Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting Inspiration ❯ I Should Have Stayed In Bed ( Chapter 37 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fleeting Inspiration
by Anna Sartin

. . .

Chapter Thirty-seven: I Should Have Stayed In Bed...

.

Mr. Fuzzy watched with interest from his place on the coffee table as the human in front of him laughed manically, hugging a rectangular metal object in his arms. He didn't know why the pink-haired creature was making so much noise but he figured biting him a few times would probably get him to shut up. He found a toe suitable for this purpose and leapt into action.

"OUCH! Stop it, Kitty!"

Shuichi quickly moved his feet away from the kitten and resumed hugging the camera in his arms. He was eager to finish up the roll of film in it so he could get it developed. He'd gotten a great shot yesterday of Lola Eto being arrested in her stupid sailor school girl costume (complete with gray rat hat and orange cat purse) and he couldn't
wait to see how it turned out! Several children had witnessed the incident, including a little girl who'd spent the whole time pointing and yelling "Look! Look! Tohru Honda is getting arrested!" Every time he remembered the look on Lola's face when she realized he'd captured her "shining moment" on film he burst out laughing.

Even better was the fact that when the chaos died down after Lola's removal the whole incident was forgotten, and by the time the nurse had finished tending to his ankle security had forgotten about throwing him out. He bought seven more books, three CDs, a poster and a pair of cat ears from a LOVELESS booth. (He was currently wearing the cat ears) Yuki had also bought a few things and they both won prizes in the costume contest. Shuichi had grabbed a random person to take their picture together with his camera. All in all, it had been a great day. Now he just needed to finish off this roll of film so he could get the pictures developed.

"Smile!" he told Mr. Fuzzy as he took the kitten's picture. Mr. Fuzzy blinked and shook his head.

"SHUICHI!!!" Eiri's roaring voice echoed through the apartment.

"What is it?" Shuichi asked, setting the camera down on the table and following the sound of his lover's voice. Wonder what's got HIM so riled up this early in the morning? He poked his head into the bathroom. "Did we run out of toilet paper again?"

"YOU SAID IT WOULD WASH OUT!!!"

"What?" he asked, hobbling in on his crutches. Eiri was standing in front of the bathroom mirror with a very small towel wrapped around his waist and the singer's dirty mind was already hard at work imagining ways to get it off. He'd LOVE to use the rest of his film on his boyfriend right now. I could take a picture of him with the towel on and another one after I got it off...

"The DYE, you moron! Just LOOK at my hair!!!"

"What's wrong with it?" the younger man asked, not bothering to actually look up as blood dribbled down his nose. He'd love to slip his hands inside the towel and-

"It's STILL BROWN!!!"

Shuichi shook his head and looked up, finally snapping out of it. "No, it's not. It's more like a... dirty blond now."

"IT'S NOT THE COLOR IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE!!!"

"Just wash it again," the younger man advised nonchalantly. "I had to wash mine four times last night to get rid of it all."

Eiri groaned and stepped back into the shower. This is the last time I let him talk me into doing something stupid!

"I could help you," Shuichi offered, grinning suggestively as his boyfriend removed the towel.

"Out," the author ordered, pointing to door. He wasn't about to reward the little fool for causing him such aggravation!

"Awww..."

"OUT!"

. . .

It took Eiri almost an hour of washing to get his hair back to normal, and by that time his stomach was loudly protesting it's state of emptiness. He hadn't had breakfast yet and he'd skipped dinner last night and he was starting to feel sick. He strolled into the kitchen a short time after, now fully clothed, in search of something quick and easy to make. Shuichi was sitting at the table nibbling on a piece of burnt toast, still pouting over having his chances of a morning quickie thwarted by a measly bottle of hair dye.

"Do we have any frozen waffles left?" the author asked, heading for the fridge. Shuichi just stared blankly into space. "Shuichi!"

"Huh?"

"Did you hear me?"

"What?"

"WAFFLES!"

"What about them?

"Do we HAVE ANY?" Eiri asked again, quickly losing his patience.

"The kind that you put in the toaster?"

"No, the kind that instantly cook themselves when you open the box!"

"You don't have to be sarcastic. I think they're still some in the freezer."

Eiri grumbled something under his breath and opened the freezer door.

And wished that he hadn't.

As the door opened a landslide of pencils spilled out and covered his bare feet. "What the HELL? SHUICHI!!!"

"What?"

"WHY IS MY FREEZER FILLED WITH PENCILS?!"

"I'm waiting for them to explode."

