Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ Wandering Eyes ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


SailorStar9: A new chapter up and only one review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Pouts). Anyway, this is Chapter 15. Well, you guys want Athrun-Merci interaction, so here it is. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a SEED mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will extinguished by a fire extinguisher. The lyrics 'Yong Gan De Xing Fu' aren't mine as well.
Chapter 15: Wandering Eyes

Moments after the Chairman had gone, Meer took this opportunity to cling onto Athrun's arm. Just then, the pair heard soft singing somewhere from the back of the lavish gardens.
Athrun focused and let out a mental gasp when he recognized the song; their song.

Meanwhile, Merci had set up a crystal harp somewhere in the gardens. Taking a deep breath, she lifted her fingers and started playing. As the first notes came in, she began to sing.
Ban zhu sheng kai de hua hu die cai neng fei wu
Dai zhu xi wang meng xiang cai neng fei wang gao chu
Ying zhu wen nuan de feng wo men bu zai wu zhu
Yin wei ni de zhu fu wo de ai bu xin ku

Shrugging off Meer, Athrun spirited towards the direction of the song. He reached the small thicket just as Merci finished the last sentence and the navy-haired pilot cut in.
Hu xi gan dong wo bu zai tui bu
Rang yin yue gan zou wo de gu du
Wo de yong qi yin wei ni de bao hu
Bu ceng ting xia zhui zhu zhen ai de jiao bu
Barely containing her emotions now, Merci sang along with him.
Zhong xia ai zhong xia meng zhong xia wo men de xin yuan
Rang yang guang zhao liang zai wo men xin ling zui shen chu
Na xie shi na xie ge ban zhu wo men de shi yue
Bu neng ku wo men yao tiao zhan wei zhi luu tu
Bu pa shu wo men you xiao sheng jiao zhi zhu lei shui
Zui yong gan de xing fu
As the last note died off, Merci's fingers left the harp strings. She stood up from the stool she sat on and looked at the pilot; her Prince as her mind flashed back to the promise he made to her so many years ago.
And he broke that promise. Merci reminded herself. At the last thought, she turned to go, but Athrun was not about to let her slip away again. From the emotions she put in that song, he knew she still remembered what they had shared.
Walking swiftly towards her and breaking into a short run, he grabbed her wrist to prevent her from leaving. As she was jerked backwards, something fell from the pocket of her dress and onto the grass. Th two childhood lovers bent down to pick it up and Athrun's eyes widened at the sight of the collar pin; the Zala family crest, the one he had given her upon his promise that she was his Princess and he would protect her forever.
“That...” he gasped.
Merci looked away.
“'You'll meet a girl you love very much when you grow up. Unless you believe in her, she will lose everything because of you, including her life.'” Athrun quoted.
“You know.” he added. “I still remembered what the old grandmother said, in the forest.”
Merci was startled for a moment.
“I never forgot that promise.” he commented, pulling the girl into the tight hug.
“Lair!” Merci screamed, weeping on his shoulder.
“Merci...?” Athrun was confused.
“Then why did you go to her?” Merci accused.
“If you meant Cagalli...” Athrun replied. “When she told us that you were on the 'Death' list, she had hoped that my heart would have been sufficiently crushed that it would have been so simple for her to step in and comfort me, becoming an instant friend, no doubt a future wife and successfully replacing you, for the action. But Kira refused to believe you were dead. He knew Cagalli was shedding crocodile tears. ”
“Yes, I saw a bit of you in her.” he confessed. “But she isn't you. She lacks the compassion and benevolent heart you have, or being firm about what you believe in. She had none of that.”
Kissing away her outraged tears, he declared as he slipped a ring onto her finger, “I love you Merci. I always have.”
Noting her non-resistance, Athrun took a bold step and pressed his lips against her, kissing her deeply. Merci moaned deep in her throat, feeling him pressed against some part of her body as the pilot drew her closer, their bodies molded into one.

