Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ A Moment in Time ❯ I Wish That I Could Tell You ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: Shuichi asks a question and Eiri freaks out.

"Yuki...How do you tell someone good-bye when you stop loving them?"

The question came out of the blue, just spilling past his lips as he walked into my study. I paused, fingers hesitating over the keys, frozen, as I considered his question...and tried to figure out why he was asking.

How do you tell someone good-bye? Well, there were many ways, both good and bad. But the more important question is...why washe asking?

Does he want to tell me good-bye? I never noticed a problem...not recently at least. We've been getting on well...no fights. And he seems happy. How could I have missed something this big? I thought there were supposed to be warning signs before the end.

How do you tell someone good-bye? Well, love, you could always ask them that question. If that wasn't a hint I don't know what could be.

What ever happened to the truth? You know, coming right out and saying, 'You know, this just isn't working out...' I've always been a fan of the truth, none of this, beating around the bush, hoping they get the message nonsense.

How do you tell someone good-bye? There are as many approaches as fish in the sea...which do you choose? Which do I tell you to use to break my heart? The words that I would say, sound as empty as the way you seem to feel inside.

How do you tell someone good-bye? God, Shuichi...why did you have to ask me this? Couldn't you just have written a note? Or a sentence? Or even just left? It would hurt, but not nearly as bad as this does.

How do you tell someone good-bye? I...I don't know how to help you. I wish that I could tell you, how to tell me good-bye. I really do. Then maybe it wouldn't hurt, maybe it wouldn't destroy something inside me. Knowing I came up with the words you used to leave me behind.

"Yuki?"

"I don't know, Shuichi. I just don't know."

Shuichi sighed, pulling the cordless phone from his pocket, where he had stashed it absent-mindedly, taking the other party off hold. "Suguru? Yeah, Yuki doesn't know either. Best chance is to lay it all out on the table. Honesty and all that."

Fin