Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Beat ❯ Chapter 12

[ A - All Readers ]

 
 
I hope you all like this chappie and I'm sorry for the long wait but I went away for the holidays.
 
P.S. I changed my penname to Death by Squishy cause of something funny that happened over my holiday. For the full story, go to my profile page.
 
XOX
 
Today was the day. Today, I was going to make my baby girl's life. Kagome has been my baby girl since she was first adopted. My sister wanted a baby so badly, but she just hadn't found the right man to settle down with so we spent months discussing her options. We always ended up at adoption, so that's what we did. Akira may not be my sister biologically, but she's my sister in my heart so when we went to the adoption agency we spent ages looking at the children trying to find the perfect little boy for her. I bet you didn't know that huh? Kagome was originally going to be a boy, but when Akira laid eyes on her, it was love at first site. She was looking up at us from the crib that she was sitting in, her beautiful eyes shining and a big, two teeth grin on her gorgeous little face. I can still remember the words that my sister said when she looked at her. `That's her Ryuichi, that's my baby girl.' One look at that little girl and I knew that I would do anything for her. When Kagome was a year old, Akira met a man that she just fell in love with; Saito Higurashi. He was such a lovely man and would do anything for my sister. It came as no surprise when they announced their engagement six months later. Seeing as our father died four years prior, I was the one to walk my sister down the aisle. Kagome waddled behind her in an adorable blue dress as the flower girl. I have never been prouder of Akira as I was that day. She looked stunning in her wedding dress, all white with ivory lace trim. Saito was a wonderful father to Kagome, and a loving husband to Akira. He was also one of my best friends. Two years into their marriage, Sota was born. Sota Kiero Higurashi he was named for our father, Kiero Sakuma. It always puzzled me that Akira never changed Kagome's name to Higurashi, but she said that Kagome was brought into our family as a Sakuma and would stay that way. I don't think I ever told her how proud I was to have her as a sister.
 
I will never forget the day that Saito died. Sota was only three, Kagome six when their father was ripped from them. I was playing cards with Tohma on a Friday evening in August, a tradition that have had since we met and maintain until this day, when I received the call from Akira. She was sobbing uncontrollably, trying to get the words out right. I only caught `Saito' and `hospital' before I rushed to her side. It turns out that Saito was involved in a botched bank robbery and shot. He was only there to deposit a cheque and he lost everything. Akira never moved on from him and to this day blames herself for not depositing the cheque earlier in the day like she had planned before having to rush Kagome to the hospital with a broken arm. The children were heartbroken that they had lost their father. Sota being as young as he was, didn't fully understand why his father had left and never came back, but Kagome knew what death was, seeing as she was the one to witness the family dog being hit by a car. During the funeral, Kagome tugged on my hand and looked me in the eye. Her eyes were so full of sadness as she spoke. `You're not going to leave me like daddy did are you Uncle Ryu?' It tore my heart in two to hear those words fall from her. I made a promise to her that day. I promised that I would always be there for her, no matter what. I am yet to break my promise to my baby girl, and I doubt I ever will.
 
Kagome's passion for music began young. As soon as she could walk, she always found her way to the kitchen to pound away on the pots and pans with a wooden spoon. By age seven, she had her first drum kit. She spent hours in her room, pounding away to a tuneless beat. The noise became too much for her mother, so I signed her up for drumming lessons. Two years later Nittle Grasper was formed and I barely had time to see her, yet every time I made it there to visit, she would drag me up to her room to show me what she could do. She would play and I would sing for her. It was not long after her eleventh birthday that I brought her to the studio so she could jam with us for a little while. She was smiling so wide it was infectious. Noriko fell for her immediately, and Tohma had been part of her life for a good few years. Everything was perfect, we had even gotten a drum kit set up for her special. We played around for about an hour, just making up our own music when inspiration struck and I had to leave the studio for a while to write some lyrics. When I came back, two hours later, Kagome was chatting with our manager, K, in his native language. Apparently, he had walked in on their session and was surprised to find a small girl sitting behind the drums, creating such a powerful sound. Ask K and he will tell you that he thought that they had switched the drummer out with Kagome until she played for him. After that incident, K came to the decision that he wanted Kagome on the next tour that we went on, so a year later, we made it happen.
 
I have watched her grow from the cherub that stole my heart in the orphanage, to the wonderful woman she is today, and I couldn't be prouder of her if she was my own daughter. She's standing here before me, a nervous smile on her face and her drumsticks in her hand, waiting for our cue to go on stage. She glances at me with a little fear in her eyes and I give her the same smile I did when she was a child and wanted me to chase the monsters away. It told her that everything was going to be fine and that I would be right beside her. I watched as Hiroshi gave her hand a reassuring squeeze and she gave him one of the smiles that she usually reserved for me.
 
