Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ Sword of the Blue Skies ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: A new chapter up and only one review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Pouts). Anyway, this is Chapter 16. I'm adding the Starlights and Princess Kakyuu into this as well. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a SEED mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will extinguished by a fire extinguisher.
Chapter 16: Sword of the Blue Skies

In space, the Alliance and ZAFT were waging a mobile suit and ship battle in Earth's orbit.
“Just what in the world is going on?” Djibril demanded.
“You should be aware of it yourself.” President Copland replied through his monitor. “You brought this up when our plans weren't completed yet, and on top of that, the damage caused to us was... and yet we forcefully started a war, just as you said, but all our attacks were dodged and before we knew it, we were at a stalemate. At this rate, people will start rebelling everywhere. It's not surprising that the alliances we tentatively formed will start to deteriorate.”
“I wasn't asking about things like that!” Djibril retorted. “I'm asking about what you people are doing in the face of such a situation? We riled up the citizens for you with our chants of 'Beat, exterminate, and defeat the Coordinators'. Do you intend t o let the flame die?”
“Djibril...” President Copland hissed.
Standing up, Djibril added, “In the end, the weak will always side with the more powerful. The victor is labeled as just! Rebellions are occurring everywhere because you let things like the situation in Western Eurasia go on for too long!”
“But we have our hands full as well!” President Copland protested. “And besides, your Phantom Pain hasn't been able to score any significant victories anyway!”
“But...!” Djibril objected.
Then, he thought of something, “That's right! There's Sanc!”
“What?” President Copland asked.
“Once we kill the accursed Peacecraft girl, Sanc will be under our command. We'll reinstate the Sarans as Representatives of ORB. ORB's forces should be significant.” Djibril noted.
“Yes...” President Copland agreed.
“In the main time, we'll just dispatch our forces to the Black Sea, under the command of the Sarans, so that they can defeat ZAFT as a responsibility of being a part of us.” Djibril suggested. “The Sarans can't say no to that anymore.”

“To the Black Sea?” Todaka asked.
“That's right. In compliance with our treaty, we will be dispatching a detachment of forces to the Black Sea in order to defeat ZAFT. The flagship will be Takemikazuchi. I will be going as the supreme commander.” Jona replied.
“Yes sir...” Todaka replied.
“I'm counting on you.” Jona added, leaning forward. “This time, for sure.”
“Yes sir!” Todaka and his two officers saluted.

Back on the John Paul Jones, Neo was walking towards the living CPUs' regeneration chamber when he heard a commotion.
“No! You can't! You can't take this!” Stella protested. “Go away! Don't touch me!”
“Ah, okay, okay.” one of the technicians soothed. “We won't touch you anymore.”
“Sorry about that.” another technician apologized. “We won't take that away from you.”
“What's wrong?” Neo asked as he went in.
“Neo!” Stella turned to him.
“Oh, it's nothing.” one of the technicians replied.
Going up to Neo, he added, “We just thought we'd take a look at the wound on her leg before we put he to sleep. But she got angry as soon as we took that handkerchief off.”
“Oh, so that's what it is.” Neo noted as he walked towards Stella. “I'm sorry Stella. You'll be fine. No one will take it away from you.”
“Really?” Stella asked as Neo stroked her hair.
“Of course.” Neo replied. “Nobody in this world would take something important away from you, Stella. So relax and rest well.”
“I personally feel like an evil old man.” he admitted as the three pilots underwent their memory-erasing process.
“'Nobody in this world would take something important away...” he quoted. “You do it so well every time. I wonder if we're better off with or without memories. I sometimes wonder about that. For her to make that much of a commotion... something significant must have happened.”
“That's true.” one of the technicians agreed. “It seems someone left a strong impression on her. Well, I'm sure we can erase that. I think those three are happier without their memories. For a battle machine who only fights enemies when they are ordered, unnecessary emotions will just get in the way. It's make them less efficient.”
“Yeah, I know.” Neo replied. “No matter what they learn or think, they can't do anything about it.”
“It'll make things hard for you if you become emotionally attached to them.” one of the technicians reminded Neo as he prepared to walk off.
“It's all because I let them go out to town.” Neo replied. “I'm sure a lot has happened to them, but I'm counting on you to perform meticulous maintenance on them.”
“Yes sir. The technician replied.
“For someone like her, who is so afraid of death, the only way to stay alive is to keep defeating her enemies.” Neo remarked as he stepped out.

