Groove Adventure Rave Fan Fiction ❯ Groove Adventure Rave: The Tenshi Quest ❯ Oaklands: Finding Family ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Groove Adventure Rave: The Tenshi Quest
By Adam Carr

Groove Adventure Rave and all related names are copyright of Kodansha and Konami.
No infringement is intended

We reach a new town, and Elie finds another key to her past. But what will they have to fight before they can get out of town? And what is Elie feeling for Haru?

www.kodanclub.com
mariasart.cjb.net
www.tokyopop.com



Morning came, and Haru stepped out into the forest clearing. He rubbed his forehead, his mind not thinking as clearly as he wanted. He saw Plue walk over to him, fatigue showing on the creature's face.
"Good morning master. You slept alright?" He strained.
"Yeah, fine." He looked at Plue's tired eyes, concerned. "You don't look so well though. Did you stay up all night?"
"No." Plue yawned. "But I think maintaining this form is taking up most of my energy."
"Oh right. Well, can you change back to your old body?"
"I suppose. Let me try." Hary stepped back as Plue frowned slightly in concentration.
Haru moved closer to stop him. "Wait! While you can still answer back, can I ask you something?"
"Certainly Master. What's on your mind?"
Haru voiced his word with care. "Have you ever gotten a song stuck in your head?"
The beast blinked. "I don't understand."
"Well, what I mean is, has a song or an image of some thing like that ever gotten stuck in your head for no reason, and no matter what you do, you can't stop thinking about it?"
Plue scratched his large head. "Well sometimes when I'm hungry, I can't get the image of beef out of my head."
Haru collapsed.
"Is this about that dream you keep having?"
Getting up, Haru replied. "Sort of. But its not just the dream. It's something else…"
"Well Master, Whenever I can't stop thinking of food, I always try to eat. Maybe this is telling to obtain whatever you're thinking of." The creature grunted. "That's the best advice I can give. May I transform back now?"
"Uh.. sure, Thanks for the help." He watched as Plue stepped back, and began to glow a dim light. A few seconds later, the animal shrunk back to the terrier size creature Haru knew so well.
He bent down lower to his friend. "So, you feeling better?"
Plue barked in response, then yapped in slight anger at the loss of his ability to speak. Haru patted the creature's head.
"Relax pal. Why don't you take it easy and keep an eye on Elie? I'll start breakfast."
Plue nodded and trotted over to the tent. Looking closer, Haru could see the slim form of his partner shfting under her blanket. He sighed. This was not helping his problem.
He couldn't stop thinking about Elie.
Last night, when had held her close to make her feel better, an odd feeling had crept over him. It was one of complete contentment. Even though he wanted to sleep, he would have been happy just to stay up and talk to her. If only the quest wasn't so urgent he would have.
Holding her close, seeing her naked… they were the closest he'd ever got to a woman.
"And if that's all my current love life has gotten up to, I am in serious trouble." He thought.
He had tried to get a girlfriend after returning home. Oh God had he tried. But he could never keep a girl long before they started to annoy him, or he annoyed them. About a third of women he had dated either bossed him around or tried to change his schedules to suit them, some were nicer but found themselves unable to commit or put up with his active lifestyle. The rest were either freaked out by Plue, enticed by Musica or were just plain obvious that the only reason they wanted to be with him was because he was the Rave Master.
In fact, Elie seemed to be the only girl willing to put up with him. The two were alike in many ways. They both loved adventure, and both had found out uncomfortable secrets about each other and stared death in the face.
He admired her. Despite her unusual and difficult life, she always walked forward with a smile on a face and a spring in her step. Happiness was the centre of her life. And that happiness always spread to him. Sure, other girls made him feel like that, but around Elie, it just seemed natural.
"So, why not ask her out?" He found himself saying as he rooted in his bag for the portable cooker.
Elie didn't seem like the type who would settle for a cosy dinner date. She'd have action any day. Haru just considered her a close friend and partner.
Besides, he doubted she would want to go out with him.
"But there's no reason why we couldn't be closer, is there?"
He shook his head in weariness.
Satisfied that the cooker was working, He picked up the Eisonmeteor and began his usual practice.



She couldn't get him out of her mind.
Elie woke from her slumber, her mind still jumbled from all the thinking she had done in her sleep. It had kept her up all night.
They had just popped into her head. Images of her and… Haru, hugging each other like lovers. It was the strangest dream she'd ever had. And it wouldn't go away.
Another thing that was nagging her was: Why does he keep calling her `Elie-chan'? Just what did the `chan' mean? Was it some sort of nickname? It was weird. And yet, it made him that much more appealing…
Why the hell she thinking of him in that way? Haru was just her friend. Haru… was like no other man she had ever met before.
Not that she could remember being with many men. She had no idea if she had any boyfriends in the life she could not remember, and any other men just seemed to ignore her or were crude to her.
But Haru, he always treated her with kindness and respect. It was odd, he never did it expecting her to repay the complements, he just did it.
It was one of the reasons why she liked him. That, and his total devotion to his friends, his endless determination and his jokey attitude.
True, he could be a bit dense, and took too long to figure things out, but the way he frowned whenever he thought hard, he looked rather cute….
She stopped herself. Why was she thinking of Haru as if she had a crush on him? Sure he was nice, but hardly the type of guy she would want to go out with. Besides, he wasn't THAT good looking.
She heard shouts from outside, and wondered what was going on. She crawled out of the tent and spotted Plue, back in his old body, eating a breakfast bar. She said hello to the small creature, but he was too absorbed in his meal. She heard the cries again, and located the sound. Her eyes widened.
Haru, on a small hill twenty feet from the tent, was swinging and thrusting the Eisonmeteor around, stabbing and slashing at some invisible enemy. The silver blade glinted in the bright sunlight, creating a trail of light that followed the blade as it cut through the air. Elie watched, entranced by the movements. Every slash and stab flowed together beautifully, a wave of motion that never stopped. She looked closer at Haru's face, etched in a look of total concentration. It was obvious he did this every morning. She remembered when she had first met him. His skill with the sword and the Rave were limited to quick, frantic slashes and the only form the blade could assume was the Explosion Blade. It was a far cry from the warrior who had beaten Demon Card.
He laid the sword on the ground and knelt on his knees, panting for breath. His hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. He mopped his brow, and Elie expected him to see her and walk over.
Instead, he took his shirt off.
Her eyes bugged out at the sight of his well toned chest. Without his normal clothing, he had the stature only a comic hero could match.
He then noticed her and waved.
She collapsed due to lack of blood in her head.


Haru rushed over as soon as he saw Elie faint. Bending down, he cradled the girl in his arms.
"Elie! Are you alright? Speak to me!"
She opened her eyes, which glazed over as soon as she locked onto his biceps. "So beautiful…" She murmured.
"Is the heat getting to you?" He asked.
She then realised where she was, and jumped out of Haru's hold. "What the hell are you doing?!!" She shrieked.
Haru stood up to look her in the eye. "You fainted. Are you sure you're feeling okay?"
"Fainted?" Her face contorted into fright when she realised what happened. Haru was confused as she got VERY flustered.
"Oh Haru er… don't worry. I just didn't get much sleep! I nodded off, that's all!" She tried to give her most convincing grin.
Haru frowned. "Are you sure?"
"Yeah yeah fine!" She snapped nervously. She then ran to the tent and grabbed the rucksack, which she then tossed to Haru. "Come on, lets get packing."
Haru watched in amazement. Not even Elie got this riled up.
She then reached in her pocket and produced a small pair of earphones. One end she plugged into her watch, the phones inserted in her ears. Seeing it was some kind of radio watch, he pressed his question.
"Elie.."
"Traaaaveling, ohhhh, traaaaveling.." She sung, trying not to hear him.
Haru scratched his head. What was going on?


