Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ The Hidden Truth ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: A new chapter up and no review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Pouts). Anyway, this is Chapter 14. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a 'SEED' mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will extinguished by a fire extinguisher.
Chapter 14: The Hidden Truth

“This is the Sanc port control.” the port controller voiced over the intercom. “Minerva, maintain your approach. We welcome your arrival.”
“Thank you, control.” the radar officer replied.

“Sanc huh?” Arthur remarked. “Isn't it a beautiful country? I haven't been to a place lie this in a while.”
“We've been through only oceans, military bases and mountains up until now, after all.” Talia commented as she disembarked from the ship along with Arthur. “I'm sure it'll make everyone happy to be able to take a little break.”
“But, what is this about...?” she questioned curiously as she saw a stage put up before them.
“Yeah... I was wondering also...” Arthur replied.
“They are preparing the stage for Miss Clyne's concert.” a gentle voice answered.
Both Talia and Arthur turned to the speaker.
“Captain Talia and Vice-Captain Arthur, I assume?” Merci inquired.
“Yes.” Talia nodded.
“I am Princess Merci Peacecraft. of the Sanc Kingdom.” Merci curtseyed. “Welcome to Sanc.”
Both Talia and Arthur gasped at the young Sovereign before returning her gesture with a salute.
“The Chairman has arrived in Sanc and is waiting for your arrival.” Merci added.

“Hello everyone! I'm Lacus Clyne!” Meer Campbell greeted the crowd as she descended from the skies in the hands of a pink ZAKU Warrior carried by a DINN and a GOUF Ignited.
“Aww! She's starting already? Give me a break!” Meer's manager complained as Chairman Durandal smiled at the proceedings.

Back on the ship, Yolant was awing at the performance as Meer sang the remix of one of Lacus's old songs.
Athrun covered his mouth, stunned, “Meer...”

After she landed, Meer stays in the Zaku's hands and performed a remix of one of Lacus' old songs.
“Hey Vino! Over there, there!' Yolant called out to his friend as the two rushed past Shinn to get into the crowd.
Athrun stood between Meyrin and Lunamaria as he recalled what Vino and Yolant had said about Meer.

Flashback
But her singing style sure has changed.” Vino remarked.
Yolant nodded in agreement, “I'd always thought she'd be better off the way she's doing it now. It seems she's gotten younger, or rather, she's really cute lately. And her outfit is so bold this time!”
And she actually has quite the breasts!” Vino added. “I definitely want to get a poster of her in that outfit!”
End of Flashback

“Were you not aware that she's coming here?” Lunamaria asked.
“Well, yeah...” Athrun stammered.
“Well, I suppose neither of you would have had the time to contact each other.” Lunamaria remarked.
“Yeah... well... um...” Athrun stuttered.
Just then, a technician bumped onto Meyrin and she took this opportunity to jump onto Athrun's arm.
“I'm sorry, someone bumped onto me.” she apologized.
“Hmmm, this place isn't safe. Let's go over there.” Athrun suggested as he led Meyrin away.
Lunamaria frowned as she followed them when Shinn asked Athrun, “Are you okay with not watching?”.
“Well, yeah...” Athrun replied.
“Wow, we sure are lucky.” Arthur beamed as watched the performance backstage with Talia.
“Honestly...” Talia sighed.
Ignoring Arthur's puzzled look, she went forward to Chairman Durandal.

“Thank you!” Meer waved to the crowd after he performance, catching a bouquet of flowers in the process “I'm really happy to be able to meet all of you like this!”
“All of you courageous soldiers of ZAFT! For the sake of peace, I thank you very much!” she added. “And to all of the people from Sanc as well! I'm also hoping that the war will come to an end as soon as possible! For the sake of that day, let us work hard together as well!”
“Lacus-san has really changed, hasn't she?” Meyrin asked.
“Well, that's... yeah...” Athrun stammered.

“What a bother.” Sting complained as he boarded his vehicle.
“Seriously, they all seem to be having so much fun, those ZAFT soldiers.” Auel agreed as they drove off. “So will we continue chasing after that ship?”
“Probably. Well, I bet that's what Neo wans to do.” Sting replied. “But what's really important for us isn't the outcome of this war. Basically it's just whether we get them or they get us. That's all there is to it.”
”I guess.” Auel replied.
“But even now, we've been failing continually these days when it comes to that ship.” Sting remarked.
“It's not like we lost.” Auel objected.
“If we can't win, that's no different from losing.” Sting reminded him. “We need to be able to do it. You understand that, right?”
“Yeah...” Auel replied.
“Failure will not be tolerated by Phantom Pain.” Sting reminded as Stellar laughed happily at the sea birds that flew past them.

