Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Fleeting Inspiration ❯ Breakfast Conversation ( Chapter 41 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Fleeting Inspiration
by Anna Sartin

. . .

Chapter 41: Breakfast Conversation

.

"Are monks really holy?" Shuichi asked over breakfast the next morning.

"What do you mean?" Eiri asked.

"Are you guys all... you know, enlightened?"

"I don't feel very enlightened, if that's what you mean," Eiri responded as he forced himself to take another bite of the buttered toast his sister had shoved in front of him and commanded he eat. Nicotine deprived is more like it...

Fuck the toast, what he needed was a cigarette. Shuichi had hidden them and he'd spend most of the morning looking for them, to no avail.

At least there's still the pack in my glove compartment...

"What about you, Tatsuha?" Shuichi asked.

The raven-haired monk grinned lustfully. "The closest I ever came to having a "religious experience" was on Ryuichi's birthday, when he and I first-"

Mika actually kicked him underneath the table. "Tatsuha!"

"What?" he asked, stuffing his food into his mouth.

"I don't think either of my brothers are good examples of a typical monk, Shindo-san," she sighed. "I weep for the future of our family temple." Both Uesugi brothers rolled their eyes.

"Why the sudden interest in religion?" Eiri asked his lover.

"Well, Tatsuha and I were watching a movie about Buddha on TV last night and I was thinking about that monk who took your cel phone while we were on vacation. I wonder if he was enlightened?"

"I seriously doubt it."

"But monks are supposed to be enlightened, right?" Shuichi asked.

"I think the purpose of being a monk is to seek enlightenment. Not everybody finds it."

"The purpose of becoming a monk is to end suffering," Tatsuha corrected his brother.

"And how would you know?" Eiri retorted. "You cause more suffering than you end!"

"And you don't?"

"Will you two shut up and let the rest of us eat in peace!" Mika snapped, not in the mood to listen to an early-morning argument. Her brothers both fell silent, not in the mood for an early-morning lecture.

"Can Christians achieve enlightenment?" the singer asked, remembering the homeless woman on 4th street. He wondered how the mentally unstable foreigner had wound up homeless in Tokyo. Maybe she was on a religious pilgrimage?

"Christians aren't enlightened, they're "saved"."

"Saved from what?" Shuichi and Tatsuha both asked at the same time.

"Who knows?" he answered, pouring himself his fifth cup of coffee since waking up. Since he couldn't have any alcohol or nicotine until he was well, he figured caffeine would have to get him through life until then.

"Actually, if they're anything like that woman on 4th Street, they're nuts," Tatsuha declared, taking a bite out of his toast.

"She might be enlightened, though!" Shuichi said. "She says she can hear the voice of God!"

"She thinks 'God' is a lawn chair," Tatsuha pointed out. "I wouldn't call someone who talks to chairs enlightened."

"Is there a reason we're having this conversation?" Eiri wanted to know.

Shuichi laughed. "I don't know. It's kind of nice having a conversation over breakfast though, isn't it?"

Eiri grunted.

"What time is your meeting this morning?" Mika asked, changing the subject. Tohma was going to be there and he was supposed to come home afterwards. Ryuichi and Noriko were coming back later in the afternoon.

"Ten o'clock."

"Is my honey gonna be there?" Tatsuha asked eagerly.

"For the last time, NO!" Eiri shouted.

"Tohma told me something interesting yesterday," Mika said. She'd spent over an hour on the phone with her husband last night, which gave the rest of household a break from her nagging. "He told me you got an offer to read one of your books aloud for an audio book."

"It's all part of the movie deal," Eiri explained. "It'll be a tie-in with the movie when it comes out."

"So it's the same book that's being made into a movie?" Tatsuha asked. Eiri nodded. "Then Ryuichi should be the one to read it!" he declared. "He's the star, after all! You're just the author."

Eiri rose from the table, annoyed and wounded by his brother's statement. He'd worked damn hard over the years to achieve all that he had. What had that little shit accomplished in that time? Nothing! What right did he have to speak of his accomplishments with such disrespect? He turned to leave, but Shuichi grabbed his sleeve before he could go.

"Yuki, please eat more."

"I'm not hungry."

"Please? You've only taken six bites!"

"You counted?" Eiri asked. The thought of someone paying THAT much attention to what he ate was sort of... creepy. He wondered if there was any aspect of his life that Shuichi didn't take detailed mental notes on. He probably knows how many eyelashes I have... the author thought as he sat back down and took a seventh bite out of his toast.

Tatsuha smirked, preparing to make a comment about his brother being whipped, until Mika guessed his mind and kicked him under the table again. What is she, psychic? he wondered.

The phone rang and Eiri tried again to escape the table. "I'll get it, Yuki," his lover told him. "You eat, okay?"

"At least Shindo-san is good for something," Mika remarked, when the boy had left the room.

"I want you to stop berating Shuichi," Eiri told his sister. Pregnant or not, he was tired of listening to her. He was starting to wish that he was deaf, or that his siblings were mute. Either way.

"I haven't said anything to him," Mika responded.

"We both heard you yelling at Tatsuha last night and you weren't exactly quiet while you were on the phone with Seguchi, either. He hears you and it hurts him. For whatever crazy reason he likes you and he cares about what you think of him."

"I didn't realize," she responded, looking genuinely apologetic as her eyes fell upon Shuichi's empty seat.

"It's been over a year, Mika," Eiri said. "Almost two. Do you honestly still believe that he's going to hurt me?"

Mika was silent for a moment. "No," she answered finally.

"Then leave it be."

"I only worry because I care about you, Eiri."

"If he gets hurt as a result of your meddling I won't forgive you," Eiri warned, throwing his half-eaten toast in the trash while Shuichi wasn't in the room to scold him.

"YUKI!" Shuichi yelled, running into the room with the phone in his hand. "Guess what?"

The blond just stared at his hyper lover, waiting for him to continue.

"Yoshi is coming into town on Friday and needs a place to stay. Can he stay with us, Yuki? Please?"

Eiri blinked. Yoshi Eto? Why in the world...? He didn't particularly mind, and he knew he and Shuichi were both indebted to the young man for all his help while they were in Osaka. Still, he was beginning to wonder if he and Shuichi were ever going to have their home to themselves again. Riku was currently in America visiting his "Aunt" Yoshiki, but he had no doubt the kid would be back before he knew it, turning the house upside down and monopolizing his time with Shuichi.

"Who's Yoshi Eto?" Tatsuha asked, before Eiri could say anything.

"This nice guy we met on vacation. He let us stay at his place when Yuki's car got impound!"

"Your car was impounded?" Mika asked her brother.

Eiri ignored her and nodded his assent to Shuichi, who told Yoshi that they'd be more than happy to have him visit for a few days.

"Wait a minute... is he the "replacement for Tatsuha" you were talking about?" Mika asked Eiri when Shuichi went to go hang up the phone.

"Replacement for me?" Tatsuha asked, confused. He looked to his brother for clarification.

Eiri groaned and left the room. His siblings followed. He couldn't believe Mika still thought that he and Shuichi had picked up a hooker while they were out of town.

"Eiri, answer me! Eiri!"

"Aniki, wait up!"

Shuichi almost laughed as he watched his boyfriend slip his bare feet into his shoes, grab his coat and disappear out the front door before his siblings could ask anymore questions.

"Guess he'd rather go to his meeting two hours early with no socks than talk to us," Tatsuha said to his sister.

Mika turned around and zeroed in on Shuichi, who sweatdropped nervously and backed against the wall. "Shindo-san, I want answers!"

.

End chapter forty-one