The next morning, Stellar was playing in the sea water as Auel went out to the balcony to watch her. Sting was in the room, typing furiously on his laptop.
The Chairman had finally concluded his business and took off in a VTOL craft.
Athrun awoke, only to find himself in Merci's bedroom. Peeling off the bedsheets, he was surprised to find the silvery-blue-haired girl out of bed.
“Your inner clock still sucks, you know that.” Merci rebuked jokingly as she exited from the bathroom.
“Ha, ha.” Athrun remarked sarcastically.
Just then, Meer knocked on the door and asked Athrun if he would like to join her for breakfast.
As Athrun scrambled to put on his pants, Merci answered the door.
She informed Meer smilingly that Athrun would be coming down later with her.
Seething, Meer demanded who Merci was and what was she doing in the room of her fiancé.
Merci plainly replied that Athrun was no longer engaged to her since his father had already broken off the engagement before reminding Meer pointedly that it was her room, not his.
Meer screamed in rage and stormed off.
“Nice.” Athrun commented, his eyes twinkling.
A freshly-showered Merci shrugged, “What else to deal with over-zealous ex-fiancées who just didn't get the hint?”
Athrun laughed, before coming forward to hug her from behind.
“And of course, my over-protective snowflake.” he whispered, nuzzling her neck.
Merci let out a satisfied moan, sinking her back into his body.
“As much as I want to continue this,” she moaned as Athrun moved his hands over her frontal assets.
A grumble in Athrun's stomach confirmed her suspicions.
“I'm sure you're starving.” she smirked, breaking free of his hold.
The pilot blushed and went in to the bathroom.

In the dining room, Heine was sipping his drink when Shinn and Lunamaria entered the hall.
“Yes, he's a busy man after all.” Lunamaria remarked. “It's really miraculous that we were able to speak with him yesterday like that.”
“Ah yeah...” Shinn noted.
“I'm envious of you, Shinn.” Lunamaria complained. “Not only do you get such praise yesterday, you have the day off today as well. You must be so happy you can dance.”
“What's wrong?” Shinn asked.
“Nothing.” Lunamaria replied.
“You two.” Heine cut in. “Aren't you the Minerva's rookie pilots from yesterday? Where's the one who's in FAITH?”
“Please excuse us. Good morning.” Lunamaria greeted him in salute. Shinn followed suit.
“I believe the Commander is still in his room.” she replied.
Just then, Meer stormed into the dining room.
“Good morning, Lacus-sama.” Heine stood up and greeted Meer.
“Oh my, good morning.” Meer let out a fake smile.
“Thank you for your hard work yesterday.” Heine remarked. “The soldiers who were docked temporarily here were overjoyed. This should raise their morale.”
“Were you able to enjoy yourself as well, Heine-san?” Meer asked, as she tried to control her anger.
“Yes, madam, of course.” Heine replied.
Just then, Athrun and Merci walked into the dining room. At the sight, Meer huffed in anger and left when her aides informed her of a meeting she must attend.
“What was that about?” Lunamaria was puzzled.
“I see.” Heine let out a knowing smile. “I understand now. Thank you.”
Turning to the pair who were walking towards the small group, he addressed Athrun, “Since things were so hectic yesterday, I haven't been able to properly introduce myself to you.”
“I'm Heine Westenfluss of the special forces.” he introduced. “It's nice to meet you, Athrun.”
“The pleasure is all mine. I'm Athrun Zala.” Athrun returned his handshake.
“I know. You're a famous figure.” Heine remarked. “But it was only recently that I heard you've re-enlisted. You were with the Klueze Team before, right?”
“Ah yes.” Athrun replied.
“During the war, I was with the Hawkings Team.” Heine supplied. “Looks like we missed each other at Jachin Due.”
“So, with the three of you and that blond from yesterday, that's four of you in all?” he asked as he took his seat.
“The pilots of the Minerva that is.” he clarified.
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
“Impulse, Zaku Warrior, Savior.” Heine rattled off the names of the mobile suits while pointing to the respective pilot. “And that guy is in the Blaze Zaku Phantom?”
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
“And you're a member of FATIH, right? And the Captain is too?” Heine inquired, pointing to Athrun.
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
“Although you don't have a lot in terms of numbers, you have more than enough in terms of military capability.” Heine voiced out. “So why is the Chairman telling me to join such a ship?”
“You're boarding the Minerva?” Athrun asked incredulously.
“That's right.” Heine confirmed. “I'll be assigned to it as soon as our shore leave ends. I'll be going over to the ship later to introduce myself. But to have three FAITH members in one place seems like a bother.”
“Um... no...” Athrun stammered.
“Well, never mind.” Heine waved his comments aside. “Once you're on the scene, all you can do is to run with what you have. And different people see things differently too. Either way, it's nice to meet you all. The Chairman has high hopes for the Minerva. Let's try to meet his expectations.”
“Yes. I'm pleased to meet your acquaintance.” Athrun remarked.

