Gundam SEED Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Hell Knows No Fury Like A Woman Scorned ❯ The Endless Night ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: A new chapter up and no review. You guys don't love me anymore. (Wails). Anyway, this is Chapter 25. Read and review.
Disclaimers: Don't own, don't sue or I'll sink a SEED mode Kira after you. And no flames. Flames will be extinguished by a fire extinguisher or used to burn joss sticks.
Chapter 25: The Endless Night

Aboard the Minerva's mobile suit hangar, Shinn exited the cockpit of the Impulse Gundam and was immediately arrested by armed guards.
“Shinn Asuka.” the squad leader told him. “We're placing you under arrest for your violation of Military Code Section 3, Clause B, among others.”
They then escorted him to Talia's quarters, where she was waiting with Arthur.
“Excuse me.” the squad leader reported. “We've arrested Shinn Asuka and brought him here.”
“You look like you're going to sat, 'I'm prepared for what's going to happen to me.'” Talia told him. “Rey had faith in you, but I'm surprised you actually came back. But you knew what would happen to you if you came back, didn't you? Arbitrary release of a prisoner, assaulting crew members, unsanctioned launching of a mobile suit, being in contact with the enemy force. I've never heard of such foolish breach of military regulations! Why did you do such a thing? Because you feel sorry for that girl? But she was...”
“She was about to die.” Shinn replied.
At both Talia's and Arthur's gasps, he added, “I believe you were aware of that fact too, Captain.”
“Shinn!” Arthur rebuked.
“Even if she's an Extended belonging to the Earth Alliance, Stella is still a human being!” Shinn continued. “But you spoke of her as if... Saying things like 'It'll make it harder to gather data when we dissect her.' And other things! Nobody cared if she was about to die. The Earth Alliance is horrible, but all of you aren't much different, Captain.”
“Shinn, watch your...” Arthur scolded.
Talia raised a hand to stop him and added, “But that doesn't mean what you did will be accepted. The fact of the matter is that she is an Extended, and we have been ordered by Headquarters to take her to Gibraltar. It is inexcusable for you to go against that order simply because of your personal feelings! I have no choice but to report this to Headquarters. You will be informed of your sentence later. Until then, you are hereby placed in confinement along with Rey Za Burrel.”
“Shinn...” Lunamaria muttered as the pilot was being led away.
Both Arthur and Lunamaria blinked as Athrun went after him.
“Damnit!” Talia hissed as she slammed her fist on the table.

“I'm sorry.” Shinn apologized.
“About what?” Rey asked.
“Well, I mean...” Shinn added.
“There's no reason why you should apologize to me.” Rey replied. “I did that on my own free will. Were you able to return her safely?”
“Yeah.” Shinn replied.
“That's good to hear.” Rey nodded.
“Thanks.” Shinn smiled.
The door slid open and Athrun walked in.
“Shinn.” the older pilot addressed his protégé.
“What is it?” Shinn asked.
“Well...” Athrun remarked. “I thought I should apologize. I didn't realize that you had been that worried about her.”
“Oh, it's not that I'd been worried about her.” Shinn replied. “I just couldn't stand it. Stella is a victim as well. But everyone... They all forgot that and simply treated her as an Earth Alliance Extended. They talked about her as if it couldn't be helped if she died.”
“But that's... also a fact.” Athrun pointed out. “It's also a fact that she's an Earth Alliance pilot and that many ZAFT pilots have been killed by her. Have you...”
“That's...!” Shinn protested. “But Stella didn't choose to become that way! She's different from us, who chose to be in the military!”
“Then that might be all the more reason why we shouldn't have returned her.” Athrun told him. “If she can't leave the battlefield of her own will... In the worse case, we might have to fight her again!”
“So you're saying that we should've let her die!?” Shinn exclaimed hotly.
“That's not it!” Athrun retorted. “But what you did solves nothing!”
“She was suffering so much and was terrified!” Shinn ranted.
“Shinn!” Athrun scolded.
“And that man promised me!” Shinn added. “That he'll return Stella to a kind of world, far away from warfare!”
“So you want to say that what you did wasn't wrong?” Athrun asked.
“Even I....!” Shinn continued his rant.
“Shinn, stop it already.” Rey rebuked. “Athrun, that should be enough as well. Talking about things like that won't change anything.”
“Rey...” Athrun blinked.
“What's over is over, and we don't know about what's going to happen in the future.” Rey added. “Both of those are facts. All we can do is pray and wait for tomorrow to come. All of us...”

