Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ And If The Sun Won't Shine... ❯ Valentine's Day Interlude ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“AND IF THE SUN WON'T SHINE…”
VALENTINE'S DAY INTERLUDE
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o -o-o-o-o-o-o-o
And even if the sun refuses to shine
Even if romance ran out of rhyme
You would still have my heart
until the end of time.
You're all I need;
my love, my valentine…”
- My Valentine - Martina McBride -
 
Pink had never been Uesugi Eiri's colour. Well, that was until he met his lover, Shindou Shuichi. Eiri found himself loving the singer's vibrant pink hair very much that he spent most of the time he should use for sleeping to run his fingers in the thick, pink tresses. To him, Shuichi was the most beautiful rose in the world. When Shuichi wrinkled his nose in disgust at the statement, Eiri simply brushed it off. This very day, the colour pink was even more special than before. Why?
 
It was February 14; St. Valentine's Day.
 
Of course, being the famous romance novelist that he was, Eiri planned to celebrate a grand day with Shuichi, without the interference of a certain raven-haired youth, or an overgrown child, or a smiling idiot, or an overprotective witch, or anyone for that matter. No one was going to destroy his day! Tatsuha and Ryuichi were nowhere to be found, considering Eiri had bribed them with exclusive tickets to the amusement park in order to get them to leave the house. Shuichi was still at the studio with his band mates. K had threatened to shoot their heads off if they did not finish at least a song that day. Eiri had put his lap top away for a change and was decorating the apartment he shared with Shuichi, Ryuichi and Tatsuha with the colour red. Red; the colour of passionate love - was perfect in Eiri's mind. Hiding the present he'd bought earlier for his young lover, he headed to the kitchen.
 
The fans of Uesugi Eiri would kill to get a picture of how he looked then. There Eiri was, in the kitchen, wearing a red sleeveless shirt (body-hugger) and tight, black leather pants and…A PINK FLORAL APRON!! Woot! Eiri had all the ingredients he needed to make a perfect homemade Valentine's Day chocolate. Humming to Bad Luck's `The Rage Beat', Eiri stirred the melted chocolate on the stove. The sweet smell of black chocolate filled the air. Since Shuichi loved sweet things (which was weird considering his stoic personality), Eiri made sure to put enough sugar or maybe a little bit more than normal. On the kitchen counter was a large heart-shaped mould. While waiting for the chocolate, the handsome novelist wondered what his lover was doing that very moment…
 
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
 
“What's that in your bag, Shuichi?” asked a curious Hiro. Indeed, Shuichi's yellow backpack looked too stuffed. Shuichi shrugged nonchalantly, tuning his guitar and running his eyes over the new lyrics he wrote. Sakano looked over the singer's shoulder and blinked. “Anou, Shindou-san… That's not the song we're going to practise today, is it?” Shuichi glared, sending Sakano across the room like a whirlwind. He folded the lyrics and shoved it in his pocket. “No, of course not. Oi, Suguru! Play the new beat again, would you? I want to get the lyric and melody done.” Suguru nodded and grinned, “Aye, Captain Shindou!” Hiro waited for a while before joining Suguru with his electric guitar. Shuichi then joined in with his acoustic guitar. Sakano had tears running down his face at the beautiful melody while K was grinning like a maniac.
 
This new song was going to rock the world! Shuichi was going to write the song in three versions; Japanese, English and Spanish. It was no doubt going to be a blast. Once every five minutes throughout the rehearsal, Shuichi shot random glances at his backpack. `Eiri had better appreciate this or I'll be damned for all the efforts I've thrown!' Click! All music stopped. Shuichi raised an eyebrow at the feel of hard, cold metal at his temple. K was furiously pressing his automatics against the vocalist's temple. “Pay attention, young man,” he said in English. Shuichi rolled his eyes and answered in English, “Relax, K. I know what I'm doing. Get that filthy gun away from me.”
 
“DID YOU JUST SAY MY GUN IS FILTHY?!”
 
“Actually, it's not filthy. It's super, duper disgustingly filthy.”
 
“WHY YOU ---“
 
Everone sweatdropped. Hiro smirked and looked sideways at Suguru. “Are you sure they're talking about actual guns here?” he whispered into the keyboardist ear. Suguru snorted and covered his mouth with his hands to keep from laughing his ass off at the comment. “I don't know. K could be quite clueless sometimes.”
 
“Sure thing.”
 
o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o
 
Eiri went through the decoration once again, making sure everything was perfect. Tatsuha and Ryuichi would not be home until midnight. They called and said something about a special show or something being held at the amusement park. “Wine - checked. Chocolate - checked. Gifts - checked. Table - checked. Light - checked. Everything - checked. Okay, Eiri. You've done it beautifully!” With that thought in mind, Eiri threw the apron he was wearing onto the kitchen stool and headed for a quick shower. Eiri hoped Shuichi would like what he'd done. The latter had been extra secretive the past couple of days, locking himself in his practice room and all.
 
When Shuichi came home an hour later, he was surprised to find his apartment dark and silent. With Eiri, Tatsuha and Ryuichi around, silence was almost impossibly available these past few days. “Tadaima…” He called out cautiously. Maybe Tatsuha and Eiri had gone home and Ryuichi was sleeping. A slight tinge of disappointment coursed through his heart. He glanced sadly at his backpack and switched on the light… and blinked. He had never seen his apartment so red! Petals of red rose were scattered all around the floor, creating a magnificent surrounding. His black couch was covered with red, satin cloth. Just as he closed the door, the light went out again. A single candle was suddenly lit, startling Shuichi. It was then that he realised the curtain was drawn and the apartment was bathed in ethereal moonlight. A lone figure that was holding a remote control and a red candle leaned against the wall before him. “Eiri?” The figure took a few steps closer. Indeed, it was Eiri.
 
