Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Because of You ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“Because of You”
Sequel to: “This I Promise You”
Written by: Chocho
Disclaimer: I don't own Gravitation or the characters from it. I do not make any money from the writing of this story.
Summary: A new baby. An autobiography. A funeral. A pregnancy. A shocking discovery and a woman with a grudge. And that's just this month.
Chapter summary: Part 1 of the Todono Funeral.
Warning: Angst, m-preg, language, sex
Source: “The Japanese Way of Death: A Funeral in Sapporo” written by David Aldwinckle. You can find it at: www.debito.org/JPRIjapanesefuneral.html
 
***
 
Chapter 8
 
Signaling, Shuichi turned into the parking lot of the funeral home and searching the already full lot was able to find a spot, thankfully, by the front door. It looked like they were one of the last to arrive. Not surprising. Nobody slept well last night, especially Kira and Eiri. Eiri spent the whole night throwing up and Kira had been fussy. Shuichi, who had not felt so well himself, was up taking care of both of them all night. Then Kane had a nightmare and trying to put him back to bed was a chore in and of itself. The only one who got a decent night sleep was Keitaro. Then the boys decided to throw hissy fits this morning.
 
[“We don't wanna go to Uncle Hiro and Uncle Fujisaki's! They're mean!”]
 
Shuichi had a feeling their accusation had a lot to do with the fact that Hiro and Fujisaki's patience had worn thin over the past two days and finally snapped. If Kane and Keitaro had behaved themselves then Hiro and Fujisaki would not have been “mean”.
 
He was not sure what Kane's reason was, but Keitaro was a little upset with his uncle Hiro because Hiro told Eiri and him last night when they “returned from the Wake” about what their son said. Because of that potty mouth, Keitaro was now grounded for a week. Keitaro blamed his uncle for his getting into trouble, though Shuichi had heard him as plain as day over the phone. Keitaro was none too pleased with Shuichi either because Shuichi was the one who suggested to Eiri that they should put hot sauce on Keitaro's tongue to teach him never to say something like that again. Keitaro had not liked that very much.
 
Then there was the little stunt his eldest son pulled this morning, causing Shuichi to ground the boy for another two weeks and Keitaro was none too happy about that either. Of course, it did not help that all Eiri did was spank Keitaro for what he did, making Shuichi look like an even bigger bad guy.
 
Not in the mood to deal with either of the boys antics this morning, both Shuichi and Eiri agreed that they could stay home. Because Keitaro was upset with him, he decided he would stay home to “help take care of Daddy and Kira”. Kane then decided he wanted to go with Shuichi to the funeral. Trying to find an appropriate outfit for Kane to wear to the funeral was another reason why they were so late.
 
Pulling cleanly into the space (which he knew was a fluke because he sucked at parking), he put the car in park and turned the ignition off. Immediately the cool air blasting from the vents dissipated. The temperature of the interior of the car rapidly rose and it became increasingly stuffy. Unbuckling his seat belt, he slid the key out of the ignition and unlocked the car doors with a “chin. As he grabbed his wallet and cellphone, his eyes floated to the rearview mirror and landed on the small, blond haired, golden hazel eyed monster in the back seat. A soft, gentle smile lit the singers face as he took in his sleeping son. He was just like his daddy, an angel when he was sleeping, but was a devil when he was awake.
 
Still smiling, Shuichi opened the car door, being careful not to hit the car parked next to him. Why did these parking spaces have to be so tiny? Stepping out of the car, he cringed as the intense summer heat enveloped him. He started to sweat immediately. Summer in Tokyo sucked.
 
Pocketing his keys, he clipped his cellphone to his belt, hiding it from view underneath his black suit coat and slid his wallet in his pocket. Shutting the car door, he walked around the car and opened the back door. Giggling softly, he studied his son.
 
Kane's head was tipped to one side, his mouth slightly ajar and a little drool dribbling from the corner of his mouth. His hands were palm side up and clasped lightly at his sides. He was dressed similar to Shuichi in a pair of straight lined black slacks and a white dress shirt, minus the suit jacket. His newly chopped hair framed his creamy white face. He looked so mature.
 
