Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ A Fleeting Dream ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: A new chapter up and no review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Wails). Anyway, this is Chapter 24. I'm skipping episode 29 since it's a freaking flashback episode. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a SEED mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will be extinguished by a fire extinguisher or used to burn joss sticks.
Chapter 24: A Fleeting Dream

“There's no serious damage to the main engine.” Arthur reported. “However, we sustained significant damage to our hull and weapons.”
“There's no way we can fix this.” Vino remarked as the totalled Savior was brought in.
“So, the Freedom did this?” Yolant asked. “I guess even the almighty FAITH member can't beat that thing.”
“We're also in a tough situation with our mobile suits since the Savior and the Warrior were totalled and the Phantom sustained medium damage.” Arthur reported.
“And Gibraltar is so close.” Talia added. “It's frustrating that we have to wait here once again for more supplies and repairs. But I guess that can't be helped.”
“Yes.” Arthur nodded.
“These battles always leave a terrible aftertaste.” Talia remarked. “And we didn't even lose. Please continue to monitor the air and the sea. I'll leave the rest to you.”
“Yes madam!” Arthur saluted.

On the Archangel, the remaining crew of the Takemikazuchi boarded the ship.
“No, but…” Merci pointed out as the rest of the Takemikazuchi assembled before her.
“'I will take responsibility for what has happened until now. If you consider your life to be already lost, then go to the Archangel.'” Amagi quoted. “'For the sake of those who perished in vain today.' Those were Colonel Todaka's last words.”
“I have no words of apology strong enough for engaging in repeated battles against your orders.” Amagi added. “And losing many men as well as our flagship.”
“However, I beg you.” He continued as he bowed, the rest of the Takemikazuchi crew following suit. “If you can understand and the predicament that Colonel Todaka and we were placed in, please allow us to accompany the Archangel from now on! I beg you!”
“Captain Amagi, that's…” Merci gasped. “So… this is all my fault then. I should be the one apologizing. I'm sorry…”
“Peacecraft-hime…” Amagi gaped.
“Because I was foolish… because I was powerless, the precious men of ORB and their ideals were…” Merci wept.
“Peacecraft-sama…” Amagi gripped her trembling shoulders.
“I… I…” Merci continued to cry.
“No, Peacecraft-hime.” Amagi replied. “No…”
“Kira…” Merci turned to her brother who had stepped forward.
“Please don't cry, Merci.” Kira told her.
Looking at the Takemikazuchi crew, he added, “The only thing we can do right now, is that we can't leave the things as they are.”
“Kira…Yamato…” Amagi blinked.
“But, we don't know what we're supposed to do.” Kira continued. “Neither fighting against ZAFT nor the Earth Alliance is the right choice. We've done plenty of that already. That's why the hatred won't stop. That's why the warfare won't end. It's because we keep on fighting. We might not be doing the right thing. All of us, both PLANT and Earth, probably just want a world where we can live happily. That's why, ummm… if all of you feel the same way, then ummm…”
“Of course, Kira-sama.” Amagi replied, realizing what Kira was getting at. “We did not come here wishing for revenge or simply to fight. We became military of ORB because we believe in King Peacecraft's ideals and that some day, the real Peacecraft Princess will return. In that case, we'd like to fight for the true Sanc.”
“We know that would be difficult.” He added, turning to Merci. “That's why we wish to be with this ship and you, Merci-sama.”
“Amagi…” Merci smiled.
“I understand.” Kira nodded. “I apologize for my impudent remarks. I look forward to working with you all.”
“No, the pleasure is all ours.” Amagi replied as the surviving crew of the Takemikazuchi saluted him.
Murrue let out a chuckle.

On the Minerva, Shinn sat by Stella's bed as he looked at the container that held the sea-shell she had given him.
“Stella?” he rushed to her side when he heard the Extended wake. “What's wrong Stella? Are you alright?”
“Shinn…” Stella moaned.
“This?” he asked when he noticed Stella's attention was on the container in his hand.
At her small smile, he reminded, “You gave it to me. I remember.”
“Stella!” he gasped when the Extended suddenly choked on air.
“I'm scared of this place…!” she coughed. “Protect me… Shinn… you said you'll protect Stella…”
“Please get out of the way!” the nurse instructed as she rushed in.
“Shinn!” Stella gasped as the pilot was pushed aside.
Shinn could only look on helplessly as the nurse injected a sedative into Stella.

