Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Precious Moments ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*~*~*

Chapter 6.

"Good Afternoon Everyone. We would like to inform you that our plane will be landing at JFK International Airport at New York in a short time. Please put your seats in an upright position. Make sure that the trays are locked securely. We thank you for traveling with us and we hope you had a pleasant flight."

The overly, sugar-coated voice repeated the same thing once again in Japanese. A young man with dark, midnight black hair sat up straight and stretched out his limbs over his head. He then looked down at his companion. A bright pink-haired head was perched on his shoulder, and the owner was snorting and drooling in his sleep.

Tatsuha Uesugi gave his shoulder a firm shake. It went unnoticed. Shuichi Shindou gave a loud snore and snuggled deeply in his friend's shoulders. Tatsuha looked towards the ceiling as if asking 'why me, oh Lord?'

He grabbed the near comatose boy by his shoulders and gave a firm shake. Shuichi still showed no signs of waking up.

"Bah!"

With a frustrated sigh, Tatsuha pushed Shuichi away. He must have pushed too hard because Shuichi fell back on the seat and his head collided with the solid window with a loud clunk.

The contact brought Shuichi out of his nap. With one hand he rubbed his head, and with the other he stifled a yawn. He then looked towards his annoyed friend.

"Gah Tatsuha. Why the hell did you wake me up? I was having a wonderful dream. This totally hot, red-headed guy was down on his knees about to ask me something. Before he could ask though, I suddenly had stars swimming in my vision. Care to explain?"

Shuichi said getting in Tatsuha's face. Tatsuha placed his hand on Shuichi's face and pushed him away.

"We're about to land soon, they want us to sit up straight." He told him. "Plus, whatever dream you were having, I'm sure you'll pick it back up next time you go to sleep."

"We're gonna land. Cool!!"

Shuichi yelled out at the top of his lungs. He then sprang out of his seat and got into a stance, with his left leg jutting forward and both his hands on his hips.

"Dating pool of New York, here comes Shuichi Shindou. You can keep your weak and weary. Bring forth your hot, drop-dead gorgeous guys for my choosing. Muahahahahaaaaa!!"

Tatsuha was slowly sliding down his seat with one hand covering his eyes, as Shuichi stood there laughing like a maniac. The passengers around them had horrified expressions on their faces, looking at the handsome young boy acting like a psychopath. Even the stewardesses were afraid to go near him, for the evil aura he was giving off and the crazed look in his eyes had really scared them to their wits end.

One petite stewardess mustered up some courage and went over. She tapped him lightly on his shoulder. Shuichi stopped mid-maniacal-laughter and glared at her. His face went huge and there were flames bursting in his eyes.

"Umm.excuse me Sir."

The stewardess, who had shrunk down to miniscule size, said in a small voice.

"You need to sit down Sir. The p.plane is going to l...land soon. You need to st...strap your seat belt on."

"What?!! Just because the plane is going to land, you want me to strap myself in this tiny pain in the ass. No I say."

The stewardess trembled in her shoes but didn't back down.

"B..but it's the rules S.Sir."

"Rules Shmules. Shuichi Shindou doesn't follow any rules. Shuichi Shindou makes rul..oomph."

Tatsuha had had enough. During Shuichi's mid-rant, he grabbed him by the back of his shirt, pulled him down and strapped him in his seat.

The stewardess along with the rest of the people, heaved a huge sigh of relief and scampered away. Tatsuha turned to glare at Shuichi.

"Settle down idiot, you're making scene."

Shuichi sighed and slumped back in his seat. For a while he gazed out the window at the endless blue ocean.

"I can't believe I am finally coming to New York."

He said to Tatsuha, who was rifling through a magazine.

"Hmm, yeah isn't it great? I always wanted you to come with me during summer holidays, but well you know."

Tatsuha shrugged his shoulders.

For the past few years, Shuichi had to take summer school for the classes he flunked. Surprisingly, this year he had passed everything and with good marks too. To reward him, Mr. Uesugi had sent them both to New York to enjoy their summer there.

Shuichi scowled at him.

"Yeah yeah, I know. Don't remind me."

Tatsuha gave him a lop-sided smirk.

"So, do you think you might have the chance to find your one and only there? Since your search has gone unsuccessful in Japan."

Shuichi gave him a smirk of his own.