“So cute,” Shuichi cooed. Giggling, he leaned over his sleeping son and undid his seatbelt, being careful not to wake him or get him caught in the seatbelt. Grabbing Kane under his arms, Shuichi lifted him out of the booster seat with a grunt. “God your heavy,” he whispered.
 
In his sleep, Kane clasped his arms around Shuichi's neck and wrapped his legs around his waist. Sighing, he rested his head against Shuichi's shoulder.
 
“Awe!”
 
“Hm?” Shuichi looked over his shoulder and spotted his sister walking towards him. “Hey, Maiko,” he smiled.
 
“Hey there, Big Brother. Here,” she offered, striding past him to close the car door.
 
“Thanks.”
 
Smiling, Maiko crouched down a bit to peer at her nephew. “He's sleeping?”
 
“Yeah. He had a nightmare last night and was up most of the night.”
 
“Aw,” she pouted. “Hey,” she cried suddenly, straightening, “what happened to his hair?”
 
Shuichi rolled his eyes. “Keitaro happened.”
 
“What?” Her eyes widened with a gasp.
 
“Um, hm,” Shuichi nodded. “Keitaro chopped off his braid this morning.”
 
“I don't believe it!”
 
“Yep.”
 
“Why would he do something like that?”
 
Shuichi shrugged. “I have no idea. Kane knows just what to do to get Keitaro all riled up. He knows just what button to push to push his brother over the edge and when he does…? Keitaro snaps.”
 
“I'm so glad I only have one boy. I think I'd go insane if I had three.”
 
Shuichi rolled his eyes with a snort. “You have no idea!”
 
Maiko reached out and brushed the sleeping boy's soft, feathery hair. “It's strange to see him with no hair, but it looks good.”
 
“Yeah, well, he hates it and his brother,” Shuichi sighed.
 
“Do you know what happened?”
 
“Yeah. I had to run to the store to get an outfit for Kane to wear to the funeral. When I left, Keitaro and Kane were in the kitchen eating breakfast and Eiri and Kira were upstairs sleeping.”
 
Maiko nodded. “It's good they finally got some sleep, seeing they were up all night.”
 
“Yeah, but it didn't last long.”
 
“Why-?” Maiko sighed in disgust. She did not even bother to finish that thought.
 
Shuichi nodded. “Mm hm. Their fighting woke Kira up, which in turn woke Eiri up and Eiri was pissed.”
 
Maiko snorted. “I can imagine. What were they fighting about this time?”
 
Shuichi shrugged. “I think Kane was making fun of Keitaro, ya know, because Keitaro is grounded?”
 
“Ah! That would do it.”
 
“It does every time,” Shuichi snorted. “Anyway, Eiri grabbed Kira, trying to calm him down, and went downstairs to deal with the boys.” Shuichi paused, swallowing. “Then he heard Kane scream.”
 
Maiko's eyes widened. “Wha-?”
 
Shuichi nodded. “Eiri's heart just about stopped! He rushed into the kitchen and found Kane standing in the middle of the kitchen bawling his eyes out. I mean, heart wrenching, hysterical sobs-”
 
“Oh!” Maiko cried.
 
“-and Keitaro was putting a pair of scissors and a clump of hair on the kitchen table.”
 
Maiko gasped.
 
Shuichi nodded. “Keitaro had cut off Kane's ponytail, though he denied doing it.”
 
“That's crazy!”
 
“Eiri was none too pleased, to say the least.”
 
“I bet!”
 
“He did not feel well. Kira was screaming in his ear. Kane was howling.” Shuichi shook his head. “When I got back, it was a mad house!”
 
“So, what Eiri do?”
 
“He yelled at him, spanked him, and then sent him crying up to his room for a time out.”
 
Maiko's eyes widened. “That's it?”
 
“That's what I said! I yelled at Eiri for being too lenient. He yelled at me for getting too worked up over it. `It's only hair. It'll grow back.'”
 
“What?” Maiko shook her head. “That's not the point.”
 
“Ya know? I went up to talk with the little criminal. I asked him why he did it and he denied it, said it wasn't him.”
 