Back in Sanc, Heine's GOUF Ignited was being loaded onto the ship.
“ZGMF-2000 Gouf huh?” Yolant noted as the mobile suit was being loaded.
“We're sure getting a lot of new mobile suits.” Vino agreed.
“Here's the manual. Make sure you look through it carefully.” Aves told his technicians as he handed out the technical manuals.
Meanwhile, after reporting to Talia and Arthur, Heine was led away by Athrun to meet the other pilots.
“I am Rey Za Burrel.” Rey saluted.
“Ah, the pilot of the Blaze Zaku Phantom.” Heine remarked. “I'm Heine Westenfluss. It's nice to meet you.”
“But the Minerva is sure top of the line.” he added. “It's a large difference from a Nazca Class.”
“Yes, well, that's true.” Athrun replied.
“Were you on a Nazca Class until now, Commander Westenfluss?” Lunamaria asked.
“You can call me Heine. Don't be so formal.” Heine told her. “Isn't that a basic for a ZAFT pilot? You're Lunamaria, right?”
“Ah, right.” Lunamaria blinked.
“I was at the military headquarters until now. I even participated in the opening battle in the war.” Heine added.
“Commander, what are we supposed to do” Shinn asked Athrun.
“Commander Westenfluss is more experience than I, Shinn.” Athrun told him.
“Heine.” Heine corrected.
“Oh, but what was that? Do they call you 'Commander'?” he asked Athrun.
“Ah, well, yes...” Athrun stammered.
“He is in command during battles, so we call him as such.” Rey supplied.
“What?” Heine was surprised. “But I don't think it's such a good idea to build a wall around him like that. Aren't we ZAFT mobile suit pilots all the same once we're out on the battlefield? Whether you're in FAITH, wear a red uniform, or a green uniform? Aren't we different from the idiots of the Earth Alliance who can't fight without being given orders?”
“Yes.” Athrun agreed.
“That's why it's fine for all of us to be on the same standing.” Heine pointed out.
“Oh, or could it be that you guys are bullying him because he's a re-enlistee?” he joked.
“Oh no.” Athrun protested.
“No, we're not doing such a thing.” Shinn added.
“Well then, don't call him something like 'Commander'.” Heine chided. “You're at fault too Athrun. Why can't you tell them to call you by name?”
“I apologize.” Athrun replied.
“Well then, the five of us are a team from now on. Let's go with our tempo matched up.” Heine suggested.
“If only I could be like him...” Athrun remarked as he stepped beside Shinn. “But it's a little difficult...”
“Commander...” Shinn blinked.
“That's Athrun, Shinn.” the older pilot reminded him.
“Hey, what are you doing, Athrun?” Heine called out to the two deserters. “Aren't you supposed to be bringing me around?”
“Oh, I apologize.” Athrun replied, quickly running over.

