Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Everything for Her ❯ Is It Enough? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Summary: Kira is in doubt whether he had been there for Lacus enough.

Notes: Characters in the story might appear OOC . I am an amateur writer and apologizes for any grammar and spelling mistakes. I hope you will like the story. :”)

Disclaimer: Gundam Seed and its characters are not mine. (Though I wish they were…)

“Sure, Lacus.”

Kira Yamato, also known as the prominent Ultimate Coordinator last Valentine War, regrets those very words he would always, whether unconsciously or not, answers to the beauty across the room.
Anything she would ask him, and she wouldn’t need to worry. For his answer would always be the same.

“Can you accompany me to the mall, Kira?”

“The beach looks nice; would you like to go Kira?”

“Kira! I think something is wrong with Pink-chan. Could you please take a look on him? Please Kira.”

And expectedly, she would always get the same reply.

“Sure, Lacus.”

Cagalli would always tease him about it. Saying, that Lacus might as well ask Kira to marry her; and he would say yes.
Though admittedly, Kira likes the idea; if ever Lacus would ask him, which is obviously unethical, he doesn’t agree with his twin sister. He is simply available at whatever Lacus would ask him and thus, he would affirm to her wishes.
And hell, he won’t show to his sister that he is a wimp. That he is easy to be moved. No.

And then there will be her sister’s fiancée, Athrun Zala. His bestfriend. But whenever he and Cagalli would visit the orphanage, it would make him think whether they were really bestfriends.
The reason would be is that his so-called bestfriend would always bug him to no end. Whether he intends to do it or not, he irritates Kira. Kira was hypersensitive to him. And he doesn’t plan to share that to any other person. Not even Lacus.
He irritates Kira by either pushing him to share stories of his and Lacus’ night together, or asking him about suggestions for his and Cagalli’s wedding ; which Kira knows nothing about, or worst, asking him if ever he had made the move.

And what would Athrun get in the end?

A big scowl on Kira’s face.

Quite uncharacteristic, but it was always on his face when there is an Athrun involved.

“Come on Kira. Don’t tell me you kept Lacus waiting? ”

“None of your business, Athrun. You should thank me I even let you touch Cagalli more so, let you live after you asked her hand in marriage without my consent. ”

And just like that, Athrun would change the subject back to square one. It would not be good to get on the bad side of a coordinator, for they are excelled humans or whatsoever. Worse, if it’s the Ultimate coordinator.

One reason of his irritation is that Athrun would literally cling on Cagalli. Usually, he and Cagalli would take their time talking about each other’s lives. Athrun would play with the children. Lacus would be cooking dinner together with his mother, Caridad. But once Athrun slipped that damn metal (how Kira mentally views it) on Cagalli finger, it was like Cagalli adopted a personal monkey. And since then, the twins haven’t got their precious talk time without a monkey Athrun beside Cagalli.
Honestly, it also intrigued Kira why he suddenly felt unpleased by their open display of affections wherein, he didn’t really minded it in the past. He felt it was because he and Lacus didn’t get to do that in their own home wherein the other couple had. But Lacus once told him that it probably was because of his sister-complex. She told him that he might not be ready to give her sister to other man because he was not with his sister for a long time either.
And Kira believed and submitted to that reason. He believed Lacus entirely, and even promised to her that he would stop himself from creating any physical pain on his monkey- rather, buddy.

That was the sole reason Cagalli was on the floor clenching her stomach in a tight grip, and tears pouring from her eyes.
She was laughing.

“It wasn’t meant to amuse you Cagalli.” Kira felt he most likely had a scowl on his face now.

“Ahaha.. Sorry Kira. I just… Hahaha!”

If possible, Kira’s frown just became deeper. He considered going to the kitchen to help Lacus but before he could stand, a hand pulled his wrist and made him sat down again.

“O-okay. Sorry about that. Really. Man, Lacus really had you wrapped around her finger. What she says, you worship. ” Cagalli was still fighting giggles but managed to compose herself before Kira could yank her hand free.