“Well then, what should I do today?” Lunamaria mused outloud as the group saw Meer away.
“Huh? What do you mean?” Shinn asked, going after her.
“Those two...” Merci let out an amused chuckle.
“No more matchmaking for you, Snowflake.” Athrun joked.

“I want to go out to town, but it'll be boring by myself.” Lunamaria complained as she walked to the lift. “Since I feel sorry for Rey, maybe I'll go back to the ship.”
“Why don't yo go out with Shinn?” Athrun suggested as he and Merci approached the two.
In the lift, Athrun added, “You have the day off. You should use it to relax. I'll return to the ship, so you don't have to worry about a thing.”
“Huh? But...” Shinn protested.
“That's right!” Lunamaria fumed. “The Commander is okay. After all, he's already spent a lot of time together with Princess Peacecraft.”
Both males looked at her.
“Lunamaria!” Athrun scolded.
“You belong to FAITH, Commander.” Lunamaria added. “It wouldn't be a problem even if you done that.”
Just then, the lift opened.
“Wait a minute, Lunamaria!” Athrun called out after her as the female pilot stormed off.
“Please go ahead.” he told Shinn.
“Oh, okay.” Shinn nodded.
“You're misunderstanding things and I don't want you to be acting the way you are right now because of that..” Athrun told her once Shinn was out of earshot.
“A misunderstanding?” Lunamaria echoed.
“Yes.” Merci interjected.
“I'm sure you heard the gunshots last night.” she looked at the female pilot who merely nodded.
Pointing to Athrun, she added, “He was close enough to the vicinity to protect me.”
“Dispatched the assassins quite easily too.” Merci gave her reunited lover a side-glance. “When he offered to stay with me to fend off another attack, I refused. But he insisted and I quote 'What kind of guest would I be when I can't even protect my hostess?'”
“Can't say I can argue with that logic.” she shrugged.
“I don't think there was anything to misunderstand, but I understand.” Lunamaria nodded. “I'll be more careful with my accusations from now on.”
With that, she saluted and walked off.
“Your people skills still need work.” Merci teased once Lunamaria was out of earshot.
“Not helping.” Athrun complained mildly.

Back in the main market of Sanc, talk was abound.
“But I sure was surprised that PLANT's Chairman would come down himself.” one of the commoners remarked.
“Yeah, and I heard he's going to tour some of the other towns around here with Lacus Clyne.” his companion added.
“We fought them during the last war as bitter enemies, but look at the situation now.” another commoner commented. “Life sure is hard to predict.”
“I'm a little scared of Coordinators, but they're definitely better than those Earth Alliance brutes.” a woman remarked.
“They're such gentlemen!” her companion agreed.

Back with Athrun and Merci, the reunited pair after being left alone, faced each other.
“So, you're going back then.” Merci commented softly.
“Yeah.” Athrun replied.
As they walked towards the Government building's entrance, Merci remarked, “You know, I was worried about having soldiers appear in Sanc. But I guess I was worried for nothing.”
“I can understand how you feel.” Athrun offered. “Sanc is afterall a pacifist country.”
“This is it then.” Merci said gently once the pair arrived at the entrance and a car drove up before them.
Athrun nodded.
“Take care.” she told him, giving him a quick farewell kiss on the cheek.
“You, take care of yourself.” Athrun reminded her flatly and climbed into his ride.
“Yes father.” Merci joked.