In the southern part of Africa, Yuna's fleet led by the carrier Takemikazuchi crossed the Cape of Good Hope. As Jona vomited into a bucket from seasickness, Amagi noted, “The sea is getting pretty rough.”
“This is just the beginning though.” Todaka replied. “Will it take us an hour before we make it through this?”
“Yes.” Amagi agreed. “This isn't that big a low pressure system to begin with. But I never would've expected to be going around the Cape of Good Hope.”
“It can't be helped.” Todaka told him. “The stage is the Black Sea. I'm guessing we won't have any spectators if we fight on the Indian Ocean, even if our opponent is the same.”
Amagi nodded, “Although I probably shouldn't say something like this, I can't help but have doubts about this dispatchment. Not invading other nations, not tolerating an invasion by another nation and not becoming involved in another nation's dispute. That was supposed to be the ideal ORB and us, the former ORB military. And yet... sometimes, I feel the Peacecraft Princess might be right afterall.”
“Yes, I know.” Todaka agreed. “But in a way, this is also protecting ORB's ideals. The Sanc's ideals are just one step further. I don't think the Peacecraft Princess will disagree. And in reality, we've placed our hopes on the Archangel and the Peacecraft Princess, that the Sanc's ideals will be protected by them. If they can't stop this in time, let's hope that Princess Peacecraft will at least be watching our battle somewhere in this world.”
“Yes sir.” Amagi agreed.

Back on the John Paul Jones, Neo had just received his orders.
“Hmmm, a dispatchment of forces from Headquarters huh? And its members are former Orb military.” he echoed. “One carrier and six escort vessels. Their plan is to enter port by sunset tomorrow.”
“Hmmm, so they want us to take back the Black Sea using those forces.” he noted. “They're certainly making things difficult for us. We have so much to do.”
“Yes...” his vice-captain agreed.
“Well, never mind. I understand.” Neo added. “Afterall, all we need to do is have control of that area.”
“What is this...?” Stella asked as she looked at the handkerchief in her hands in bewilderment. Getting up, she discarded the cloth in her pod.

As the Jona fleet arrived its destination, a photographer took pictures of the fleet.
“Commander.” one of the soldiers reported. “This is the information from Suez.”

“What? Is this for real?” Miriallia was astonished .
“Yeah. There's no doubt.” her source replied. “Suez is getting reinforcements. A battle is going to start up again soon. I can only hop there won't be any damage to the populated areas.”

Back on the Minerva, Talia was briefing Arthur, Athrun and Heine .
“We still don't know whether they'll be attacking Gibraltar or here.” Talia commented. “But if they're getting reinforcements at this time, it's probably safe to assume that they're planning a retaliatory strike. They probably want to re-establish the supply route to Suez. The headquarters agrees with me. But we won't know until the time comes... as always.”
“Yes...” Arthur noted.
“What kind of a force does Suez have other than their new reinforcements?” Heine asked. “That is, just how large of a force will we be facing?”
“Aside from numbers, there's that Earth Alliance carrier that we encountered on the Indian Ocean.” Talia replied.
“That team that's been using the stolen units?” Arthur was stunned.
“That's right.” Talia replied. “So, it'll be a little tricky. I'm guessing that they'll be coming too.”
“The stolen units... does she mean the ones from Armory One?” Heine asked Athrun.
“Yes, that's right.” Athrun replied.
“Either way, this ship will be launching. We will be leading the front line at the entrance of the Sea of Marmara, the Straits of Dardanelles.” Talia instructed. “We will depart at 0600 hours.”
“Yes madam!” both Arthur and Athrun chorused.
“Will that be okay with you as well?” Talia asked Heine.
“Yes, of course.” Heine replied.
“Well then, I will start preparing for departure immediately.” Arthur remarked.
“Yes please.” Talia told him.
“And Athrun.” she stopped the pilot of Savior.
“Yes?” Athrun asked.
“I hear that the new reinforcements the Earth Alliance received this time is commanded by Jona Roma Saran and the crew are from the former ORB military.” Talia informed him.
Gasps were heard.
“I hate to say it, but that man and the soldiers who follow him are now part of the alliance.” Talia reminded him.
“The Sarans...? That's...!”” Athrun was stunned.

The Archangel crew was too shocked at the news.

“But the prevention of further advances by the Earth Alliance in to the Black Sea is an order given to all ZAFT forces in the area.” Talia told him. “We can't avoid this battle. There's just no way. That man and those who follow him are now part of the Earth Alliance. Do you understand?”
“Will you be alright?” she asked.
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
In his room, Shinn placed the seashell Stella had given him into a bottle.
The next morning, preparations were underway.
“Runway Number Three is clear.” a technician declared. “The Zakus from the Hamilton area are to rendezvous with the Naraba.”