Kira rolled his eyes. “I love her Cagalli. I thought that was natural. ”

“I asked you why you’re being moody these days and what I get would be this chunk of information. Heck brother! I didn’t know you were keeping this all to yourself. Though I wouldn’t guarantee to abide to your wishes regarding the wedding, you should’ve told me. ” Cagalli said with a slightly worried expression.

“I know you won’t Cagalli. You love him.”

“So much. You know he always comes first. ” Cagalli grinned.

“First? How about me?” Kira asked, almost pleadingly.
Cagalli fought the urge to giggle. It was as Lacus had said; Kira didn’t want to be second. Moreover, second to his sister with Athrun being her first. Guess she would’ve to tug his brother’s ego just a little bit and get his mind made up.

“Aw.. Touché, brother. But you already have Lacus. Wouldn’t that make me your second too? ” Cagalli asked, faking curiosity.

Kira blinked. Cagalli? Second? True, he 24/7 worries about Lacus’ well-being but obviously, nothing comes first than familial love. Right?

Noticing Kira’s troubled look, Cagalli sighed that caught Kira’s attention so he faced her.

“Put it this way Kira. What if, I and Lacus were kidnapped by a random bunch of idiot guys? Who would you save first? ”

“Lacus, of course.” Kira answered with a you-know-that look.

Cagalli nodded understandingly with an eyebrow raised. “Hmm… Care to tell me why?”

“Because probably you would be busy punching the lights out of those guys.”

Cagalli shrugged. “Hmm.. True enough. ”

“But I would worry first of your well-being more than anything. ”

“And why not of Lacus? Last time I checked that girl couldn’t even swack a fly. ” Curious.

Kira in turn, just shrugged and faced the television in front of them. The television was featuring Lacus doing an announcement in front of a large audience. She gave off a feeling of security and power with a face so serene yet brave. Certainly, she is fitting for the position.

“I don’t know.”

“Hmm?”

“Maybe.. Maybe it’s because she’s strong. ..Lacus is strong enough not to need me. ” Kira regarded with a solemn face.

Cagalli could tell what Kira was thinking. She could tell Kira was feeling useless that he couldn’t anything to help Lacus. He felt troubled that only Lacus was doing the hard part and he… Ironically, without a mobile suit, he was useless. He wants to feel needed. He wants to feel needed most especially by Lacus. And because he wasn’t, he in turn goes to Cagalli only to find her with another to lean her shoulder to. He was not used to this.
Sure, Lacus once told him that she would now be the one fighting. But shouldn’t they be fighting together? It was not too much to ask.

“Pathetic brother. Too occupied in your own feelings and haven’t regarded Lacus’ at all.” Cagalli cuddled a pillow and rested her chin on it. Her eyes too were on the screen.

Kira faced Cagalli. “What do you mean?”

Cagalli huffed. “Can’t you see? ” She started to use her hands to emphasize. “All these requests. All these things you’re always saying “Sure, Lacus” for. They’re her ways to make you feel needed. It’s just you and your ego wanting for more.”

Kira looked dumbstruck. Realization dawned on him. That’s why he was frequently getting a lot requests from Lacus. A small smile appeared on his face on the thought that Lacus really cared for his well-being as much as he cares for her. A quick glance at the TV screen and Kira was back to his thoughts. As fast as the realization struck him, did the doubts came.

“And what is this now?” Cagalli asked, one eyebrow rose.

“Hmm.. I just don’t want her doing these things alone. Now I know how she feels whenever I’m in the battlefield. Though, I think it’s much harder for her since there is absolutely nothing I could do for her now. She… She supported us all throughout the war and now I…. ” Kira narrowed his eyes afterwards.

Cagalli sighed deeply. “Kira… ” Cagalli put her hand on Kira’s shoulder. “Lacus does these all for you. She does these all because she didn’t want to experience the same thing all over again. It hurts me to see you like that. Just imagine how it would to her. And thus, she does these all alone because she doesn’t want you anywhere near to what happened. You just have to understand her. She does these all for you.”