As the sun began to set, Talia was in the Sanc Government building.
“Really, you're a man of many surprises.” Talia commented as she approached the Chairman and Merci who were standing on the pavilion of the Sanc's Government office. “To think you would be in a place like this.”
“Did I surprise you?” Chairman Durandal laughed as he turned to face her.
“Yes, you certainly surprised me.” Talia admitted as she saluted the Chairman and the Sanc Princess. Rey, who was beside her, followed suit.
”Well, it's not like this is the first time or anything.” Talia remarked.
“You seem to be doing well.” the Chairman commented.
“I've heard of your accomplishments. I'm happy.” he told Rey.
“Gil...” Rey smiled.
“It's been a while since we've been able to see each other at leisure like this.” the Chairman noted.
Rey's smile widened as he leapt into the Chairman's arms.
After the pilot released him, the Chairman added, “Rey, I would like to introduce you to someone.”
Rey blinked in confusion before he noticed Merci beside the Chairman.
“Rey, this is Princess Peacecraft of Sanc.” he introduced the current Sovereign of the Kingdom to the pilot.
Rey nodded in acknowledgment.
Curtsying before her three guests, Merci added, “IF the three of you would excuse me I'll have to get changed.”
With that, she exited.

Moments later, Athrun, Lunamaria and Shinn arrived at the Government office and were greeted by Heine on the stairway. Noticing his FAITH symbol, Athrun saluted with Shinn and Lunamaria following suit.