In the recreation lounge…
“So Shinn sunk the enemy vessel again in the end?” Vino inquired.
“The enemy fleet!” Meyrin corrected. “Almost the entire fleet! Shinn has been amazing lately. `Minerva, launch the Sword Silhouette!'. He yells things like that one after another to me. You feel he's the perfect ace. He's always on edge and scary, but he's even edgier in battle.”
“Meyrin.” Lunamaria rebuked.
“Oh, onee-chan!” Meyrin blinked as her sister approached. “Are you alright?”
“'Are your alright?' Why are you…” Lunamaria scolded. “I got shot and you didn't even come and see to me.”
“But I was on duty the whole time.” Meyrin protested.
“Well, whatever.” Lunamaria waved it aside. “That aside, where's Athrun? Do oyu know how's he's doing?”
“What do you mean?” Meyrin asked.
“I didn't know the Savior got damaged so badly.” Lunamaria replied.
“But he's not hurt. He's perfectly fine.” Vino replied. “I don't know how's he's doing now, though.”
“Oh Shinn.” Meyrin blinked as the pilot walked in.
“Are you alright?” Shinn asked.
“I'm fine.” Lunamaria replied. “I got beaten up pretty badly though.”
“I see…” Shinn noted as he walked to the vendoring machine.
“Hey, how's Athrun?” Lunamaria asked. “Do you know how's he's doing?”
“Huh? No.” Shinn replied. “He got beaten up pretty badly by the Freedom, after all. He's probably moping in his room. He's not that strong. I wonder why he's in FAITH. Maybe he's stronger in the past?”

On the John Paul Jones, Sting was undergoing his memory wipe alone.
Aside, Neo thought of what Djibril had said.

Flashback
But our goals must be achieved. All orders are given because they are necessary. We're not doing this for fun. Don't forget that you are all around precisely for that purpose.”
End of Flashback

“What are we fighting for?” Neo wondered.
“Huh?” the technician was confused.
“It'll be the end if we start thinking about things like that.” Neo added.
“Ah…” the technician nodded as Neo walked out.

On the Minerva
“I see… so, there's really nothing you can do?” Talia asked the doctor.
“Yes, it's only a matter of time now.” The doctor replied as Shinn was about to round the corner and the pilot stopped in his tracks. “It'd be nice if we can hand her over alive, but… if it's not possible, I feel that further life support measures aren't a good idea. It'll just make it harder for us to obtain accurate data when we dissect her.”
“We have plenty of samples like that from the research facility, didn't we?” Talia asked. “What the High Council wants is a living Extended. Please continue with the treatment as before. If at all possible, I'd like to hand her over alive.”
“I understand.” The doctor replied. “I'll do as I can.”
“Okay, I'm counting on you.” Talia noted. “Oh, what about Shinn? Does he still come by?”
“Yes, every now and then.” The doctor replied. “I don't understand why he's attached to someone like that though.”
“I see…” Talia commented.

