Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Destiny Child ❯ The Whitleys ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: The Whitleys
 
Heavy silence engulfed the group at the long table as they watched the culminating event live on the plasma screen on the wall - The nuclear blast of Junius Seven.
 
As expected, the PLANT was instantly eliminated.
 
The room erupted with cheers upon witnessing the vile act. All, but one, was celebrating the devastating event with hugs and laughter.
 
Only Gladys Whitley remained seated calmly with her hands folded at her laps. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, blocking out the commotion surrounding her. To her, the blast was a senseless display of power at the expense of lives. For a `pure and blue' world. To hell with that. Since when was the world `pure and blue'?
 
(((BUZZ)))
 
Her thoughts are interrupted when she heard the vibration of her cell phone amidst the boisterous cheers. The screen flashed `private number' and she answered it knowingly. “Yes? … You have to speak louder, I can't hear you here.” She sighed loudly and covered her ears, rolling her eyes at the bunch of idiots dancing in front of her. “Now you're blabbering, Brian. Slow down.”
 
She had to take a moment to digest what was being told to her. Then it struck her.
 
“Whoa!” she shoved her chair away and stood up, disbelief etched across her face. The outburst silenced the commotion in the room and caused all eyes on her.
 
Somehow, the sudden silence of the room sent a shiver down her spine.
 
“What's wrong?” One of them asked.
 
Gladys tossed her cell phone across the table and fall back on her chair, trying to gather her thoughts. “It's Zala.”
 
The sense of urgency in the room shot up that instant.
 
Gladys leaned forward and wringed her hands on the table. When she looked up, everyone was looking at her in anticipation of what she would say next.
 
“She ran away.”
+Destiny's Child+
 
Samantha Whitley just arrived at the lift when the sirens blared. Barely a second later, the lift door slid open and she came face to face with Alix.
 
Both girls yelped together in surprise but Samantha managed to recover faster. She clamped Alix's mouth and pulled her to a shadowed corner just as the soldiers started marching in. They crouched against the wall, holding their breath as they watched the soldiers dispersed to their respective search areas. Although Alix did not make any noise, Samantha did not let up her hold on her mouth. Only when she muffled for the release did Samantha realize that she was suffocating her best friend since childhood. She removed her hand immediately and flashed a wide grin at Alix, astonishment written all over her face. “This is unbe-”
 
She was stopped short when Alix gave her a punch that sent her flying out of the shadows. After which Alix tried to dash past her, but she grabbed her in midsection and jabbed her back up against the wall in the shadowed corner. She wanted to scream at Alix then. One, for punching her! And two, for being ungrateful! Any idiot would have known she meant no harm!
 
She wasn't able, however, when a section of the soldiers passed by that moment and both girls stiffened instinctively, staring into each other's eyes as their hands clutched together for support. They were both trembling in fear of being caught though Samantha managed to gather her courage to dare a quick peek at the soldiers marching around. After a while, when Samantha was certain the soldiers were once again gone, she turned to frown at Alix, her hands clamped down on both sides of Alix's arms in case she strike her again. Samantha tried hard to keep her frustrated expression on but failed miserably when she caught Alix's emerald eyes. - Eyes that spoke of fear.
 
“It's me.” Samantha uttered softly, voice shaking with emotion. Never did she once think that Alix would one day come `alive'. “Samantha.”
 
Alix was slow to react. She stared at Samantha blankly for a moment before it finally dawned on her that right in front of her is her best friend since childhood. Although she has never seen Samantha, although they have never played together when they were young, Alix recognized the voice. - The animated voice that has been accompanying her since young.
 
The fact overwhelmed her and brought tears to her eyes. She reached out to fondle Samantha's cheeks and Samantha chuckled softly with misty eyes and pressed her forehead lightly against Alix's in response. Despite being elated, the wailing sirens brought Samantha back to their situation. Her eyebrows crunched together in concern.
 
She has two choices now.
 
One, turn Alix in…
 
Or two, take her away…
 
Only one thought stayed firm in her head as she grabbed Alix's hand and glanced around furtively. When she turned to look back at Alix, a flash of defiance was evident in her crystal-clear blue eyes. “Now, let's get you out of here.”
 
+Destiny's Child+
 
Gladys Whitley was angry. No. She was furious!
 
Not because she arrived at the laboratory only to find that the place was in an uproar, but it was one of the guards telling her that Samantha, her daughter of all people, was spotted in the laboratory compound when Alix went missing.
 
Twenty platoons of guards have been deployed to search the whole area yet they found nothing. There are only two kinds of people who are able to escape the watchful eyes of the building. The first kind is those who know their way well around the compound, and the second kind is those witty types where they know how to snake their way through.
 