After they had seated at the conference table on the pavilion, Talia asked,. “Have there been any movements in the Atlantic Federation? If not, yo wouldn't come out all this way on your own.”
Merci had already joined them some time ago, now decked in a long and wide-sleeved Roman white gown with a fan hair ornament droning the side of her head, a white-blue choker was clasped to her neck. An icy blue metal corset completed her outfit.
“Excuse me.” Heine interrupted. “These are the pilots form the Minerva you've called for.”
“Ah, it's been a while, Athrun.” the Chairman greeted the pilot as he got up.
The three newly arrived pilots saluted the Chairman.
“Yes, Chairman.” Athrun replied, taking the Chairman's handshake.
“And you are...” the Chairman turned to the other two.
“Lunamaria Hawke and Shinn Asuka, yes?” Merci answered.
“Oh.” Heine gasped. “I didn't know you would be present, Princess Peacecraft.”
“Princess...” Shinn blinked.
“Peacecraft?” Lunamaria gawked.
“Yes.” Merci let out a gentle smile.
“Welcome to the Sanc Kingdom.” she added, curtsying.
“Oh no...” Lunamaria stammered.
The Chairman smiled at Shinn, “I remember you well.”
Shinn blushed.
“I hear you've been performing great lately.” the Chairman added. “There was even a motion on decorating you. The result of that motion should be reaching your hands soon.”
“Thank you very much!” Shinn beamed, returning the Chairman's handshake.
After they had seated, the Chairman continued, “I hear you performed spectacularly at that Lohengrin Gate.”
“Ooh no, it wasn't anything like that.” Shinn replied as one of the attendants poured tea.
“Even though I hear that your launch at Armory One was your first battle, it's impressive that you've come this far.” the Chairman remarked.
“That was just Commander Zala's great strategy.” Shinn replied modestly. “I was just following his orders.”
“The surrounding towns were also liberated thanks to you all conquering that place.” the Chairman added.. “All of you really did a great job.”
“Thank you very much!” Lunamaria beamed.
“Regardless, the world is in a really complicated situation right now.” the Chairman remarked.
“How are thing up in space?” Talia asked. “The Earth Alliance forces on the moon, for instance.”
“Nothing has changed.” the Chairman replied. “Occasionally, we do have some some-scaled battles, but that's all. And I have no idea what's going on on Earth. There are even places that resist the Alliance and ask us for help. What in the world are we doing?”
“Are there no motions towards ending this war?” Talia asked.
“Unfortunately, no.” the Chairman replied. “The Alliance isn't backing down a step. Although I don't want a war, with things like that, there's nothing we can do.”
“Isn't that right, Princess?” he asked.
“Um...” Merci blinked.
“Take for instance that assassination attempt on you not too long ago.” the Chairman pointed out. “I do believe it was almost five days ago, yes?”
“Yes...” Merci replied.
“Well, although this might not be something to talk about with soldiers like you.” the Chairman turned his attention to the three pilots in front of him. “Finding a a way to solve our problems without fighting is far more difficult than making the decision to fight.”
“But...” Shinn interjected.
“I'm sorry.” he apologized when he realized everyone's attention was centered on him.
“It's okay. I don't mind.” the Chairman assured him. “If there's something on your mind, please don't hesitate to tell me. The opinions of all of you, who fight on the frontline, are valuable to me. I, more or less, had all of you come here because I wanted to hear them. So, go ahead.”
“Like you said, I believe that finding a way not to fight is important. But it can't be helped when there's an enemy threat. You need to fight when there's a need to. Or else, you wouldn't even be able to protect yourself. We are obligated to protect those people who are living normal, peaceful lives.” Shinn remarked
However, if you believe that and 'Kill because someone got killed, and be killed because of killing.'. Will this really bring about peace in the end?” Athrun suddenly asked. “I was asked that once. I was unable to answer that question back then. And I am once again on the battlefield, still unable to find that answer.”
“That's right.” the Chairman agreed.”That's where the problem lies.”
Standing up, he added, “Why do we continue to fight? Why won't wars go away? Even though, people in any era have always screamed that they do not wish for a war.”
“Why do you think that is, Shinn?” he asked the pilot.
“That's because in any era, there are always the selfish and foolish people.” Shinn replied. “like the Blue Cosmos and the Atlantic Federation.”
“Am I wrong?” he asked meekly.
“Well, no. not exactly.” the Chairman replied. “There is some truth to that. You want what others have. That which is different from yourself. You hate them, you fear them, and believe that they are mistakes. It's true that mankind has continually fought for these reasons. However, there is also a more pathetic, hopeless side to wars.”
Both Shinn and Lunamaria blinked.
“Take that unit for example. The ZGMF-X2000 Gouf Ignited.” the Chairman explained, turning to the mobile suit that was standing in front of the Government building. “It just rolled out earlier from the military plant. That's because we're in times of war. New units like this are produced, one after another. On the battlefield, missiles are fired and mobile suits are destroyed. Various things are destroyed. Therefore, the factories create unit after unit, manufacture new missiles and send them into the battlefield. This applies to both sides. The production lines are in such high demand, that the manufacturing isn't keeping up with it.”
“Chairman...” Athrun interrupted.
“Please think about the costs associated with just one of these units.” the Chairman continued. “If you were to think of this as an industry, nothing else in the world would be as efficient and profitable.”
“Chairman, such talk is...” Talia objected.
“But this is...!” Shinn blinked.
“That's right.” the Chairman agreed. “ As long as we're at war, such a thing is obvious and can't be helped. However, it is human nature to think the opposite when you realize that it's profitable. This also cannot be helped.”
“The opposite...?” Shinn echoed.
The Chairman nodded, “Once the war ends, weapons will no longer be needed. That won't be profitable. But if a war would start up again, you could profit again. Then for people, like that, isn't war something that they would definitely want us be doing?”
“But that...!” Shinn gasped.
The Chairman added, “'They are dangerous enemies for us. Let's fight them.'. 'We were fired upon. We can't forgive them. Let's fight them.'. In the history of mankind, there have always been those who shout that to people who initiate wars and use them for their commerce, for the sake of their profits. They, the Logos, are without doubt behind this war also. After all, they are also the base for the Blue Cosmos.”
“That's...” Shinn gasped.
“Logos?” Athrun echoed.
“And that's where the difficulty lies.” the Chairman added. “As long as we continue to be used as pawns by them, PLANT and Earth will continue fighting in the future. If at all possible, I would personally like to do something about it. But that's truly the most difficult.”
Just then, Merci added her two cents.
“I beg to differ.” she interjected.
“Why is that, Princess?” the Chairman asked.
“It's easy to pin the blame on one party.” she replied, standing up and walking towards the Chairman.
“But it takes two hands to clap. Don't you agree Chairman?” she asked the male beside her.
The Chairman let out a wry smile, “Then how do you explain the numerous assassination attempts on you, Princess?”
“The reason, Chairman.” Merci smiled coolly, “My ideals are not accepted, not by the Alliance.”
“Their target is me, or rather, my ideals.” she added. “They could not accept that there may be another way of resolving this conflict; not by war..”
“Not by war, Princess?” the Chairman was amused.
“Yes.” Merci replied.
“Lunamaria.” she turned to Lunamaria. “Do you agree that there will be no wars with no weapons?”
“Well, yes...” Lunamaria blinked.
“Then let me remind you Chairman.” Merci turned back to him as Chione manifested through her. “Athena and I; the both of us have always won our battles without any weapons.”
Then, she added, “Chairman Durandal, if the world is controlled by an someone who has no love or justice in his heart and evil can tyrannize the world, all I can say is this: it doesn't matter if the world is destroyed.”
“What?” the Chairman gasped.
“What is the real reason that we exist in this world?” Chione asked.
“Lady Chione...” Talia blinked in shock.
“But both Athena and I, we always have this belief, as long as we all crave for peace, no matter what, this world will not be destroyed. So, I and my fellow sorceresses have fought against evil and we will continue fighting.” Chione told the Chairman determinedly.
“Amazing...” Shinn breathed.
“Yeah...” Lunamaria agreed.
Talia let out a small smile. Just as expected from the Princess of Peace.
Chairman Durandal was stunned at the firmness of the Goddess's beliefs.
Smiling, he replied, “Now I can see why you are truly the Goddess who guards the land, Lady Chione.”