Our cue comes and we make our descent to the stage to take up our respective positions before the lights come on. Today was the day. Today was the day I was going to make my baby girls life.
 
XOX
 
“Hello Shimokamo! We are so happy to be here tonight, aren't we Shuichi?” Ryuichi said as he bounced around.
 
Shuichi nodded. “Sure are! We have a wonderful show for you tonight and as a special surprise, your very own Kagome Sakuma is taking up the drums for this tour!”
 
Kagome gave a small wave at the crowd and it caused an uproar from her friends.
 
“Well, lets get this party started!” Shuichi said as music began to pour from the speakers.
 
It was about an hour in when intermission was called, and Kagome was called back to Bad Luck's dressing room by K. “What can I do for you?”
 
Suguru smiled at Hiro and then looked at Kagome. “We're going to play some music for you Kagome, and we want you to tell us if you recognize the songs and bands.”
 
Kagome nodded. “Why?”
 
“Just for fun.” He replied.
 
The music began and Kagome listened carefully. “Asterisk by Orange Range.” That specific song stopped and different music began to play. “Oh, that one of my favourites! It's Song of Truth by Do As Infinity.” Two beats into the next song and Kagome got it. “Easy, its I Don't Love you by My Chemical Romance.”
 
“We need you back on stage in five minutes Bad Luck.” One of the stagehands said.
 
The band piled out of the dressing room and up to the stage area, meeting Nittle Grasper on the way.
 
XOX
 
Shuichi wiped some sweat from his brow and grinned at the audience. “Well, that's it! I had so much fun tonight, didn't you Ryuichi?”
 
Ryuichi nodded. “I did. But before we go, I have a surprise for my baby girl, Kagome. Kagome come over here!”
 
Kagome blushed a wonderful shade of crimson before getting up from behind her drums to stand by her uncle's side. “I didn't do it!”
 
Ryuichi chuckled and slung an arm around her shoulder. “Kagome, you've always been my baby girl and I'd do anything for you. So that is why I arranged this for you. We have all worked very heard to pull this together and the conformation came just in time.”
 
Kagome stared at her uncle, a little curious and more than a little nervous. “What did you do Uncle Ryu?”
 
“You're going to sing for us Kagome. Hit it guys!” He said as he thrust the microphone at Kagome.
 
Standing stock still, Kagome had the sudden urge o high tail it out of the concert hall at mock chicken. That was until she picked up on the music being played and smiled. It was one of her favourite songs and she would have never guessed that Ryuichi knew. Seeing him smile at her from the sidelines, his eyes so full of pride and unabashed love for her made her realize that he had never once asked anything of her, yet had stood by her side unwaveringly. She would do this one thing for him. She would sing. Stepping up to the microphone, she waited for the right moment before taking a deep breath and closing her eyes.
 
“Well when you go.
 
Don't ever thing I'll make you try to stay.
 
And maybe when you get back, I'll be off to find another way.
 
And after all this time that you still owe.
 
You're still a good for nothing I don't know.
 
So take your gloves and get out.
 
Better get out. While you can.”
 
Opening her eyes, she took a glance at Ryuichi who was beaming back at her. She smiled back before looking out at the crowd, scanning for any of her friends. She grinned at Miroku and her brother, who screamed back at her.
 
“When you go, would you even turn to say.
 
I don't love you like I did yesterday.
 
Sometimes I cry so hard from pleading, so sick and tired of all the needless beatings.
 
But baby when they knock you down and out is where you oughta stay.
 
And after all the blood that you still owe, another dollars just another blow.
 
So fix your eyes and get up, better get up while you can.
 
When you go, would you even turn to say.
 
I don't love you like I did yesterday.”
 
Kagome took a swig of her bottle of water while Hiro was playing the guitar solo. She looked over and saw the sheer concentration on his face, broken only once toward the end when he winked at her.
 
“When you go, would you have the guts to say.
 
I don't love you like I loved you yesterday.
 
I don't love you like I loved you yesterday.
 
I don't love you like I loved you yesterday.”
 
Kagome bowed her head and walked back to where her drums where set up, leaving the microphone to Ryuichi and Shuichi. Ryuichi stepped up with a grin on his face. “That was so beautiful Kagome! Don't you agree Shuichi?”
 
Shuichi nodded. “It was, I just wish you would have let me in on the big surprise.”
 
“I know you very well Shuichi and you would have told her! Now this really is the end guys, I hope that you had fun and please drive safe!” Ryuichi said and walked off the stage.
 
XOX
 
Sorry it's so short, but you guys deserved an update and this was all I could think of. I have a horrible case of something and am having fever dreams so forgive me if anything seems real twisted.
 
Much love always
 
Squishy xxx