Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting Inspiration ❯ Pillow Talk ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fleeting Inspiration
by Anna Sartin

. . .

Chapter Twenty-Seven: Pillow Talk

.

Shuichi opened his eyes and yawned, feeling oddly content as he stretched out. He loved the smell of clean sheets on a bed. Wait... sheets? He blinked and took in his surroundings. I'm home?

How had he gotten from his parents' living room to Yuki's bedroom? He sat up slowly, confused. For a few seconds he wondered if visiting his parents' house had been nothing but a dream, until he noticed that he still had flour on his shirt from baking cookies with his sister. Then how did I get here? Did Yuki...?

Little hearts floated over his head as he squealed, "Yuki carried me home!!!!"

He hopped out of bed, prepared to go find his lover and tackle him. A sharp pain shot through his ankle as soon as his foot hit the floor, reminding him why there was a pair of crutches leaning against the nightstand.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"

. . .

"Well, so much for the candlelit dinner on the balcony."

"I'm sorry, Yuki... I can still get up and-"

"No!" Eiri said quickly, handing Shuichi the tray of food he was holding. "Just stay still and eat your dinner."

"I'm sorry I ruined your surprise."

It was Tohma's idea, anyway... Eiri thought as he sat down on the bed next to him. I would have come up with something more original. He pulled his legs up and laid down. "Just don't try to jump out of bed again, idiot. You scared the hell out of me."

"I'm sorry, Yuki."

"Seguchi was holding a plate of food when you yelled and now I've got to figure out how to get spaghetti sauce off the ceiling."

"I'm sorry, Yu-"

"And quit apologizing!"

Shuichi's mouth snapped shut.

Eiri took a deep breath and closed his eyes. When he and Tohma had first run into the room both feared that Shuichi had broken his twisted ankle. His stomach was still aching from the stress. He's going to be the death of me yet!

"Don't you want to eat?" Shuichi asked, pointing to the spaghetti.

"I'm not hungry."

"You should really eat something, Yuki. You look like you're losing weight."

"Tomorrow, okay? We can have dinner at that buffet you like so much."

"Promise?"

Eiri responded with a grunt and then, to change the subject, asked, "So did you have a good time with your family?"

"Yes! Mom and I had lunch together and it made me realize that I hadn't had her cooking in SO long! It was really good to have Mom's home cooking, you know? Then we talked for like two hours- actually we mostly talked about you- and when Maiko came home from school we baked cookies together and I accidentally set the stove on fire- not that Mom minded or anything because she said she was so happy to have me home- so my batch got ruined and Maiko gave me half of her cookies instead. I really missed my sister but I didn't realize it until she was actually in front of me and I thought "man, it's been forever since I heard her voice!" because we send e-mails back and forth instead of using the phone. I didn't get to see Dad at all because he had to work late and that made me a little sad so Mom suggested that I bring you over sometime to have dinner with the family. You wouldn't mind, would you? I mean, my family's really nice even though Mom's a little crazy and Maiko's kind of obsessed with you but I'm sure I could make her behave and-"

"Are you going to eat that food or are you going to let it get cold?" Eiri asked, hoping to shut him up. He'd never met anyone who could ramble on the way Shuichi did.

"Huh? Oh, sorry..." He shoved a forkful of spaghetti into his mouth and continued to ramble on for another twenty minutes or so until he noticed his partner was falling asleep.

"Yuki!!!"

"Huh? What?"

"Don't fall asleep!"

"You make me tired."

"So what did you do while I was gone?"

"Buy beer, clean the place and paint the study."

"You repainted your study? What color?"

"Purple with yellow polka dots."

"You did not!"

Eiri grinned. "What makes you so sure?"

"Did you really??? I wanna go see!" He was about to hop off the bed again, fortunately Eiri grabbed him just before his foot hit the ground.

"You idiot! Didn't you learn anything from what happened half an hour ago?! God, I swear you must be defective!!"

"But I wanna see your-"

"It's WHITE, you moron!"

"But you said-"

"I lied, stupid! I painted the room white!"

"Wasn't your study already white?" Shuichi asked, settling back down as Eiri took the serving tray and empty dishes and set them on the floor.

"And your point is?"

Shuichi decided to let it drop. "Well, at least that explains why Seguchi-san's apron looks like a snowman threw up on it!"

"You should see my shirt."

"Which shirt?

"The one I was wearing this morning, stupid!"

"You mean the blue one Seguchi-san gave you for Christmas last year?"

"Yes."

"Why didn't you change into some old clothes before you started? Everyone knows you don't wear your good clothes to paint in!"

"Guess I've been hanging around you for too long. You must have infected me with stupid."

Shuichi laughed. "Infected you with stupid? You sound like Tatsuha."

Eiri groaned and covered his face with his arms. That was the last thing he needed to hear.

"But now that I think about it, I bet you two used to have all kinds of fun imitating each other when you were kids!"

"Now why would we do a stupid thing like that?" the author asked, although in truth his lover's assumption was correct. During their "revenge game" he and his brother had both made use of their uncanny likeness to one another. Tatsuha called all SEVEN of his brother's girlfriends pretending to be him and dumped them, and in retaliation Eiri called their next-door neighbor's extremely unattractive 13-year old daughter and (as Tatsuha) asked her to marry him. After that the girl followed the younger Uesugi brother around like a lovesick puppy for nearly a year and Tatsuha barely escaped having a marriage arrangement hammered out by their families. Eiri laughed as he remembered the horrified expression on his brother's face when their father first suggested it.

"What's so funny?" Shuichi asked, laying down next to him.

"Nothing."

The singer smiled faintly. "I like your laugh."

"What?"

"I like to hear you laugh."

The author fought back a smile. "Why?"

"I don't know... I guess it's 'cause I love the sound of your voice. Besides, you don't do it often so I love it when you do!" He flashed his lover a brilliant smile and kissed him on the cheek.

"Whatever. I'm going to sleep."

"Will you drop me off at N-G tomorrow?"

"What for? The doctor said you can't sing for three weeks, so what's the point in going there?"

"Fujisaki wants me to hear an arrangement and I still need to finish the lyrics for my last song. I promised K that I would get it done by the first of the month if he let me go on vacation and I'm already three days late. I don't want him to think I'm a slacker!"

Eiri opened his eyes. "You just don't want him to drag you out of here and shoot you in the morning."

Shuichi grinned sheepishly. "That too."

"Fine. Go to sleep.

. . .

Sometime later Tohma entered the bedroom to announce that he'd finally managed to get the spaghetti sauce off the ceiling and met with a cute sight. Eiri and Shuichi were cuddling together in their sleep. Shuichi was clutching the blond possessively and Eiri was drooling slightly. Tohma grinned and closed the door, before heading home to his wife.

.

~End chapter twenty-seven~