Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Eternal ❯ Prologue: Lunar Prep ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: Story may contain mild profanity and may provoke mild to moderate insanity.
 
Yasuo: Okay not really. Points to the insanity part But you can't blame me for wanting to put in a joke.
 
Yarisha: Hey everyone! ^-^ Because I finally forgave Yasuo for our argument he has to write this. I'd say it looks pretty darn good for a guy who doesn't like writing that much.
 
Yasuo: I like writing! …When it's convenient.
 
Athrun: Which means almost never.
 
Kira: Disclaimer: Yasuo, the author (and living muse for Yarisha), does not own Gundam Seed or it's characters. They belong rightfully to the companies who purchase them and to Hajime Yatate and Yoshiyuki Tomino. Original characters do, however, belong to him, including; Kohji, Misota, and various other characters.
 
Yasuo: I really do hope you all enjoy this story. I had several writer's blocks.
 
Kira and Kohji: Enjoy everyone!
 
Italics = Thoughts
 
(A.N: …) = Author's
 
*_* = End and Start of story
 
*~* = Scene change
 
Bold = quotes or semi important words
 
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
 
We have three kinds of friends: those who love us, those who are indifferent to us, and those who hate us.
 
S. Chamfort
 
*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
 
A young brown haired boy sat on his bed in his under garments, staring at his blanket with no particular emotion showing. Downstairs he could hear his father preparing their breakfast meal, so that he could leave the house quickly. He moved from his spot on the bed to the window right next to it. He looked out onto the grass-covered surface of Colony 14, his home. He was leaving for school in the next few minutes and these images would need to be seared into his memory. “Kohji! Get ready quickly; the main bus will be here shortly! I'm not going to let you miss it because you don't want to go to the Lunar Prep School!” His father, Mr. Misaki, yelled at him as several plates clanged together, being mishandled carelessly. Kohji got up from his bed and moved about his room, as he began the well-practiced ritual of getting ready. A quick shower and other hygienically related activities were finished first and after remembering his shoes where in the entrance hall, he placed his clothes on and headed downstairs. In silence, only his steps being heard, he reached the last step and fixed his black button up shirt over his jean-covered hips. Glancing into the mirror in the hall, he nodded in approval at his look and walked to his father with a small frown. His father looked him over, before he tousled the boy's hair into the right place and grinned, announcing, “You're all ready, now! Grab your toast and your bag and go outside.” He paused as a loud mechanical beep emitted from outside the door. His father grinned again and noticed the boy's crestfallen look. “The bus wouldn't miss this stop. So, stop sulking!” Kohji grabbed his food and finished it quickly, grabbing his bag and placing his shoes on, he was followed to the entrance door. His father frowned at him and gave him a finally farewell. “When you come back to see me, when I'm an old man… I expect you to be a great coordinator with a family and lots of friends. If you don't, then don't come back!” His father yelled, pushing the young thirteen-year-old boy out into the driveway, the door slamming closed behind him. “Thank you for everything, father.” Kohji muttered to the door, before making his way to the bus. What his father had said wasn't harsh or cruel, but more of an extreme anxiety.
 