In the mess hall...
“What? ORB?” Shinn was shocked when Lunamaria told him.
“That's right.” Lunamaria replied. “Their reinforcements are apparently from the fractured military remains of ORB.”
“No way... why is that...” Shinn gasped.
“It's really unbelievable for them to come out all this way.” Lunamaria noted as she swallowed her food. “But those guys are part of the Earth Alliance afterall. I guess that is understandable.”

Meanwhile, Athrun stood on the observation deck, his mind going back to Kira, Lacus and the orphans, to meeting up with Merci once again and her accepting him back into her life and heart.
“So you were in ORB.” Heine interrupted his thoughts.
“After the war...” he added. “I hear it's a nice country. And an even better country after Princess Peacecraft took over.”
“Yes, that's right...” Athrun confessed.
“It's pretty nice around here too.” Heine replied.
“Yes...” Athrun admitted.
“You don't want to fight them, do you?” Heine asked.
At Athrun's look, he elaborated, “With ORB's former fleet that is.”
“Yes...” Athrun admitted.
“Then who do you want to fight against?” Heine asked.
“No, I don't want to fight against anyone in particular.” Athrun replied.
“Oh really? Me too.” Heine remarked. “That's all there is to it. Come to understand that. We're in a war right now, and we're both in the military. Otherwise... you'll get yourself killed.”
“Yes...” Athrun replied.

Back on the John Paul Jones, Jona had met up with Neo.
“I see.” Jona noted. “The Black Sea and the Sea of Marmara.”
“Hmmm, if it was up to me, I'd confront them around here.” he added, pointing his pointer on a spot on the map. “We'll just have to take down their ships as they exit the straits. I believe it'll be the best to think it that way.”
“Yes.” Neo nodded.
“Although I hear that ZAFT has the Minerva, we can take them with proper planning. If that ship is their cornerstone, then their forces will go into disarray if we can take it down.” Jona added.
“As to be expected from the former ORB's Supreme Commander. It's heartening to hear that.” Neo complimented. “Well then, I'll ask your forces to lead the battle. We'll have your forces divert them to the sides, and we'll strike them from their flanks.”
“Ah yes. That's the most beautiful way to do it.” Jona praised.
“I'm sure they'll move away from the straits as soon as they exit.” Neo predicted. “I'm counting on your forces to take proper care of them.”
“Yes, you can count on us.” Jona assured him. “We'll show you what the ORB's military is capable of.”

Elsewhere, Miriallia was readying her camera.

“Distance to the Straits of Dardanelles: 3000.” the Minerva's radar captain declared.
“Issue Condition Red.” Talia instructed. “Close off the bridge. Prepare for anti-ship and anti-Mobile Suit battle.”
“Preparing for anti-ship and anti-Mobile Suit battle.” Arthur conveyed the instructions.

As Shinn and Athrun suited up, Athrun noticed Shinn was angry.
Running after him, the older pilot asked, “Hey Shinn, what's wrong?”
“It's nothing.” Shinn replied. “Even if it's the fractured military remains of ORB that we're fighting against, they're part of the Earth Alliance now right?”
“Didn't you actually used to like ORB?” Athrun asked as the two entered the lift. “Isn't that why it makes you angry? The current Sanc... the former ORB that wasn't able to protect your family at Onogoro?”
“That's not true!” Shinn protested.

“Alright, should we get started?” Jona asked as his fleet entered into position. “Initiate Operation Twilight of Dardanelles.”
“Huh?” both Todaka and Amagi were confused.
“Oh, you don't know about it?” Jona asked. “Dardanelles is the son of Zeus and Electra, and that's where the name of the straits come from. It's from Greek mythology. Doesn't it sound cool for an operation name?”
“Begin launching the mobile suit squadrons.” Todaka instructed.
“Begin launching the mobile suit squadrons.” Amagi conveyed the instruction. “The first, second and fourth squadrons, launch.”

