Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Surprises ❯ Vacation ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

There comes a point in every man's life where he knows he's reached an all time low. It didn't matter who the man was, how much money he had or didn't have, or what the cause was. And it could hit at any given time. When the doctor had told him that his wife had miscarried, K knew that he'd hit that all time low, and it seemed that, no matter how hard he had tried, Judy couldn't stop crying. His once proud and strong woman had been reduced to a sobbing basket case, and she'd never be the same again.
 
In a way, he'd been right. Judy hadn't been the same. As soon as she'd gotten over her crying fits (which had taken a couple of months), she immersed herself into her work. If the director hadn't known her name, he soon did. But she never took just any part. Between her manager and him, scripts were thoroughly screened. She auditioned for the occasional TV slot but began to focus primarily on movies. Movies, after all, had been her ultimate goal. As soon as one film had been shot and the premieres done, she began the next film, never taking a moment to breathe.
 
The flip side to everything, K hardly ever saw his wife. She was there in the mornings when he woke up and there when he went to bed, touching only for a hug and kiss good night. That was it. Of course, he'd been no better. He, too, had buried himself in his work, promoting as many clients at one time as he could. The loss had become too much for either of them, but they never admitted it, not to each other, not to other people. It would take a lot for them to break the cycle they'd fallen into. Little did they know what it would take . . .
 
* * *
 
“K, are you all right?”
 
K glanced up from his paperwork, his eyes slightly blurry. Before him stood his latest client, a Jeff Montgomery. Like all of his clients, Jeff had an amazing talent and had just needed a nudge in the right direction. Numbly, K nodded.
 
“Yeah, I'm fine,” he murmured.
 
“You don't look like it,” the man stated. “In fact, you look like shit . . .”
 
“Thanks for that assessment,” K chuckled wryly.
 
“I meant no offense . . .”
 
“I know,” K waved his hand dismissively. “But I'm fine. Just been really busy.”
 
“I can tell,” Jeff affirmed, sitting down across from him. “I've seen the way you've been working for me and everyone else you've signed on . . . You've got a lot of dedication, K.”
 
“Thanks . . .”
 
“Just don't work yourself into a frenzy, though,” the other man told him. “I'd hate to have you collapse from exhaustion or a heart attack on my account or anyone else's, for that matter. Our careers aren't that important for you to jeopardize your health.”
 
“I'll be all right. Nothing to worry about,” K assured him, getting to his feet. He ignored the wave of dizziness that hit him suddenly. K shook his head, picking up the papers that he needed then proceeded on his way . . .
 
* * *
 
“Claude? Come on, Claude . . . open your eyes, baby.”
 
Groaning slightly, K opened his eyes to see a frazzled-looking Judy standing next to him, her eyes burning bright with concern and unshed tears. He reached out and touched her cheek.
 
“Judy?” His voice sounded slurred.
 
“Yes,” she smiled, one hand caressing his cheek. “I'm right here, baby. I'm right here.”
 
“W-what happened?” K moved to sit up, wincing as pain shot through his right arm and his lower back. He also noted that something had attached itself to his forehead.
 
“You were rushed to the hospital,” she explained. “Jeff had to call 9-1-1 . . . he said you collapsed and hit your head.”
 
“Me? Collapse?”
 
“Yeah,” Judy nodded. “The doctor said it was from stress and exhaustion . . . he's giving the order for you to take some time off from work.”
 
“I can't . . .” he began when she pressed a finger against his lips.
 
“Listen to me, baby, and listen to me good. You made sure I listened to the doctor when I was pregnant. You had me stop smoking, and avoid stress and alcohol. You took care of me when I needed you the most. Now it's my turn. You're taking the time off from work to rest and recuperate, whether you like it or not. Your clients will understand.”
 
“Judy . . .”
 
“Also, no caffeine and no smoking for at least a week. Not until your stress levels come down. And don't worry about not having anything to do while you're off,” she smiled. “I'm taking some time off, too . . . so you won't be alone.”
 
“I'd like that,” K smiled back. “I'd like that a lot.”
 
“I figured you might . . . so I've made arrangements for us to go to Hawaii once you're out of here.”
 
“Hawaii?” he echoed.
 
“Yeah . . . Hawaii,” Judy affirmed, leaning closer to him. “It'll be a second honeymoon.” She then kissed him. “I hope you don't mind.”
 
“Not if I'm going to be with you.”