Of course Mr. Misaki had loved Kohji, he was after all his son, but bringing up young boy for 12 years without a wife was stressful - that was understandable. Before Kohji had enough of a memory span to remember the woman he had lost her early on, and his father was the only parent he had known ever since. Of course the old man was strict and mean every once in a while but it never bother Kohji. He had made a promise to his father when he was little that he would be a successful young man when the time came that he would be on his own. His father was proud to see this day come, but Kohji knew he was also happy to see the burden of taking care of his son go. They weren't exactly a rich family. He stepped onto the bus and took one glance back to his house, and there in the window watching him was his father, crying. Tears stung at Kohji's eyes as he waved good-bye and disappeared into the doors of the bus, leaving his father behind. He shook his head to clear himself of the thoughts and turned to pay the mechanically driver. Shifting his bag onto his shoulder and holding out his fee, he greeted the machine. The computerized voice that he had grown use to greeted him in a friendly manner, taking his money in its mechanical hands. “Listen, Koh,” The computer said in a human sounding voice, using the boy's nickname. “Avoid sitting with the women today. They're all in a really ghastly mood.” It warned as he put Kohji's money into the fee slot and motioned him onward. “Thank you.” Kohji said, bowing his head in acknowledgement, and heading forward through the aisle, looking into each seat. Finally finding a seat, where only a boy with shoulder length black hair sat, he sat down and placed his bag on the floor at his feet. The boy turned his head toward Kohji, before glancing back at the moving scene outside, smiling as he said, “Hello, my name is Athrun Zala. Who are you?” Kohji shrugged before replying. He kicked his bag into a comfortable position. “I am who I am. Kohji Misaki Asuka. Asuka is my mother's name, added onto mine when she passed on. Pleasure to meet you.” Athrun turned his gaze back onto him, his exotic green eyes twinkling in amusement, as Kohji gawked. “My eyes… are that color because I am a coordinator. You must be a natural, I gather from your reaction.” He said with mild interest. Kohji stuttered as he remember himself, “I…uh! No, I'm a coordinator also. But that's such a different sort of eye color. Their…beautiful.”
 
Athrun smiled at the praise and turned back to the window, which was one seat away from him. “I am waiting for someone. You don't have to move, but if you see a boy with short brown hair and lavender eyes around our age, tell me.” Kohji nodded numbly as the boy fell silent, closing his eyes. Kohji moved his own forest green eyes on the bus entrance, watching - without really seeing - the people get on. It went on like that for eighteen stops. They had reached Colony 17 and still no one who fit the description had come on the bus. Athrun, the boy from earlier, was already asleep and Kohji was about to join the program. He stared out the window, his arms crossed over his chest, as the bus stopped. Two people got on board, and the conversation between one of the bus-takers and the mechanical driver caught Kohji's interest. Feigning sleep, he closed his eyes and strained his ears to catch the words. “Thank you… uh… driver. I guess I'll see you in a few years.” Came a boy's voice, sounding around Kohji's own age of thirteen. “No problem, kid. It'll be odd not registering your presence and dropping you off. Are you heading to the Lunar Prep School?” The mechanically driver asked in the same human-like voice it had used with Kohji. “Ah…so you heard. Yes, I am. Nothing big. Good-bye.” Kohji jumped from his seat in surprise, conveniently hitting his head on the ceiling, at the mention of the school. As Kohji took his seat again, the woman behind the boy pushed him forward while yelling, “Move, coordinator! I have a client to meet on Colony 18 in ten minutes!” “Ah, um… sorry, ma'am.” The boy replied politely as he walked down the aisle, scanning the triple chaired seats for a decent spot. Kohji, rubbing his head, glanced at him, then did in double take in sheer shock. The boy in front of him was the one Athrun had described. As the brunette boy came to his side, Kohji semi-consciously grabbed his wrist, making the boy stop and stare at him. Kohji hesitated, before he said, “My, err, friend here told me to look for someone and you fit the bill.” The boy blinked and simply stared at him with an odd expression.
 