In Gladys's opinion, her daughter fits the two kinds of people perfectly. Not to mention the records showed that Samantha only clocked in. And it was around the time when Alix went missing. Gladys even double scanned the records to make sure but there were clearly no records of her clocking out.
 
Now, will someone convince her that her willful daughter has got nothing to do with Alix's disappearance?
 
“Samantha!” Gladys hollered the moment she stepped into their mansion.
 
+Destiny's Child+
 
Samantha jumped when she heard the front door bounded opened. She winced when she heard her name.
 
Needless to say, her mother is back.
 
She looks at Alix worriedly and her naïve friend, oblivious to what is happening, is happily eating the chocolate ice cream that she offered a while ago. When Alix caught Samantha looking at her, she smiled, a dimple showing in her right side of her cheeks. Her white dress that Samantha dressed her was smudged with the chocolate ice cream, and so was her face. Her malamute tried to lick the ice cream in her hands, but Alix won't let him. The two then engaged in an ice cream wrestle and Samantha chuckled at the sight. But her attention was diverted when she heard the booming voice of her mother once again.
 
“Samantha!”
 
Samantha rolled her eyes in irritation and quickly snatched the cup of ice cream from Alix and got her to hide in her wardrobe.
 
Come what may, Alix Zala is here to stay.
 
+Destiny's Child+
 
The door to Samantha's bedroom flew open and Gladys filed the entrance. She did a double take of the room when she spotted her daughter seated quietly with her back facing her at her study desk, seemingly studying with her headphones on. The French window beside the desk was left open and light from the outside brightened the dim room.
 
Gladys crossed the room and folded her arms across her chest when she was right behind Samantha. Unsurprisingly, her daughter was still `oblivious' to her presence. She glanced around the room and found two cups of chocolate ice cream in the dustbin right beside the desk. Besides that, the wardrobe door is suspiciously ajar.
 
Alix cowers further in when she saw footsteps nearing Samantha at the desk, her words ringing fresh in her ears. “Do not come out unless you see my signal, understand?
 
She started to worry for Samantha.
 
Samantha bit her lips. Her mom seems to be surveying her room behind her. `I have to strike first and divert her attention.'
 
Samantha half whirled in her chair. “Oh Mom! You gave me a scare standing right behind me like that!”
 
Gladys turned to look at Samantha with a raised eyebrow. “I did, didn't I?”
 
“Of course!” Samantha countered, taking her headphones off at the same time standing up. “What brings you home this early?”
 
`Wrong move!' Samantha thought as soon as the words got out of her mouth. The question will only act as a trigger!
 
“You.” Gladys replied calmly, placing her hands on her hips.
 
`I knew she say that!' Samantha faked a face of innocence. “Me?”
 
“Own up, Ms. Whitley. The consequences are lighter than being found out.”
 
`Do you think I'm a fool, mom? The consequences are THE SAME.' “What? Own up what?”
 
Gladys took a deep breath. “Why did you go to the laboratory when you were supposed to be grounded?”
 
“Oh… that.” Samantha scratched her head. “I thought I wasn't going to be found out.”
 
“Sam!”
 
“Ok, ok! I got bored cooped up with all the books so I thought I dropped by to chat with Alix for a while. At the same time, I need her help in one of the topics I couldn't really understand.”
 
Gladys waited for a moment before she realized at the end of the full stop is really a full stop. `Well, when you have a tough child, you just have to get tougher.'
 
“Well, did you see her?”
 
“No.”
 
The answer came too quick and too short for the likes of Samantha Whitley, especially when it comes to Alix. Samantha might have realized her mistake, for she quickly added, “I left when I saw the guards pouring in. I thought they're having a drill or something. I don't want to get in their way.”
 
As soon as Samantha finished her sentence, Gladys sliced right in to catch her off guard. “Alix is missing.”
 
Samantha drew a startled gasp, eyes wide as saucers. “WHAT? What happened? Is she kidnapped? Oh God, Mom! You gotta do something!”
 
Gladys got to admit. Her daughter has this innate talent for acting. It's a pity she enrolled her into a science school instead of an arts one.
 
Gladys exhaled, her patience wearing thin by now. “What do you expect me to do when my daughter gets in my way?”
 
Samantha contemplated the question, eyes downcast. `She knows. I knew it! I shouldn't have headed home… … I can't let Alix go back to that place. I will protect her. I have to.'
 
Gladys eyed Samantha sternly and placed her hands on her shoulders. “Sam?”
 
Samantha looked up, frowning.
 
“Where is Alix? Where have you hidden her?”
 
Samantha gulped. “I don't know.”
 