Athrun came outside on the battered observation deck, thinking about the last battle, as well as events from the previous war when Shinn too came out.
“Shinn…” Athrun called out to his protégé.
“What is it?” Shinn retorted.
“Oh… it's nothing.” Athrun replied.
“So you were moping at a place like this instead of your room?” Shinn asked. “How carefree. Luna was worrying about how you were doing. Even though she was injured herself…”
“Shinn…” Athrun warned.
“Even if you put on a high and mighty face like that, there's no point if you can't do anything!” Shinn snapped.
“What?” Athrun demanded.
“It's all the Earth Alliance's fault!” Shinn replied angrily. “Didn't you return to ZAFT to fight them?”
At Athrun's startled look, he added, “Then please do a better job…”
At that, he stormed off.
Left alone now, Athrun turned to face the sea. A trail of shimmering white Cosmo dust snapped him out of his musings.
“Shinn…Asuka…” Chione noted as she manifested beside the navy-haired pilot.
“Merci…” Athrun blinked at the Snow Goddess beside him.
“Why have you appeared in the battlefield?” he inquired harshly. “And in Milliardo's mobile suit?”
“Because I have something I have to protect, no matter what.” Chione replied. “Kira-nii should have told you; I'm not Relena. I will fight if I have to.”
“He too has something to protect, hasn't he, that protégé of yours?” She asked. “Blaming everything on the Earth Alliance.”
“Huh?” Athrun blinked hard.
“That girl, Stella.” Chione elaborated.
Athrun looked away, “Everyone has something they want to protect.”
“Then, what is yours, Athrun?” Chione asked.
“Bite me.” Athrun muttered.
“Where?” Chione grinned.
“What?” Athrun blinked, turning sharply to her.
“Was about time someone brought that bluff.” Chione chuckled.
“You're evil.” Athrun growled, before letting a grin creep up.
“Have you opened the envelope?” Chione asked.
“Not yet.” Athrun replied. “Everything's been too hectic.”

At night, Rey awoke to furious typing.
“What are you doing?” he asked his roommate.
“It's nothing…” Shinn replied.
“I see…”Rey noted when he realized what Shinn was doing.
Shinn looked at his roommate for a moment before going back on his research on the Gaia.
Sometime later in the night, he entered the infirmary.
“What do you what this late at night?” the nurse asked as she continued to work.
Turning back, she was stunned when Shinn came running towards her. With a grunt, she fainted on the ground after the pilot punched her in the stomach.
“Stella.” He turned to the Extended.
“Stella.” He repeated when Gaia's pilot woke.
“Neo…?” Stella gasped.
“Let's go home.” Shinn told her after some time. “I'll keep my promise. I'll protect you, Stella.”
After checking that the coast was clear, he wheeled Stella out of the infirmary.

In the hanger…
“Well, it'll be possible once we're in Gibraltar, right?” one of the guards remarked.
“But as long as we're in a place like this, I can't go back home even if we're on vacation.” Another guard complained.
His companion chuckled before his attention was caught by something.
“Hey, what are you doing?” he demanded. “You! What are you doing there?”
“What's wrong?” a third guard inquired, his weapon drawn as Rey followed him.
Shinn hissed as he waited for the elevator, the two guards closing in on him.
“Don't move!” one of the guards demanded, his weapon poised to shoot. A grunt from his companion forced the guard to turn and he saw Rey taking out the guards one by one.
“What are you doing” he stipulated before Shinn knocked him out.
“Are you returning her?” Rey asked.
“Yeah.” Shinn replied. “She'll die at this rate. And afterwards, they'll treat her like a guinea pig. I won't accept that!”
At that, the elevator opened and Shinn wheeled Stella in.
“You'll come back right?” Rey asked as he held the door open.
“Of course!” Shinn retorted.
“Then hurry.” Rey told him. ”I'll open the gate for you.”
At Shinn's gasp, he added, “No matter what her life is like, if she can stay alive, she probably wants to live to.”

Back in the infirmary, the doctor and a nurse was shocked to find the nurse-on-duty unconscious.

“Shinn...” Stella moaned as the pilot held her in his arms as he prepared to take off.
“It's alright.” Shinn soothed. “Please hold on a little more.”
At the hanger controls, Rey was preparing the gate.

On the bridge...
“What's the matter?” Talia demanded. “What's going on?”
“The medical room is reporting that the Extended is missing!” the radar officer reported.
“What?” Talia gasped.

Outside the hanger controls...
“Open up!” an officer demanded, banging on the shut door. “Damnit!”
“Hey, get in from the terminal and unlock the door!” another officer suggested.
“You're good to go Shinn.” Rey told him.
“We're going!” Shinn replied and set off in the Chest Flyer as the rest of the Impulse emerged from the catapult.

On the bridge...
“Captain! The Impulse is...!” Meyrin gasped.