Kohji stood up to let the boy take the seat by the window, letting his hand go. The woman, who had been waiting to get by, grew impatient and pushed Kira into the seat and walked pass. Being pushed back, Kohji ended up in Athrun's lap, waking him up, and the boy in his own seat. “Ah, I'm sorry. Mrs. Misota can be quite a monster on her own time.” The boy said with a sheepish grin. “Don't worry about it. Now I've hit my head a second time!” Kohji complained as he opened his eyes against the pain in his head and looked up at Athrun with a nervous laugh. The latter looked down at him with an amused expression as he said, “There are easy ways to wake me up, Kohji.” Athrun turned to the other boy and gave him a friendly smile as he pulled out a picture and profile of the boy, handing it to him. “You're name is Kira Yamato, right? Coordinator, male, age 13, brown hair, lavender eyes, and blood type A.” He asked as Kohji shifted, trying to get out of his lap, only to realize he'd sprained his ankle with a groan of frustration and a bright red blush. The boy, looking quite surprised, nodded and asked, “You are?” Athrun smiled again and put his hand on Kohji's head. “I, my friend, am Athrun Zala, and this boy here in my lap is Kohji Misaki Asuka.” Kohji again blushed bright red in embarrassment and looked away. Kira smiled at the mortified boy and sat down correctly in Kohji's seat as Athrun helped Kohji into the seat next to the window. Shrugging, he said, smiling once more as Kohji took his seat with his remaining dignity, “It could be worse.” “Oh? Enlighten me on how.” Kohji retorted sternly. Kira opened his mouth to answer but Athrun cut across him, replying, “You could be my type.” That comment made Kohji keep quiet all the way to the second bus and beyond.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Kohji and Kira stared up at the huge entrance doors for the Lunar Prep School that they would attend. “Whoa.” “Awesome.” They muttered at the same time as they pulled their bags over one shoulder and headed in. Athrun was sitting in the main office when they arrived, and a slightly angry look played on his pale face. “That took you long enough. I've already got our room numbers and class schedule, while you two were flirting out front.” Athrun said with an annoyed tone. Before the other boys could answer, he grabbed their wrists and dragged them to the dorm buildings. As they pulled out of the entrance door, Kohji shouted, “Hey! Hold on. I didn't even get to see any other the other students in the school.” Athrun dropped their wrists but kept his pace, expecting them to follow. “Tough luck, Koh.” Athrun remarked, inadvertently calling the former by an affectionate nickname. Kohji stopped himself from correcting the boy, and instead settled for glaring at the ground. All they way to the to the dorms Kohji stayed quiet, and even though Athrun didn't notice, Kira did. “Kohji, what's wrong?” Kira asked in a hushed voice when Athrun had walked out of earshot to open the room door. Before he could react to Kira's question, an ear-shattering squeal caught their attention - and took five years off Kohji's life. “KOHJI!!” Before Kohji could even turn around, he was tackled to the ground and hugged roughly by a brunette haired girl. “What is this, Muneo? Football?” A tall boy with blonde hair and red spikes asked the girl, as he watched with a smile. “Junnichi, you ass, get her off.” Kohji rasped out as he tried to breathe, Muneo sitting on his chest smiling widely. Junnichi shrugged and moved forward to pry the young girl off but stop short as a small voice rang out, “Sister! Get off of him.” A boy with beautiful light brown hair and deep blue eyes stood glaring half-heartedly at the taller girl. Muneo sighed and nodded, getting up carefully and walking over to the smaller boy and holding his hand.
 
Kohji stood back up and stretched, his back popping back into place. “Thanks, Sugi-kun. I owe you for that. Any longer under you heavy sister and I'd be permanently injured.” Kohji chuckled out as he looked at the group of kids. The boy merely shrugged and held his sisters held more tightly. She smiled at him before turning back to Kohji. “Koh, who are those boys there?” Muneo asked as she smoothed his skirt with her free hand and then pointed to said boys. Kohji blinked in confusion. “Oh.” He mumbled as he turned toward Athrun and Kira, who sat silently against the wall, looking at the schedules and making small notes. “The one there, with the brown hair, is Kira Yamato and the boy next to him with the black hair is Athrun Zala. I met them on the main bus, and they're fun to hang out with.” Kira looked up and smiled light at Kohji, then pleasantly waved to Muneo, her brother, and Junnichi. Athrun ignored them all together as he wrote something next to his second period class. “What's the matter with Mr. Sunshine? Not a people person, Koh?” Junnichi asked bluntly as he flicked a red bang out of his face and lifted an eyebrow. Kohji shook his head and waved a hand of dismissal, not really caring about Athrun's behavior at the moment. Kira stood and bowed respectively toward Junnichi and muttered an apology for his companion's behavior, which the former received with a word of forgiveness. “It's not a big deal or anything, but could at least say hello, right, Tetsugi?” Muneo asked as she patted her little brother on the head with a cheerful smile. Tetsugi snorted and said, “He could at least put forth effort…” “Damn straight…” Junnichi muttered under his breath. Muneo shrugged happily before turning to Kohji. “Well, anyway, Koh, we'll be off now! Hope to see you soon!!” She sang out as she hugged him tightly and then tugged her brother away. Several minutes began to tick by as the four boys waited for someone to speak. Kira opened his mouth to say something, but Junnichi beat him to the punch. “I should go now. Oh and by the way, next time we meet Misaki, I'm gonna pound your face in.” Not waiting for a reply, Junnichi said with a grin as he took of running the other way. Kira smiled to himself as he stood up and walked to his brown haired friend. He hasn't changed, Kohji thought to himself. Athrun stood also, and stretched his arms over his head. “What was that about?” He asked putting away his things.
 