“Unbelievable.”
 
Shuichi sighed. “I told him he did do it and that he can't go around doing stuff like that and said that I was grounding him for another two weeks, but if he admitted doing it and apologized, then I would reduce it to a week.”
 
Maiko nodded. “Fair.”
 
“He didn't take it too well.”
 
“So, did he-?”
 
Shuichi snorted. “Nope. Still claims mistaken identity.”
 
Maiko shook her head. “Nice.” She was so glad that her children were so welled behaved. Well, at least compared to her brother's three little monsters anyway. “So, how's Yuki-san feeling? Any better?” she asked, breaking the silence.
 
Shuichi shrugged. “A little. He's not puking anymore, but he still felt like shit when I left.”
 
“Hm. Strange. He was fine yesterday.”
 
“I know. Must've been something he ate. Actually, I think he might have been well enough to come, but,” he shrugged, “I think he's using this as an excuse not to.”
 
Maiko stared at her brother in confusion. “Why?”
 
Shuichi smirked. “He hates funerals.”
 
“'He hates funerals'?” she repeated slowly with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Uh, huh,” Shuichi nodded.
 
“Isn't he a monk?”
 
“Yep.”
 
“And, hasn't he, as a monk, performed several funerals?”
 
Shuichi dropped his brows in thought. “I think so.” Kane was slipping. Shuichi shifted him, securing his hold on the boy.
 
Maiko snorted, shaking her head. “What about them does he hate?”
 
“The dead body part.”
 
“Ah!” She nodded. “I had a friend in high school like that. Totally freaked her out. So, where are Kira and Keitaro then? At Hiro's?”
 
Shuichi shook his head. “No, they're both at Mom's. I offered to take Kira to Hiro's, but Eiri said not to bother and said Keitaro would take care of them.”
 
“Male bonding,” Maiko nodded. She turned her attention back to the funeral home
 
Shuichi stared at his sister through squinted eyes, studying her carefully. “Maiko?”
 
“Hm?” Her voice sounded strained.
 
“Is there a reason why you're stalling?”
 
Maiko sniffed and rubbed her eyes. Turning around, Shuichi was not surprised to see her eyes watering. Her jaw was trembling.
 
“Maiko,” he whispered. He stepped forward and enveloped his baby sister in a one arm hug.
 
Maiko leaned against her brother, taking his comfort and his warmth. Shuichi rubbed her back soothingly in slow, lazy circles as she wept quietly; choking on her tears and sobs. A deep well of sadness and despair washed over her, filling her. Her heart hurt. Her soul was crying. It was hard to explain exactly how she felt. It was almost as if the rug had been pulled out from underneath her and she was now teetering on the edge of a cliff, unable to regain her balance. If the wind were to blow hard enough and in the right direction, she would go tumbling off. Right now, she was hanging on by her thumbnails.
 
Getting hold of herself, Maiko pulled away from her brother and reached into her suit coat, pulling out a Kleenex. She delicately dabbed her wet face.
 
Shuichi watched his sister in sympathy, his own chest tightening and throat constricting around a forming sob. Tears stun his eyes. Blinking rapidly, he took a deep breath, exhaling through his mouth and leaned his head back, widening his eyes in an attempt to dispel the gathering water. He stayed like that for several long moments until the tightness in his chest loosened. Clearing his throat, he lifted his head and smiled at his sister. “I think we should get inside. It's getting late.”
 
Maiko nodded and followed her brother towards the funeral home. Her feet suddenly felt like they were encased in blocks of cement and her legs made of lead. She let out a shuddered breath, feeling a weight in the pit of her stomach. “Ya know,” she whispered, breaking the silence, “it's strange.” She stopped shy of walking into the white sided building.
 
“What is?” Shuichi asked, stopping besides her. He turned towards her.
 
“I'm surprised your fans and the paparazzi aren't staking out the place. What, with you and Yuki-san being who you are?”
 
Shuichi nodded. “We were going to release a statement to the press, but decided not to. We want to keep it as quiet as we can. You know, for grandmother and everybody.”
 