"Who knows? The chances are very highly likely though. I mean New York has so much more of a chance of having a homosexual community there, doesn't it?"

Tatsuha shrugged his shoulders in reply.

"Plus you know what?" Shuichi continued. "New York also has a lot more different flavors, if you know what I mean." He wiggled his eyebrows up and down at him. Tatsuha shoved him with his shoulder.

"Perv."

They both settled back down as the plane made its steady descent on New York soil.

*~*~*

Ever since Shuichi had hit puberty, he had known that opposite sex held no attraction for him whatsoever. All through his social life, he had tried and tried to find his one true love. No one had ever understood his strange obsession over finding his soul mate, and Shuichi had never explained. Not even Tatsuha, his best friend in the whole wide world, knew why Shuichi was so fixated on finding the one he could spend his life with.

It wasn't as though his dating life was completely empty. He'd had his shares of dates and good times. Not the kind that lasted for long though. Some of his relationships lasted only a couple of dates. And some of them never called back after the first date. Most of the times, the guys he went out with only had one goal in their minds. How to get into Shuichi's pants? That was something that Shuichi held precious to him. He had decided that he would give his virginity to only the person he would spend his life with. So far, he hadn't encountered that person. Maybe his luck would win out in New York.

*~*~*

The plane had finally touched the ground. After standing in line for a long time, waiting for the legalities to be over, they finally made their way over to the exit.

Both Shuichi and Tatsuha heaved huge sighs of relief. It had been a long journey and they were both only too happy to stretch out their sore muscles. Pushing their luggage cart in front of them they stepped out into the arrival section of the airport.

Shuichi's eyes widened as he took in the first sight New York had to offer. The humongous airport was truly a sight to behold. The high walls, the circular ceiling, the snack bars, and all different kinds of people awaiting their loved ones holding flowers and balloons. Shuichi observed all this gleefully while Tatsuha kept twisting his head this way and that searching for a figure.

"Oh My God!" Shuichi yelled out in Tatsuha's ears. "Check out that kick- ass store over there. Oh man that's totally cool."

Tatsuha rubbed a finger in his ear and looked where Shuichi was pointing. He rolled his eyes.

"That's a gift shop you dolt." (1)

Shuichi clamed down somewhat. By now, they had made it out of the large queue of people and were now standing aside.

Shuichi kept turning his head around, now observing people. He saw a woman, wearing a long dress which seemed to rolled around her lower body, and a sash of the same cloth was draped over her shoulders (2). The woman was chasing after what looked to be like a four year old boy. Shuichi stared in amazement at the woman and her agility. How she was able to maneuver herself in that restricting outfit was beyond Shuichi's comprehension.

He was following the woman's retreat as she followed the little boy, when his eyes fell on a solitary figure. He stopped dead in his tracks. His mouth fell open and his eyes popped out of his sockets.

The man that he was looking at stood to be about 6' 2". He had incredibly beautiful blonde hair, which fell on and obscured the left side of his face. He was wearing a black t-shirt and blue jeans. Shuichi couldn't tell the color of his eyes, for the man was looking away from his direction. He was looking at the people exiting through the doors, from where Tatsuha and himself had just came out of. The man was checking his watch from time to time.

Shuichi's world had gone colorful and flowery, and lots of pink and violet hearts were floating all around him. He jolted out of his dream world when Tatsuha shoved him in his shoulder.

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

Shuichi turned his dreamy expression on him. There were two violet hearts where his eyes should've been.

"Check out that incredibly hot blonde over there."

He gestured with a nod of his head. Tatsuha rolled his eyes at him but looked anyway. He took a sigh of relief when he looked at the appointed direction.

"I don't see any hot blondes but I found Yuki. Come on, he doesn't like waiting."

Tatsuha said in a hurry and turned his cart around. Shuichi followed suit and was surprised to find that they were headed towards the said blonde who had taken Shuichi's breath away.

"Waaahhhh!!! That's Yuki?!!"

Shuichi whispered/yelled in Tatsuha's ear.

"The pictures that you always brought back don't do him any justice."

Tatsuha looked at him weirdly.

"Don't tell me. Ahh man."

He groaned out loud at the utterly love struck look on Shuichi's face. Shuichi beamed up at him.

"Hey man I can't help but like him. I mean, look at the man. He's gorgeous."

Shuichi purred while Tatsuha made a disgusted face.

