Gravitation Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Surprises ❯ The Eyes of a Baby ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Now we're looking in the eyes of a baby.
Now we're looking into the eyes of a child.
No one could ever be more surprised than me.
Did you see him smile?
Did you see him smile?”
- Eyes of a Baby, Susanna Hoffs, Susanna Hoffs, 1996
 
K had to admit it . . . he really did enjoy the married life. Waking up every morning next to a beautiful, talented, and successful woman had its advantages. Most guys he knew would have killed him by now for his luck . . . not that he went around advertising he was married to the famous Judy Winchester. Only those who were their closest friends and colleagues knew that.
 
What really surprised him, though, was that the magic was still there. He and Judy had been together for nearly three years, and he still felt his heart skip a beat whenever he saw her. And it didn't matter what she wore, either. She could wear a tight-fitting black evening gown or cut off jeans and a tank top, Judy always looked good to him. K raised a hand up in the air, and gazed at his wedding band, once again marveling that he and Judy had been married for a little over a year and a half.
 
The sound of movement then Judy getting sick in the bathroom just off their bedroom caught his attention at that moment. K frowned. That was not normal for her. Even when she was hung over from a party, she never got sick like that.
 
'And it's been going on for at least a week . . . that's it. I'm taking her to the doctor.'
 
Judy walked into the bedroom, her face looking a little pale and ragged. K held an arm out to her. With a slight sniffle, she immediately curled up next to him, burying her face in his chest.
 
“You going to be okay?”
 
“Yeah,” she nodded. “Just need to kick this bug. That's all.”
 
“Uh-huh . . . what's your schedule like tomorrow?” He pulled her close and held her.
 
“Just the movie shoot,” Judy replied then propped herself up. “Why?”
 
“Talk with the director about having a longer lunch break than normal. I'm going to schedule an appointment for you tomorrow with Dr. Long.”
 
“Honey, it's just the flu!” she protested. “No reason to go to the doctor!”
 
“It is if you've been sick more than a week,” K pointed out.
 
“So I'm having a harder time shaking it,” she shrugged. He then shook his head.
 
“I'm not going to argue with you about this, Judy,” K stated. “You're going to the doctor tomorrow. If it's the flu . . . if it's the flu then I'll have gotten upset over nothing. I just want to be sure it's nothing serious, like a stomach ulcer or something like that. Okay?”
 
“And what makes you think it's something like an ulcer and not the flu?” she frowned
 
“Because you're fine after you've upchucked. Because you've been working non-stop, it seems like, and you're more exhausted than what you have been. That's what.”
 
“All right,” she sighed in resignation. “I'll go.”
 
“Thank you,” he smiled then kissed her.
 
* * *
 
Next afternoon, K pulled into the studio parking lot, a deep frown on his face. When he'd made Judy's appointment and told the receptionist Judy's symptoms, she had agreed that it didn't sound like his wife had the flu. What it did sound like, she wouldn't say but they had gotten her scheduled for when he wanted. For the moment, K was happy with that.
 
As he parked his car, he saw that Judy's manager, Dan Evans, was waiting for him. K didn't really care for him. He always got jealous whenever K was around Judy, and it annoyed K to no end. Judy was his wife and he had every right to be around her. The man scowled at him as he climbed out of his car.
 
“Just what the hell do you think you're doing?” he demanded as K walked to the studio.
 
“It's none of your business as to what I'm doing,” K retorted. He really wanted to punch Dan. He really did.
 
“As Judy's manager, it is my business. She's informed me you made an appointment for her. Says it's a doctor's appointment but I'm not buying that. You're not her manager anymore, K. I am. You have no business . . .”
 
K whirled around and pinned Dan against a building. Immediately, he held his hand with the wedding ring. The man had a startled expression on his face.
 
“Do you see this ring, Dan?”
 
“Y-yes.”
 
“It's a wedding ring. A wedding ring. The one that Judy put on me the day we said our vows. That makes me her husband and she my wife. As her husband, I have the right to make any sort of medical appointment I deem appropriate. Got it?”
 
“G-got it.”
 
K released him then turned to head into the building, stopping. Judy stood right there, her face expressionless and her arms folded. He opened his mouth to say something, but she just shook her head. Without a word, she walked to the car and got in. Sighing softly, K got back in and took off. He had a funny feeling it was going to be a long drive to the doctor's office.
 
* * *
 
“I think I need to find a new manager,” came the soft murmur. K blinked. The entire ride to her appointment, Judy hadn't said a word and K felt for certain she was going to give him an earful before giving her manager an earful. He craned his head to look at her.
 
“What makes you say that?”
 
“Just the way he's been behaving,” Judy shrugged. “Dan's been getting really possessive about the fact that you're still around. It's like it hasn't sunk in that we're married. I can't have that. I feel like I'm dealing with a little kid . . . it's . . . stifling.”
 
“You don't sound like you're ready to replace him, though.”
 
“I'm not . . .” she sighed then shook her head.
 
“Then give him another chance. At least wait until the film's done,” K suggested. “If he doesn't start behaving then we'll seek out a new manager for you. Okay?”
 
“Yeah . . .”
The nurse called her name at that moment, saying the doctor was ready to see her. They both got up and followed her to the examination room.