Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Cruel Fate ❯ Like they were 16... ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Gundam Seed or Destiny

A/N: Thanks for reviewing! It encourages me to write! And with the story…

~*~*~*~*~*~

Ruby looked at the room around her. There were papers all over the place, she hated cleaning.

“Ruby dear, could you just finish up cleaning the kitchen? Then you’re free to go home.” Ruby’s maid supervisor poked her head in the bedroom she was working in. “Sure.”

Ruby kept to herself a lot, so no one really knew her very well. It was good, that way she could get her work done instead of wasting it chatting away with her co-workers. They don’t even get done on time, so ha on them.

Ruby looked at the digital alarm clock on the bedside table, it read 2: 09. She smiled; she would have enough time to take Sophie to the ocean. She hadn’t had a minute to herself ever since she applied to this job; she needed to take care of Sophie.

Ruby remembered the time she took Sophie home on a stormy evening.

~*~

Ruby looked at her watch, she was running late for the bus to 6th avenue. She started to jog, which turned into a slow paced run. *sniff*

Ruby looked to her left, outside a bakery a girl that looked a lot like her, was standing barefoot. She stopped running and looked at the girl with sorrow. That had been Ruby a while ago.

Ruby heard the girl’s stomach growl. The girl looked down at her stomach and started talking to herself. “Don’t worry stomach, I’ll get food. I just need $2.50 and we can treat ourselves to a baked piece of bread! This will only be this once, then we have to go work for more money.”

Ruby walked up beside the blonde girl and looked through the bakery window. “Looks good, doesn’t it?” The girl kept starring at the bread and replied, “Yes, it must taste good too.” “What’s your name? Mine is Ruby.” “Sophie.” Sophie never took her eyes off the bread. “So…shouldn’t you be going home?” Ruby could have hit herself for that, it was obvious that she didn’t have one. Sophie shook her head.

The lady that worked at the bakery noticed the two looking through the window and walked outside to talk to them. The shorter blonde was always here and smudging her clean windows!

“Hey you! Get away your filthy hands away from my clean window! How many times have I told you to stay away from my bakery if you don’t have money? One too many, now get lost before I call the police!” Ruby was shocked at the lady’s rudeness.

“Excuse me? Is that the way to talk a younger child?” Ruby’s anger started to take over. “It’s alright Ruby-sama.” “No, it’s not and if you ever talk like that to my sister again, I am personally going to kick your butt, got it?”

Sophie looked at Ruby, did she hear correctly, did she say ‘sister’? The lady scowled and went back inside. She locked up and closed her shop for the day.

“That hag just ruined my day. Well anyway, let’s go home Sophie.” “…Is it really ok?” Ruby closed her eyes and smiled, “Of course.”

~*~

Ruby finished up her thoughts and the kitchen and ran to grab her normal clothes. She hated wearing overalls while working, but it was better than the maid’s costume.

She left the white mansion and ran towards home. On the way, she picked up a silver-and-purple anklet. She was sure that Sophie would like it, she deserved it since she kept the house in a nice condition.

As soon as Ruby reached home, Sophie pounced on her, “Rubyneechan! I went to the park today and I met a girl who had a dog whose name was James and…” Ruby listened to her sister’s story while she put her work clothes away.

“…wasn’t that nice of the girl?” “It really was, letting you play with the dog and taking it for a walk. Alright Sophie, go get ready.” Sophie was confused and looked down at her faded skirt and her favourite shirt, which had a rip at the bottom. “Why neechan?” Ruby smiled at the girl, “We’re going to the ocean.” Sophie squealed in delight and dashed off to her room to change into something decent.

Ruby decided to change too, she had gotten ketchup on her white blouse because of that bratty kid she had to take care of.

She changed into a pair of light blue jeans and an orange sleeveless top. It was still light and warm outside so she shouldn’t be cold and they wouldn’t be out for very long anyway.

Ruby was waiting for Sophie to come out of the bedroom, and when she did, Ruby gave her the anklet.

“You picked the right clothes, so the anklet should match.” “Thank you! You’re the best sister ever!” Sophie started to jump up and down in delight. “I know, I know.”

Ruby and Sophie then set off for the bus station, which took them to the Treson Beach.

~*~*~*~*~*

As soon as they got off, Sophie ran towards the water. Ruby didn’t feel like playing in the water today so she started to walk along the shoreline.

She was watching Sophie play and not where she was walking when she bumped into someone. They both toppled over.