Meanwhile, Meer's car had arrived at the Government's building the Meer ran out of her vehicle.
“Hey, wait a minute.” her manager called out.
“Is it really alright?” Lunamaria asked, once the conference is over.
“Yes, we're on leave and it's on the Princess's goodwill.” Talia replied. “You should take advantage of this situation and take the opportunity to rest here. You all have worked hard enough to deserve that much.”
“Is that right, Princess?” she asked the girl beside her.
“Yes...” Merci replied softly.
“You should both do that, Shinn and Lunamaria.” Athrun agreed. “I'll remain on the ship.”
“I'll return to the ship.” Heine offered. “Please enjoy yourself over here, Commander.”
“No, that's...” Athrun objected.
“The aces of the Minerva that should be rewarded to are you and Shinn.” Heine replied. “And since Lunamaria is a female, what I'm saying makes sense.”
“Athrun!” Meer cried out, as she ran towards the group.
“Mee...” Athrun stammered, before catching on his mistake.
“Ah, thank you for your hard work, Lacus Clyne.” the Chairman addressed her.
“Thank you very much.” Meer replied.
Running past Lunamaria and accidentally bumping onto her shoulder, Meer added as she hugged Athrun, “I came back right away once I heard you've returned to the hotel.”
“La... Mee...” Athrun stuttered. Merci tried hard not to roll her eyes.
“Did you watch my performance today?” Meer asked.
“Huh? Well, yes...” Athrun replied.
“Really? How was it?” Meer beamed.
“Um, well, yes...” Athrun answered.
The Chairman decided to cut in, “I had just told them to stay here and relax tonight. Please take this chance to dine together for once.”
“Really? I'm so glad to hear that!” Meer beamed brightly. “Athrun, let us make our way to the dining table immediately.”
“Well, before that, may I speak to you for a second, Athrun?” the Chairman requested.

Once they were alone, the Chairman confessed, “Actually, this is concerning the Archangel. I'm sure you've heard about it already right?
“Yes.” Athrun replied.
“Where that ship went after leaving Sanc, I thought that perhaps you might know.” the Chairman remarked.
“No. Although it has been on my mind this whole time, I do not know either.” Athrun replied. “I actually wanted to ask you about it myself, Chairman.”
“I see...” the Chairman noted. “Well, I figured that if the Archangel and the Freedom left Sanc, I thought perhaps the real Lacus Clyne would be with them.”
“Yes, I don't think there's any doubt of that.” Athrun agreed. “If Kira is...”
“Ah no” he corrected himself at the Chairman's look. “If that ship is departing, there's no way they would leave Lacus behind.”
“Given the current situation.” the Chairman added. “I have been searching for her this whole time, to see if she would return to PLANT for us. But could it be that she has given up on us, who continue to repeat these foolish mistakes?”
“No, sorry about that.” he apologized. “But in the future, if that ship is to contact you, will you please let me know?”
“Yes sir, I understand.” Athrun replied. “And please let me ask the same of you, Chairman.”
Noting the Chairman's look, he clarified, “If you find out where they are, please contact me as well.”
“Okay, I understand. I will do that.” the Chairman agreed.

SailosStar9: Well, the Minerva finally docks in Sanc. Happy now folks? Read and review.