Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ The Coming of Another War ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: (Pouts) Two chapters and only one review. How pathetic am I? This chapter is officially re-written. Anyway, thanks to my only reviewer.
 
Hoshiko Megami: You know something? I'm surprised you've haven't flamed me for making the girls Goddesses.
 
Disclaimers: I own nothing, except Merci's sorceresses.
 
Chapter Summary: In the Sanctuary, Chione contemplates on what Apollo had told her some days back before heading out to Onogoro Island to meet up with the Sarans.
 
Chapter 2: The Coming of Another War
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
“Captain, are we really going to forfeit our plans?” a pilot asked Sato.
 
The lead pilot nodded.
 
“Yes. From now on, we pledge our allegiance to the Goddess.” he replied.
 
“Understood, Captain.” the pilot saluted him.
 
“What? Change of heart?” Dearka asked when Sato appeared beside him.
 
“Do not get me wrong, pilot.” Sato replied.
 
“My men and I are only stopping what we started. The Goddess would want that.”
Dearka rose an eyebrow, “So now, you're with the Goddess.”
 
At that remark, Sato shut off the connection.
 
Only if you knew who she really is… he mentally added.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“They're helping out?” Captain Talia replied, not believing what Rey had reported.
 
“Yes Commander. It seems that Chione's appearance had changed their mind.
They're now fighting for her.” Rey reported.
 
“Chione? As in the `Peacemaker'?” Captain Talia asked.
 
Rey nodded.
 
“So, the Goddess has appeared in the battlefield.” Chairman Dullindal nodded slowly
in consideration.
 
“From the reports, it would seem so.” Captain Talia remarked.
 
“But how, I do not know.” she added.
 
“She is a Goddess after all, Captain. The power of the Gods are not to be underestimated.” Chairman Dullindal warned.
 
“Of course, Chairman.” Captain Talia agreed.
 
“She is said to be benevolent.” Arthur Trine pointed out.
 
“From what I've heard, she is.” Cagalli answered, from her seat.
 
“She also has the power of the people on her side.” Captain Talia added.
 
Cagalli frowned slightly and answered, “She does.”
 
“You don't seem happy about it, Representative.” Chairman Dullindal pointed out.
 
“Or have you known who she really is?” he asked lowly.
 
At the question, Cagalli's hands tightened into clutches.
 
Chairman Dullindal let out a knowing smirk.
 
Cagalli gritted her teeth as she tried to clam herself. She had known about the true identity of the so-called Snow Goddess two years ago when she came to sign the Junius Treaty. At first, she was in all agreement for the Goddess to act as the `Peacemaker', but when she saw who the Goddess really is, Cagalli retrenched her
support.
 
Cagalli mentally cursed; it wasn't fair! After all this time, everyone had assumed that Merci Yamato was dead, and now she reappears before them as the reincarnated Goddess!
 
She was lucky Athrun was not present, otherwise he would had recognized her.
 
“Penny for your thoughts, Representative?” Chairman Dullindal asked, cutting her mental rantings short.
 
Cagalli blinked and shook her head.
 
“I'm fine.” she replied.
 
Chairman Dullindal gave her a sceptical look.
 
***************************************************************** ****
*********************
 
“Goddess.” the Head Seer greeted.
 
“Have you found them, Seer?” Chione asked.
 
“Unfortunately no, Goddess.” the Seer answered regretfully.
 
Chione sighed.
 
“Goddess!” one of the guards came into the prayer room.
 
“The sensors detect a huge fleet of Mobile Suits heading towards the Sanctuary.” she
reported.
 
Chione's eyes widened.
 
“Nani?”
 
Rushing out along with the guard, Chione continued her questions.
 
From the guard, she found out that they had identified the Mobile Suits as those belonging to the Elite pilots of the Blue Cosmos.
 
“After 17 years, they've finally come for me.” Chione realized.
 
17 years ago, the Blue Cosmos had sent their assassins to kill the reborn Goddess. They had failed at that time, when one of the younger sorceresses took the baby Goddess away and hid her away with the Yamato family. The elder sorceresses had erected a mystic wall around the Sanctuary, preventing the Mobile Suits from entering.
 
“Goddess…” the guard looked at her in worry.
 
“Tell the Sorceresses not to put up a shield. I must see why they've come.” she replied.
 
The guard bowed, “Of course, Goddess.”
 
Then, she hurried off.
 
Retrieving her staff from the prayer room, Chione hurried to the courtyard.
 
The pilots in the Mobile Suits were pleasantly surprised to find out that there was no barrier as anticipated. They were even more astounded to find their target was patiently waiting for them.
 
Chione's waist-long hair flayed around her from the winds when the Mobile Suits loomed over her.
 
“So, you've come out to be slaughtered?” the head pilot sneered at the girl.
 
“Has Djibril order you to eliminate me?” Chione questioned, unfazed at the huge enemy forces.
 
“Eliminate is a harsh word, girl. Assassinate is a better word.” the head pilot replied.
 
“Prepare to die!” he added, lifting up his rifle gun and prepared to shoot.
 