Far away, a large beaten up camper van with tiger stripes painted on the side was parked on a hill. This was the residence of Billy Kady and, to Helix's great displeasure, his temporary headquarters.
Stepping in, he hung his heavy coat on the back of the door, then stepped into the main living area. The floor was covered with dirty clothing, the surfaces with old Chinese takeaway boxes strewn around. His eyes rested on Kady, who was tapping away at a laptop in just his underwear. Helix grimaced at the sight, but remembered that Kady was needed. He was the best tracker around, and so far, he hadn't led them wrong. Kady them noticed him.
"Mornin' sir. Nice day out, eh?"
"Yes…" Helix just hissed. "You're searching for information about Oaklands I hope."
"Oaklands? Yeah did that last night. I was just ordering a few magazines when you came in." He lifted the laptop to Helix's face. The swordsman saw several scantly clad anime women on the screen before he knocked it away.
"Not your type?" Kady spoke.
"Would you please be serious for a moment!" Helix near screamed. "If we don't find them, I guarantee we'll all be dead men."
"Steady mate! We've got all the information on this town right here." Kady produced a small dossier. Flipping through it he voiced. "Pretty strange that they would want to go there though, I mean there's hardly anything left of that place after it was burnt down a few years ago."
"What happened to it?" Helix enquired.
"No one knows. According to the few eye witness accounts they got, they say a dragon descended and torched the place." The hunter laughed. "A dragon? Can you believe that? What utter bull!"
"Careful Kady. There are stranger things than you can imagine." Helix said mysteriously.
"Er yeah." Kady replied, puzzled by the statement. Willis' voice called through the door.
"Are we going or not? I can't stand the stench of this fleapit anymore!"
Kady jumped up. "Hold your horses, we're going now. And you take that back! This thing's only two years old!"
Helix rubbed his head as the two men argued.
It served to remind him why he hated this species.
He picked up a small communicator and summoned a helicopter.


In another direction, a smaller camper van, but more modern and much cleaner, was powering its way over hills. Musica was relived Ethan and Angela had brought transport. Looking at Griff's maps, they found the route to Oaklands was up several mountainous roads. Which did not look inviting to walk up. Then again, according to what Ethan had told him, Plue could now just fly them up. It boggled the mind. He knew as much about Rave as Haru did, and yet the ancient stone still kicked up some surprises.
Just then, the annoying sound from the counter penetrated his ears once again. Maybe if they found his friends, they could ask the new Plue to murder Griff.
Griff was once again singing karaoke to keep everyone's spirits up. Unfortunately, no one had bothered to tell him he had a voice like steel through a vice.
"Traaaaaaaaveling, oh yeah, traaaaaaaaveling." The blob continued.
"Griff could you give it a rest? It's too early for your crap." The silver master groaned.
"It's never too late for karaoke!" His assistant defended. "Besides, you don't see anyone else complaining, do you?"
At that moment, the tip of a very sharp sword appeared inches from Griff's eyes. He quivered as he looked up at the imposing figure of Ethan.
"Stop it, or I'm going to make you stop."
The blob huffed as the sword was taken away. "Philistines. You know, you wouldn't know how to get to this place if I hadn't figured it out."
"We know Griff, and we are eternally grateful. But no more singing , please."
"I second that!" Angela called from the driving seat.
Griff scowled. "I hate you all."
Musica turned his attention to Ethan, who now sat opposite him on the camper's table. "So, what's the deal with this town? I hear it was trashed a few years ago."
"Burnt down actually." Ethan stated. "Thing is, no one knows exactly how or why. It just happened."
Griff then spoke up. "Some people say a dragon did it."
Musica raised his eyebrows. "Griff, the only dragons on this planet are all in the Valley of the Stars. Why would there be one here?"
"I dunno. Maybe it got lost." He swallowed. "Course, I hope they are all still in the Valley. I'm in enough danger in this tin can."
"Don't call it a tin can!" Angela bellowed.
"See what I mean?"


Haru looked up. The mountain peaks that stood before them and Oaklands were huge. Jagged spires of stone which reached into the sky. And it all looked utterly impossible to cross. The two of them knew nothing about mountain climbing. But he wasn't about to let that stop him.
"It's probably not too bad, after these ones it must ease out towards the town."
He gazed over at Elie, who didn't look convinced.
"Well you can try if you want. Me, I'm just gonna find a road." She studied the map, then scowled. "Why the hell did you lead us here, when the only road into this place is over there!" She pointed towards the west. "Four miles over there!"
"It'll be quicker to cross the mountains."
"But it's safer to take the road."
"But we want to get there before they do!"
"But I don't want my neck broken before they do it!"
"I might just let them…" Haru sighed.
Elie raged on. "Why the hell do you have to make things so difficult?"
"I make things difficult? You're the one who got me into this dumb quest!"
"It's not dumb!"
"It might not even exist, this temple! At least I knew Rave was real!"
"IT IS REAL!" She screamed.
"ENOUGH!" A new voice roared. The two jumped in surprise, and turned to Plue, who had transformed to his beast form.
"This is getting us nowhere! We all know that this temple is real! The man who wrote about it was a friend of my first master. I sense the truth in his words. Haru, you should know above all people about how real the mystical can be."
Elie sniffed. "Thank you Plue."
Haru looked at Elie, and noticed the tears in her eyes. He felt very ashamed all of a sudden. He'd only wanted to set her straight, not hurt her. But his mouth had moved ahead of his brain. He never wanted to shout at people. He felt nothing got solved that way.
Plue continued. "And you should take this a bit more seriously Elie."
"Hey he started it!" She protested.
"This isn't one of your pleasure jaunts. It's a race against time. Whoever these men are, they won't stop at nothing to get to this place. We can't waste time!"
Elie opened her mouth to respond, but stopped. She knew this was important to her, but now Plue reminded her that it could be important to everyone else as well.
She glanced at Haru, who bowed his head. He looked sorry for what he had said. She knew he wasn't mean in any way. She sighed inwardly. This trip was taking their toll on all of them.
"Now, I'll fly us over here until we reach flatter ground, but not unless you two apologise." The beast said.
Haru nodded. He moved closer and touched Elie's shoulder. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it."
She grinned and grabbed him in a huge hug. "Oh I know you don't , silly. But we all go a bit crazy sometimes. Me, all the time."
She swept a hand through his hair, the motion making Haru flinch slightly. She then turned to Plue.
"Nice one Plue. You've got him very well trained." She giggled.
Haru sighed. "Why couldn't I have a hamster for a guardian animal?"