Switching on his navigator, Shinn mused, “The Earth Alliance's locations and the Gaia's codes... alright, this should do!”
With his coordinates set, Shinn flew off.

After Shinn took off, the hanger was forced open and Rey was captured.
“Hey, it's Rey...” one of the officers muttered. “What is he doing?”
As Rey was being escorted out, Athrun went after him.

“Yes, that's right!” Talia reported. “It can't be helped! We don't have any units that can chase after him.”
Her report was cut short when Rey was escorted in.
“I'm sorry, but you can leave, Athrun.” Talia requested. “Please go back.”
Athrun saluted and went out.
“You too.” Talia told the Rey's capturing officer.
“Yes madam!” the officer saluted and went out.

On the John Paul Jones, the officer on duty gasped, “This is...!”

“Shinn will come back, even if you don't chase after him.” Rey reported.
“What do you mean, Rey?” Talia asked. “Is it an order from that man as well?”

On the John Paul Jones...
“Gaia's identification code?” Neo echoed. “What's the meaning of this?”
“I don't know, but they have been trying to contact us with that this whole time.” the officer replied.
“All hands, Level 2 battle alert.” Neo instructed.
“Yes sir!” the soldiers chorused.
“But then the only unit that can launch is my Windam.” Neo noted. “Well, never mind. Try responding.”
“Yes sir.” the officer on duty replied.

In the Impulse, Shinn finally received a response.
“Calling Neo.” the ZAFT pilot switched on his communicator. “Stella is waiting for you. Please come alone to pick her up at point S228. I repeat. Calling Neo. Stella is waiting for you. Please come alone to pick her up at point S228.”

On the John Paul Jones...
“Captain...” the officer turned to his commander.

On the Minerva...
“This occurrence was on my own accord.” Rey replied. “Please deal with me according to standard protocols. Shinn only went to return her. He'll be back for sure.”
“Athrun...” Lunamaria blinked at the navy-blue-haired pilot who was standing outside Talia's office.

On the John Paul Jones...
“Are you really going by yourself?” his vice-captain asked as Neo prepared to take off.
“As long as the Chaos is still unusable, it's can't be helped.” Neo replied. “Even if it's a trap, we won't know until we do something.”
“Yes sir.” the vice-captain replied.
“I'll leave the rest to you!” Neo added before taking off in his Windam.

At the designated point, Shinn had already landed.
“Please hold on Stella.” he told the Extended. “It's just a little longer. I'm sure Neo will come for you.”
“Neo...” Stella moaned as she peered open her eyes.
“Yeah...” Shinn nodded.
“That's...” Neo wondered as the Impulse appeared on his screen.
After a while, he landed and exited his cockpit.
“I'm here! I'm Neo Lorrnoke!” Neo declared. “I'm alone, as promised.”
Shinn then exited his cockpit.
“I'm returning her because I don't want her to die!” Shinn commented as he cradled the unconscious Stella. “So promise me! That you'll definitely return her to a warm and gentle world, far away from deadly things like war and mobile suits!”
“I promise.” Neo replied.
At his word, Shinn walked down towards Neo and handed Stella back to him.
“Stella.” Neo looked at the Extended.
“Neo...” Stella let out a weak smile.
“Perhaps I should say 'Thank you'?” Neo inquired.
“I don't care about that!” Shinn retorted. “But what I just said...”
“I know.” Neo replied. “Well then.”
“Wait!” Shinn stopped Neo in his tracks.
Turning to the pilot, Neo was puzzled as Impulse's pilot pulled out a container.
“Stella gave this to me.” Shinn said. “Stella liked this, so...”
“Shinn...” Stella moaned as she tilted her head to the pilot.
“Please don't forget, Stella.” Shinn told her as he placed the container in her hand. “Please don't forget about me.”
That done, he ran back to his unit and took off.
“Shinn...” Stella muttered as the Impulse disappeared into the sunrise.

SailorStar9: Well, Shinn returns Stella to the Earth Alliance. Too bad Kira's going to end up killing her.