Chione shut her eyes in preparation for the inevitable.
 
The shots glazed past her, without leaving a mark.
 
“Nani?” the head pilot was astonished. He could not believe he had missed. The target was so close!
 
“Is… Is… This the power of the Goddess?” one of the enemy pilots stammered.
 
At that, the Head Priestess stepped out and pulled the Goddess away.
 
“Goddess, you do know that is dangerous.” the Head Priestess hissed in warning.
 
“Yes I do.” Chione answered.
 
“Then?” the Head Priestess pressed.
 
“Even if they failed to kill me now, they'll kill me in the future.” Chione replied.
 
“Goddess…” the Head Priestess trailed, not liking where this is going.
 
“Goddess, there're a number of Mobile Suits heading to the Sanctuary!” a guard reported.
 
“Do not worry. They're our comrades who had come to protect the Sanctuary.” Chione replied.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Back on the battlefield…
 
“Attacking the Sanctuary is an unforgivable sin.” a new voice interjected.
 
“Destroy them!” the head pilot ordered.
 
“At once sir!” the troops answered in unison and they took off to the skies.
 
On the other hand, Sato gave orders to his men.
 
“Protect the Goddess and defend the Sanctuary at all costs!”
 
“Roger!” the troops replied.
 
After an intense battle, the enemy Mobile Suits were defeated by Sato's troops.
With the battle over, the GINN High Maneuver Type II units landed in front of the
Sanctuary and Sato exited from his Mobile Suit.
 
Assembling before Chione, Sato and his troops knelt before the Goddess.
 
“From now on, we, the pilots of the GINN High Maneuver Type II units, will pledge allegiance to you, Goddess.” Sato announced.
 
Chione nodded, and stepped forward.
 
“I acknowledge your pledge, warriors.” she replied.
 
Then, she went towards Sato and held out her hands.
 
“Arise, minna.” she added.
 
At the command, Sato rose to his feet.
 
“Merci-san, is that really you?” he asked, in disbelief.
 
Chione smiled and nodded.
 
“Hai, Sato-san. It is me.” she confirmed.
 
“I am sure you are all exhausted. Then, please reside in the villages near the Sanctuary. You will be informed if your assistance is required.” she added and rose a hand.
 
A couple of women guides appeared and bowed to the Goddess, awaiting their orders.
 
“Escort these warriors to the villages near the Sanctuary where they can rest.” she remarked.
 
“At once.” the lead guide replied and backed off.
 
Rising a hand, she added, “Please gentlemen, this way.”
 
With Sato and his troops gone, Chione gave orders that the Mobile Suits are to be situated in the nearby forest, hidden by a cloaking spell. In addition, she ordered that Sato and his troops be informed where their Mobile Suits were and if the need arises, the spell must be dispelled.
 
“Goddess, we have a transmission from Chairman Dullindal. He insisted that it is of urgent matter.” a guard reported.
 
Chione nodded and went back in; Apollo's words still ringing in her mind.

Flashback
Why haven't you appeared until now?” Chione asked her guest, pouring tea for the Sun God who had appeared before her some days before.
Since it's time.” Apollo replied, taking his cup in his hands. “So I've come to take you.”
It's time?” Chione echoed.
Chione, you should know it. In the times of controlling by all Gods, humans violated the order of all Gods and filled the lands with sins and dirt. Our father 'Zeus', in order to punish all humans held a great flooding.” Apollo added.
Chione said nothing, her mind returning to the time of the Silver Millennium.
Now on land, there're these ignorant humans, turning it as full of desire, hate and jealousy, making all evil surround the globe. So I have come down again, to clean it. Then turn the control of this world to all Gods.” Apollo continued.
This world will become extinct in the name of God. Chione realized.
Give me some time to settle my personal affairs first. Then, I'll return with you.” Chione stated firmly.
Apollo looked at the stern Goddess of Snow and nodded, “Fine. I'll give you the time you need.”
End of Flashback

Some time later, the Minerva had docked into Orb's docking facility at Onogoro Island.
Cagalli disembarked first, and a young man named Jona Roma Saran ran up to her, hugging her. His father Unato Ema Saran warned him to control himself because he was startling the ZAFT officers. Talia and Arthur introduced themselves, and Unato thanked them for protecting Cagalli.
Just then, the camera flashes turned their attention to a newly arrived vehicle. Athrun mentally hid a gasp of surprise when he saw who had arrived. Chione graciously stepped out of her transport and walked over to the Sarans.
“Ah, to what do we own this pleasure, Lady Chione?” Unato inquired.
“I wish to give my answer to your proposal, Mr. Saran.” Chione replied.
“Oh?” Unato raised a curious eyebrow. “I'm surprised you came to an answer this quickly.”
“Due to... unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to make a decision quickly.” Chione explained.
Giving Jona a bright smile and a small curtsey, she added, “I formally accept your marriage proposal, Mr. Saran.”
Jona beamed brightly, “Really?”
Chione nodded, her smile never leaving her face.
Turning to face the stunned Unato, she remarked, “I do assume you have no qualms about the re-opening of L6, Mr. Saran.”
“L6?” Unato raised a skeptical eyebrow, “The Colony of legend?”
Chione nodded, “Yes, the Colony which I am ruler of and your son will be its proud co-ruler once we are married.”
Unato thought for a moment, “We'll discuss this in greater detail after this, Lady Chione.”
“Of course.” Chione smiled.