Minutes later, Plue soared over the mountains with his master and friend on his back. The two were staring wide eyed at the sight below them. The peaks whizzed by under their feet like some grey jagged carpet. Small clouds dotted the otherwise clear blue sky, which stretched ahead like some infinite sea. Holding on to Plue's mane, Haru laughed with joy.
"Man, this is the only way to travel!"
"Oh I dunno." Elie spoke from behind him. "Musica's airship is faster, and a hell of a lot more comfortable."
"Well, we could have waited for him, but you wanted to go straight away."
"Hey I only…"
Suddenly, without warning, Plue spun in a barrel roll, prompting Haru and Elie to scream in horror and grab the nearest hold. Haru held tighter to the mane of hair. Elie wrapped her arms tighter around Haru's waist.
The beast straightened out. "Any more from you two…."
"We get the picture! Just don't do that again!" Haru yelled.
Plue chuckled, while the two shot a look at him.
Haru felt the tight vice of Elie's arms around him. Yet oddly, their hold felt comforting. It made him feel better to know she was there.
There was silence for several minutes, before Elie spoke. "Ever notice that when you get really high while flying, everything goes quiet?"
Haru pricked his ears. Aside from the soft beating of Plue's wings and the whistling wind, it was very silent. "Yeah." He replied softly.
"Well it's driving me nuts! Can't we talk about something?"
Plue spoke. "Sounds good to me. Do you have any subjects?"
"Yeah! Plue, could you tell me about your life before you met Shiba?"
The beast turned his head around, and Haru almost laughed at the confused expression on his face. It looked so odd on the majestic creature.
"MY life?"
"Yeah. I mean, you must have had some adventures with your old master right? And what was life like before you met him? Just how did you get the job of Guardian of the Rave?"
She waited for the creature to respond. Haru also held his breath. He was also intrigued. No doubt Plue knew more about Rave than he did. But before, he hadn't had the opportunity to talk to him.
But the bubble deflated when Plue answered. "Truthfully, I don't know. I cannot even recall my birthplace."
The two travellers would have been floored, if there was a floor.
"You mean you don't know how you became the Rave's guardian? You don't know where you were born?!" Haru shrieked.
"Welcome to my world." Drawled Elie.
"Sorry to disappoint you." Plue spoke. "But my earliest memory is seeing the Rave and Master Shiba. When I saw it, I felt… connected to it. I immediately knew how to draw and transfer power from it. It was and still is apart of me. And when Master Shiba explained to me about Dark Bring, I knew it was my duty to help him out." He sighed wistfully. "Ah what adventures we had."
"Well then, tell us please. " Elie patted Haru's head. "And I'm sure your master has a few tales to tell too."
"Stop encouraging him." Haru retorted. "Besides, I only went on a few trips to other countries. Pretty boring compared to what Plue's seen."
Elie snuggled her head closer to his neck. "Just talk to me Haru. Anything to keep it noisy."
Haru smiled. It was too quiet up here. And Elie seemed willing to listen. After that fight, he wanted to keep things sweet between her.
And so they talked. Plue recounted his adventures with Shiba, Haru talked about his travels and what he did after coming home from his first quest, and Elie told him about all the places she had been to. Time seemed to stand still as the trio joked, argued about who'd walked the furthest, and who had the most horrible experience in the rain. The terrain seemed to whiz by even slower.
As Haru listened, his sense of admiration for Elie grew stronger. Even though they had never found her past during their battles against Dark Bring, even though she had almost been killed by the evil force, she had remained headstrong and kept working toward her goal. She had travelled to regions even Haru hadn't visited, He was convinced nothing could faze this girl, her happiness was too contagious.
He wished that she'd stayed with him on Garage Island. His treks would have been a lot more fun with her around.
He laughed to himself at the thought of her living with him. It seemed a ridiculous idea. He could hardly imagine her getting along with Cattleya and Nakajima. And could he stand her being around him all day and night?
"Yes." He thought. "I could."
Elie sighed to herself, deeply impressed by the tales Haru told her. She had expected him to rest on his laurels after saving the world, but instead, he just kept travelling around to new lands. And even though she'd been around, the places Haru and Plue had gone to were beyond any area she would have wanted to go. She wasn't surprised Haru wanted to go over the mountains. He just loved venturing into the unknown, like she did.
It was a far cry from the nervous, clumsy yet kind boy she'd met a year ago. Alright, so he was still like that, but he'd matured into an extremely brave, compassioned and headstrong friend during their quest.
She sighed again. She wished she'd let Haru come with her instead of separating after the Rave quest. She wouldn't have felt so lonely then.
Noticing that no one was listening to how he and Shiba had scorched three men with one blow, Plue cocked his head at the two. They were both silent, lost in their own thoughts. He then spotted something out the corner of his eye, and took a closer look.
"Master, we've reached Oaklands…. I think."
The Rave Master and his friend jolted out of their haze, and peered in the direction of Plue's nose. Indeed, nestled in the mountains and surrounded by trees, there was Oaklands. At least, what was left of it.
From the high vantage point, the trio could see that just about all the streets in the centre of the town were filled with the ruins of houses and office blocks. Caved in walls and burnt down structures for miles around. The buildings in the outer sections were still standing, but were still in a bad state.
Haru whistled. "What a mess. What could have caused this?"
"Something of great power, no doubt." Plue replied solemnly. "I wouldn't be surprised if Demon Card were responsible."
Haru sighed. It always brought a pang to his heart whenever she thought of Demon Card. He still couldn't believe a group who started with good intentions could have done such damage to the world. His father was probably turning in his grave.
He noticed Elie was silent. Turning to look at her, he saw her face had turned white as she looked below.
"Elie-chan?" He prodded. She gasped silently.
"This town… I recognise it."
Haru's eyes widened. "You think you've been here before?"
"I think so.. Lets land. I need a closer look."
Plue spotted a grassy section and began his descent.
Upon landing, Haru hopped off and helped Elie off Plue's back. She looked around as if in a daze. Plue then reverted back to his normal form.
"It's strange." She whispered.
"What?" Haru enquired, quite worried.
"Whenever I look at this place, I get pictures of me.. playing here." She indicated the grass around them. "This was a playground."
Haru placed an arm around her shoulders.
"Come on. Lets find Lina's house."


On the other side, the helicopter descended quietly, the downforce scattering debris around the concrete. Helix, Willis and Kady clambered out, followed by a few guards with guns. The three looked around with disain.
"Good grief. What a craphole!" Kady goggled. "Wonder what happened here?"
"Save your thinking for your retirement." Willis snapped. "Lets start looking for them."
"Keep your hair on. If that address is legit, they shouldn't be too far away."
Kady then noticed that Helix was without his coat, although his sword was strapped to a harness and his armoured blue jumper.
"Hey Helix. You leave your coat in my van?"
"I guess so."
"Should be more careful mate. A good coat like that'll get nicked if you're not careful."
He then shivered, feeling an odd sensation.
"Blimey that's odd. I'd swear someone was watching us."
Helix furrowed his brow. He wondered when one of them might show up.
"Stay alert." He simply said.


On a battered rooftop, the invisible figure watched as the swordsman and his allies walked down the street the gunmen constantly wary.
It would not be long before they reached their destination.
He turned and looked over the town, sighing sadly. He remembered when this had been a good, prosperous town. People had been happy here. Now it was gone.
With expert timing. He leaped over the rooftops, jumping and diving until he reached the house he seeked. God only knew what had happened to the town so long ago, but he was thankful this one still remained fairly intact. Glancing up the street, he saw his quarry and the boy who defended her move towards the house.
"I only hope you can take what you find in there Elisha." He said silently to her.
He then shivered. For some reason, he'd gotten the feeling he was being watched.


It watched as they advanced into its realm. First, a young boy and girl arrived on a strange flying creature. The two seemed to have an odd aura surrounding them. Then, on the other side, several men came from a flying device, one with a malevolent air around him, the others with weapons.
Its eyes glared. How dare they invade his realm.
Now, he would prove his honor.


On the streets, the devastation looked even worse. Caved in wall, burnt down wreckage and destroyed cars littered the streets, As they picked their way though the debris, Haru silently wondered just how the outer houses were still standing.
The centre of the town was such a mess, it was impossible to know where you were. And yet Elie was walking through as if she had known this place for years. As they walked through what appeared to have been some kind of shopping district, Elie kept pointing out derelicts.
"This place, it was an ice cream shop." She said. "I remember I was sick here once." She placed her head in her hands. "Ohhh, this is creepy."
Haru moved closer to her. "Do you think you lived here? Is that why you're remembering?"
"It must be." She grasped his hand. "But I can't recall much. It just comes to me, when I see these things."
She gasped as she spotted another building. "That was the toy store!"
She held tighter to him. Haru could feel her fear. He was starting to get a bit scared himself.
"Keep calm. Maybe the answers we need are in Lina's house. We should go there."
She nodded, calmed by Haru's presence. He kept a cool head, as he often did.
They walked on, their uneasiness heightened by the total silence if the area. They wanted to talk, but apart from Elie recognising some landmark, they found they couldn't. Suspense tightened to their hearts, and they couldn't help but shudder.
At last, they reached the house in question. It was a small, square terrace block with a tiled roof that now lay in tatters. Where the walls weren't scorched, bright yellow paint could be seen. In it's heyday, it had probably been a very homely place.
Plue and Haru noticed Elie was shaking more than ever, an expression of complete shock on her face. Plue jumped into her arms, and she held the creature close.
"What's up?" Haru asked, still nervous himself.
She shared at the door. "I… I lived here."
"WHAT!!!!?" Haru hadn't been expecting this. Sure, he could understand Elie having recollections of this place, but living in the house where a Lina had lived? This was beyond weird.
Elie rubbed her head. "Ohhh… I keep getting flashbacks. Loads, all at once. It's doing my head in!""
"Are you sure you lived here?"
"I know I did." She said adamantly. She pointed at the burnt lawn. "I look at this, and I keep seeing me as a little kid, playing with action figures."
Excitement was slowly bubbling up within her. Could this be what she had been looking for?
Stepping forward, she grasped the handle. Hands shaking, she turned it, and entered the house, Haru close behind.
Inside, the room was fairly messy, but remarkably, everything was fairly intact, save for knocked over dressers, a smashed TV and a couch with deep slashes in it. The small room they had entered was panelled in dark wood, with a red carpet, making it feel rather warm. The remaining furniture still standing consisted of small tables and dusty shelves with picture frames on them.
Plue hopped out of Elie grasp and sniffed around. She walked around the room, taking the sight in as if trying to remember the detail. Haru watched her, glancing around now and then. He hated seeing Elie like this. She was at her best when she was happy, and this odd encounter with this deserted house was disturbing her and him. He wanted to console her, but wasn't sure what he could do for her. He resolved to watch her carefully as she recalled what memories she had.
He then noticed an odd colouration on the carpet at his feet. Stooping down, he looked closer at the stain, the slight smell confirming what it was. Blood.
He tensed up. Something had happened here, long ago. Before or after this town was trashed? There was no way of knowing. He tabled the question, and made sure Elie hadn't noticed. She was looking at some picture frames. Good, she didn't need more worry.
"Haru! Look at this!" She called.
He rushed over, Plue hopping on the arm of the couch in order to get a better look.
Elie held three picture frames in her hand. Holding them up, Haru could see the first two in her left hand. One depicted Lina in a white dress, kissing a man with dark spiked back hair.
"That's her and that guy… Joey Valentine?"
"It must be." She stared at the photo. "She's beautiful."
Haru couldn't disagree. Apart from longer hair, she looked almost like Elie. The amber eyes, the pale skin, the slim figure… the very figure of beauty and light. Joey Valentine had been a very lucky man.
The other photo showed the two against the backdrop of a hill, trying to climb the slope. Joey was walking up, leading a tanchimo which carried Lina. Here, she was evidently pregnant.
Elie;s eyes widened. "She must be going to the temple here."
"Are there any pictures of the kid?" Haru prodded.
Elie turned the third photo in her right hand. "Haven't checked this one yet." She stared at it.
And gasped loudly.
"What?" Haru glanced closer at the picture, while Elie struggled for breath. What had shocked her like this?
This new photo just showed Lina and Joey posing with a small girl. The tiny girl had short, auburn hair, and was playing with her father's tresses.
"No way…." Haru croaked.
Elie shuddered. "Lina…. was my mother."


