Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ The Place of Sin ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: A new chapter up and no review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Wails). Anyway, this is Chapter 18. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a SEED mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will extinguished by a fire extinguisher.
Chapter 19: The Place of Sin

At Kira's question, Athrun was in shock as he recalled the previous conversations he had with the Chairman.
“Athrun?” Merci inquired, breaking him out of his thoughts.
“Well, if Lacus was really being targeted, then it's really become a more serious situation now.” Athrun reasoned. “But for you to say that you can't believe the Chairman and the PLANT because of that... aren't you jumping to conclusions, Kira?”
“Athrun...” Kira frowned slightly at his friend.
“There are people with various opinions on PLANT.” Athrun added. “Just like the perpetrators of the Junius Seven incident. That attack may have been orchestrated by a small group of people the Chairman doesn't know about.”
“Athrun...!” Kira gasped.
“You should realize that!” Athrun rebuked.
“On that...” Merci interjected.
Athrun stopped his ranting and looked at her.
“Sato-san and the rest redeemed themselves when they arrived to protect me when Djibril sent his forces to kill me.” she replied.
“Djibril?” Athrun echoed.
Merci nodded and explained, “Yes, it has been almost 17 years now.”
17 years ago, the Blue Cosmos had sent their assassins to kill the reborn Goddess. They had failed at that time, when one of the younger sorceresses took the baby Goddess away and hid her away with the Yamato family. The elder sorceresses had erected a mystic wall around the Sanctuary, preventing the Mobile Suits from entering.
“And I think I can answer Kira-nii's question.” she added.
The two pilots turned to the Peacecraft Princess.
“Dullindal wants an obedient Lacus Clyne, something he knows the original Lacus would never be. That's why the `other' Lacus on PLANT.” She replied.
“Then…” Kira gasped at her implication.
Merci nodded, “Remove the original Lacus Clyne and replace her with an obedient one. It pretty much ties in to what I've learnt about Dullindal's `Destiny Plan'.
`Destiny Plan'?” Athrun echoed.
Merci nodded and tossed a sealed envelope to him.
“Everything I've learnt up to this point on the 'Destiny Plan' is in here.” she said. “Once you've finished reading, burn everything, including the envelope. We won't want incriminating evidence lying around.”
Looking up at Athrun, she added, “You were there when I told him that if the world was controlled by a someone who had no love or justice in his heart and evil could tyrannize the world, it did not matter if the world was destroyed. From that sentence alone, Dullindal already knows that I know of his 'Destiny Plan'. You didn't see his look after I announced it, but I did: the flash of hatred and malice on his face.”
“Up to this point?” Kira cut in. “Is there anything else you've found out?”
Merci nodded, “Captain Murrue was right when she said the people will rebel. But my aides had dug up some more about the `Destiny Plan' some time back. Dullindal plans to `condition' the people so that they won't rebel.”
“Condition? How?” Kira asked.
“Heard of lobotomy?” Merci inquired.
Kira frowned, “It's a brain operation, right?”
Merci nodded, “Yes. It was originally meant to cure melancholia. After the operation, the patient has no more desire to commit suicide, no more further feelings of guilt and more importantly, obedient.”
“But the success hasn't been a hundred percent.” Kira pointed out.
Merci nodded once more, “But by various operations of grafting and delicate manipulation of the brain, Dullindal has made sure that a state of docility is assured and the will can be controlled without necessarily affecting physical or mental brilliance. His ultimate goal to that is to condition a human being that while the powers of physical or mental brilliance remain unimpaired, he will exhibit perfect docility. Any suggestion made to him will be accepted.”
“But that's...” Kira gasped.
Merci nodded, “Worse than the 'Great Purification' Neo-Queen Serenity proposed.”

Back with Shinn and Rey, Shinn was supporting Rey as they walked out of the facility.

