Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Equal In Life ❯ Unintended Detour ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Here goes my first attempt at a Gundam Seed fic…

Summary: It's a few months after the war when Athrun, Cagalli, Lacus, and Kira unexpectedly come across a few of their old friends. In order to "catch up", they make a slight change of plans, which causes them to end up stranded. While being "stuck", they contemplate about how peace will truly affect people. Athrun and Cagalli worry about where their relationship will go, Kira still tries to deal with his guilt, Miriallia attempts to move on, and Yzak tries to clear his confused mind. And not to mention, the peace might not last too long…

Basically a lot of pairings with an interesting storyline to set things all up. Athrun/Cagalli (duh), Kira/Lacus, some subtle Milly/Dearka, and Yzak/OC

Hope you enjoy it! =)

* * *

CH. 1: Unintended Detour

"Hurry up boys!" Cagalli shouted to them. Many steps away from the girls, Athrun and Kira followed along, trying to keep their balance while carrying all the luggage.

"Why do girls always bring so much?" Kira wondered.

"I have no idea." Athrun answered while slanting to one side to keep from falling face down. "I expected as much from Lacus, but with Cagalli, well, I expected her to carry…less."

"I guess we just have to deal with it." Both of them laughed heartedly.

"Now what are you two so happy about?" Cagalli asked, giving them a suspicious look.

"Nothing." They both shook their heads.

"Well then, I'll just have to figure out for myself." Cagalli gave her trademark smirk.

"Thank you for carrying my things Kira." Lacus suddenly said, slightly blushing. Kira blushed back.

"They really need to start admitting their feelings for each other." Cagalli whispered into Athrun's ear as he leaned towards her. Unfortunately, due to the weight of the luggage, Athrun almost tripped over, causing Cagalli to wrap her arms around him instinctively. They stayed in that position, looking into each other's eyes, until…"

"I think that's a bit too much public display of affection there."

Instantly they backed away, both faces crimson. Athrun turned around to face the speaker. "Dearka!" And not far too behind him stood another gundam pilot. "Yzak!" Dearka had a smirk on, while Yzak looked, well…Yzak. "What are you two doing here?"

"I would like to ask the same to you." Dearka replied. "Don't you people have to be in a meeting somewhere?" Then eyeing Cagalli, he smirked, "Especially your girlfriend over there."

"Well, that is," Athrun explained, after getting over the initial embarrassment, "people were getting agitated because not much was getting done, so the council decided to resume the meetings after the year ends." He breathed a sigh of relief. "And with the way things are turning out, a little Christmas break would do everyone good."

"Yea, I doubt being stuck with those old, pompous senators would be good for anyone's health." Dearka commented, laughing. "Besides, that's basically what's happening in ZAFT too. We don't have much to do until all the negotiations are finished, so they let us off for awhile."

"Oh, so what are you two going to do now?" Lacus suddenly asked, curious.

"We were trying to catch a shuttle to anywhere. Just needed a change of setting. Besides," Dearka kept his voice low, so Yzak wouldn't overhear. "Yzak needs to assimilate more, and this is the perfect opportunity to do so." The group then took a quick peek at Yzak, and could tell right away that he felt out of place.

"He's still not very accepting about the whole Coordinator and Natural situation, is he?" Kira asked.

"I wouldn't exactly say that." Dearka replied, scratching his head. "He's just confused, that's all. Still needs to think it over."

"Well, that's good…" Athrun stopped when he realized Dearka's mind had wandered to something else. Or rather, to someone.

"Is…is that who I think it is?" He stammered, while looking past Cagalli's shoulder. The group turned around, and found a very hassled looking girl.

"Miriallia!" Kira waved. Seeing Kira, she walked towards him with a smile. But after seeing everyone else, she looked a bit uneasy. She was no longer angry with Athrun for Tolle's death, but she still felt awkward around him. And not to mention Dearka…

"So, uh…how's everyone doing?" She managed to put on a nervous smile.

"We're doing fine." Kira reassured her. "I heard that you were interested in photography now days. How is that going?"

"I'm not sure about that quite yet." She replied, slightly fidgeting. "Right now I'm just trying to get back to earth. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any seats available. I should have known better than to not plan ahead during this time of the year."

Cagalli suddenly had a brilliant idea. "I know! Why don't we all go to earth together? Us four were headed there already, Dearka and Yzak wanted to go somewhere, and you needed to figure out a way to go back."

"Are you sure you won't mind?" Miriallia asked. "I don't want to cause trouble."

"It's fine." Kira answered, "Although it might be a bit uncomfortable because we were going on a small shuttle since it was initially only the four of us."

"Maybe we could trade shuttles." Lacus suggested.

"Great idea! Let's ask." With that, Cagalli dragged Lacus all the way to the nearest desk while the rest of them sweat-dropped.

"Excuse me, but are there any spare shuttles we could trade with?" Cagalli asked impatiently.

"Well, there is one, but miss…"

"Which one is it?" She asked excitedly.

"It's number 253, but miss…"

"Okay, we'll be taking that." She broke him off abruptly and continued to drag the others to the shuttle's general vicinity. "Oh, and we'll be going to Orb!" She shouted from far away. The man just shook his head. They've find out soon enough.

* * *

"This shuttle seems nicer than the other one." Lacus remarked.

"And definitely bigger." Cagalli added, looking around.

"Looks like someone's coming in." Kira mentioned towards the door. All eyes turned towards it, as a blond, jade-eyed girl walked through it. Seeing them, she looked quite confused.

"Oh, am I in the wrong shuttle?" She asked sweetly.

"Well, actually…" Athrun started to answer when the man from the desk rushed in.

"I'm so sorry miss." He lowered his head apologetically. "I tried to tell them, but they insisted that they needed to trade shuttles."

"It's alright." She smiled. "The other shuttle will probably take me to earth faster." Her eyes lit up in amusement. "Besides, I'm surprised that you didn't recognize them."

"Recognize them?" The man asked quizzically.

"Thank you for letting us trade in such a short notice." Lacus interrupted.

"No problem." Then with a small wave, she walked out, followed by the man, who still murmured apologies.

"That was nice of her." Cagalli remarked.

"Yea, but I wonder who she was."

* * *

"We are nearing the earth's atmosphere." The pilot announced.

"Cagalli, wake up." Athrun insisted, while gently shaking her.

"Huh? What happened?" She looked at him with sleepy eyes.

"We're almost there."

"Already?" Still drowsy, she leaned against Athrun's shoulder.

"Ugh! Like I said, tone it down a bit." Dearka teased.

"What did you say?" Cagalli flared up, now completely awake.

"You guys…" Athrun sweat-dropped.

But their little squabble was interrupted as the group slammed headfirst onto the seats in front of them.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing?" Cagalli yelled at the pilot.

Instead of an apology, all that came from the front was a panicked cry. "What's going on?" The group headed towards the front of the plane.

"The plane…it's out of control!" The pilot yelled. "It malfunctioned somehow. We need to get out of here!"

Not even bothering to think twice, the group headed towards the escape pods. "They're not functioning!" Miriallia yelled, her face turning white.

"We need to land somehow." Athrun reasoned.

"I can't…I just can't." The pilot stammered.

"Well, we need to do something!" Cagalli screamed, frustrated.

Athrun looked at Kira. Kira looked back. Then they both nodded. "It's different from piloting a gundam, but we have to try." They both ran into the control room, getting ready hit the atmosphere.

Three, two, one…everything turned black.

* * *

Well, there's my first chapter. How was it? Please tell me! =)