As the group walked down the main street, they kept looking warily around. Even though they all knew they could defeat their target, the silence of this dark town was unsettling. Kady kept whipping his head around, as if worried some monster would burst out of the wreckage around them. The only calm ones were Helix and Willis. The suited man glanced around.
"You know, after this is all over, and you guys are sorted out, this could all be looking into." He indicated the shopping centre. "A nice fixer upper here."
"If you say so." Helix said, not caring.
"No really. I could…" He stopped. "Did you hear that?"
"Yes. Your mouth."
"No really, I heard something."
The guards increased their vigilance, looking around. Helix and Kady also studied their surroundings more carefully.
Then Helix heard it. A distant sound like a cloth being flapped in the air. And it seemed to be getting closer.
The guards tried to pinpoint the sound, but as it got louder, it seemed to be coming from all around.
"Bloody hell, what is this?" Kady breathed. The sound was now deafening, and now seemed to be coming from above them. Helix looked up, and the others followed suit.
Before their eyes, a beast only thought to be legend passed over them. A huge lizard, the size of a small truck, glided over their heads on large wings. The sun caused the beast to be blotted from their eyesight into a black silhouette. But it only seemed to increase it's majesty.
Mouths gaped open. Even Helix was surprised. The dragon passed over their heads, and flew like quicksilver behind a nearby mountain.
The men gasped.
"Wow." Willis grinned
"Too right mate." Kady exaulted. "Bugger me, I've never seen one that close before. Thought they were on the other side of the continent."
Helix scowled. "Yes, it was great. But tell me, am I the only one slightly concerned that there is a fire breathing monster this close around here?"
"Oh relax mate. Dragons are supposed to be gentle unless you provoke them. Besides, he probably didn't see us."
At that moment, an ear-splitting shriek echoed from the mountain, at like some monster from Hell, the dragon soared out from its hiding place, and dive bombed straight for the group.
The solders split and fled in all directions as a blast of fire erupted from the dragon's mouth. Those who were not lucky enough to get away in time were thrown in the air by the blast. One caught on fire, and ran about trying to snuff the flames.
Willis ran for cover. Helix and Kady stood back, observing as the soldiers fired their guns at the flying beast. They watched as bullets bounced of the dragon's armoured hide. It swung around and fired another blast of fire.
This time, the majority of soldiers didn't dodge in time, and were washed away in the wave of fire. When the intense heat wave faded away, all that was left were charred remains.
"Bugger me!" Kady yelled.
"I think." Helix said "That It's time for a tactical retreat."
"You mean run like Hell?"
"Pretty much, yes. Get to that house!"
Willis picked himself up, and along with the swordsman and hunter, ran in the direction of the house they were meant to go to.
But then, the dragon flew ahead of them.


"Elie-chan." Haru said softly, holding Elie's shaking shoulders. He could see tears in the corners of her eyes.
"N…No. She.. she was killed." She croaked. "She… cant be."
"Calm down Elie-chan." Haru soothed, trying to calm her.
"NO!" She screamed. She ran from Haru's grasp and up the stairs.
Haru glanced at Plue. Even in his small form, he looked shocked. The Rave Master stood dumbly, wondering what he could do. Just how the hell was he to comfort someone about losing a person they'd only just found?
Plue pushed at his leg, indicating him to follow Elie up. Haru sighed, then walked up, hoping he could do something.
At the top, he heard sobbing from the room nearest to him. Peering in, he was met with the sight of a large bedroom, with a queen size bed, and wardrobe in the corner. Elie lay face down on the bed, a pillow muffling her cries.
Haru sat down next to her, and touched her shoulder. She tensed up, but within, felt relieved that he was here.
"Its not fair." She choked out. "I finally find my family, and they're dead. Why does this happen to me?"
Haru almost cried from her outpouring. Just like she radiated happiness which touched those around her, so too did she affect everyone with her sadness. Seeing her here, she looked utterly helpless. It hurt him inside.
He moved closer to her. "Elie-chan…" He struggled to get his words out, not sure if they would help her. "If it helps I… have some idea of what you're going through."
She snapped her head to face him. "How would you know!!!? You found your dad!" Tears rained from her eyes.
He tightened his hold on her shoulder. "I know. But… those few days I had with him, are the only real ones I had with him. He was never there for my childhood."
She looked closer at him. His face appeared to be slipping into a miserable scowl, but he was trying to look strong. It hit her, he seemed to be remembering old hurt.
"I thought, after we had defeated King, we'd finish out journey together. I could have a dad again. But then, he sacrificed himself…" He stopped, not wishing to remember. Elie, understanding his hurt, touched his arm.
"I felt like I couldn't go on. Like I'd lost him forever." He smiled slightly. "But I knew, I'd always have what time I did spend with him. I learnt a lot about him. I can always treasure that."
He held her shoulders and gently pulled her up, so he could look at her eyes. She willingly complied., leaning against him and allowing his arms to encircle her. She felt safe in his grasp.
"But it was something he said that pushed me to keep going."
She looked in his steel eyes, glinting slightly with tears. She understood what he was feeling. Gale's death had affected her too. But he seemed to be alright. Could he help her?
"What?"
"Just… To never give up on myself. No matter what happened.
Elie absorbed his words. They seemed so right. Never before in the quest for her lost life had she given up. Not for her, not for her friends. She couldn't stop now. But still, to find her mother was gone…
She cradled herself in Haru's lap, and sobbed softly into his shoulder. Haru held her tight, not knowing if his words had helped. All he knew was, she needed a friend.
They sat there for about an hour. Elie eventually calmed down, and wiped her eyes. She realised that she was still holding Haru tight, and his arms were still around her.
It was touching the way he doted on her. Even when she had been in utterly deep trouble, he had always come and saved her.
"Do you want to look around?" He probed gently.
She nodded. Gathering her strength, she stood up and walked out the room. Somehow, she knew where she was going.
Haru and Plue followed her as she walked into a room across the hall. Stepping in after her, Haru glanced around. The walls were decorated with various images of pop idols and anime shows. A colourful bedspread was on the bed, which sat next to a vanity table laden with make up and accessories. This had obviously been her room.
Elie looked around, eyes widened as slight memories rushed her. She gasped as she spotted a small teddy bear on the bed. She picked it up, and hugged it tightly. A small smile adorned her face.
"Funny. I can't remember where I've been all my life, yet I recognise my old teddy."
She then noticed a thin, thread trailing from the bear's leg. She was about to pull it out, when she realised that the thread reached under the bed.
Curious, she tugged at the string. From under the bed, a small, plain black book popped out.
Trembling, she picked it up, and sat on the edge of the bed to examine it. Haru sat down next to her, Plue hopping into his lap.
She opened the book, and read the first entry.