“Friendly rivalry. Junn and me have always fought with each other; it's how we… communicate. More importantly, why were you so deaf back there to my friends!?” Kohji glared at him darkly after he answered the question with one of his own. “I'm not a people person.” Athrun shot back simply. Short, sweet, and to the point. “Of course not! The day we met we just a fluke!!” Kohji glowered, grabbing his bag, he ran for his dorm, A135. Kira looked from the retreating back of his new friend to Athrun's downcast stare and mutter only loud enough for the former to catch, “That's not how you become close to him.” “I… know.” Athrun mumbled back.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“The welcome of the cold winter night.” Kohji mumbled out loud from where he stood on his dorm's balcony, surrounded by the ebony of night and shining of the stars. A yawn passed his lips as fatigue began to finally take over. He'd spent most of the night there, watching each star come to life, and in turn each light down in the school below go off. Behind him the dorms of the students were mainly dark, but most still had a few lights on. The saying “The lights in the house are on, but no one's home” came to mind every time he tried to think about. The absolute darkness of this colony gave the stars a chance to be admired. Athrun, Kohji thought. He had only known the boy for two days and he already wished he'd never sat down in that seat on that bus. He sat down on the railing and pulled a deck of red cards from his back pocket and began to shuffle them thoroughly. He mumbled Kira's full name and pulled a card from the top of the deck, flipping it to see it's reading. “Page of Pentacles. Male under thirty is high-spirited, engaging and optimistic. Makes friends easily. Sociable and charming. This person trusts you and looks out for you best interests. He will have an effect on your life.” Kohji blinked before laughing lightly. “Alright now, the other boy!” He pulled a second card from the deck his eyes closing to concentrate on Athrun's image. “King of swords. Usually conceals his emotions. Sharp intellect, analytical, and organized. Abrupt and judgmental. Natural leadership skills. Good instincts and common sense. High moral standards. Three guesses who.” “Athrun?” A voice called from behind him. “AH! Kira!! Don't sneak up on me!” Kohji shouted. “Shush. Everyone's asleep, be quiet.” Kira said smiling and he sat next to Kohji and slid his legs over the side of the balcony. “Athrun didn't mean to be mean, Kohji-kun. He's just very… uh, judgmental.” Kira whispered loud enough for Kohji to hear. He hummed in response, tapping the King of Swords tarot card on the railing between them. “Yes, well, that wasn't exactly what I meant, but whatever. Find it in your heart to forgive him. Please.” Kira pleaded, tears stinging at the back of his eyes and he looked at Kohji in deep sadness. Kohji turned from the look, trying to decide without Kira persuasions. He sighed heavily before turning back to Kira and smiling, his hands gathering his tarot cards, he said, “I will, because I trust your judgment, my friend.” “Good!” Clapped Kira.
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
From the end of the walkway, Kohji could see everything, and it was tearing him apart. In front of him stood Kira who was turned toward Athrun. Why were they here at this park built on the moon colony? For good-bye's of course. Kira stared up at Athrun, fighting back the tears that stung the back of his eyes; because this might be this might be the last time he ever saw him. “I think father worries far too much,” Athrun told him quietly, his young voice was soft and self-confident. It startled Kohji from his thoughts and calmed Kira. “There won't be a war between the PLANTs and Earth.” Kohji wasn't so sure, they knew that, but Kira nodded solemnly; he trusted Athrun. Athrun sighed heavily. “But they told us to evacuate anyway, so we have to go.” Kohji's head snapped up at that remark, and his stomach clenched as he willed back his tears. Kira looked down at the ground. Athrun and his parents were Coordinators, just like Kohji's family, but Kira was different. He was a first generation Coordinator, because his parents were Naturals. Although none of them completely understood the political reasons, it was obvious that their separation wasn't going to be avoided. Athrun smiled lightly. “Don't worry,” He encouraged gently. “You'll go to a PLANT soon, too, just like Kohji will in two months.” Kira looked up at both his friends' faces and smiled. Athrun continued, “Besides, I'm sure we'll meet again.” Kohji merely nodded silently, still not saying a word. Athrun was just about to leave before he turned back around and pulled a mechanical bird from his pocket and handed it to Kira. “I made it for you.” Kira smiled again and muttered a small, “Thanks.” He held the bird in his hands tightly and watched Athrun curiously as he walked over to Kohji, who was looking away. Athrun stopped right in front of him and waited a minute before throwing his arms around Kohji's neck and hugging him tightly, Kohji immediately responded.
 
