GetBackers Fan Fiction ❯ Through thick and thin ❯ prt1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
It's raining... Ginji had decided to go out and take a walk. Again. Ban stared at his empty cup wondering if he should go after theThunder Emperor in one of his melancholic moods.

He took a deep drag out of his cigarette and looked at the ceiling of the Honky Tonk. He should go out there and see how's he's doing. Being sad all night doesn't do any one any good. But then again he should give him space evreynow and then too.

How much space is too much? And how much 'leaving alone' meant not caring?

With a heavy sigh Ban pushed himself off the stool. His coffee (supper) is done anyway and this cigarette's almost finished.

"Oi, Natsumi I'm going out for a bit okay?" he called to the girl polishing glasses behind the counter.

"Hai Ban-san there's an umbrella by-" but she didn't get a chance to finish her sentence, Ban had waved at her as he went out the door.

Ban pushed his glasses up his nose and wondered how long it will be before the rain extinguished the remains of his cigarette. He started walking to where he knew Ginji must be, savoring the last few puffs of his damp and dying choice of poison.

He found Ginji on the the overpass that provided the best unobstructed view of Infinite Castle, he sighed. His cigarette had long been discarded, Ban was glad he threw his pack in the car because he's soaked to the bones and stopped by that vendo machine before going here because Ginji hasn't had supper yet.

He came up to the blond and stood next to him, he didn't say anything noting how Ginji just stood there soaking wet looking on at the monstrosity in the distance with an empty look in his eyes. The eyes of the Thunder Emperor.
He gave him a few minuites and just stood there giving him his silent support. He leaned against the low wall and stared at Infinite Castle with Ginji, thinking of the fight they had, the things they went through together and the deep friendship they developed.

Ban knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that in Ginji his soul found peace.

He could stand here and get soaked rehashing painful memories and not go crazy trying to quell that guilt he carried. Neither did he feel empty anymore, not after that blonde grinned at him and gave him an exuberant hug because he gave him an apple. The empty, guilt ridden, raging Thunder Emperor carried within him this goofy, child like soul. Amano Ginji, pure, innocent, so full of life.

He wondered how he deserved a friend like this. Not after all he's done.

"Ban-chan." He looked sideways at Ginji who gave him a subdued smile. "Arigato."

Ban fished in his pocket for the energy drink he bought with the last of his cigarette money and tossed it to him. "Here, supper."

Ginji caught the energy drink that had enough calories for an entire day and grinned widely at Ban. "Waahh! This is good Ban-chan, share with me! Who knows when we'll get another job, I' am sooo hungry!"

"Nah, I'm okay, you go on ahead, you need to keep up your energy." he said wishing he could light up. The rain had turned ito a soft drizzle now, and muted thunder can be heard from afar. Everything looked surreal in the haze the soft rain has created, the clean wet smell of rain sought to enliven his heavy heart, but the sparkle of water off umbrellas and the sidewalks made the shadows in his mind come out in full relief.

"Ban-chan?" he turned to look at his partner who looked sad again.

Ginji is hungry, they live in a beetle, they have only several pieces of clothing between them, he didn't have two coins to rub together, they have bills that hit a million yen, they couldn't find work, Ginji is hungry and will be sleeping semi reclined in the car tonight.