Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Equal In Life ❯ Shopping Craziness ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Ch.5: Shopping Craziness
 
(12:00 P.M.)
 
 
"Here we are." Arabella announced as the car came to a stop.
 
"The weather doesn't seem to be that bad." Cagalli commented as she poked her head out the window.
 
"Like I said."
 
"It's too bad Yzak decided to not join us." Lacus remarked as she got out of the car. "The fresh air might have done him some good."
 
"Yzak's always stubborn like that." Dearka answered. "If he doesn't want to do something, he doesn't. On the other hand, if something catches his attention, he's obsessed."
 
"That's a very nice way to talk about your friend." Arabella chided jokingly. Dearka merely shrugged.
 
"So what are we going to do?" Cagalli asked, excited.
 
"Well, there's the amusement park, movie theaters, shopping malls..." Arabella went on. "But the real question should be what are you going to do, not we."
 
"Eh?"
 
"I have to go back and finish some paper work that's going to take a couple hours." She explained.
 
"But then wouldn't we get lost?"
 
"Well..." Arabella reached into one of her pockets and handed each one of them mini communicators. "That's for just in case. Oh, and how about meeting back here around 6:00 P.M. for dinner?" Everyone nodded his or her heads. "Great! I'll see you then." The group waved good-bye as she left.
 
"So anyone want to do anything particular?" Athrun asked.
 
"Well, shouldn't we be buying some gifts?" Miriallia suggested.
 
"Oh, that's right! Christmas is...only three days away!" Cagalli exclaimed. "I completely forgot because of all the crazy things that have been happening."
 
"Shopping sounds good..." Athrun replied, although the look on his face told otherwise. "But maybe we should do that later, because...you don't want to lug around bags all day."
 
"Um...that's right...say Lacus, maybe we should head that way." Kira said nervously while leading Lacus far away from the rest of the group before she got it into her head that shopping was a good idea. After all, she wouldn't be the one that would end up carrying everything.
 
"Looks like those two are heading off on their own." Cagalli smirked. But her smirk soon turned into excitement. "Hey Athrun, what's that over there?" The next minute she was four blocks away, dragging a helpless Athrun. Dearka and Miriallia sweat-dropped, watching the two couples heading towards different directions.
 
x x x
 
(Miriallia POV, 1:30 P.M)
 
He was still following me. After seeing the rest of the group go their separate ways, I decided to stick to my original plan and go shopping. Actually, it was better this way. Now they won't know what I'm going to buy for them until Christmas morning. Of course, I never expected him to come along. After trying to lose him in the crowd, I gave up and acknowledged him. "Dearka, why are you here?"
 
"Because I have nowhere else to go." He replied matter-of-fact. "I didn't want to intrude on Zala and his girlfriend, or Yamato and his." Then he put on his infamous smirk. "Besides, don't you want some company?" I rolled my eyes at his response. He had an excuse for everything. But maybe he was right to some point. I would have probably gotten bored by myself. After all, I still had more than four hours to go. Of course, not that I'm going to admit that to him.
 
"All right, you could come along." Elated, he linked his arms with me.
 
"So, who are you buying gifts for?"
 
"Cagalli, Lacus, Arabella, Athrun, Kira, Yzak..." I listed while unlinking my arm from his. People might start thinking that we were together...
 
"What about me?" I stared at him, giving him back a smirk. About time he tasted his own medicine. "You are going to get me something, aren't you?"
 
"Depends on how nice you are to me today." I gave him an evil wink.
 
"Come on, I need to figure out what to get everyone." I laughed, sensing his distress. For once, I had control, not the other way around. This was going to fun.
 
"So...do you need me to do anything?" He asked nervously.
 
"Actually..."
 
Soon, Dearka became a human clothes hanger, due to the amount of clothes I piled onto him. "I...can't...move..." He managed to stammer. "And these...are chocking...me." He added, drawing my attention to four scarves that were twisted around his neck. I had to do everything in my will power to keep from bursting out laughing.
 
"But I need to see how they look on a person." I added innocently. But then seeing Dearka's face turn red from lack of air, I decided that he endured enough for one day. "All right, all right, you can put it all back. I think I figured out what to get..."
 
x x x
 
(Dearka POV, 3:30 P.M.)
 
We finally managed to get out of the store. Not that Miriallia had any trouble finding anything. But the line...now that was a different story. Why does everyone have to shop so last minute? I still have a headache...
 
"Are you hungry?" She suddenly asked.
 
"A little bit." Now that she mentioned it, my stomach was growling.
 
"Well, maybe we could get something light before dinner." She suggested. "We did skip lunch after all."
 
Inside I was dying. But I replied simply, "That's fine." So we proceeded to the food court, to find another crowd. Not again...
 
"Why don't you go and save a table while I stay in line?" She suggested, thankfully. Luckily she didn't buy the jackets she had been eyeing earlier (those would have weighed a ton), but I still felt sore, so sitting down was a very good idea. "Anything you particularly want?" She asked.
 
"No, anything would be fine." I watched as she turned back towards the line. Sitting by a table, I continued to stare at her, and thankfully she didn't notice. She seemed happy today, unlike her usual self. Maybe she's learning to let go...Suddenly, I began to boil inside with anger. What did he have that I don't have! What makes him so special that she completely disregards me? What makes her choose him over me? Besides, who can resist me? Okay, the last comment, when said to my friends back in the war days, would cause Nicol to look the other way, Athrun to cough, and Yzak to roll his eyes, but besides that...But what made me really angry was that he still haunted her, never letting her go, never letting her be happy...
 
"Dearka?" I broke out of my thoughts. How long has she been standing there? She smiled slightly as she sat down across from me. "You suddenly got quiet."
 
"Well, it's not as if I had a choice." I grumbled. Good save.
 
"So how have you been?" She asked, suddenly changing the subject.
 
I shrugged. "Just the usual. Nothing much going on with ZAFT. So I just bored myself spending time with Yzak. He really needs a life. Not to mention a girlfriend."
She raised an eyebrow. "Don't you think you're being a bit hypocritical there?"
 
"No. Besides, I'm not as up tight as he is." I replied, giving her a wink.
 
"Whatever you say." She answered sarcastically, rolling her eyes. The food suddenly became very interesting.
 
"And what about you?" I asked, after couple minutes of silence.
 
"Just wandering around. Trying to figure out what to do with my life and picking up the pieces." She replied with a sigh. I decided not to press the subject.
 
"Everyone seems so happy." She suddenly commented. "Of course, it's a good thing that the war ended. But..."
 
"You lost more than you gained. Is that what you're trying to say?" I answered for her.
 
"Yes."
 
We stayed quiet for the rest of the time, staring into open space. Even amongst the depression and chaos, it seemed...nice. Almost like a date. Of course, if anyone asked, both of us would deny it the next second. But then again, maybe that's just the way it is.
 
x x x
 
 
Okay...end of chapter! )
 
Hopefully the characters weren't OOC.
 
So, how was the chapter?
 
(Maybe I'm taking things too slow? Oh, and maybe a bit too angsty?)