March 4, 0058
Well, after many months of my nagging, Joey finally relented to settling down in a proper home. No more constant moving for us. Elisha can finally make some firm friends. And the town that is our new home, Oaklands, is just about perfect. Everything is so beautiful here, just like Mother described. Elisha is having great fun in the forests. And as a bonus, we are very close to the temple. We could get there in a day, if we didn't have to go around Platiax.
Funny. Right now, the last thing I want to do is go there.
Tomorrow is Elisha's eighth birthday, and we shall have to go to the temple to prepare her for her powers. I just wonder how she will take it. I remember being scared when my parents first introduced me to Etherion. And Joey was decidedly freaked out when I revealed my true nature to him.
But Elisha's a strong girl. She shows such courage for her age. I know she'll be okay.


"This is your mother's diary?" Haru asked.
"Must be." She absently replied, looking at the pages. "Some of this stuff is strange. What does she mean by her true nature?"
"Read on and maybe we'll find out… Elisha."
He said it boldly, hoping saying her true name might help her conflicting feelings.
She smiled, and continued with the book.
Haru settled and watched Elie leaf through the book, occasionally stopping on a page to read it in greater detail. The emotions on her face kept changing, from happy to estatic, from sad to tearful.
He was glad that she was finding a part of her old life back, even if it wasn't the whole picture. Seeing the smiles on her face, it gave him a good feeling inside. He noticed that as she reached the end of the book, her face became more downcast. No doubt bas news was happening on the pages she read. He shuffled closer to her, and put his arm around her, just to let her know he was near. He felt secure, knowing she was safe.
She gasped suddenly. He peered over to look at the current chapter.


May 21 0063
I never thought I would feel such dispair as I do now. Joey has been missing for three days now, and now everyone seems to fear the worst.
I cried for hours. I know I may never see him again. Why him? He never wanted to fight.
But no, they won't have it. I don't think they know the meaning of the word peace.
I've got to get control. It won't be long before they track me down and hunt me like they've already done with the others. I'm no longer worried about myself, but Elisha… she holds more power than any of us. They cannot get a hold of her.
But in order to protect her… It hurts me to think about it, but I know that I have to do it….


Elie frowned. "Do what? Hide me from whom? Arrrgh, I need answers!" She yelled at the page.
"Easy Elie-chan. " Haru held her shoulders. "Maybe there's more."
"There is no more. This is the last page." Holding it up, Haru saw only the last page and the back of the dust jacket. He then spotted what looked like a card sticking out slightly. He grabbed it, and pulled it out.
Holding it in front of him, he saw it was a piece of folded card, with a small metal disk attached to it. The disk was a perfect flat circle, yet it looked like no metal Haru had ever seen. It shone with a reflective quality, like a CD.
He separated the disk and card, giving the card to Elie. She unfolded it, and looked at the handwriting written within it. It was her mothers.


My Dearest Elisha
If you are reading this, then you have finally found your home. I hope that you made it here alright and without trouble.
Sadly, I won't be around to meet you. But don't think that I abandoned you. I never wanted to leave you, but things were desperate. Enemies like nothing you could imagine were after you, and I had to make sure you were safe. But I will regret it all the way to my death.
But at least I can make some amends. This disk contains your memories. Sounds crazy I know, but your entire life, and the history of your family are recorded on here. To use it, you must go north from Platiax city. Just keep going north until you can't go any further. You'll know when you get there.
I'm only sorry I can't be with you to help you regain your life. But I'll be with you in spirit, always. I love you, and I know that you will have the happy life I always wanted you to have.

My eternal love
Lina Valentine


A cry escaped from Elie's lips, and Haru held her tighter. She was glad he was here. More that ever, she needed a shoulder to cry on.
"I don't understand this. Hide me from whom?"
Haru thought. "Maybe these guys that are chasing us. But this disk.." He handed it to her. "If we have to go north from Platiax then this thing..
"Must be used in the temple." She studied the small object. "My memories…?"
She tucked the disc into her cleavage, securing it with the bra.
Haru then heard a noise, that seemed to be getting closer. It sounded like when Plue had flapped his wings earlier. Except this sounded much louder.
"The hell?" He felt uneasy. He got to his feet and pulled Elie up. "We'd better get out of here. I don't like.."
Suddenly, as the beating noise reached its loudest, the roof above them was torn away with a horrific wrenching noise. Plaster felt all around them, and the two dived to avoid getting hit.
Looking up, Haru saw a massive hole torn in the roof. And staring down from it, was the massive, black scaled head of a dragon. Yellow eyes bred into him.
"HOLY CRAP!!!!" Elie yelled.
Haru got up and rushed at the beast. But he was too slow. The dragon extended one of its clawed arms and swatted the teen into the wall.
Elie watched in horror as the dragon picked up Haru in its claws, then ascended into the air, the wings blowing debris every which way.
Faster than could be believed, the beast flew into the mountains. Elie ran to the window, watching the monster disappear into the horizon.
"HARRRRUUU!" She screamed.
She fell to her knees in shock and despair. Seeing him gone like that….
A sound behind her caused her to turn her head. From under a pile of rubble, the super form of Plue emerged.
"Plue! Are you alright?" She rushed over to the beast.
"I'm fine." He said calmly. He looked around. "Where's Master?"
"A dragon took him! A freaking dragon!" She pointed towards the mountains.
"Get on. I should be able to find him."
She climbed onto Plue's back, and he then rose out of the hole, before shifting direction and darting towards the mountains. Elie tried to control her fear as the wind whipped at her hair.
"Please be okay. I can't lose you."


He is doing it. After getting over the rocks, and finally braving the lava lake, he is getting closer to her. To this coloured girl in the monochrome world.
The hot rock is agony on his feet. He wanted to just run over it, but the pain is too intense. It takes all his effort just not to black out and keep moving. He swears he can smell burning flesh.
But at last, he reaches the other side, and collapses onto the white grass, gasping for breath. As the pain subsides, he looks at the girl. Her face is still somehow hidden to him, but her eyes burn brighter than before, a mesmerising amber glow.
He gets to his feet more determined than ever.
Then it appears. Like a shadow, a dark figure materialises between him and her. He is totally black, like a shadow, but his face can be seen.
He sees it keeps shifting. Sometimes it turns into Shuda. Sometimes Sieghart. But the look of evil in its eyes is always constant.
It creates a massive sword. He reaches for his own..
And realises it is not there….


"AHHHHHH!" Haru cried as he rose from the dream. Rubbing his head, he looked around.
"Must have been knocked out… where am I?"
His surroundings were walled in by jagged rocks, creating a wall around the flat stone expanse in front of him. From the wind blowing around him, he surmised that he was on top of a mountain. But how had he gotten here? The only things to be seen were several large rocks, the dragon, a small tree…
DRAGON!!?
As if sensing his fear, the giant beast stomped over to him and glared down with blazing yellow eyes. Haru slowly reached for the Eisonmeteor.
Then, from out of nowhere, the dragon spoke.
"So you have awakened, Rave Master."
Haru tried to keep his cool, but this close to a fire breathing beast, it was hard to not scream like a fool.
"Yes. You know who I am?"
"Your power was easy to detect." The dragon rasped. "But it will not help you now."
"Meaning what?" Haru asked warily, holding the sword.
"That even your power is not enough to defeat me." The dragon was shouting now. "You believe you can defeat me, the mighty Cyndar? Well, I'm willing to give you a chance. Ready your weapon, and prepare!"
The monster extended three scythe like claws from its front paws. Haru looked on in astonishment.
"What are you, crazy? I don't want to fight you. I just want to get out of here!"
"There's only one way to get out of here. Either you destroy me, or I destroy you. Only one of us leaves here." The voice rasped.
"What the hell is with you?" Haru demanded. "I'm no threat to you. Why fight me?"
Cyndar chuckled. "I'm the legendary Cyndar. You're the legendary Rave Master, It's your duty to fight me."
Haru sweated. This dragon was seriously nuts. He could not believe he just thought that.
Cyndar raised one clawed forearm, and Haru prepared to dodge.