“Well, that's true, but...” Kira objected as he turned back to Athrun, returning to the subject on hand.
“Either way, I'll check on that issue when I get back to the ship.” Athrun promised. “So you guys should return to Sanc for now.”
“So, you're...?” Merci prompted.
“If you don't want to prevent battles... if you don't want Sanc fighting... then do something about that treaty with the Earth Alliance first.” Athrun told her. “It's too late once you're already on the battlefield.”
“That's...” Merci blinked. “So, you're not coming back? To the Archangel? To Sanc?”
Athrun turned away and replied, “As long as Sanc is still the country it once was, we should be travelling down the same road.”
“Athrun!” Merci rebuked.
“I'm re-enlisted. I can't go back now.” Athrun told her.
“But that's...” Merci gasped. “Then you do you want me to do? Dissolve Sanc and hand ORB over to her?”
“I'm not saying that...!” Athrun protested.
“Kira...” Merci turned when her brother placed a hand on her shoulder.
“So, are you going to keep fighting the Earth Alliance as part of ZAFT?” Kira asked.

Meanwhile, after placing Rey in a safe place, Shinn sent an emergency message to the Minerva about the current situation.

“Until it ends, it can't be helped.” Athrun replied.
“Then, will you be fighting against ORB again, like last time?” Kira asked.
“If I could help it, I wouldn't have wanted to...” Athrun replied. “But given the situation, we had no choice but to fight them! You should both know what the Earth Alliance has been doing in this area! We need to stop them!”
“That's why I'm telling you to hurry and do something about that treaty and get ORB to pull out its forces!” he added.
“But Athrun...” Kira interjected. “We know that. But then, we don't want you fighting against ORB.”
“Kira...!” Athrun gasped.
“In reality, it's not just against ORB. Those lost in battles will never come back.” Kira reminded him.
“Don't you dare spit out those excuses as if you're the only one who knows that!” Athrun hissed. “Your hands are also stained with many lives that you've taken!”
“Yeah, I know.” Kira replied. “That's why I'm really sick of things like this.”
“Kira...” Athrun gasped.
“I don't want to fight.” Kira confessed. “Please don't make me fight.

Up top, Lunamaria received a transmission from the Minerva.

Back on the Minerva, Talia was giving orders, “Lift off the water. The Minerva is launching. Angle of ascent: 3.2 degrees. Bearing: 1-0. Check up to procedure 880.”

“Then, there's all the more reason not to fight.” Athrun added. “Stop doing like that and return to Sanc. Got it?”
At that, he turned to go.
“Athrun!” Merci called out.
Turning back, he saw his ring on her finger and added, “Even I... have things that I can understand but can't agree with.”
With that parting sentence, he left.
Stunned, Merci fell to her knees and wept.
Kira placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and Merci threw herself into her brother's arms and cried.
Looking out of the view-screen of the Savior, Athrun added mentally, Be strong Merci, for me and for this world.

Back in the research facility, after the Minerva had landed, ZAFT troops entered the building and discovered many rotting corpses.
“F-2 to all squads, location for the detonation switches confirmed.” one of the ZAFT squads reported.
“F-5 calling to F-1, the second floor is clear.” the squad up top reported.
“Calling F-1, this is F-3.” the third squadron reported in. “They are all decomposed. The stench is horrible.”

“No really. I'm perfectly fine.” Shinn protested mildly as he was being checked up.
“You might say that, but it's just to be safe.” the doctor replied. “Although we haven't detected any gases or viruses around the building at this point, you never know what might come up.”
On the other bed, behind the curtain, Rey was having visions of a younger Durandal and Rau.
“But the Captain was careless for sending just the two of you into such a place.” the doctor added.
“We made sure to check everything before going in.” Shinn replied.
Just then, Rey slid the curtain open and stepped out.
“Rey!” Shinn exclaimed, noting his friend.
“I apologize. I'm okay now. Thank you very much.” Rey told the doctor.
“Really?” the doctor asked. “It's okay for you to rest a while longer.”
“No, I'm really okay now.” Rey affirmed as he put on his uniform.