Despite Cagalli’s attempts to drill the forsaken thoughts into her twin’s head, Kira still had doubts lingering in his mind.

“I.. Know that Cagalli. And I love her for that. ”

Cagalli groaned. “Then what the hell is wrong?! Why can’t that pathetic somber look on your face go away? I thought we came to an understanding?” If the person in front of her wasn’t her brother she might just strangle him to death. But what interrupted her from her inner agony is that he heard his brother laughing.

He was laughing at her.

“Are you laughing at me?” Cagalli questioned with a slight authorative tone.

But Kira just kept laughing.

A nerve twitched on Cagalli’s forehead.

“I swear Yamato, if you conti- Wa!”

Cagalli was cut through by his brother pushing to his chest and gave her a tight hug, too tight much to her liking.

“Thanks, Cagalli. “ Kira said with a smile.

Though Cagalli was glad her brother was finally putting on a smile, she was in desperate need for air.

“Su-sure Kira. But you-you’re ki-killing me.”

She heard a light chuckle and she was free. Taking a big gulp of her with satisfaction, she looked for her brother finding him gone beside her. She heard a noise that quickly told her that Kira was at the door.

“I’m going to help Lacus at the kitchen. How about you? ”

“Hmm? Oh, I’ll wait for Athrun here. He’s on his way.We’ll join you there afterwards.”

Kira slightly winced at the mention of Athrun but quickly covered it. He decided not to probe anymore with her sister and his best friend’s matters and made a mental note to have a talk with Athrun sometime later.

“Okay. We’ll be at the kitchen then.”

Cagalli looked a bit surprised but managed to mutter a small ‘sure’.

“Cagalli.” Kira called her name to gain her attention.

“Hmm?”

Kira contemplated first whether to tell what was in his mind and came to a conclusion that he could-or rather should.

“Just to let you know, I had rejected Lacus several times also.”

And all that was heard afterwards is the silent thump of the door closing.

Minutes passed in silence before a rather loud laugh was heard from the living room causing the two people in the kitchen to flinch.

“Kira? Cagalli seemed happy. ” Lacus asked the moment she felt Kira stood beside her.

“Don’t mind her. You know, being the Orb representative for a long time had some.. effects on her brain. ”

Lacus giggled. This brought a huge smile on Kira’s face. “I suppose. Though I don’t think Cagalli won’t be too happy to hear that. ”

Kira grinned then shrugged. “Well, we’re the ones cooking, right?”

“I heard that Kira Yamato!”

And again, this earned a laughed from the kitchen.

Lacus giggled a little more before a thought crossed her mind.

“Oh! The dinner’s almost ready. Kira, could you go and call the children for me. Please, I promise to make it up for you later. ” Lacus asked Kira with eyes that made every fiber in the said coordinator to melt to goo. He hasn’t got the heart to reject Lacus’ request but he knew he had to prove his point a while ago to Cagalli with her now probably anticipating for his answer.

Kira took a deep breath and heaved a sigh. “Sure, Lacus.”

Lacus looked worryingly at Kira but Kira eased her worries with a smile. Lacus then smiled at him lovingly and this made Kira to move rather clumsily with a red face.

“The children are at the beach right? I’ll go get them.”

The whole request wasn’t really bad. In fact, he liked the fact that he could at least make Lacus happy. But what he grudgingly disliked was that in getting to the beach he had to pass the living room, wherein there settled was Cagalli. He expected her to look at him with a grin on her face.

And she didn’t disappoint. In fact, a lot more. She was grinning from ear to ear. And was muttering phrases like ‘Ultimate Coordinator weak against a girl’ or ‘Wimp’ or worse, ‘told you so’. Kira ignored her while passing through the front door. Successful, he began the walk to the beach thinking how he agrees to what his sister teases him about.

But what they didn’t know is that how much he regrets every time he answers her that phrase is beaten by the loving smile he always gets from her afterwards.
All throughout, he wasn’t really complaining. Was he?