“Yeah,” Maiko nodded. “Don't think they'd appreciate having cameras and screaming girls thrown in their faces when they're trying to mourn the loss of Grandfather.”
 
“You forget the fanboys, drag queens, transvestites…”
 
Maiko sighed heavily, rolling her eyes.
 
Shuichi giggled. “But,” he continued with a heavy sigh, “I don't think it'll stay that way for much longer.”
 
“Why not?” she asked in confusion.
 
Shuichi jerked his head over his shoulder.
 
“Huh?” Maiko glanced quickly over the parking lot then turned back towards him.
 
“Across the street.”
 
Confused, Maiko turned around again and glanced towards the street. She did not see anything particular or out of the ordinary. “'Across the street' what? I don't see-”
 
“The car.”
 
Maiko glanced back across the street, an eyebrow raised. The Ozaki Funeral Home was not located on a major thoroughfare, but it was still quite a busy side street that connected two main streets that were especially busy during rush hour. It was now past morning rush hour and there was a couple hours until the afternoon rush, but there was still dozens of cars going by at any given moment and vehicles were parked on either side of the street. “Oh, that narrows it down,” she said sarcastically. “Which one?”
 
“That dark blackish-grey Honda Civic in front of the bakery at the corner.”
 
Maiko looked for a bakery at the corner across the street and found it. It was a non-descript building with flowered curtains hanging across the lower half of the front windows. A few wrought iron bistro sets sat in front of the shop. Like Shuichi said, there was a dark grey car parked in front of it. “Okay. What about it?”
 
“Take a look inside.”
 
“It's a little hard to see because the windows are tinted.”
 
“I know, but you see that guy?”
 
“Yeah… What's he doing? It looks like he's holding something.”
 
“Camera.”
 
Maiko's eyes widened in understanding. “Press?”
 
Shuichi shook his head. The press he could handle. This guy was something much worse. “Paparazzo.”
 
“Damn.”
 
“Yeah,” the singer sighed. He would have to call Eiri and let him know. Shuichi shifted Kane. His arms were beginning to feel like lead. “I need to go find a chair or something. My arms are about to fall off.”
 
“Oh!” Maiko's eyes widened in realization. “I'm sorry.”
 
Shuichi started inside, but paused when he realized that Maiko was not following him. “Maiko?” he called over his shoulder.
 
“Go ahead. I'll be there in a minute.”
 
“Okay.”
 
As Shuichi entered the funeral parlor, he felt Kane stir against him. It was about time too. He swore Kane gained weight as he slept. Shuichi pulled his head back and watched his son as the boy lifted his head and rubbed his eyes. “Hey there sleepy head,” he greeted. “Have a nice sleep?” With a frown, Kane blinked and then buried his face back in the crook of Shuichi neck, wrapping his arms around his neck. Shuichi chuckled. Some mornings were better than others.
 
“Hello there, Shuichi.”
 
Blinking, Shuichi turned around and watched as his grandfather's younger half-brother strode towards him. “Good morning, Uncle Satoshi,” he greeted, inclining his head as best he could.
 
Grinning, Uncle Satoshi glanced at the human koala strapped to Shuichi. “Who have we here?”
 
“This is Kane.”
 
“Ah! So, this is the Kane I've heard so much about. He is the younger of the two?”
 
Shuichi nodded. “Yep.”
 
Uncle Satoshi walked around Shuichi and bent over to get a look at his great-nephew. He was surprised to see a pair of golden hazel eyes staring back at him. “He has his daddy's eyes,” he commented, glancing back at Shuichi.
 
Shuichi giggled with a nod. “They both do. They're like mini-clones.”
 
Uncle Satoshi chuckled. “Hello there, Kane,” he addressed the boy. “I'm your uncle Satoshi.”
 
Kane frowned and dropped his head on Shuichi's shoulder. “Go `way,” he mumbled.
 