“We've completed the check of the interior.” one of the squadrons reported. “All the self-detonation devices have been removed, and not biological hazards can be detected.”
“I see. Thank you.” Talia replied.
“Then... I wonder what Rey's reaction means...” Arthur inquired.
“Captain, this is the Savior.” one of the technicians reported as the mobile suit flew in.
“I heard that you launched already when I returned to port.” Athrun said once he exited his mobile suit. “What's the matter? Did something happen?”

Elsewhere, the Earth Alliance and the ORB forces were docked for repairs.
“The stockpile of optical filters in Storage 15.” a mechanical voice reported.
“Hurry up with the attachment of the spare turbine!” one of the chief technicians ordered.
“Resupply squad, please move your car.” another chief technician ordered.
“Well, yeah.” Neo remarked. “We weren't expecting all three of them to be taken out.”
“Yes, but to be honest, fixing them here without returning to Suez is pretty difficult.” the technician admitted.
“I know, but it can't be helped.” Neo replied. “If we were totally defeated, then we would have a reason to go back. But Stella and the others are still healthy.”
“Yeah!” Stella beamed.
“Captain Lorrnoke!” one of the soldiers reported in.
“What is it?” Neo asked.
“It's about the laboratory at Lodonia.” the soldier reported.
“They appeared failed to dispose of it by accident.” he whispered into Neo's ear as the commander walked past. “And to make things worse, ZAFT is there.”
“Hey, hey...” Neo rebuked.
“After receiving that report, it seems that Suez is panicking as well.” the soldier whispered. “But I just thought I'd let you know about it.”
“Huh?” Stella was confused.

Arthur winced at the bloody scene while Talia frowned as she covered her mouth with a cloth.
“This place...what in the world is this place?” Arthur exclaimed as his torchlight shone onto a dead body in a glass cylinder.
“There must have been a mutiny.” Talia concluded. “They must have attempted to self-detonate the facility.”
“But, why are these kids...!?” Arthur inquired.
Athrun stroked the face of a dead child and looked away as Shinn hissed in anger.

“The lab in Lodonia...” Stella echoed.
Both Sting and Auel stopped in their tracks.
“What is that?” Stella asked.
“The lab at Lodonia? Well, of course...” Sting replied.
“That's where we used to be.” Auel replied.
“What are you saying all of a sudden?” Sting asked as the two entered their room.
“Bad things... ZAFT... Neo said...!” Stella mumbled.

Back with the Minerva, Talia was examining the records of a computer in a room filled with brains, when she came upon something. Athrun noticed her expression and came forward.
“C.E 64.7.11: Disposal approved.” Talia recited. “C.E64.8.7: Disposal carried out.”
“What is that?” Arthur asked.
Athrun's eyes widened at the numerous records.
“The experimental subjects.” Talia replied. “The children, that is. It's the record of their destinations. The Earth's Alliance's 'Extended'... you've heard about them, right? They are the living weapons. Humans whose sole purpose is fighting, created using drugs and other methods by the Blue Cosmos and their hatred of genetic engineering. This must be the research and production facility for them. For them to be able to fight against us Coordinators, their bodies were modified and strengthened through medication and other means. They went through combat training, day in and day out, and those unable to adjust or keep up were mercilessly exterminated. This is such a place.”

Back with the three Earth Alliance pilots, Sting and Auel were arguing as Stella looked on.
“Hey! Calm down a little! Auel!” Sting called out, pulling his friend back.
“Why? How can I be calm?” Auel demanded, breaking free of Sting's hold. “Mother's at the lab...!”
At the mention of his block word, Auel broke down, “Mother's... at the lab...!”
“Hey! Auel, you idiot!” Sting rebuked.
“Mother's...” Auel crumbled to the ground. “She's going to die! Mother's... without mother, I can't...”
“She's going to die...?” Stella echoed as she walked aimlessly out.
“Hey now, get a grip! You idiot!” Sting scolded.
“Mother!” Auel cried.
“Damnit!” Sting cursed.
“She's going to die!?” Stella repeated as she walked out. “Death is bad. It's scary.”
“Protect...?” she whispered, recalling her encounter with Shinn. “Protect.”
With that, she took off.

