as horrifyingly dreadful as Sanzo's, if not one thousand times more so. Even so, Hakkai remained as peaceable as ever, never once snapping at those around him. This was even though today seemed to be even worse than rainy days past.

Normally the rain merely brought forth the aches of yesteryears, but as of late Hakkai had obtained yet one more bane in his life, something that refused to be pushed from the forefront of his mind by anything, including his abominable past. Though Sanzo was also feeling the worst of his slump he noticed that Hakkai seemed a bit more forlorn than usual. After watching him for a while he noted that even the sad smile was missing from his faraway look. With his chin resting on the heel of his hand and only a small amount of blinking and slight breath-like movements Hakkai looked like a life-like mannequin. Sanzo sighed when, in the back of his mind, pushed him to speak to his half-dead compeer [1] and even (bum-bum-buuuum!) comfort him.

He was saved from such an unpleasant task when a loud crash interrupted their not-so-silent silence.

~*~

"Now, look at what you did! Stupid monkey!"

"I AM NOT A MONKEY!"

"Ahhh, so you finally admit to being stupid, neh?"

"ARGH!"

Their room was in shambles, the blinds were hanging by one side, there were various sheets flung over the blades of the fan, and a lamp sat in a shattered heap on the floor between them. They stood facing each other as if engaging in a duel. Goku stood hunched over, seething, fists clenching and unclenching as he gritted his teeth. On the opposing side was Gojyo, looking smug as ever, Goku was the one who had broken the lamp and then he had even admitted to his stupidity. Truth be told though, Gojyo had something else that required his attention at the moment and rather than fighting he should have been approaching that problem himself. No matter now, what was done was done and what had been started had to be finished.

"I was waiting for the day you'd realize it, monkey," Gojyo said grinning ear to ear.

Goku, on the other hand, was on the verge of killing the water sprite and most definitely doing anything but smiling. "That's it!" he yelled as he threw his hands up and prepared to go for Gojyo--

"THWACK!!"

Goku went down and behind him Sanzo could be seen -- fan poised, foot on Goku's back, and a seemingly permanent scowl plastered on his face. With a flash of movement Gojyo was clutching the back of his head. When he looked up though, Sanzo was in the same place and the same look on his face.

"D**n it, Sanzo! How the h**l did you do that without even moving? And from behind no less! F'in' bastard," Gojyo muttered.

"Both of you, clean this place up!" Sanzo ordered, fan nowhere to be seen but in its place a read-to-be-lit cigarette lay.

"But he started it!" both Goku and Gojyo jumped to their own defense in the face of the very irritable priest. In response another thwack on the head was received by both of them.

"If you don't do it now, you will end up cleaning one another's blood off of the walls too," Sanzo hissed as the familiar click of a gun being cocked could be heard.

"Mah, mah, Sanzo," Hakkai stepped out from behind the enraged priest. He had been there all along but it was now that he was needed so he showed himself. "Really, that would just stain the carpet and the hotel staff would charge us more and we would end up spending more money than we have right now," he pointed out, sounding as though he were just giving some happy, friendly advice rather than attempting to convince the trigger-happy Sanzo to put the gun down and not shoot his fellow travelers.

Neither target un-tensed-- even when the gun was un-cocked-- until it had been safely put away in the folds of his robes for easy access. Even then they were still fairly wary. Sanzo sighed impatiently, closed his eyes, and growled, "If this room isn't spotless when I open my eyes nothing will keep me from using either of you to catch a bullet." All at once, like a great whirl wind, the two who had made the giant mess had actually cleaned it.

"Not that I really have to ask," Hakkai said as Goku and Gojyo stood there panting after completing their task so quickly. "But what was all the ruckus about?"

Both culprits pointed to the other and shouted, "He can't keep his big mouth shut!" After hearing each other say the exact same thing for the second time that night, turned to glare at one another. All of the sudden-- all very unexpectedly-- Gojyo sighed and plopped down onto the bed, waving it all away as though he no longer cared who won their spat. Goku just stared a bit confused. He turned to Hakkai and looked almost lost, his face asked the question for him, "What's up with him?" Hakkai just shrugged, looking worriedly at his friend. Sanzo sighed knowing full well what had been wrong with both Gojyo and Hakkai.

"We're going now, Goku," Sanzo grabbed Goku's collar and drug him out the door shutting it behind himself and leaving the pair to brood and sort things out for themselves, because even though neither of them had noticed it yet, both of them had the same concern plaguing their minds. Each had been thinking of the other, and still, they had no idea.

~*~

[1] compeer- I don't really know the connotations that come with this word, but since I had used every other word in my just barely working mind (besides of course bosom-buddy, but can you really see Sanzo referring to anyone as a *bosom-buddy*?? ::Hyatt dodges a bullet that just barely misses her head:: 0.0) I had to use it. Tell me if you know the connotations and if it sounds wrong to say that. I doubt it does buuuut.

A/N: Hey there! This is my first SaiYuki fic and the first shonen-ai fic that I actually plan to post. Umm, if you've read my other stuff you'd know that I normally post the exact opposite of shonen-ai... SesshoumaruXKagome -_-VV. So, I'm gonna try my hand at something that I've been dying to attempt. I hope you like it!! Please review and tell me if it sucks or not (I need to know if I should even post the next chapter)! Free huggles for anyone that does!!! ^-^!! Thanks!
Converting /tmp/phpHL9wN0 to /dev/stdout