The novelist's eyes were shining with pure love and adoration. He took Shuichi's hand and kissed the back of it before leading the singer to the dining room. He lit scented candles along the way. Although Shuichi's face was indifferent, he was totally awed inside. “A special dinner for a special someone,” Eiri whispered huskily into Shuichi's ear, sending the air vibrating excitedly. They sat facing each other and ate in silence. Well, Shuichi was eating okay but Eiri was simply playing with the utensils. He was staring at the love of his life.
 
“You're not eating.”
 
“I love watching you eat.”
 
A light blushed crept across his face and vanished just as fast as it appeared. Eiri, of course, noticed it. He chuckled and ate his share of dinner. Shuichi was impressed. Eiri had done an excellent job with the food. It felt almost like eating out in a five star hotel. After the dessert, Eiri led Shuichi to the living room and they both sat comfortably on the couch. “So, did you love the dinner?” Shuichi smirked. “Well, I don't know…”
 
“Shuichi…”
 
“I'm just kidding, you idiot. Of course I love it.”
 
Shuichi was rewarded with a hug and a chaste kiss on the lips from the grinning Eiri. Eiri then took a medium sized teddy bear from behind the couch and handed it to Shuichi. The bear was holding a big heart-shaped box and on top of the box was a much smaller box of the same shape. “Happy Valentine's Day, love.” Shuichi took the gift. His lip curved into a small smile. “Thanks.” The biggest box contained a large, beautifully decorated chocolate with the word `Happy Valentine's Day My Love' written on it. The content of the smaller box triggered something in Shuichi's heart.
 
“So, do you like it?” asked a nervous Eiri.
 
Shuichi said nothing. It was a beautiful bracelet; a charm bracelet that bore the word `Eiri loves Shuichi'. He closed his eyes and put it on. “It's… It's beautiful.” Eiri exhaled a breath of relief. For a moment there he thought Shuichi was going to say he loathed bracelets. The singer kissed Eiri's lips lightly and turned to his backpack. He took out a white version of Kumagorou, a similar heart-shaped box and a square, almost flat box. Shuichi jumped off the couch and ran to his room. He returned to the living room with his guitar. Eiri blinked, still holding the plush white Kumagorou and the gifts.
 
Shuichi motioned for him to be quiet and played the guitar. Eiri listened closely to the lyrics that followed a while later:
I can be an asshole of the grandest kind
I can withhold like it's going out of style
I can be the moodiest baby that you've ever seen
And you've never met anyone
Who is as negative as I am sometimes
I am the wisest man you've ever met.
I am the kindest soul with whom you've connected.
I have the bravest heart that you've ever seen
And you've never met anyone
Who's as positive as I am sometimes.
You see everything, you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I'm ashamed
There's not anything to which you can't relate
And you're still here
I blame everyone else, not my own partaking
My passive-aggressiveness can be devastating
I'm terrified and mistrusting
And you've never met anyone as,
As closed down as I am sometimes.
You see everything, you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I'm ashamed
There's not anything to which you can't relate
And you're still here
What I resist, persists, and speaks louder than I know
What I resist, you love, no matter how low or high I go
I'm the funniest man that you've ever known
I am the dullest
man that you've ever known
I'm the most gorgeous
man that you've known
And you've never met anyone
Who is as everything as I am sometimes
You see everything, you see every part
You see all my light and you love my dark
You dig everything of which I'm ashamed
There's not anything to which you can't relate
And you're still here
And you're still here
And you're still here...
 
When the song ended, Eiri had his eyes opened wide. It was then that he noticed the plush bunny was homemade, which meant Shuichi had sewn it for him. That explained his secretiveness the past couple of days! Opening the flat, square box, Eiri couldn't help but gasp. A necklace sat elegantly inside the velvet gift box. The pendant was a simple rectangular gold plate with the letters `UESS' engraved on it. Eiri swallowed a lump he didn't realise had risen in his throat. Shuichi had done all these for him. HIM: Uesugi Eiri. The words the vocalist said to him before echoed at the back of his head:
“I don't know why they worship your works. They're downright foolish.
“What in the name of seventh hell are you doing?! Do you wish to fucking die, you idiot?!!”
“I figure we should start talking before either of us starts sneezing and spreading germs all over my apartment.”
“A happy ending, Eiri? Your readers are going to be overjoyed. Still, your plot sucks.”
“Don't push your luck, baka.”
“Why do you insist on pursuing a dead man like me?”
“Like hell I did. You kiss like a little kid. Bleargh!”
“Whatever you say, Mr. I-Think-I'm-Irresistable.”
 
All the harsh words…
 
All the glares…
 
All the coldness…
 
Eiri knew then that Shuichi cared for him; that Shuichi loved him. The vocalist might never say it out loud but for Eiri, this was enough. He would forever treasure the Valentine's Day gifts he received this very day…
 
…Because Eiri loves Shuichi.
 
And a single tear of happiness trickled down his smiling face as Shuichi helped him put on the necklace.
 
“Happy Valentine's Day, Eiri.”
 
[ O W A R I ]
Disclaimer: Gravitation is not mine. The song `Everything' is sung by Alanis Morissette. Please note that the lyric has been altered to suit the story. Where it says `man', it should originally be `woman'. Track 5: Resurrection will follow soon. Please review!