Before they could stop themselves both Kohji and Athrun began to cry over each other's shoulders. It was like a dam breaking and it caused a chain reaction with Kira, who had a hard time keeping it all back. “You jerk. You can't leave us here to wait for a war can you?” Sniffed out Kohji, stepping back. Athrun sighed heavily and shook his head he turned away with a wave of his hand and walked away toward a limo waiting to take him away, and as he reached the door he turned back. He glanced at the friends he'd become so close to and smiled lightly as he noticed they were holding each other's hand. “Kohji,” Athrun shouted. “Take care of Kira.”
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
“You're father moved to the PLANT Junius Seven?” One boy asked Kohji as he sat down in the lunchroom. “Yes. He moved there after Colony 14 got scheduled for demolition.” Kohji answered before taking a bite of his celery and flipping open his book to where he'd left off. “Ah! Junius Seven, I wanna go there!” The boy next to Kohji declared. A blonde girl took a seat in front of them and smiled cutely while saying, “They say Junius Seven is the Coordinator paradise! Oh, it sounds so romantic!!” She squealed excitedly. “Speaking of which… Hey, Ko, where ya steal the ring from? Or are ya married?” The first boy asked with a sly grin. Kohji looked down at his right hand, and studied the golden band around his ring finger. Fingering the etching of `Eternal' in unique and smooth cursive on it, he pondered over the question and a smile graced his lips as he remembered exactly how he got it.
 
“Hey, um, Kohji?” Athrun asked attentively as he approached the brunette nervously, hiding a silver box wrapped in an emerald bow. Kohji immediately turned from his conversation with a red haired girl who said her goodbyes and bowed before quickly walking away, a smile escaping her collected mask, because she knew what Athrun was going to do. Of course only because Kira had told her earlier. “Yes, Athrun?” Kohji asked back, not in the least bit annoyed that Athrun had just ruined his chances at a date with said girl. Athrun cleared his throat rather loudly, his face slightly red as he pulled the box from behind him and held it before Kohji's face. The brunette blinked a couple of times before staring at Athrun who was staring at the ground from between his outstretched arms. Kohji grabbed the box gently and sat down on the ground, Athrun, still blushing, at his side. He carefully pulled off the ribbon, admiring it for a moment with his own emerald eyes, and pulled off the top of the box. He jumped slightly too, when the box gave a shudder and unfolded into six squares in his lap, revealing a gold ring with the word `Eternal' etched into it holding closed a small bag of chocolate. Kohji's eyes sparkled with delight at the sweets, before lifting the ring carefully up and examining it. He turned to Athrun who sat a little farther away his eyes closed before tackling him with a hug and practically yelling, “THANK YOU!” When they finally let go of each other they were bursting into fits of giggles, before they each finally stopped. Athrun held up his right hand, and on his ring finger sat an identical ring with the same word. “Kira has one too. Happy Valentine's Day, Koh.” Athrun said with a genuine smile he rarely used.
 
