Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Blank Slate ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Summary: Rated T for minor cursing, a possible concussion and a few mentions of suicide. “A person is so much easier to control when they're a blank slate.” -Naraku from the English dub of Inuyasha.
 
He was waiting. I guess I wake up early a lot. He'd woken up at 6 am and had been unable to get back to sleep, so he watched the news and the last of the cheesy infomercials for another exercise machine that probably didn't work until 8:00, when the doctor came in with his release forms. Sakano had smiled and said that he'd rather wait for his friend to come before he signed, so he could just leave. So he'd taken a shower and chanced taking his clothes out of the take-home bag, but crinkled his nose at the innumerable wrinkles in the suit. And this is a nice suit, meaning…He checked the tag. Yep, dry clean. He sighed. After another three hours, his ride finally showed up, new suit in hand. Not on a hanger.
K panted, “I hope you don't care what color boxers I got.” Sakano rolled his eyes. “You're this late for that? And my suit's not on the hanger.” K quirked an eyebrow. “I'm late? I didn't realize you were so eager to get to work.” A little of the old personality coming out, K thought. No matter. I'll just have to beat it out of him.
The producer cringed. There was that manic grin again. “K-san?”
“What?”
“Can I have my clothes now?”
“Oh. Here you go. Call me when you're done. I'll get your release forms.”
In record time, the two were speeding down the highway, Sakano nervously checking the mirrors for cops. K offered, “Pick a station. Any station.” The younger man changed the stations until he got to a classical station. As he leaned back, a sudden “No!” made him jump. “Remember, the rock and roll and chicks in leather pants?”
“Barely. Tell me about Bad Luck.”
“Bad Luck is something of a boy band,” K began as he changed the radio to a rock station and turned up the volume. “Not our style, but it's a living. There are three members. Shuichi Shindou is 19, the lead singer, and a real pain in the ass. Since he's with a guy who can be a real jerk sometimes, he'll push your patience. He also is a total idiot at times. Sometimes he'll go right up to the date of a performance without having written the lyrics to a song he's singing, but he always manages to do something amazing. Hiroshi Nakano is also 19, but a much harder worker, and the guitarist. He pretty much watches over Shindou-san, and makes sure he stays out of most trouble. Suguru Fujisaki is 16, the keyboardist, and very grumpy, like an old fart.” Sakano laughed. “He's very impatient, very ambitious, and not very tolerant of what he sees as wastes of time, which is a lot. He's talented enough to keep, though.”
Sakano let the information sink in. “What about Nittle Grasper?”
“Nittle Grasper is a legend. They held Japan in an iron fist until about four years ago, when they split, and this studio was founded. They regrouped last year and are providing pretty good competition for Bad Luck. They also have three members. Ryuichi Sakuma is a gifted singer, but acts much younger than his true age. Tohma Seguchi is a keyboardist and their producer. He's rather ruthless, and he's really good at what he does. Worthy opposition. Noriko Ukai is another keyboardist. She keeps an eye on Ryuichi. She's really loud and brash.”
Hmm…Seguchi… Sakano thought of ways to use this information to his advantage against this rival producer. “Is there anything else I should know?”
K thought a moment. Well… “I'll be taking you home tonight, and you can take your car tomorrow. Oh, and don't let anyone know you lost your memory. It might endanger your job. The president might not take that well.”
“Ok.” A moment of silence. “K-san, you never told me about the president.”
K cut him off. “Don't worry about that. You probably won't even see him today.”
“If you say so.”
 
Sakano sat down with a cup of coffee. The band was pretty good, by pop standards. However, not fifteen minutes and Fujisaki-kun was ready to kill Shindou-san for some reason. Five minutes later, he couldn't take it. “Shut up and get to work!” The studio quieted. Shuichi stared at Hiro. He whispered his answer, “K did say that Sakano-san's personality had been affected. I suggest that you end the argument. Now.”
The words had just left his lips when the wall imploded under the force of a red Porsche. When its driver left the vehicle, the producer could only stare in amazement. Tall, long brown hair, a body to die for, and…leather pants. “You like…chicks in leather pants…” This woman was hot. It's like she stepped out of his dreams.
Of course, Mika Seguchi paid no attention to the petrified boys and the staring man with them. She was looking for Tohma. After scanning the room, she silently headed for the stairs.
It was all Sakano could do not to drool as she walked away. He looked over the room, just now noticing that the manager was mysteriously missing. He hesitated a moment before deciding, they'll be fine for a few minutes unsupervised. And with that he headed for the stairs himself.
Mika looked annoyed. Her husband wasn't in his office either. Now she had to go down each floor and listen for music. She sighed and turned to leave…only to almost run straight into Sakano. She blinked, confused. Hadn't he been in the basement? A smirk graced his face, and he simply said, “How you doin'?”
She simply raised an eyebrow. “Sakano-san, I need to get around you.”
“Leaving so soon? I never even got your name, let alone your number.”
Her eyes widened. “You ought to know better than anyone,” she held up her hand, prominently displaying her wedding ring, “I'm married. Do you know where my husband is?” Sakano shrugged, still smirking. “I don't know or particularly care where he is. And your husband? He doesn't need to know.” One tap, two taps, three taps on the shoulder. Sakano turned around to face…a female? But females normally didn't have hair that short. Well, this person looked rather angry, whoever they were. And was wearing some God-awful combination of green and purple. He resisted the urge to grimace in this person's face.
“Excuse me Sakano-san,” the soft voice laced with malice said, “but my wife and I have some business to discuss.” Okay, not a female. But if that's a male…God, he looks gay. On the other hand, Mika looked rather relieved. “There you are, Tohma.” The two walked off in the direction he had come. Sakano was not happy. Damn. So that's Seguchi…K should've mentioned he had a wife.
Tohma Seguchi turned to his wife, a placid expression on his face. “Mika, was Sakano-san actually hitting on you?” She chuckled. “Yes, I believe that he was.” He replied, “Interesting.” His thoughts had a different bent. Someone may be getting fired today…
Around a corner, a tall blonde was doubled over laughing.