Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Surprises ❯ The Burden of a Saddened Heart ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

K typed a few things into his laptop then smiled. Things were right on schedule. With a happy sigh, he saved his files then shut the laptop down, sliding it underneath the nightstand. Next to him slept his now five-month pregnant wife. He wrapped his arms around her waist, nuzzling her neck and feeling like he'd died and gone to heaven.
 
The news that Judy was pregnant had been quite a shock. K caught himself starting to ask, “How did that happen?” when he immediately shook his head. He knew how it had happened. He and Judy had had sex. When they had learned the news, he insisted that Judy stop smoking, for the baby's sake. She hadn't been happy about it but, when he stopped smoking around her, she had grudgingly complied. For the baby's sake, she had agreed.
 
Dan, once he'd been informed of the situation, had nearly hit the roof and called it a tragedy. He'd started to make a comment about her having to have an abortion, so she could continue working on the film, when she slapped him. Hard. It saved K the trouble of having to do it himself, and he was thankful once again that his wife wasn't some pushover actress. She'd told Dan right then and there that the pregnancy would not interfere with the filming, and she'd been right, of course. Judy finished the film with no problems. Once the film had been completed, she quickly replaced Dan. Said she didn't need someone who wanted to manage her life on every level.
 
During that time, they started to educate themselves on what to expect throughout her pregnancy and after the baby had been born. They bought book after book, visited website after website, and started talking with other celebrities who had become parents. At one suggestion, K had started keeping a diary of everything. Every doctor's appointment, every little pound gained, every ultra sound . . . everything. To the both of them, it was an exciting time.
 
“Good night, baby,” he whispered, settling in next to her. He closed his eyes and slowly drifted to sleep.
 
* * *
 
K jerked awake. He thought he'd heard crying but he couldn't be quite sure. Then he noticed that he was alone. The crying continued. Alarmed, he got up and followed the sound to the bathroom.
 
On the floor, next to the toilet, sat Judy. There was blood on the floor.
 
“Judy!”
 
Immediately, he was at her side and scooping her up.
 
“It hurts, Claude,” she whimpered. “It hurts so much.”
“Don't worry, baby,” he soothed. “I'll get you to the hospital. Don't worry. I'll take care of you. I promise.”
 
Grabbing a blanket and wrapping it around her, K slipped into his shoes and picked up his keys. A chilled feeling had settled in the pit of his stomach. Something wasn't right.
 
* * *
 
“Mr. Winchester?”
 
K glanced up then got to his feet as soon as the doctor had called his name. Granted, his last name wasn't Winchester but for now, it worked.
 
“How's Judy doing? How's the baby?”
 
“Mrs. Winchester is doing fine,” the doctor murmured. “We have her resting comfortably. We'd like to keep her overnight for observation, if that's all right with you.”
 
“That's fine,” K nodded dismissively. “And the baby? How's the baby?”
 
“I'm sorry, Mr. Winchester, but your wife has had a miscarriage. There was nothing we could do.”