Eiri stared at his pink-haired lover. And stared. And stared. The singer's explanation for filling their freezer with writing utensils (as well as the fact that he's done it in the first place) was just so completely bizarre that the writer was at a loss for words. Mr. Fuzzy attacked the pile of pencils, chasing them around the kitchen. Every time he lost one under the stove or refrigerator he'd go back to the pile for another.

"Let me get this straight," Eiri began finally. "You put a bunch of pencils in the freezer because you want them to explode?"

"Not the pencils, the erasers," Shuichi explained, coming over to examine them. "Hiro says you can make an eraser explode by putting it in the freezer."

"Hiro's an idiot."

"No, he's really smart! He knows all kinds of weird stuff."

Eiri pushed the rest of the pencils out of the freezer and began searching for the waffles. "Clean up that mess... and don't put them back in the freezer!"

"None of the erasers exploded..." Shuichi said, sounding disappointed. "Hiro, you liar!"

Eiri just shook his head. In the old days- before the rambunctious singer had come into his life- he probably would have thought that if anyone was as stupid as that one had better get away from him, the quicker the better. Nowadays he just prayed that his lover's idiocy wasn't catching. He silently offered a prayer to Buddha, asking for strength, peace of mind and (if it wasn't too much trouble) a box of waffles would also be appreciated.

"I don't see the waffles," he announced, after a thorough search. Maybe Buddha was punishing him for that time he'd "role-played" with Shuichi in his monk's robes.

"Maybe Tatsuha ate them. He was up really early this morning."

"Where is he?" Eiri asked, shutting the door.

"At the convention. When he saw the books we bought yesterday he said he wanted to go today and buy some for himself. He was gone before I got up this morning."

Eiri suddenly spied the bag of shortcakes sitting on the counter. Perfect. He'd forgotten he still had a whole bag left. They might not be as fresh as they'd been when he first bought them on Friday but they would certainly solve his hunger problem. He grabbed the bag, but before he could indulge his rumbling stomach the phone rang.

"WHAT?" he yelled into the receiver, ready to throttle the person on the other end for coming between him and his breakfast.

"Is this the residence Uesugi Eiri-san?"

"That depends. Do I want to talk to you?"

Shuichi giggled as he crawled around the kitchen gathering the pencils Mr. Fuzzy was batting around. Eiri was prone to rudeness when he didn't want to be bothered. The irritable writer was especially saucy to telemarketers and people asking for donations. He used to try to throw them off by telling them they'd dialed the city morgue, but he stopped doing that after the couple started getting strange calls in the middle of the night asking if they made pickups after midnight.

"What's he done now?" Eiri asked whoever was on the other end of the line. "Fine, put him on."

A few seconds later Shuichi could here Tatsuha's voice on the other end, but he couldn't make out what the younger Uesugi brother was saying. "What did you do?!" Eiri asked his brother in an accusing tone.

Mr. Fuzzy was sitting on the last pencil Shuichi needed to retrieve and the kitten didn't look like he was about to give it up without a fight, so the boy (wisely) decided to leave him to it. "Yuki, can you help me get up?"

"Indecent exposure?" Eiri asked, not hearing Shuichi's request for assistance. "What the hell?"

"What's going on, Yuki?" Shuichi asked, trying to stand up on his own. Trying to keep himself steady on one leg with his arms full of pencils proved to be quite difficult and when his socked foot slid against the floor's smooth surface he fell backwards, sending the pencils flying every which way. Eiri turned around to see what had happened.

"I don't care if you're a minor!" the blond yelled into the phone. "You're not my responsibility! You got yourself into this mess and you can get yourself out of it!" With that he slammed the phone down and huffed indignantly.

"Yuki?"

"Did you hurt yourself?" Eiri asked, picking his lover up and surveying the mess all over the kitchen floor.

"No, I'm alright. Sorry. I'll get them cleaned u-"

"Don't worry about it," the author responded, setting the boy down in a chair. "I'll pick them up."

"That was Tatsuha on the phone, right?" Shuichi asked, resting his head on the kitchen table. "What did he do, Yuki?"

"He's being "detained" by security for walking around the convention in his underwear. They're refusing to let him go until an adult comes to pick him up."

"You aren't going to leave him there, are you?" Shuichi asked.

"The hell I'm not. Mika can deal with him."

"But he's got your car."

"What do you mean 'he's got my car'?" Eiri asked, his eyes narrowing dangerously.

"How do you think he got to the convention?" Shuichi reasoned. " And if nobody comes to get him they might call the police instead. Won't your car get towed away?"

Eiri closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, trying to avert the headache he knew was coming. He did NOT want to make another trip to the impound lot. His stomach growled again and he grabbed the bag of shortcakes as he headed out the door grumbling, "I should have stayed in bed..."

.

~End chapter thirty-seven~