Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Blank Slate ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: Rated T for minor cursing, a possible concussion and a few mentions of suicide. “A person is so much easier to control when they're a blank slate.” -Naraku from the English dub of Inuyasha.
 
Brown eyes opened to greet the world. Then squinted shut as the glare of white light blinded them. Blinking furiously, they slowly adjusted to the room.
Everything's still blurry. What's going on? Am I dead?
A featureless figure shifted. “You're awake, I see. I'll call the nurse.”
He blinked. Well, at least I'm not dead. More importantly… “Who are you?”
He couldn't see the other man start. After a moment, “Oh yeah, you're practically blind without your glasses. Here.” Glasses? He was confused, but he took the proffered eyewear, and after much fumbling, he managed to get them on. Sakano looked around. I'm in a hospital room. Duh. He took in everything, finally resting his eyes on the other apparent occupant of the room: the tall blonde with the ponytail looking at him. He frowned. “Who are you?”
This time, he did see K start. “What do you mean, who am I? I'm the one that drove you to jump out a window, which I'm real sorry for by the way…” The last part was mumbled, rushed.
Sakano's frown deepened. “Window? I don't…remember…”
The older man now frowned. “You don't remember?” He laughed. “Stop pulling my leg Sakano-san. You couldn't have forgotten that.”
“I really don't. Now you never answered my question. Who are you?”
K narrowed his eyes and scrutinized the producer. He didn't flinch. Could he really not remember? “And by the way, could you tell me about myself? I don't seem to remember that either,” he added in a sheepish tone.
K gaped. I don't know crap about him! What am I supposed to say? Anything I say will probably be wrong, and I'll end up altering his personality! Wait a minute…K grinned as a plan formed in his mind.
“Um, sir?” Sakano was getting unnerved by his companion's sudden grin, which was becoming rather manic.
I can turn him into the perfect producer! A man after my own heart. He can finally gain some dignity and bravery! And if he does end up remembering, he'll thank me! Then I won't end up fired for driving him to attempt suicide!
“Sir?” Sakano said a little louder. The man looked positively deranged.
He'll gain some authority to get the band to work and along with me, they'll beat Nittle Grasper in no time! And I'll finally have a competent bar buddy!
“Sir!” he shook the blonde furiously. “Huh? Oh, yeah. What was the question?” Sakano sweatdropped. “I said, who are you? And could you tell me about myself?”
“Oh yeah. Well, you kind of have two jobs. You're the personal assistant to the president, and you…” K trailed off as Sakano became starry-eyed. Does he remember already? Don't tell me that little megalomaniac made him regain his memory. Sakano said, “I work for the PRESIDENT?! I wonder if I've met any politicians...” K fell over anime style. “Japan doesn't even have a president you idiot!” he yelled. “I'm talking about the president of NG Studios.”
Sakano looked slightly disappointed, but instantly brightened at the word “studio.” “Studio? I've always wanted to meet Matsushima Nanako! (A/N: She was the star of the Japanese version of The Ring)
K slapped his forehead. “NOT A FILM STUDIO!” He caught his breath. “NG is a music studio. You work for the president, but your more important job is as producer for the band Bad Luck.”
Sakano raised an eyebrow. “Isn't the name in itself just asking for trouble?” K laughed. “They've definitely had their share of bad luck, but I think their unlucky streak is turning around. Thanks to you and me, their sales have topped that of Nittle Grasper. By the way, my name is K. Just plain K.”
The younger man smirked. “Well, that's a stupid name. The other band I mean,” he added at K's glare. “Who're they?” Once again, K had to gape at the man in the bed. He can't even remember Seguchi-san. No wonder he has no memory; without him the poor guy has no identity. K recovered and said flippantly, “Oh, they're old legends that decided to regroup. You know, the kind that doesn't know when to stay retired. A bad idea, since now they have Bad Luck to deal with.”
Sakano smiled. “Then I've got to get better, so we can keep giving them hell.”
K smiled back. “True. I guess that I should call the nurse. They think you had a concussion.” Sakano frowned again. “Does this have to do with the window?”
The nurse came in, called in the doctor, and commented as the examination concluded, “You must have a rock-hard head sir!” Sakano blushed lightly. As K came back in, he said, “What was that?” “Huh?” was his response. The older man sighed, “The Sakano I know,” he crossed his fingers behind his back, “would not just let a pretty girl like that get away. He'd get her number, and quickly. Unless you were incontinent. Now that's just nasty.” Sakano sweatdropped. “The point is, you're a badass, topped only by me. You like stuff like guns and rock and roll and guitars and chicks in leather pants and stuff like that.”
“Really?” Sakano looked surprised.
K smiled. “Of course. And you like to go get wasted after work with me and pick up chicks.”
The doctor came in. “Mr. Sakano, since it looks like there are no injuries, I'll release you tomorrow. You're a very lucky man. Most would have died after falling out of a window that high.”
Sakano turned to his companion with a suspicious glare. “I remember you telling me that I jumped.” K laughed nervously. “I'll pick you up tomorrow and we'll go to work, so maybe there you can…remember.” Absolutely nothing.