In the steppes of Russia, a transport plane carrying Neo, Sting and Stella landed next to the ground battleship Bonaparte.
“This is Captain Neo Lorrnoke of the 81st Independent Mobile Division. Bonaparte, do you read me?” Neo voiced over the intercom. “I'm sending my identification code. Please permit us to land.
“This is the Bonaparte. Roger that.” the officer in the battleship replied. “Your identification code has been confirmed. Welcome home Captain. Please go ahead with your approach.”
“Heh, you've sure brought me to another remote area.” Sting scoffed. “To begin with, what the heck is this? Why did we have to drag what looks like a suicide attempt along with us?”
“That's enough.” Neo rebuked. “There is far too much you don't know. At this point, there's also something you don't need to know.”
Alone in his office, Neo stripped down to take a shower, thinking back to Djibril's instructions.

Flashback to video conference with Djibril
Well, anything is capable of failing to meet your expectations.” Djibril told him. “That is, the Minerva was way too much for you to handle. So I was thinking of what I should do with you... but fortunately the Destroy was completed. So I'll leave that to you instead. Although such a tactic wouldn't have been necessary if you had sunk the Minerva. It can't be helped. If you don't quickly cut out the part that's rotten, the rot will spread quickly. Please use that and quickly quiet down Western Eurasia. This time for sure. You can at least do it, can't you, Neo?”
End of flashback

Meanwhile, the Archangel emerged from the ocean and left Scandinavia.
“We've surfaced.” Arnold reported. “Proceeding with current thrust.”
“No anomalies detected in the surrounding area.” the radar officer reported. “Distance until our destination: Approximately: 90.”
“But it sure seems cold!” Miriallia complained.
Arnold laughed, “The dock of the fjord is very cold in reality! That's why the Archangel has a hot spring!”
“What? No way!” Miriallia exclaimed.
Meanwhile, Kira watched the snowfall from one of the observation lounges.

“But to think you were being sheltered by the Kingdom of Scandinavia.” Amagi remarked.
“The King of Scandinavia still remembers the partnership my father had with them.” Merci replied. “But I feel that's it's something to be truly thankful for. He is still mourning the loss of my parents and the rule of Sanc to the Athhas.”
“That country was also the first to provide aid to us when we were attacked by the Earth Alliance.” Amagi pointed out.
“Yeah.” the officer beside him agreed.
“I'm still being protected by people like that.” Merci replied. “The same goes for you people.”
“Hime-sama...” another officer noted.
“So, for now, I'd like to avail myself to you all.” Merci added. “But someday, I'll return that favour! If there is still hope, then I will become a good leader who will never give up, like my parents and ancestors!”
“Peacecraft-sama...” another officer gasped.
“Princess...” the others nodded in agreement. “We will follow you!”
“There are many in Sanc who disagree with what the Sarans are thinking and are awaiting your return, Princess.” another officer told her.
“Although I don't know much about politics,” another added. “I can't help but think that the fault is with the Earth Alliance in this war.”
“And in that case, since the Sarans is now part of that alliance, at this rate...” another remarked.
“That's right! Saran is a fool!” another agreed.
“I know.” Merci replied.
“I know, so please hold on a little.” she added standing up. “I would also like to return to Sanc as soon as possible. For the sake of all of you and those who died at Crete. So please. Please wait just a little longer. And when the time comes... please lend me your strength! I beg of you, for the sake of Sanc and this world!”
“Of course, Peacecraft-sama!” the crew chorused. “For the sake of Sanc!”
Merci nodded.
You're the only one left now Athrun. When are you coming back? She thought.

Meanwhile...
“Torii!” Kira's Torii chirped.
“Mind if I join you?” Murrue asked.
“I'm sorry for loafing around in a place like this.” Kira apologized.
“That's fine.” Murrue smiled. “You've really been working hard again, all by yourself.”
“Huh?” Kira was confused.
“Are you alright?” Murrue asked.
“I was thinking... 'Why did things turn out like this?'.” Kira confessed. “Why did I have to fight Athrun again?”
“Yes...” Murrue sighed.
“Are we mistaken?” Kira asked. “Is the Chairman really a nice man, like Athrun said? And that Lacus was targeted by some mistake?”
“Torii!” Torii chirped.
“If what we're doing is actually foolish and mistaken...” Kira added.
“Kira-kun...” Murrue noted. “But I believe that trying to protect someone who is precious to you is never foolish or mistaken.”
“Huh?” Kira blinked.
“Although I don't know about the world,” Murrue added. “you see, I think you can love the world because there's someone out there who's precious to you.”
“Murrue-san...” Kira noted.
“I'm sure it's the same for everyone.” Murrue added. “That's why we try so hard. Isn't that why we fight? But sometimes, there are people who do it the wrong way or think the wrong way when all you wanted out of the world was for that one person to be there for you. I'm sure Athrun-kun also feels the same need to protect what's important to him. Although I'm sure that's why it makes things all the more difficult. I believe that the day will come when the two of you can work side by side again. So don't give up, and do the best job you can do as yourself.”
“Yes.” Kira nodded.
“Okay?” Murrue gave him a playful nudge on the head.