"That's my brother for cryin' out loud."

Shuichi ignored him as he continued to stare at Yuki.

When they caught up to him, Tatsuha noticed a slight change in Yuki's behavior. He was standing there rooted to the spot, his posture rigid. What surprised Tatsuha the most was the fact that there was a strange look on Yuki's face and he was staring straight at Shuichi.

Shuichi, who had noticed Yuki's eyes on him, was fidgeting nervously. He would glance at Yuki and then quickly turn his head away. The constant staring was making him a bit uncomfortable. Tatsuha cleared his throat loudly.

"Uh hem. Nice to see you Aniki."

Yuki finally tore his eyes away from Shuichi and looked at his brother. His posture returned to the cool and clam demeanor that Tatsuha was used to. He gave Tatsuha one-armed hug.

When Tatsuha stepped back from the embrace, he looked over at Shuichi.

"Yuki, you remember Shuichi right?" He said to him. "Remember when you came last time and there was this tiny little brat."

"Hey!!" Shuichi cried out indignantly.

"Well, he's all grown up now." Tatsuha finished without giving Shuichi a glance. "Although he's only grown physically, I'm not really that sure about his mental maturation." He finished with a smirk.

He turned towards Shuichi, who had an "Are you done?" expression on his face.

"And Shuichi, this is my big bro Yuki."

Shuichi extended his hand.

"Hi, nice to meet you. I think I sort of remember you now." Shuichi said with a smile.

Yuki's eyes narrowed. They were the most vibrant shade of hazel Shuichi had ever seen. They appeared to be near golden, matching his hair.

"That's funny." Yuki spoke in a cold voice. "Because I don't remember you at all."

With that, he turned around and started walking away. Shuichi's hand was still hanging in the air as he stared at the spot disbelievingly, where Yuki stood. 'What just happened?'

*~*~*

The car was slipping smoothly down the road. Yuki glanced in the rear-view mirror at the excitable boy one more time. He had been doing that even since they had sat in the car. Both Shuichi and Tatsuha were seated in the back seat. One rather large suit case, which couldn't fit in the trunk, was strapped in the front seat.

Yuki still couldn't believe his eyes. His long, deeply buried memories, had surfaced all of a sudden. He had been waiting for Tatsuha to come out with the luggage. He remembered that Tatsuha had mentioned that he was bringing a friend along. When he had felt someone's eyes on him, Yuki had turned to look in that direction. He was relieved to see Tatsuha. But then, his eyes fell on the boy standing next to him. At the sight of him, Yuki's breath was caught in his throat and he was paralyzed momentarily. They first thing that popped in his head when he looked at the boy was "Sanjiro!". When they came closer, Yuki noticed that this person could never be Sanjiro. The eyes and hair were all wrong. The person in front of him had pink hair and purple eyes, instead of the red hair and green eyes that Yuki had worshipped from afar. Although the face was exactly the same. Same exact angular features, same cheekbones, and same lush mouth. Even he had been fooled for a second. Then he had remembered that Sanjiro had a son.

Now, as he was driving them over to his apartment where they'll be staying, Yuki couldn't help but keep looking back towards him. He wanted to reassure himself that it wasn't Sanjiro back from the clutches of death, but his son who had happened to take over his beautiful facial features. Shuichi and Tatsuha were chatting excitedly in the back seat. Shuichi was looking around, as Tatsuha pointed out different things to him. From time to time, laughter could be heard emerging from the back seat. Yuki cringed at the sound every time it arose, for it was the same exact way his late beloved had laughed. Even after ten years, Yuki could recall every single detail about Sanjiro vividly.

Yuki looked into the mirror again at the laughing boy. A fleeting thought slithered into his mind as he looked at Shuichi.

"You survived, where Sanjiro died."

Yuki tore his eyes away and finally concentrated on the road fully. Two whole months with the constant reminder of the one he had desperately loved. This was going to be a very interesting summer after all.

*~*~*

TBC.

1. I know that Shuichi isn't coming from a backwards little country where they have nothing exciting. I just had to put his expression as that of amazement, because that was the exact same way I had felt when I first came here. Plus, it was more to add a bit of humor that's all.

2. Did anyone catch which dress Shuichi was looking at? It's actually an Indian dress called Sari. It looks gorgeous, but is VERY hard to manage. I myself don't know how Indian women wear it on an everyday basis ^_^"