"I sense him over there." Plue said. He flew low over the mountains, scanning for any sight of his master. Elie whipped her head around, searching desperately for any sign of her friend.
"I should have stopped that thing." She said quietly.
"Don't berate yourself. Even I didn't see that thing coming. We'll find him. Besides, we know Master can handle himself."
"So you say." She replied. She was not comforted. Haru was tough sure, but even he hadn't fought a dragon. Would he be able to survive?
Of course he would. He had to.
It occurred to her that she was seriously scared of losing him.
"There he is." Plue yelled. Elie looked down and spotted Haru trapped in a large crater, dwarfed by the massive dragon that stood in front of him. He raised his sword defiantly.
"We have to help him!!" She screamed. "We have to…"
She stopped. That strange sensation, the one she had felt when she had healed Plue, was returning. It was as if small bolts of lighting were bouncing up and down her body, not unpleasantly. Her head began to feel a bit light, and she could hear that woman's voice again.
"You can help him. Embrace your power. Command it…"
Then she came back to focus. What was happening to her?
Looking down again, she watched the dragon lift his claws. Seeing her friend in danger, impulse took over her.
"Embrace my power? I'll embrace it all right!"
Concentrating, she felt the tingling build up in her arms, to the point where it felt unbearably painful and pleasurable at the same time. The sensation was akin to what your arms felt like when you stood too close to a fire.
Plue swooped down low toward the crater, and as the got close to the approaching monster, Elie held out her arms, and released her grip on the magic.
A bolt of white light erupted from her finger tips, bolting through the sky before striking the dragon's back. It reared back and howled in pain, allowing Haru to put some distance between him and it.
Elie gasped in surprise. "Holy crap! I did it!"
Plue's eyes widened. "I don't know what you did, but do it again! Quick!"
Elie concentrated again. It now felt much easier to do, and she shot off another bolt as Plue circled around.
Haru watched in astonishment as Plue rocketed around Cyndar, with Elie blasting light from her fingers. He could sense the power flowing from her from where he was. How had she controlled something as powerful as Etherion?
Plue was about to fly over again, when Cyndar got wise. He angled his head, and a blast of fire spurted from his open mouth. It stuck Plue, sending the beast and his cargo spiralling into the ground.
The dragon approached the strange creature that had attacked him. The girl riding on it was struggling to get up. She gasped in fright as she saw him tower over her. A massive claw rose up, and she stood in shock as it whipped down to strike her. She braced herself for the blow.
But it never came. Instead, a blurry shape appeared in front of her, and slashed at the claw with what looked like a blue blade. As the monster moved back, the shape slowed down and became Haru, holding the Silfarion Sword.
"STAY AWAY FROM HER!!!" He yelled in blind rage.
Elie gasped. Haru had saed her many times before, but never had he expressed his care for her with such intensity.
He spun to face her. His face was etched in one of pure anger for a moment, but then it softened to a concerned frown as he checked her over.
"Are you alright?"
"Yea-yeah." She stammered. "I just feel… weak."
"Then you'd better hang back." He replied. He led her over to some rocks, which would act as cover. He then held her in a small hug. "Stay safe, okay?"
She nodded, then watched as Haru turned to Plue, who was getting up. At the same time, the dragon had steadied himself again. It gave a low chuckle.
"So, you've finally started fighting. I guess you do have a spine."
"SHUT UP! You're the one with no spine for attacking us for no reason. We've done nothing to you!"
Cyndar appeared not to have heard them, as he flapped his massive wings, kicking up dust, and took to the skies. Haru watched him circle for a second before realising he was about to attack. He and Plue dived behind a rock and the massive beast spewed fire across the ground.
Elie peered from her hiding place, to see The Rave Master and his servant glaring defiantly at the dragon. She was awed as she had been before. How could any man be so brave against this?
Haru turned to his friend. "Think you can take me up there?"
"No problem!" Haru jumped on Plue's back, and the beast took to the air. Haru leaned forward, his sword ready to strike.
The dragon saw them coming, and spat another round of fire at him. But using his control over Rave, Haru passed power to Plue, causing him to dodge the blasts with lighting speed. The duo darted toward the dragon, and as they passed under the wing, Haru slashed the scaly hide.
Cyndar howled in pain, bucking in mid air. Plue swung around for another run, but was forced to dive under another blast of flame.
Again, Plue rushed forward with incalculable speed, allowing Haru to cut into the skin as they flew past.
As they escaped to a further distance, Haru noticed that his attacks didn't seem to be doing the dragon much harm. That skin was too tough.
If only he could incapacitate it… an idea formed.
"Plue! Drop me on his back!" He ordered. The guardian's eyes widened, but he didn't speak back, trusting his master had some sort of plan.
He ascended higher, the wind growing ever stronger. Haru looked down to confirm Cyndar was under them. He saw the dragon looking for them in frustration. He also saw the ground was a loooong way down.
"Here goes." Haru thought, and with little hesitation, jumped off Plue's back.


