Gensomaden Saiyuki Fan Fiction ❯ Save It for a Rainy Day ❯ And Still, It Rains ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Save it for a Rainy Day
Anime/Manga: SaiYuki
Rated: We'll start out PG13 and I doubt it'll go any further but it's better to be safe than sorry... I think...
Disclaimer: Er, uh, well ya see, if I actually owned this there would most definitely be some serious boy on boy action goin' on... but I don't so you should all just count your lucky stars!

~*~

Hakkai stared at the door wide-eyed and in shock, Gojyo wasn't much better off as his eyes grew bigger by the second, an action that was emulated by his mouth. After they had stared at the door long enough to make sure that Sanzo wasn't going to burst through it-- guns blazing-- Hakkai turned to Gojyo and with a large smile, said, "My, my, we do have interesting companions."

Gojyo sighed and nodded, reaching for the pack of cigarettes on the nightstand. "You're always too nice 'bout that stuff, Hakkai. 'Cause, trust me, interesting is the nice way of puttin' it." A single flame popped out of the tiny silver lighter and Gojyo inhaled as the tip of the evil nicotine stick began to glow. "Nope, what we got travilin' with us are a couple a' circus freaks." As soon as he had said it, he regretted it-- the walls were almost thin enough to see through. Of course when the bullet shot through them one could see through them.

"Ha ha! Better watch what ya say, s**t-for-brains!" Goku could be heard snickering in the other room. So it almost goes without saying that so could the sound of Sanzo's fan making contact with the back of Goku's head with exceptional force and the curses that flew from the monkey's mouth immediately afterwards.

A chair scraped the floor and a newspaper hit the bed-- glasses landing on top of that-- as Sanzo went for the door. "I'm going to request another room," he muttered unpleasantly. "Pack up the c**p in here before I get back, and do it right!" Goku muttered something unintelligible (the first sound that Hakkai and Gojyo had not been able to catch since all of this had started) and was promptly rewarded with another smack on the head followed by the door slamming and Sanzo grumbling grumpily down the hall. Things shifted about a bit before the door shut again and the overture that had been Goku and Sanzo ended.

After the initial shock, Gojyo's shoulders went lax and he heaved a deep sigh, "Remind me to bullet proof my wardrobe from now on."

Hakkai-- who was already busily going about setting up cheap cardboard coasters to cover the holes in the wall-- replied happily with words of eternal wisdom, "Perhaps you should learn to control your slightly over zealous mouth."

Gojyo gave a shocked look to the man moving about the room, it only took a moment for the shocked look to give way to a slightly bitter chuckle, "I've tried that one before, so far is hasn't exactly worked out so hot." He flicked his overly large ash into the ashtray on the nightstand and inhaled as though his life depended on it. This phrase was one that was intended only to remind him that he had to do something about his present predicament, he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be able to last without telling Hakkai how he felt.

Emerald eyes filled with worry were cast over to the back of a burgundy head. Hakkai sighed, for once having no idea as to how he could comfort his friend. "Gojyo?"

"Yeah?" he replied lazily, not even bothering to turn to face Hakkai.

"Is everything alright?"

"Fine, just f**kin' peachy."

Hakkai sighed, "Okay, I understand if you don't want to talk about it, but perhaps it would help. Details are unnecessary if you truly wish for such privacy-- but you do know, traveling so closely with others rarely leaves room for well kept secrets, especially with yourself."

"Yeah, but so far I've managed, I think I'll live just a little longer."

"Don't let it get to you too much, Gojyo. I don't want you to get too distracted when it really comes down to it, okay? The last thing I want is to see you hurt."

The corner of Gojyo's lips lifted the slightest bit to form the first real smile he'd worn all night, "Yeah, I'll keep that in mind."

Hakkai returned the smile, "Be sure that you do."

And with that, they fell into a comfortable silence.

Well, it was comfortable for a while anyway. Soon they were both back to staring out the water spotted window. Both minds busy with their own musings, and although both had similar thoughts, neither had a similar approach to the problem.

