GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Safe Haven ❯ Unlikely Encounters ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Maguruma was a big man, taller than Toshiki, broader-shouldered and husky. But he was friendly enough and quiet, so at least no feathers were ruffled during their first meeting when Mr. No Brakes' truck pulled up at the back of Mizuno's compound. Shiba Ichigo was the other transporter, not one Hevn had met before, but she introduced Toshiki to him all the same.
He was an inch or so shorter than Toshiki, dark-eyed and dark-haired and even quieter than their driver. Toshiki wasn't sure what methods the guy used to fight with (transporters had to be able to defend their target, right?), but he didn't ask. Hevn had told him to keep quiet and let her do the talking.
Sayoko was brought out just as they were preparing to leave. Her kimono was done in blues and purples, and made her look even more doll-like than she already was. She was certainly the prettier of the two daughters, Toshiki had to admit. It was obvious why they were able to marry her off to such a wealthy family. He grumbled something to Hevn about why Sayoko couldn't have been dressed a little more practical for this sort of thing, but Hevn retorted that the girl had to look her best for meeting up with her fiancé at the end of their little trip.
Sayoko had delicate hands and they were clutching a box wrapped securely in silk, containing the twelve zodiac figurines. As curious as he was to see them, Toshiki didn't ask. His job was to guard the girl and the box, not sit around playing with figures on a truck.
He found that when Hevn brought Sayoko over to him for introductions, he wasn't sure what to say. She bowed respectfully, a gesture he'd never quite taken to doing, and he felt awkward offering his hand to shake hers, though she took it out of politeness. Hevn smiled at them both brilliantly.
"Alright, onto the truck with you! You have a long drive ahead."
As the two transporters, protector and the girl hauled themselves up into Maguruma's large truck, Toshiki cast an almost forlorn look back at Hevn. She just smiled up at him. "You'll do fine. I'll be here when you get back; we'll do breakfast to celebrate your first successful job."
Toshiki tried to quirk a smile, failed, and resumed his usual scowly-expression before sliding into the back of the truck after the others. It felt sort of nice that someone other than Kazuki had a little faith in him, but still...
Maybe he'd have felt a little better if he didn't have such a bad feeling about this...
 
 
Ichigo spent his time up front with Maguruma, seated neatly in the passenger's seat with one leg crossed over the other and his hands folded in his lap. They sat in companionable silence, and Toshiki wasn't inclined to try and strike up a conversation with either of them.
 
The blonde was far more content staying in the far back of the truck with Sayoko, who was also quiet and kept casting worried glances to the two in front. Toshiki paid her no attention at first, but eventually felt a little bad for how nervous the poor girl looked and leaned over to murmur to her.
"Don't be afraid of them. They're just the transporters; I'm here to protect you, even from them if need be."
Sayoko startled and looked up at him, dark eyes blinking a few times. Once it sunk in that Toshiki was trying to make her feel better, she seemed to relax a bit and smiled with a small nod. Toshiki only barely caught a glance from Ichigo up front giving him a bit of a glare, but he thought nothing of it.
"...So, uh... What's this fiancé of yours like, anyway?"
"He's..." Sayoko's smile faded and her expression went a little flat. "He's kind and generous, and he'll do well with his father's buisiness, and he'll take very good care of me."
"..." That entire sentence sounded so mechanical and practiced that Toshiki had a hard time taking it seriously. "He sounds boring."
Sayoko flashed him a look, as though wondering if he were joking, and then forced a tiny smile. "He is." And she left it at that.
 
It wasn't for another two hours that Maguruma informed them of snacks and some drinks inside a cooler loaded somewhere in the back of the truck. Toshiki fetched something for Sayoko, but didn't bother with anything himself. He still had a feeling in his gut that left him feeling uncomfortable and lacking an appetite.
He had, however, started to lightly catnap when the truck gave a violent swerve and the sound of the wheels on the shoulder of the road made him cringe as their ride became excruciatingly rough for a few seconds. Ichigo cursed and Toshiki was on his feet in a flash.
"What the hell was that?!"
"We've got company." Maguruma glanced into his rear-view mirror, looking more amused than anything. "Looks like this ride won't be as quiet as we thought."
Ichigo started to get up, looking rather apprehensive, but Toshiki advanced to the front of the truck. "I'll go. Stay here and keep an eye on the girl." At the firm instruction, Ichigo merely blinked at Toshiki, then gladly retreated to the back to stay with Sayoko.
Almost dreading his brave - and stupid - little decision to take charge of their problem, Toshiki sighed and made his way to the door located on the side of the truck. Maguruma called out for him to be careful, and his warning was promptly ignored. There was nothing Toshiki couldn't handle! Besides, whoever was following them had to be in a vehicle behind them, and there was little short of another semi that could have run Maguruma's truck off the road.
Not to mention whoever-it-was would need to get on the truck to cause problems and -- ...was that the sound of someone landing on the roof? 'God dammit.'
With a grunt, Toshiki grabbed hold of the ledge of the roof from the side-door and hauled himself out and up, a rather bold move as he made the mistake of glancing down and saw just how close he could be to colliding with payment if he slipped up. But thank God for upper body strength, of which Uryuu Toshiki was definitely not lacking.
The wind up there was almost deafening at first, and it took his eyes a few seconds to adjust enough to catch sight of the figure also on the roof a few feet away, thankfully also attempting to get his bearings on the unstable surface beneath their feet.
Toshiki stood first, hands in loose fists at his sides. He wasn't about to take down an enemy that wasn't even on his feet, and waited for the other man to do so before he lifted one hand towards him. "Sorry, but the girl has an appointment with someone important in a few hours. You can't have her."
Just before he sent off a gust of wind that surely would've blown his opponent clear off the truck roof, he suddenly recognized that face with the wide brown-gold eyes staring back at him.
"...Uryuu?!"
The voice clarified it, and internally, Toshiki half-cringed and half-smirked in absolute glee. He didn't lower his hand, but rather let the wind gather there in his palm for a few seconds longer--
"Sorry, Raitei, but this is business, after all."
--And the strong force of wind that left Toshiki's hand sent Amano Ginji flying off the roof of Mr. No Brakes' truck.
{tbc.}