On the Bonaparte...
“This is your new unit.” Neo told Stella as he showed her the Destroy.
“Stella's... new...?” Stella blinked.
“That's right.” Neo nodded. You need to fight again with this, Stella. Or else, scary things will come and kill all of us.”
“Kill? Stella too?” Stella echoed.
“Yeah.” Neo nodded.
“Neo too?” Stella pressed.
“That's right.” Neo replied.
“No!” Stella wailed. “I don't want that! I don't want to die!”
“Then, you have to do it.” Neo told her. “You can do it right, Stella? You need to erase everything that's scary.”
“Scary things...” Stella echoed. “Erase...”
The Bonaparte set off after that.

Back on the Minerva...
“An encrypted message for the Captain from Headquarters, Priority 1.” Meyrin reported.
“I wonder what would happen to Shinn.” Arthur remarked.
“I have no idea.” Talia replied. “Under normal circumstances, he'd be facing the firing squad. But if they take into consideration Shinn's accomplishments up until now, perhaps we can avoid that, at least...”

Back on the Bonaparte...
“Linkage to Biological CPU is nominal.” the overhead com announced.

On the Minerva...
“We'll also be held accountable for our inability to prevent this from happening.” Talia added as she accepted the message.
“What?” she gasped when she read the instructions.

On the Bonaparte...
“Emergency personnel, stand by.” the overhead announcer added. “X1 Destroy, opening the platform and the gate.”
“Alright, we're going too.” Neo added after Stella took off in her new mobile suit.
“But why didn't you give me that thing?” Sting complained. “I'd be a lot better than that weird convalescent.”
“She's just right for it.” Neo told him. “The data says that Stella would be more efficient as its pilot.”
“Damn.” Sting hissed.

On the Minerva...
“Get out.” a soldier instructed and both Rey and Shinn were let out.
“'Although I find it regrettable that the captured Extended escaped and consequently died, taking into consideration your vessel's achievements thus far and the current state of the war, I will disregard this incident.'” Arthur read.
“What??” he exclaimed in surprise. “What is the meaning of this?”
“Excuse me.” the soldier reported, sending Shinn into Talia's office.

Back in Germany, a ZAFT attack force that included a land battleship, BuCUEs and GAZuOOTs attacked the Destroy Gundam, but they were all destroyed.

On the Archangel...
Merci let a sudden jolt in her heart. Using a hand to support herself against the wall, her eyes flashed, showing her the above battle.
“No...” she whispered in horror.
The Goddess of Snow then sunk to her knees and wept.

On the Minerva...
“Disregard the matter?” one of the soldiers echoed incredulously as both Shinn and Rey walked out of Talia's office.
“No way! After doing that!?” another gasped. “The Headquarters?”
“He's a super-ace afterall...” another noted.
When they entered the mess hall, Shinn was greeted by Vino.
“Shinn! I'm so glad for you!” the technician beamed. “I'm so worried about you!”
“I'm sorry I worried you.” Shinn told Athrun. “I'm fine now. Thank you for everything.”
“It was nothing...” Athrun replied.

In Berlin, the Destroy's rampage continued, as it attacked ZAFT's BABI and DINN forces, and cutting a path of destruction through the city, killing many civilians on the way.

On the Archangel, Murrue and Kira entered the bridge.
“It really made me panic back then...!” Miriallia remarked.
“Captain, it's an emergency message from Terminal.” the radar officer reported.
“What?” Murrue gasped.

On the Minerva...
“It's an emergency message from Headquarters.” Meyrin reported.
“Huh?” Talia blinked.
“The Earth Alliance is advancing from central Eurasia.” Meyrin added. “Three cities have already been annihilated. All ZAFT forces are to be on emergency standby.”
“What did you say?” Talia gasped.

On the Archangel...
Everyone on bridge gasped at the destruction images sent in by the Terminal.
“This is...” Kira gaped in horror. “No way...”
“How many more...” Merci wept. “How many more do we have to sacrifice before this is all over?”
Kira turned to his sister and pulled her into a comforting hug.

On the Minerva...
“It seems that there's someone at Headquarters who also understands me.” Shinn commented. “It simply means that your righteousness isn't the only one out there.”

On the Archangel...
“I'm going, Murrue-san.” Kira told the ship's captain.
“I understand.” Murrue replied.
Merci watched as her brother exited the bridge to get into the hanger.

On the Minerva....
“Well then.” Shinn saluted Athrun and walked off.
“Please excuse us.” Rey added in salute and followed Shinn.

In the Destroy...
“I need to beat them...” Stella muttered as her new mobile suit stepped on the debris. “Everything that scares me!”

SailorSta9: Stella's back in action... again. I still say Shinn's stupid for requesting Neo to keep Stella out of the battlefield. Why would an enemy soldier keep such a promise? And who would trust a promise given by a masked man?