As Hakkai watched the raindrops fall his thoughts went somewhere along the lines of, 'Well, perhaps if I just pin him down and--'

While Gojyo was going more towards, 'I could always sit down and talk to him about how I--'

In either case, it didn't matter what the ending of the thought was-- neither really planned on going through with anything this night anyway. They each were quite aware of the other's disposition and they were not about to impose anything new upon them. So, like the good friends they were, both climbed into bed with heavy minds and sodden hearts.

~*~

Now, the thing about going to sleep with something on your mind is, one never really knows how they will react to it in their unconscious mind. That is, when one is able to finally drift off into their fitful slumber.

Gojyo was the first to reach "dreamland," but Hakkai wasn't far behind and as they slept, regardless of what their wakeful minds told them their subconscious took over and fixed everything.

~*~

Hakkai was only half-awake when he noticed how much warmer it was on one side of the bed than the other-- so, like any sane, half-awake person, he huddled closer to the warmth. The warmth, in turn, embraced him. Not thinking much about it, Hakkai sighed happily, and attempted to go back to sleep fully. That is, until Gojyo started talking in his sleep-- and he was much louder than Hakkai remembered him being while asleep.

Opening his eyes, Hakkai saw the most amazing sight he'd seen since waking up that first night in Gojyo's bed. Now he seemed to be in Gojyo's bed once again, but this time-- Gojyo was there too, and he looked absolutely breath taking.

"Hmmm, Hakkai... mumble-mumble-mumble..." Gojyo continued to talk in his sleep-- something that he had been doing more and more frequently.

Hakkai wasn't sure weather or not he was fully asleep, but it was not something he wanted to find out the hard way. Opting to slip out from under the warm sheets-- hopefully without being noticed-- he began to sit up and away from the sleeping form beside him. Unfortunately that didn't work out so well as Gojyo's grip on Hakkai's shoulders tightened and the green-eyed man was pulled back under the covers and, amazingly enough, closer to the sleeper.

Attempting to wiggle away without waking Gojyo up only proved to stir whatever dream Gojyo was presently having. The water sprite leaned in so that his face was in the crook of Hakkai's neck, after being there for a few moments he started to talk in his sleep once more.

"Hm, Hakkai smells real nice, hmmmm," Gojyo hugged him tighter. "Hnn, feels nice too," Gojyo's face was suddenly on Hakkai's chest as he mumbled only semi incoherently.

Hakkai was trapped. With nowhere to go, no way to go, and no real reason to flee just yet, Hakkai put his hand on the back of Gojyo's head comfortingly and went back to sleep. Perhaps waking up in the middle of the night had its odd little advantages.

~*~

'Jeeze,' Gojyo's mind silently commented. 'That's the most real dream I think I've had in a while. I can still smell him.' Gojyo scrunched down further into the soft sheets and the most comfortable pillow he could remember ever laying his head on-- although, the pillow did seem to be moving just the slightest bit. He tried to pick his head up but there was something holding it where it was; using a little more force, he was able to raise his head and inspect his fidgety pillow.

"GYAH!" Gojyo quickly silenced himself with a hand fixed to his mouth in order to cut off the sound that was threatening to burst forth.

'Why the h**l is Hakkai lying in my bed?' Gojyo's eyes widened further, 'This is my bed, isn't it?' He looked around and was mildly relieved to see that Hakkai was indeed in the wrong bed, and not the other way around. Now second on the list was-- 'We're both still completely dressed. What is going on?' Gojyo looked down to the sleeping man beneath him, this was the sight he had been literally dreaming about for months on end and now that he finally had it there were two things very wrong with the situation. One, Hakkai most likely wasn't aware of their present position-- which thoroughly confused Gojyo, but he would sort that out later-- and two, when Hakkai woke up, he probably would not be very happy. These were two very important points of fact that seemed to take any joy out of his fantasy-come-to-life.

He would have moved Hakkai, he most definitely could have moved Hakkai, and he might have had the chance to if he hadn't been so overly enthralled with the very sight of him. He spent a little too much time drinking in the sights because after a while Hakkai's eyes fluttered open and Gojyo was caught.