Back on the John Paul Jones, Neo too gave instructions, “Activate the Igelstellung. All weapons free.”
“They sure are lively.” Neo's vice-captain remarked. “And after all they had traveled all this way.”
“It's because they have something they want, even in their desperation.” Neo replied. “Such people are really powerful. Let's just hope they'll fight their best. I really hope we can finally sink that ship this time.”

Back on the Minerva, the radar captain reported, “Heat signatures confirmed at 1 o'clock. Count: 20. they are Mobile Suits. Suits identified. ORB's military Murasame and Astray.”
“Launch the Savior and the Impulse.” Talia instructed. “Rise out of the water. Turn 10 degrees to port.”
“Shinn Asuka,Core Splendor, launching!” Shinn declared.
“Athrun Zala, Savior, launching!” Athrun announced.
In mid-air, Shinn combined with the other Flyers into the Force Impulse Gundam just before the ORB fleet attacked.
The two Mobile Suits dodged the battleships' missiles and Shinn immediately threw himself into the ORB Mobile Suit fleet.
“Crap!” he cursed, his mind recalling how his family was killed as Athrun's question triggered something.

Flashback
Didn't you actually used to like ORB?” Athrun had asked
End of Flashback

“Damnit!” he called out. Pulling out his laser sword, he slashed through one Mobile Suit after another.

On the sea, Jona's battleships were firing at the Minerva.
“Turn 30 degrees to port.” Talia instructed. “We will take aim for the Tannhauser.”
At Arthur's look, she explained, “We'll blow them away once we're no longer blocking off the straits. There should be that carrier behind them.”
“Yes madam.” Arthur replied.

From her spot, Miriallia realized that she was in a treacherous position and she quickly changed her viewing spot.

Meanwhile, a passenger plane bearing the stigma of Sanc flew towards the battlefield.

“What are they doing?” Jona demanded. “The enemy has only two Mobile Suits. Hurry up and corner them! Launch all the Mobile Suit squadrons!”
“Huh? But that's...!” Todaka gasped.
“We just need to isolate and surround them. If we do that, even those suits will fall!” Jona reasoned. “This is an order!”

Neo watched the battle with great interest, his viewing screen showing that the three pilots were bored out of their minds.

“Damn!” Athrun hissed as he dodged an attack from behind.
Shinn let out a war cry as he slashed through yet another Mobile Suit.

“Please stop this battle immediately!” Merci called out from the loudspeaker in the passenger plane. “Do not embroil this country into war!”
“Kakyuu, please fly in closer. At this distance, we won't...” she requested.
“It's too dangerous.” Kakyuu replied. “They're already in the heat of battle. Lady Merci's words won't get through to them.”
“Such a dangerous era and such dangerous weaponry. These weapons will cause the sufferings of humanity.” Merci sighed.

“Tannhauser, firing solution obtained. Alright activate!” Talia instructed. “Target: the enemy escort fleet!”
“Yes madam!” the cannon captain replied. “Activating the Tannhauser. Targeting the enemy escort fleet. Primary artillery bank contact. Generator output nominal. Safety canceled.”

“The enemy vessel is preparing to fire its positron cannon!” one of the officers of Jona's fleet reported.
“Evasive maneuvers! 20 degrees to starboard!” Todaka instructed.

“Oh no!” Kakyuu gasped. “The Minerva's Tannhauser has locked onto ORB's escort fleet and we're in it's path.”

“Fire!” Arthur instructed.
Just then, a beam rifle destroyed the Tannhauser before it fired.
“What was that?” Lunamaria inquired.
“What? Where did that come from?” Shinn asked.
In response, the Freedom flew down from the skies.
“What...?” Shinn gasped at the sudden appearance of the Freedom.
“Freedom... Kira!?” Athrun, too, was shocked.
Both Merci and Kakyuu stood proudly on the left open palm of the Freedom.

SailorStar9: Well, that's it for now. Read and review.