Elie watched breathlessly as Plue soared and darted around the dragon, Haru slashing the creature with the Silfarion. Her earlier fears had settled slightly. Seeing Haru in his element, let her see than even after a year of peace, the boy could still kick some ass.
But she saw that his attacks weren't doing much damage to Cyndar. She wished that she could get up there and help him.
"I don't want him killed just for me." She thought.
She then saw Plue climb to a height above the dragon, and gasped in horror as Haru jumped of the flying beast's back.
She tried to scream, but she couldn't. She watched as her friend plummeted down the sky… onto the dragon's back.
She caught her breath again, but only for a second as Cyndar began to twist his body in the air, trying to knock the Rave Master off. Looking closer, she could see Haru clinging to the roiling monster's back. He raised the sword, and stabbed in into the creature's left wing.
The dragon screamed with a tremendous roar.
For a second, time seemed to stand still, the dragon suspended in mid air. Then it all started again, and the beast fell from the sky, its cargo included.
"NOOOOO!" She screamed. The beast fell at a high velocity. But Elie saw that, moments before it hit the ground, Haru leap off and hit the ground in a roll. Cyndar slammed into the stone, a massive THUD eminating from his crash. Dust flew around her, cloaking her view.
Then it all settled, and her eyes met with the sight of the dragon laying on its side, and Haru groaning painfully.
Se rushed to his side before she knew what she was doing. As he got up, she grasped him in a bear hug.
"You idiot!" She yelled hysterically. "Don't do that again!" She looked into his steel eyes. "Are you trying to get yourself killed?!!!"
"No." He said simply. "I'm trying to make sure you live."
She tried to respond, but couldn't, shock taking over her features. He did all this… to save her miserable hide?
He walked over to the prone body of the dragon. It lay in its side, not moving or breathing. Haru felt saddened that it had died for no reason.
"You stupid animal." He said to it. "There was no need for this."
Suddenly, the yellow eyes flared open. The claws flashed past Haru, knocking him several feet away. As he landed on his back, Elie saw deep scratches had been cut n his chest.
Cyndar was now on his feet. "Hah! You're just like my father. Always underestimated me he did. Well, I've shown him, and I'll show you!"
Instead of attacking, Haru got up and looked at the creature's eyes.
"You do this… to show your father?" He asked. "Show him what?"
"That I am a warrior!" The dragon bellowed. He was slightly confused as to why the human was prying into his life, but he saw an opportunity to strike some fear into him. "He always thought that I was not strong enough to guard the Valley of the Stars. He held me back, and doted on my brothers."
The beast huffed in disain. "So I left, to prove myself to him and myself. I came to this land, this valley, and waited for anyone brave enough to take me on."
He glared at Haru. "You wanted to know why I do this, Rave Master? What drives me to fight, to be a legend? Now you know. Now tell me, what drives you? What inspires you to fight?"
Haru just stared in silence, not about to give this foolish creature a chance to rattle him.
Elie then burst out. "I've had enough of this! Legend, my ass!"
"Elie!" Plue chided. The dragon swung his head around to the girl. She sweated slightly in fear, but kept her angry expression.
"You dare insult me, the legendary Cyndar!!?" Hot breath ruffled Elie's clothes, but she kept her cool.
"If you're so legendary, then how come I've never heard of you?"
The dragon blinked at this.
"That's right. I've never heard of you until today. We didn't come here looking to fight you. We didn't even know you were here. You attacked us first! If I'd read about you in a book, I wouldn't have touched this place with a ten foot pole!"
"But.. I." The dragon spluttered. Haru almost laughed. The petite Elie was shaking up a creature ten times her size.
"And what have you done that's so legendary? Have you saved anyone? Have you protected anything? Have you fought to the death in order to save what you care about? No, you've just sat in this rock and barbecued anyone who picked a fight. You're no legend, you're just a bully!"
She pointed toward Haru. "He's a legend! He's sacrificed so much for everyone, and never asked for anything in return. He saved the planet when no one else was able to. He gives a damn about the people around him, and does all he can to help. That is a legend!"
Tears trickled down her cheeks at the strength in her words. She looked over at Haru, who had a bemused, yet touched expression.
Cyndar turned to the teen. "But I have defended this place! I drove out the invaders!" He proclaimed in a desperate tone.
"Why defend this place?" Haru asked. "There's nothing here. Its dead"
"But there is something here." The dragon protested. "Something so strong, villains razed this town to the ground."
This got a reaction from the two. "You mean, you didn't destroy this town?" Haru prodded.
"No. I guess that is the common rumor." Cyndar betrayed sadness in his deep voice. "Several men came to this town a year or so ago. They came to the house you were in, and killed all within."
"Mother…" Elie gasped.
I watched overhead. I had been too late to stop them, but hoped that they would leave the town so I could deal with them. Instead, they then began attacking random house with bombs of fire. There was no pattern, they just wanted the town destroyed. The people fought against them, and I joined in and chased them from here. But it was too late. The town was already gone."
Haru swore he could have seen a tear come from the beast's eye. "The people here once respected me. And I am sure they regard me as a hero."
"I'm sure they do." Haru replied. "But being a hero is more than just protecting a town, and more than just fighting all who challenge you. A real hero does all that and knows that he or she did it not for themselves, but for everyone. Real heroes don't make their whole lives revolve around battle and valor. They experience life for themselves, and fight whenever they have to. When they are needed."
Elie smiled, profoundly impressed by Haru's words. He may act like a goof most of the time, but sometimes, true wisdom shone through.
Then the teen rubbed his head in embarrassment. "Sorry if I sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet here, but…"
"No, you are right."
"I'm just saying.. what?" Haru was surprised.
Cyndar looked remorsefully at the Rave Master. "I thought that by trying to protect this place, I would be regarded as a legend. One to be feared and respected. But no. My legend is as dead as this town. I've been a fool for lying to myself."
Elie stepped closer. "That's true. But we all mistakes. And you can turn your life around."
"How so? This… is all I know."
"Well.." Elie clicked her fingers. "You could go back to the Valley of the Stars and make peace with your family. They probably miss you." Or if you really do want to be a hero, you could go out there and help people, like Haru did." She smiled. "But its your life. You do with it as you see fit. Just make sure it counts for something."
The dragon looked thoughtful. "Yes. I should go home. My real home. And then.. forge my own legend"
He bowed his head. "Thank you Rave Master."
"No problem." Haru said humbly. "Well, we've got to continue on our way…"
"Wait!" Cyndar spoke. "Take this. I feel I should give it to you in gratitude."
The dragon reached under his wing, and extracted something. Holding out his fore arm, Haru saw a small piece of glowing gold metal, shaped like the dragon's scales. He gently took it.
"What is this?"
"This is a Dragon Esper. With it, you can channel the spirits of dragon warriors of the past, and use their power to aid you."
Haru stared at the small object in bemusement. "Seriously, this will give me dragon powers?"
"You don't have to use it if you do not believe in it, but please accept it, as a token of our battle." Cyndar pressed.
Haru smiled. "Of course. And n return, I'll tell them about how you tried to save this place. Make sure people get their stories straight."
"Then this is goodbye. Farewell, Rave Master." He turned his head to a bemused Elie. "And thank you."
Then with a flurry of dust, the mighty beast, took to the air, and flew off, ducking low toward the mountains.
Elie and Plue walked up to Haru, who was looking at the Dragon Esper with a look of awe. She touched his shoulder.
"You think he'll be okay."
"Yeah." Haru smiled. "He's a fighter. He just needed to know that there's more beyond fighting."
He examined the Dragon Esper. "How on Earth is this thing supposed to work?"
Plue looked closer at the glowing piece. "It seems to react to your magic. Try to summon its power the same way as you do with Rave."
"Okay." Haru said, a bit unsure. He grasped the object tighter, and concentrated on it. Immediately, he felt a new strength flowing into his arm, travelling into his body.
Then, there was flash of bright light, blinding Elie and Plue. As they opened their eyes, they gasped.
Standing in a slightly smoking circle, Haru looked like… well, Haru. Except now, scale like armour had manifested on his arms, shoulders and legs, coloured a rich crimson. Also, connected to the back armour, was a set of proportional dragon wings, which swayed slightly in the wind. Haru inspected his new wares with the grin of a child at Christmas.
"Cool."
"Haru…" Elie choked. "You.. look amazing."
"I feel amazing too." Haru studied the armour. "It's like I've been to the gym for years."
Elie moved closer, and rubbed Haru's arm, feeling muscles through the bare skin. "At least you don't look like it. Never did like muscle men."
Haru blushed. It was a usual kind compliment from Elie, though he wasn;t sure what she was implying from it. He noticed that she was staring into his eyes. He somehow… felt honoured by her admiration of him. He always tried to remain humble about himself
"Hey, I got wings too!" Hastily changing the subject, he pointed toward the large wings. "Wonder if I can fly with these?"
At that instant, Haru suddenly lifted off the ground like a rocket, and shot into the air. Elie watched in shock as the teen ascended, then shot down screaming, only to shoot back up at the last minute. Haru then darted around the sky, out of control. Inwardly, Elie found it rather comical, but she was worried for his safety.
Plue shouted up. "Master, calm down! You have to control your thoughts! That's how it works!"
Listening, Haru collected his thoughts, and tried to relax. This Esper thing couldn't hurt him.
He slowed down, eventually hovering. Feeling a bit sick, he looked down, and was astonished to see he was floating above his friends on the high mountain. Spinning around, he could see the entire town, the mountains around it, and even Platiax City in the far horizon. Then it hit him.
"I'm flying. Holy crap, I'm flying!" He thought about moving forward, and instantly, he was there. It was so simple, like walking.
Elie smiled as she watched Haru loop around the crater. The joy on his face… even for a hardened warrior like him, he could still laugh and enjoy life. He did some somersaults, making them look extremely easy. He then started making swimming motions on his back. She giggled.
Then he crashed into a wall and fell to the floor.
She wailed his name and rushed over to him, Plue close by. She knelt down and supported him in her arms.
"Are you okay?" Haru heard her sweet voice echo in his ears.
He opened his eyes, and was met with the wonderful sight of her pale face. Her deep amber eyes stared at his with rapture and concern, her hair fanning her face. It was what had brightened his mornings ever since this trip."
"Speak to me! Are you okay!?" She said more urgently. Regathering most of his senses, he smiled.
"Waking up to an angel like you, never better."
She blushed, and helped him up. "No more flying lessons for you."
Haru staggered and leaned against Plue. The dragon armour faded away. "Yeah, I guess we can do that later." He pocketed the Dragon Esper. "We should head towards Platiax now." He glanced at Elie a hurt expression in her eyes. "That is, if you feel up to it."
"Of course." Her eyes were downcast. "But… there's one thing I need to look for first before we go."


Haru wasn't surprised when Plue landed at the place Elie had been looking for. A cemetery.
It wasn't a proper cemetery, the gravestones were simple crosses made of wood, with name inscribed on them. Clearly, this had all been done after the destruction of the town. He seethed inwardly, wondering whether Helix, or whoever he worked for, had been behind it.
He walked over to Elie, who was kneeling at one cross. Haru didn't have to look at the name. He just kept his eyes on the sad girl.
"I'm sorry that I can't remember you." She spoke softly. "But I promise, I'll find the temple and get back my memories. I'll do it for you."
She stayed there for a few seconds, before Haru touched her shoulder.
"You ready?"
"Yeah."
She picked herself up, and the three walked alongside toward the grassy plain before the mountains.
"Hey Haru." She piped up. "What was that thing your father said before he died?"
"Though we are apart, you are always in my heart?" He said.
"Yeah." She sighed. "I feel the same."
Haru smiled slightly. No explanation needed there.