“Crap…that hurt…” Ruby rubbed her head, “Geff ouff vease?” Where did that sound come from? She looked around all over then she looked underneath her and saw arms sticking out of her sides.

“AAHHH!! I’m growing extra arms!” “Wuffs ong?” Ruby blinked a few times and realized she was on top of someone. She quickly scrambled up, “Gomen! Gomen!”

She looked down at the brown haired boy who was rubbing his neck while sitting down. He looked familiar…what did he say?

“Sorry, I missed what you said…” “I just said it’s quite alright, it was an accident.” Ruby shook her head and helped the boy up, “I wasn’t watching where I was going.” “It’s alright, don’t worry about it. Is that your sister?” The boy was looking over at Sophie, who was now playing with an aqua haired boy. “Yes she is, why?”

Ruby’s went a bit rough without her realizing, the boy looked like he was in thought. “What’s wrong?” “Hmmm?...Oh nothing really, just trying to remember something.”

Ruby starred at the boy with an eyebrow raised, this boy was kind of weird. “By the way, my name is Ruby.” She decided it was best if she broke the silence. “Oh, gomen! My name is Leo.” Leo starred at her up and down. It made her very uncomfortable. “Did anyone ever tell you that you look like the Princess?” “Nani? Princess?” “Of Orb.” Ruby thought about it, a lot of people did actually say that.

How can they say that she looked like her? Just because she had blonde hair? “What makes you say that?” Ruby’s tone turned a bit rough again. Leo looked a bit taken back, what was with her? Shouldn’t all girls be happy that they looked like someone important?

“W…well, you look about the same height, and your features are in the same place as Attha-sama’s…and you have blonde hair…” Ruby lost it, “Just because I have blonde hair, you think I look like her?! What do you mean my features are in the same place as hers? Do you study her face or something? Do you think all blondes look alike!?” Leo sweat dropped, what was with the girl?

“I’m…I’m sorry if I offended you…” Ruby cooled down a bit. “Sorry, I lost my cool.” She muttered. No duh, thought Leo.

“Neechan? Are you alright?” Ruby looked over to Sophie, “Ya, I’m fine. Nothing to worry about.” Ruby forced a smile, which she hoped Sophie couldn’t see through. Sophie noticed the brown haired boy.

“Hi, my name is Sophie.” Leo smiled warmly at her, “My name is Leo. It’s very nice to meet you Sophie and your sister too.” Leo turned his attention to the aqua haired boy, “How’s it going Auel?” “Awesome bro. Anyway we’re going to go play now.” Auel took Sophie by the hand and led her away toward the water, where they splashed each other.

Leo and Ruby watched the two play. Ruby looked at Leo and asked him a question, “Is he your brother?” “No, he’s always hanging out with his friend Sting at the store I work at.” “I see…”

The sun started to set and the light shone off of Ruby’s face. Leo looked at her one more time, there was defiantly so familiar about her…

Click.

Ruby felt she was being watched, she looked at Leo through the corners of her eyes and saw him looking at her. She blushed a little and went back to looking at the sunset while Leo grinned.

~*~*~*~*~*

Sophie and Auel watched the two older youths. “Auel, look at Rubyneechan, she looks so funny standing like that.” Ruby was standing awkwardly, it made Sophie laugh. Auel looked over to her, he liked her laugh.

It was a girlish and childish sound mixed together, he looked down at the water around his ankles. He didn’t want this to be the only time to see Sophie…he wanted to see her again and again…

“Neh, Sophie do you think that…we’ll…you know….” Sophie tilted her head, “We’ll what, Auel?” Auel blushed a bit and scratched his nose while looking up to the sky. “Ano…we’ll still see each other right?” Sophie giggled, “Of course we will. I only live about 25 minutes way from here, 15 if taking the bus.” Auel broke into a wide grin.

“Well then Sophie, I’ll be seeing you a lot from now on.” “Hhhaaiii!.” The two decided it was time to go home and Auel walked her to Ruby.

“Did you have fun today Sophie?” “Hai, did you neechan?” Ruby didn’t know if she should lie or not, she didn’t have the best time. Luckily Auel spoke up after glancing at his watch, “Wow, it’s already 6: 30.” “WHAT?” Ruby’s voice was full of panic. “Neechan! What’s wrong?” Was there something wrong with her dear neechan? “We missed the bus! Crap!” Ruby hit her head with her hand.