Back on the Minerva, Talia was going through Heine's data.
He's not just a regular reinforcement. She mused. Honestly, what is that man thinking?
Athrun, having gone back to the ship, was looking through his computer.
Lunamaria was in her room, buckling up her belt as she prepared to head out.

Shinn had gotten a motorcycle and was cruising along the road on the shoreline of Sanc as he thought back to the conference yesterday and the events before.
Finally stopping on a cliff, he took in the sea air. His attention was however caught by a singing and dancing Stellar on another cliff. Letting out a small smile, he turned away, only to be alerted when Stellar let out a small yell before falling into the ocean.
“Hey...? don't tell me...” Shinn was shocked. A split second later, he ran along the side ledge towards the cliff Stellar was previously standing on.
“No way! She fell in!?” Shinn was stunned as he looked over the cliff's ledge and saw a drowning Stellar in the sea.
“She can't swim? Damnit!” he hissed, as Stellar was struggling in the ocean.
Ripping off his coat, he jumped into the sea to save her. Swimming towards the drowning Stellar, he caught her by the waist and with great difficulty, pulled her up to the surface. Flailing about, Stellar scratched him with her fingernails, causing the two the fall back into the water again.
“Damnit! Calm down.” Shinn told her.
After a while, Stellar calmed down, floating on her back, with Shinn still holding onto her waist. Then, the two climbed up to swallower waters, with Shinn supporting the blond girl.
“Do you want to die, you idiot!” he scolded. “What were you doing in a place like that without paying attention when you can't swim?”
“No...! I don't want to die...!” Stellar gasped, backing off from the swallow water.
“No!” she screamed, going back out.
“Hey wait! What is it?” Shinn called out after her.
“No! I don't want to die! I'm scared!” Stellar cried as she waded further out.
“Hey, wait! I'm telling you, don' go!” Shinn called out, as he followed her.
“I don't want to die! I'll die if I'm shot!” Stellar wept as she struggled in the water. With an elbow jab, she accidentally knocked Shinn into the water.
“This girl...” Shinn wondered, his mind going back to the horrors the civilians faced during the war.
“No! Not that!” Stellar wailed as she flailed about in the water.
“I'm scared! I'm scared of dying!” she cried, before falling back into the water.
Shinn pulled her back and drew her into a hug.
“Okay I understand. You'll be alright. You won't die.” he assured her. “Don't worry. I'll... I'll protect you.”
“I'm sorry.” he apologized as Stellar sobbed. “It was my fault. I'm really sorry. It's okay now.”
As the sun set, the pair climbed back onto a sea cavern.
“It's okay.” Shinn told the crying Stellar. “It's alright now. I'll... I'll protect you.”
“Protect...?” Stellar echoed.
“Yeah.” Shinn nodded. “So you're okay now. You won't die. No matter what.”
“Protect?” Stellar repeated, bringing Shinn's hand onto her cheek.
“That's right. Protect.” Shinn nodded.
“Are you okay? Aren't you cold?” he asked her as he bandaged her head.
“Did you cut ourself on a rock?” he asked, kneeling when he saw Stellar's bleeding ankle. “Does it hurt?”
Taking out his handkerchief, he bandaged her ankle.
“But what should we do now? She can't swim.” he wondered outloud.
“I don't know what they're doing to say about me later, but I guess it can't be helped.” he noted and activated his emergency beacon.
As they waited, Shinn built a fire to dry their clothes.
“Do you come from this country?” he asked. “What is your name? Do you understand me?”
“Name... Stellar.” Stellar replied slowly. “Country... I don't know.”
“Then who are you usually with?” Shinn asked as he prodded the fire. “Your father? Or your mother?”
“I'm with Neo... Sting... Auel...” Stellar replied. “I don't know my father... or mother...”
“I see.” Shinn noted. “ You must've something traumatic happen to you.”
“Traumatic?” Stellar echoed.
“Oh no. I'm sorry.” Shinn quickly apologized. “You're alright now. I mean... I'll stay here to protect you.”
“You'll protect Stellar?” the girl asked. “I won't die?”
“You're safe. You won't die.” Shinn told her.
“Ah... my name is Shinn... Shinn Asuka. Understand?” he introduced himself.
“Shinn?” Stellar echoed.
“That's right. Shinn.” the pilot nodded. “Can you remember it?”
“Shinn...” Stellar let out a small but happy smile.
“Here.” Stellar stood up and retrieved something from her clothes.
“For me?” Shinn blinked, before blushing when he realized Stellar had only her panties on.
“You're giving this to me?” he asked, taking the half a seashell from her hand.
“Thank you.” he added.