Shuichi gasped and Uncle Satoshi's eyes grew wide. He straightened, blinking at the tone of the five year old. Shuichi slapped his son upside the head. Kane in response only tightened his hold. “Watch your mouth,” he scolded the boy. “You remember what happened with Keitaro?” He glanced at his uncle. “I'm sorry Uncle Satoshi. He didn't sleep much last night and fell asleep on the way over here and sometimes he can be a bit of a grouch when he wakes up.” Another trait he inherited from his father.
 
Uncle Satoshi waved his apology aside. “Don't worry about it. It's understandable. Besides, nobody likes having a stranger stick his face in yours, especially when you just woke up.”
 
“Satoshi,” came the call.
 
Shuichi glanced around and spotted his uncles wife waving at him.
 
Uncle Satoshi waved back at her. “I better go see what she wants,” he said, turning around. “It was nice talking to you, Shuichi.”
 
“Same here.”
 
“And it was nice meeting you Kane.”
 
Kane glanced at his uncle through his bangs. Meeting the older man's gaze, he turned his face away and buried it in Shuichi's shoulder again, practically choking him.
 
Chuckling, Uncle Satoshi inclined his head and turned away.
 
Sighing, Shuichi bounced Kane to get his attention. “That's wasn't very nice, Kane. You were very rude to Uncle Satoshi.”
 
Once again, Kane did not acknowledge what was said to him, only tightening his hold once again.
 
Sighing again, Shuichi started unhooking his son's claws in him.
 
Kane protested by whining loudly. “No!”
 
“Come on, Kane. You're too heavy. You can walk for a little bit.”
 
Kane held on for all that it was worth.
 
Sighing, Shuichi decided to bribe the boy. “Hey, you want to go hand over the money?”
 
Kane nodded against his shoulder.
 
“Okay, you'll have to let go of me then.”
 
Shuichi set Kane down with a grateful sigh and shook out his arms. They felt like they were about to fall off.
 
Reaching inside his suit coat, he grabbed a large envelope covered with black and white wire. Written on the front of the envelope, was printed “Uesugi-Shindou”. On the back was written how much money the envelope contained, the money being their funeral dues. According to his mother, Shuichi, as the eldest grandson, was to pay 30,000 yen. Shuichi had been unsure what his contribution should be because of his and his grandfather's history, but he spoke with his parents the night before and they assured him that he had been named one of his grandfather's heirs. That surprised Shuichi, but at the same time it banished the last of the doubts and shadows that lingered after he learned of his grandfathers passing.
 
“Here,” he said handing the envelope to his son.
 
Kane took the envelope and turned it over, studying it, then looked up at him, waiting.
 
“Take this to the man at the table, okay?” Shuichi pointed to a man with salt and pepper hair standing behind a table several feet away. He was one of his grandfather's ex-coworkers.
 
Kane nodded and ran across the hallway. Standing on his tiptoes, he reached across the table and gave the envelope of money to the man.
 
“Thank you, young Shindou-san,” the man said, inclining his head as he took the envelope from the boy's small hand.
 
Without another word, Kane raced back across the hallway and latched onto Shuichi's leg as if it was a lifeline. Shuichi ran his fingers through Kane's hair. Like him, it seemed to comfort his son.
 
Shima-san checked over the envelope, and then bent over to write something in a ledger. Shuichi knew he was marking down their names, relationship to the deceased and the amount they were paying.
 
“Is that your son, Shuichi?”
 
Shuichi turned around and saw his grandfather's other brother, Todono Waki, and his wife, Benio. “Yes, it is. This is Kane.” Shuichi glanced down at the boy, who was still clinging to his leg. “Kane this is your uncle Waki and Aunt Benio.” Kane glanced up at him. “Say hello.” Kane peered around Shuichi's leg, and then retracted it, burying his face against his leg and tightening his hold. Shuichi sighed and rolled his eyes. This was one of those times when it became obvious who Kane's father was (as if the hair and eyes were not enough). Eiri despised socializing and so did Kane- that was up until the boy became comfortable with the people he was meant to socialize with.
 
His uncle chuckled. “He's a little shy, huh?”
 
“You'd never know it if you saw him at home,” Shuichi admitted, looking down at the blond head. Prying the boy off his leg, he picked him up. “Come on. I'll introduce you to Grandfather.”
 
***