"Bugger me! We had quite an adventure today, eh mate?" Kady prodded Willis in the ribs. Leaning against the helicopter, the suited man rounded on the hunter.
"You say that one more time, and I might get Tower to oblige!"
"You're a stressy little clod, aren't you?"
Willis was about to knock Kady's teeth out, when Helix returned with the remaining soldiers.
"The house was attacked. There was no sign of them."
"Too bad mate. That dragon must have gotten them. They're chopped suey now." Kady frowned.
"No." Helix growled. "This kid is powerful. He would have beaten that thing."
"You think he survived a fight against a dragon?" Kady was incredulous. "Wish I had your faith."
Helix stepped up into the craft. "Kady, find the nearest populated place from here. I've got a feeling that's where they're headed."


A few miles from the town, The camper van was parked next to a cliff face, as Angela worked on the engine.
"I guess all these hills overheated it." She spoke from under the bonnet. "Give it a few minutes to cool, and we'll be okay."
"Good." Ethan replied. "Unless a dragon comes to stop us, we should catch up to them.." He chuckled slightly.
From his position on the roof, Griff frowned. "You're not still going on about that dragon, are you? Look, I've seen them all in the Valley of the Stars. They wouldn't come this far inland. That story, its an urban myth."
Suddenly, there was a rush of wind, a flapping sound, and before they knew it, a giant dragon landed heavily on its feet, facing the group.
"Holy…" Musica gasped.
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Griff screamed. He bowed down. "Take whatever you want, but don't hurt the face!"
"Griff!"
The dragon spoke, its deep voice silencing them all. "I do not wish to fight. I was wondering what you are doing, coming to this dead place."
Musica steeled his nerves. "We're looking for friends."
"You seek the Rave Master?"
"Yeah!"
"I have seen him only a few minutes ago. If you are looking for him, he is headed towards the city of metal, north from here."
"City of metal?"
"Platiax City." Ethan answered. "A large city based on technology. Very secretive."
"That is where he said he would be heading. I hope that you are not the ones hunting him." The dragon raised an eyebrow.
"We're not!" Griff pleaded.
The dragon huffed. "Then I wish you luck in finding your friend."
Then it flapped the large wings, and took off into the sky. They watched in awe as the mighty beast darted into the horizon.
They were silent for a while, before Ethan spoke. "Odd. I sensed.. a longing to go home from it."
"You sure it was from him?" Musica pointed at the sky, then at the quivering Griff. "Or him?"
"Hey, we all panic, right?" Griff defended.
"You're fired."


Night had fallen over the mountains, and the only light on the cliff top where they now rested was the flickering fire Haru had made. The Rave Master had placed a pot of instant mix hot chocolate from his bag above it, and now watched the pot intensely with his servant and friend, waiting for it to be ready. He glanced over at the hunched figure of the girl he was preparing it for. She sat near the edge, the wind moving her bright hair.
"Poor Elie." Haru murmured. "No one should have to go through what's happened to her."
Plue stretched and looked at his master. "Can I ask something?"
"Sure."
"I've noticed… when you and Elie were together in the hunt for the Rave, you were always joking with each other and arguing the same way you do with your friends at school. Yet these past few days, you've been more affectionate to her, I can't see why."
"Well duh!" Haru huffed. "Considering all that's happened. I have to be gentle with her. She needs a friend." He checked to make sure she hadn't heard.
"I know. But you do it when she is happy as well. You tend to act toward her the same way Ethan acts toward Angela, or Soladio acted toward Remi…"
"So I do." Haru retorted rapidly. Plue's questioning was getting intrusive, but he had to admit, the guardian was right. He had been giving Elie great affection lately. He felt that, after missing her for so long, seeing her smiling face and experiencing her happy attitude had brought back a part he was missing since his first quest. He looked at Plue, who was waiting for an answer.
"You want to know why? Well, I guess I like seeing her smile. When she does.." He sighed. "It's like the whole place lights up when she does. It makes you feel good… to know that she's happy and that you're happy also." He brushed a hand through his hair. "Its… not really something you can put in words."
Plue smiled. "I think I understand." He then looked at the pot. "I think its ready."
Haru grasped the handle. "Why don't you get some sleep?"
Plue nodded, and returned to his normal body. He plodded off to the tent, as Haru deftly poured the chocolate into two mugs and then walked softly over to Elie.
She felt his presense, and directed her shining eyes on him. Almost immediately, Haru felt warmer by their stare. He handed her the cup… and watched in astonishment as she guzzled the drink of her favourite vice is a second flat.
"Got any more?" She asked cutely.
"Damn, you really like this stuff." He handed her his mug.
"I only eat or drink it like that when I'm excited." She said, smiling. "It helps me relax."
" I thought it did the opposite." Haru laughed. He expected some rebuttal, but instead, Elie was silent. And shivering slightly.
"You cold?" He asked, concerned.
"Nah, I'm fine." She replied. Her voice then took a lower timbre. "Just fine."
Haru shook his head. He had been trying to hear Elie's words, and found himself gazing at her face and figure. Time and time again, it astounded him just how one girl could look so great and put so little effort into it. It was even greater not to be conceited and fawn about her body like it was the best thing she had going. In a way, her cheeriness added to the beauty…
"You know, you never answered his question?"
Haru returned to reality. "What?"
Elie leaned closer to him, prompting Haru to place an arm around her shoulders. "Cyndar. He asked you what drives you to become a hero." She held his hand, warming it up. "So, what does drive you?"
Haru fidgeted slightly at the touch of Elie's pale skin on his hand. She began lightly tracing up and down his arm with her fingertips. The sensation was pleasant, and he lost track of time before coming up with an answer.
"It's the people around me." He grinned. "Never mind all the glory and fame. As long as I know that my loved ones are okay… that's what drives me."
Elie watched him in silence. "Your loved ones, huh?"
"Yep." Haru then stood up. "Hey listen Elie-chan, you can have the tent tonight. I'll sleep outside."
"You sure?" Elie was surprised at this.
"Sure. It's not too cold. You just rest easy."
She blushed under his gaze. It showed concern and friendship all in one. She beamed a smile. "If you insist… Haru-maki."
His eyes crossed over into a confused expression, which always made her chuckle. "Haru-maki?"
She shook slightly. "Y..Yeah. I figured you need a nickname… and that one sounded good. I mean, if you don't like it.."
"No Elie-chan. Its fine. Thank you." He kept that grin of his, as he walked off and grabbed his blanket.
Elie finished off her chocolate, watching Haru settle under his blanket and nod off as his head hit the ground.
She sat there for several minutes, just watching him sleep. Finally, she got up, padded softly over, and knelt down next to him.
She placed the back o her hand against his face, and stroked it gently, brushing his hair as her hand moved up.
She then felt the presence of Plue walking up to them. She turned to the creature, his small head showing concern.
"Plue, can I talk to you? Just as you are, you don't have to transform."
Pleased that he didn't have to talk, Plue walked closer, and let Elie pick him up and cuddle him. Her eyes never left Haru.
"I don't know what to do Plue." She spoke softly. "This whole thing is crazy enough, but at least I know that I can get my life back if I try. But even if I get it back… it won't mean anything unless he's there."
Plue's brows crossed. Why was Elie talking about his master in this manner? He now saw small tears coming from her eyes.
"When Cyndar took him, I'd thought I'd lost him… and I realised… I need him." She sighed sadly., and touched the Rave Master's face again.
"I love him. I love him so much it hurts. He's so kind and gentle with me. He tries to get himself killed just to save me." She crossed her arms over Plue, still staring at Haru. "No one has ever done as much for me as he has."
Plue placed a paw on the girl's palm. He understood the need to have a person close to you. After he had been reborn after the Overdrive, he had pined for his old master, Shiba. And his current master was his closest friend. It was hard to imagine life without Haru. But with Elie, it seemed to run much deeper.
She continued talking. "I want to tell him… but he only seems to like me as a friend." She chuckled slightly. "He's so thick headed, he can never see I'm coming on to him." She sighed. "But if that's as close as I can get to him for now, then that's fine. I just can't be without him."
She stroked his face once more, then lifted Plue to her face.
"Thanks for listening, little pal. I just needed to say it. But please, don't tell Haru."
She put the creature down, then tip-toed to the tent.
Sitting next to his master, Plue pondered. Elie loved Haru. And it was possible Haru loved Elie, from the way he acted toward her. Yet, they both seemed oblivious to the love they radiated to each other.
He was no expert of the heart, but it seemed obvious to Plue that keeping silent about it was not the solution. Then again, Elie has sworn his silence. And the current time was not one for romance.
He settled down to sleep. Maybe after this was all over, his master and his friend would be able to realise their attraction to each other.
After all, what was the worst that could happen?