Night finally came with Athrun coming in a motor boat.
“An emergency call during your shore leave?” the navy-blue-haired pilot asked. “When you do something, you sure manage to pull it off with flair.”
“Commander!” Shinn called out, coming out of the cavern.
“Just how did you get yourself stranded in a place like this?” Athrun asked.
“It's not that I got stranded.” Shinn protested. “It's just that...”
Just then, Stellar ran out. Seeing the motor boat, she clung onto Shinn's arm.
“She fell off the cliff into the ocean.” Shinn explained. “I rescued her and pulled her ashore here but we couldn't find a way out.”
“Is she from Sanc?” Merci asked gently, looking at the girl. “I could help find her family.”
“I'm not actually sure about that.” Shinn replied.
At both Athrun and Merci's looks, he added, “I'm guessing that she lost her parents in the war and has gone through a lot of scary experiences.”
“I see.” Athrun noted. “What's her name?”
“It's Stellar.” Shinn replied.
“And what about her home? Do you know where she lives?” Merci asked.
“No...” Shinn replied.
Athrun and Merci looked at each other.
“If we only know her name, we have no choice but to take her back to the kingdom and check up on her background there.” Merci remarked.
“Stellar!” Sting's shout was heard next.
“Hey! Stellar!” Auel shouted. “Where are you, you idiot?”
At their shouts, Stellar beamed as she turned back.
After the boat docked, Shinn, Athrun, Stellar boarded a ZAFT jeep and with a driver in tow, headed to find Auel and Sting.
“There they are.” Shinn noted.
“Stop the car.” Athrun instructed.
“Sting!” Stellar called out as Sting's vehicle passed by the jeep.
“Stellar?” Sting turned.
“That's a ZAFT jeep!” Auel exclaimed.
Sting reversed the car and stepped out.
“Stellar!” he called out.
“Sting!” the girl beamed as she jumped out of the jeep.
“Hey, hey. That's a red uniform.” Auel noted as he stood beside Sting. Sting quickly silenced him.
“What in the world happened to you?” Sting asked as Stellar jumped into his arms.
“She fell into the ocean and I happened to be nearby.” Shinn offered. “I'm glad though. There were a lot we don't know about her, so we were at a loss on what to do with her.”
“I see. I must apologize.” Sting commented. “Thank you for what you've done.”
“Well then.” Athrun interrupted as the jeep pulled on its reverse.
“ZAFT has been taking really good care of us.” Sting added.
“Shinn, are you leaving?” Stellar asked as the pilot climbed back onto the jeep.
“Yeah. I'm sorry.” Shinn apologized. “But your brothers are here now. So, you're be okay right?”
“Umm... Hey, I'm sure we'll meet again. Okay?” he quickly added.
“We're going, Shinn. Okay?” Athrun interjected.
“Oh, okay.” Shinn nodded.
“I'm sorry, Stellar!” Shinn called out as the jeep drove off. “But I'm sure... really... that we'll meet again!”
“Shinn!” Stellar muttered.
“Stellar! I'll come see you again!” Shinn promised.
“Shinn...” Stellar looked on as the jeep drove off into the corner.
“Oh man, what a bother.” Auel complained. “It sure gave me a scare. Seriously...”
“Stellar! Hey, let's go.” Sting called out.
“Shinn...” Stellar mumbled. “He said he'll protect Stellar...”
“Stellar?” Sting echoed.
Turning back, she got into the car and Sting drove off.

SailorStar9: Okay, a Shinn/Stellar moment in this chapter. Read and review.