Leo thought for a few seconds, “I could give you a lift home if you liked.” Sophie’s eyes lit up, “Really?” “Yes.” “Neechan! Let’s go.” “Ano…I don’t know…” “He’s not going to kidnap us or anything like that, I’m sure of it!” Ruby’s mouth twitched, Sophie had not even spoke a full paragraph with this man and she trusted him? Geez…

“Fine, let’s go before it gets too dark.” Ruby’s bossy voice took over. Sophie giggled and Leo grinned. “Uhhh…Leo, would you mind if I came too?” Sophie looked over to him, “Yeah! Could he please? That way he’ll know which is our house and he can come visit me there all the time!” Ruby raised an eyebrow and Leo tried to hide a smirk. “I suppose, I’ll need company on the way back, let’s go then.”

“Where do you live exactly?” “On 5th avenue.” “Alright then.”

~*~*~*~*~*

Mily and Dearka reached the café at 3:10.

“What do you mean she left early? Couldn’t you have kept her until her shift was officially over?!” Mily was losing her cool and Dearka could sense everyone’s eyes on them as they talked to the manager.

“What business is it of yours what time I let her off work?” “It is my damn business!” As those two argued, Dearka sunk lower and lower into his trench coat, how embarrassing!

He shuffled a good distance away from them and started to talk to a teenage employee. “Excuse me good looking, but would you happen to know about Mina?” The red headed girl was chewing a piece of gum, and she chewed it a couple of times before answering.

“The pink haired woman? I swear to God that she’s got implants.” “Umm…that’s nice but would you happen to know where she lives?” “Oh yeah, she lives on Crescent Boulevard, and it’s the last apartment building. Her apartment number is 210 on the 15th floor. I know this cuz she’s always inviting us over for tea…honestly.” “Thank you sooo much!”

Dearka ran up to Mily and dragged her out of the café, “I know where she lives.”

~*~*~*~*~*

Mina walked along the well lit street of Orb. She liked nightly walks, especially on spring evenings. Mina was thinking away when she came across a dark blue haired male. He was leaning against a lamp post breathing heavily, he seemed ill. As soon as he collapsed on the street, Mina was at his side.

“Are you alright? Where does it hurt?” The man looked up at Mina, “Thanks for worrying but I’m alright.” Mina noticed at his arm, it was cut badly but she managed a calm face, that’s how one should deal with injuries.

“No you’re not. My apartment isn’t far, just the next building. Why don’t we go there and patch you up?” The man starred at her with his emerald eyes while considering her invite. “Alright then, I suppose I should get this patched up.” Mina grinned at the man.

“By the way, my name is Mina.” She introduced herself while helping him up. “Mike.”

She walked as fast as she could while helping him walk. Mina had to help him, he was loosing a lot of cuts and she was relived when she finally reached her apartment.

“Come on Mike-kun, just a bit more. My apartment is on the 15th floor.” Mike groaned, he couldn’t help it.

As soon as the elevator stopped at the floor, she walked over to her door and unlocked it with her key.

Flicking on the light, Mina walked over to her couch and sat Mike there while she went to go get her first aid kit.

Mike took the time to look around Mina’s apartment.

The floor was laminated, and the walls were a light pink colour. She had a set of couches, a single, loveseat and a bigger one which could seat 3. It looked second-hand, with its worn state and its purple colour fading. The kitchen was to the right of the entrance and was spacious. A collection of spoons hung on the wall above a 4 seater dining room table.

From what he could tell, there where about three bedrooms and a bathroom to his left. Lovely, he thought, why couldn’t his apartment be like this?

Mina brought the first aid kit and started to fix him up. Mike thought for a while before he spoke, “Why did you help me? I could’ve been planning to mug you.” Mina grinned, “Gomen, Mike-kun, but you didn’t seem like the type of guy that would do something like that.”

“Finished. My where are my manners! Would you like something to drink?” “Uh…some water if you didn’t mind.” “Of course.”

Mina got him the glass of water. “Mina-san, you are a very kind women. I hope people are kind to you as you are to them.” Mina smiled. “Arigatou, Mike-kun.” “I suppose I should be off now.”

Mina walked the man to the door, “Are you sure that you don’t me to walk you to the lobby door?” “Hai, I’ll be fine.” “Good night and may you have a safe trip back.” “Arigatou once again.”

Mina waved to the retreating figure. She grinned before going back inside.

~*~*~*~*

“I kinda we were lost after the 2nd time we circled this place Dearka and honestly, you aren’t helping very much.” “I’m just saying Mily.” Dearka shoke his head. There were out since 3:20 and it was now 10:05.

He looked over to the sidewalk and saw a dark blue haired man walk the lone street.