Kohji's shook his head mentally to rid him of that image of Athrun smiling, that was the last time he ever saw that, and now he hadn't even seen Athrun himself for almost four years. A year after Athrun had left, Kira did too, but for Heliopolis, and Kohji was left alone on a colony on the moon with a group of kids who only liked him because he had a reputation of being a street punk. “Are you going to tell us, Ko-kun?” The girl from earlier asked softly, startling Kohji from his thoughts. He smiled at her and she blushed lightly. He sighed and said, “Four years on this exact day of February fourteenth my friend, Athrun Zala, gave himself, another, and me three identical rings with `Eternal' written on them. He told me that Eternal could mean a lot of things but he had only one he liked, and that was Eternal Friendship. That was two months prior to his leaving of the PLANT and that was two months before I never saw him again. I haven't ever worn the ring after that, till now. It seems like it was time I finally put it back on and stopped sulking.” The girl let out a dumb, “oh.” The other two boys gave it a look of distaste but said nothing; Kohji shrugged, he wasn't expecting them to understand the value of this ring and why he'd never gotten rid of it. “Students! Report to the news auditorium! Junius Seven is under attack!!!” The words spilled out of the P.A. system and the bedraggled face on the image screen said everything. As soon as Kohji heard the colony's name he sprinted into the auditorium, the scene on the screen making his freeze at the entrance. His eyes glued to the screen as panic-stricken students filed pass, all he could really hear was the panicked voice of the Coordinator Reporter watching the attack from a good distance. “Tensions have soared between the Coordinators and Naturals. Earlier this evening a sneak attack on this Coordinator PLANT called Junius Seven - the only station capable of harvesting agriculture and feeding the rest of the Coordinator territory! So far the PLANT has been able to defend itself. Oh wait! A mobile armor carrier called Roosevelt has just entered the air space of the PLANT…” The reporter's eyes widen as she put her hand on her ear communicator and asked for the last bit of news to be repeated. “Oh my… OH MY! Just in, the mobile carrier has nuclear missiles stashed inside and…” A large bang went off and a flood of light blinded everyone watching as the reporter screamed. Kohji's heart rate shot through the roof, fear gripping his soul. F-father? He thought to himself, shaking. The light wore off and the whole school watched as Junius Seven exploded into pieces with a deafening blast. Everyone sat in shock. “I-it seems Junius Seven has been decimated, over two hundred and forty-three thousand people have just been massacred in an instant. T-this is M-mariea Chirstame, s-signing off.” She let out in a sobbed. Kohji staggered forward a few steps, shock wearing off; he could hear some of the students crying and others remaining silent. He fell to his knees with a choked sob, tears running down his face. Students and teachers alike rushed over to him with concern distorting their features. He stared at the ground, his eyes dilated as shock finally wore off. “Dad… you can't be dead. You can't be… FATHER!” He screamed as loud as he could, banging his left fist into the ground until it bled. He screamed, sobs and tears ripped from his body as it quaked on the ground. The people around him tried to get him to calm down, but to no avail.
 
This tragedy became a call to arms for young Coordinators, who rush to join the Zodiac Alliance of Freedom Treaty, or better known as ZAFT, army. Although the Coordinators were few in numbers compared to the vast amount of Naturals, their special abilities and enhanced technology make up for it and made them fearsome foes. Eleven months of intense fight have already passed…with no end in sight.
 
TBC…
 
*_*_*_*_*_*_*
 
Yarisha: Gasp Drama? He can write drama?
 
Yasuo: This, people, is an example of irony.
 
Yarisha: Shocked into a stupid look
 
Yasuo: Well. Whatta ya think? Stares at them intensely Think real hard. Now glaring
 
Athrun: That isn't very nice. Please tell us what you really think, but no flames.
 
Kohji: We really hope you enjoyed the prologue of Gundam Eternal.
 
Kira: So until the next chapter,
 
Kohji: GUNDAM ETERNAL, MAKING A SORTIE!
 
Athrun: GUNDAM JUSTICE, MAKING A SORTIE!
 
Kira: AND GUNDAM FREEDOM, MAKING A SORTIE!
 
Yasuo: Salutes with a handsome smile Till next time…