“Why do you wish to re-open Colony L6 after 22 years of establishment?” one of Unato's men asked.
“I have no wish to declare war, I merely wish to once again open the doors to the people of the colonies and the Earth. In fact, I plan to extend our businesses and to also open our spaceports. I also wish to discuss these matters with all of you as to implement the legal procedures if the citizens of Orb and the EAF shall allow my proposal.” Chione replied.
Turning to Unato Saran, she added, “I assume you are the only one in this room who remembers the Silver Alliance.”
Unato, slightly confused ,rubbed his temples and said, “If what your saying is true then…show us…the documents of the Silver Alliance.”
“Mr Saran, what are you talking about…there are no documents!” said a man.
Unato just glared at him and looked at Chione motioning her to do so.
Chione got a key and walked away from the video phone, later she returned with a worn out box with the symbol of Mercury imprinted on it, she opened it and brought out yellowish papers with the blue seal of the Andersons.
“How did you...” Unato was stunned.
“Allow me to reintroduce myself gentlemen. I am Merci Anderson, daughter to the late Herbert and Iris Anderson.” Chione stood and and bowed.
Amazed gasps were heard all over the conference room.

That evening, as Athrun drove along the coast, he stopped when he spotted Kira with Lacus and the orphans. The orphans ran up to Athrun and asked him a load of questions about what he had been doing. Athrun questioned them about their house, and they told him it was destroyed by a wave. Kira then asked him where Cagalli was, and Athrun replied that she was busy at the administration building. Lacus waved them off to go ahead without her, so the two drove off.
Athrun informed Kira about the things that Sato said to him in space. He recollected a conversation that he had with Kira and Dearka two years earlier about how they know what they're fighting for. Kira had said they were search for the answers together, and two years later Athrun still felt that he had not found that answer.
That night, Lacus was watching the news when she stammered, “Erm guys, you might want to look at this.”
Both Athrun and Kira ran to the living room to see what had spooked her.
“What the... MERCI?” Kira shouted incredulously.
“I too could not believe my eyes.” Lacus admitted.
“But I thought…” Kira frowned. “She was dead.”
“She isn't.” Athrun replied.
“Huh?” both Kira and Lucas turned to him.
Athrun related what happened at Onogoro Island.
“Wait a minute, she's marrying Saran?” Kira exclaimed in disbelief.
Athrun nodded mutely.

The next day, Cagalli took a moment out of her busy schedule to speak with Athrun.
She confessed that she was not comfortable with Unato's idea about "whom to share pain with", which she viewed as basically a way of joining up with other countries that hate PLANT. Athrun informed Cagalli that he was heading back to space because he was worried about the situation in the PLANTs. He believed in Dullindal, but he did not want to sit around doing nothing.
Before departing on a Heli, Athrun reminded Cagalli curtly that dead or alive, Merci will always be the only girl he loved.
Cagalli gasped and clutched her hands into fists. It was apparent that Athrun knew that Merci was alive.
Athrun's shuttle took off and headed for space. Unato then informed Cagalli that the Atlantic Federation and several other groups had made a list of demands for ZAFT. They warned that if the demands were not met, they will categorize ZAFT as a threat to humanity and use military force.
At Aprilius One, Chairman Dullindal presided over a meeting of the Supreme Council. They were currently debating the strange demands made by President Copeland, including compensation, disarmament, and the resignation of the Supreme Council.
Some of the council members suggested they should mobilize the military, but Chairman Dullindal replied if they do that they would simply be repeating history. One of the members countered that they had to do something because of the activity at the lunar base. Chairman Dullindal added that mobilizing their military would aggravate the situation, but by the same token the horror of the Bloody Valentine incident was still too fresh in many people's minds. Although he wanted to continue negotiating for peace, Chairman Dullindal reluctantly decided to mobilize ZAFT.
In space, ZAFT ships and mobile suits began to coordinate their formations. Yzak and Dearka came aboard the massive carrier ship Gondwana. Meanwhile, Athrun arrived at a PLANT and met up with a representative who briefed him on the grave situation. Elsewhere, dozens of battleships had begun to launch from the Alliance's lunar base.

From his compound, Djibril opened a hotline with the White House and questioned Copeland how much longer until the attack began. Copeland consoled him that they could not rush into anything because there were quite a few nations opposed the Atlantic Federation's most recent actions, namely the Sanctuary. Djibril did not think anyone could oppose them, but he also wondered if Copeland was afraid of Orb.
He explained that the world is a system that must be managed like a garden, and the appearance of weeds detracted from its beauty. They must remove the weeds so that no one will oppose Logos' plans to create a new world system.

Meanwhile, Chione was on a space shuttle heading to Aprilius One.

SailorStar9: Finally after a long period of non-commitment, I've got my butt down to type this chapter out. Read and review.