At the answer, Gladys lost her cool. “Listen here, young lady! The only reason why you were given a chance to talk is because you're my daughter! You know how important Alix is to us! Keeping her-”
 
“You never know how important Alix is to ME!” Samantha exploded, throwing her hands up in frustration. “Do you know how much Alix suffered because of your selfishness? Do you know how my heart aches whenever I see her going through those stupid tests for your fucking research? Do you even realize that she is also a human like you and me?” Samantha was fuming now. “Thirteen years, Mom! For thirteen years, you've used her for your personal gains! To those old bastards and witches, Gladys Whitley may be the distinguished scientist and engineer whom they are proud to have! But to me…” Samantha trailed off, taking time to breathe as she shakes her head in disappointment. “… I don't even know who you are…”
 
Gladys was too shocked to speak. As rebellious as she has known her only daughter to be, she never knew that she has such a strong opinion of her. She stared at Samantha in disbelief and Samantha stared back harshly.
 
At that moment, the bodyguards barged in with their guns ready in their hands. They were waiting downstairs when they heard the outburst. Reckoning something was wrong, they rushed towards the source. But when they saw it was only the mother and daughter locked in a fight, they backed off a little.
 
“Dr. Whitley?” The head called out in concern.
 
Gladys looked up teary-eyed and waved a hand of dismissal. At that moment, a muffled sound came from within the wardrobe. All of them turned to look at the wardrobe at the same time.
 
Then everything seemed to happened in slow motion.
 
Samantha and the bodyguards began rushing towards the wardrobe at the same time. Just as one of the bodyguards was about to reach for the knob, Samantha delivered a flying kick at the bodyguard that sent him crashing some others behind. The others left standing immediately pointed their guns at her while she shielded her wardrobe with her hands outstretched.
 
“Nobody touches my wardrobe!” Samantha declared, sounding determined.
 
Helpless, the bodyguards turned to look at Gladys for help. Gladys looked intimidating when she said, “Get out of the way, Sam.”
 
Samantha hovered between irritation and anxiousness. They are surrounded, no matter how she looked at it. But when she glanced at her mother, in fact, behind her, a sparkle of hope flashed across her mind. `Perhaps…'
 
Gladys watched Samantha stepped away from the wardrobe cautiously and walked to stand by her side. Her daughter looked surprisingly cool as she folded her arms across her chest and taps her foot. Gladys turned her gaze away from her daughter and gave a go-ahead nod to the bodyguards.
 
As the wardrobe door was being pulled open, it suddenly dawned on her that something was amiss - Samantha was too obliging.
 
Normally, Samantha Whitley would have insisted her way no matter what.
 
“Stop!” Gladys shouted.
 
But it was too late.
 
Everything started to happen at the same time.
 
The door bounded opened and their malamute lunged at the bodyguards. At the corner of her eyes, Gladys caught something crawling out from under the bed but she didn't get a clear look for she was given a harsh push by Samantha, which sent her crashing towards her bodyguards. Gladys Whitley was enraged she got on her feet with the help of her bodyguards. Her spoiled daughter has been getting really out of hand and by hook or by crook, Samantha was going to get the disciplinary action she deserves today.
 
But when she whirled around to face Samantha, when she saw who was beside her, her anger just dissipated. Instead, she found her breath caught at the back of her throat.
 
Right beside Samantha at the French window, stood Alix Zala. An `alive' Alix Zala.
 
Under the light, the translucent white dress she wore revealed the abrasions and faded scars underneath, which was startling to see. Samantha was gripping her wrist and seemed to ready themselves to jump. Alix looked panic-struck and keeps pulling back at the same time casting backward glances at them.
 
The bodyguards pointed their guns at the two in unison, which drove Samantha up the wall when she half whirled around and saw them.
 
“We're going to jump, Alix!” Samantha announced vehemently, tightening her hold on Alix's wrist. When she looked down again, she prayed that it was not as high as she saw it to be. She quickly scanned around for some kind of a cushion.
 
There were none.
 
“Damn it, Alix!” Samantha spat. “We're going to jump and we're going to die!”
 
Alix shook her head and Samantha was unsure what she meant. Anyhow, Samantha ignored her gesture and said, “If I can't save you, I will die with you. We should rather die than suffer such humiliation.”
 
“For how long are you going to continue this foolishness?” Gladys interrupted, rolling her eyes. Maybe she should seriously consider transferring her daughter into an arts school. She waved her hand to get her bodyguards to retract their guns and placed her hands on her hips. “Even Alix knew it was stupid to jump down from here.”
 
“Huh?” Now, Samantha felt stupid. She turned to look at Alix, incredulous. “You think so?”
 
Alix nodded her head. And Samantha thought she looked pallid.
 
Alix felt ill. There was a knot in her chest, like something was traveling up within her…
 
“Be brave, Alix! We'll make it somehh...ArrgghhAAH!!”
 
Out of everyone's surprise, Alix had thrown up the ice cream she ate a while ago on Samantha, in fact, all over her. Right after, she felt faint. And the last word that was ringing vehemently in her ears before her world went black was her own name.