On the bridge, Neo received a call.
“What is it?” he asked.
“Captain Lorrnoke, please come right away!” a soldier reported. “Auel Neider is...!”

“Huh?” one of the technicians was confused when he saw Stella running towards her mobile suit.
“Hey!” another technician called out as Stella entered her machine.
“Open the hatch!” she demanded, turning her unit on. “If you don't, I'll blow it open!”
“Hey, what's going on?” the first technician asked. “Bridge! It's an emergency! Call the Captain!”
“Captain!” one of the bridge's officers reported.
With a war cry, Stella piloted her machine to the Lodonia lab.
“Lodonia... lab... mother... protect...” she mumbled.

“Yes, please take all the data that you can now.” Talia requested. “I'm sure a special team will come later, though. A facility of this magnitude... I can't imagine that the Earth Alliance will leave it alone for long. Bart, please continue to be on the lookout for any enemies in the area.”
“Yes madam!” Bart replied.
Athrun sighed as he watched Arthur ran off to throw up.
“It's seriously unbelievable!” Shinn hissed. “They are doing something like this even though they say Coordinators are beings who go against the law of nature?”
“Shinn...” Athrun blinked.
“Manipulating your genes is wrong, but this is okay? This is allowed?” Shinn continued his rant. “What in the world is Blue Cosmos thinking?”
“You're right.” Athrun agreed.

“You fools! Why did you let her out?” Neo rebuked as he entered the hanger.
Meanwhile, Auel was being pacified by the doctors.
“Mother...!” he muttered.
Stella was racing towards the lab.

“Captain!” the radar officer reported. “There's one mobile suit approaching. It's the Gaia!”
“Is it alone? Is anything behind it?” Talia asked as Shinn and Athrun ran to take their positions.
“No, it's alone at the moment.” the radar officer replied.
“What's going on?” Talia wondered outloud.
“You must defend the facility. Do you understand, Athrun, Shinn?” she instructed.
“Yes madam!” the two pilots chorused and they took off.

“Protect mother...” Stella mumbled as she raced to the lab. With a war cry, she leapt.

Damn you!” Shinn cursed as he flew forward.
“Watch out Shinn.” Athrun warned. “If their goal is to destroy the facility, it might be equipped with a special weapon.”
Gaia fired its lasers in mid-air and Shinn dodged it easily. After that, the two mobile suits clashed in mid-air.
“We must defeat it without blowing it up.” Athrun added.
“What?” Shinn complained. His attention diverted, Gaia took this chance to knock the Impulse back.
“Shinn!” Athrun called out.
“Damn!” he cursed as he landed to meet Gaia head on. The Gaia quickly used its shield to deflect the Savior's laser gun. Turning back to its beast mode, it leapt at the Savior which knocked it off balance before turning into its flight mode.
“Damn it! You might tell me not to blow it up, but...!” Shinn complained.
“Shinn, can you flank it from below?” Athrun asked.
“I'm doing it!” Shinn retorted and the battle raged on as Lunamaria arrived on scene.
Just as the Gaia and the Impulse were decking it out, Athrun fired his lasers at the Gaia's arm. Taking this distraction, Shinn used his laser sword to force the Gaia back. The Gaia then crashed, dragging a trail into the forest.
As the song 'Life Goes On' sounded in the background, Shinn blinked as his camera was focused on the pilot of the Gundam.
“A girl...?” Athrun was shocked.
“That girl...” Shinn gasped as he recognized the pilot. “Stella?”

SailorStar9: Uh oh, Shinn realizes that Stella is the pilot of the Gaia. What will happen? Stay tuned.