Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 05 A New Beginning ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (5/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“Man starts over again everyday, in spite
of all he knows, against all he knows.”
- Emile M. Cioran

PHASE 05
A New Beginning

Yzak paced, frowned, paced, clenched his fists, and paced some more. He was back at the Archangel. As much as the fact that the Eternal was supposedly a more comforting and familiar ship, the only person he really knew was at the Archangel---although, right now, Yzak didn’t really feel like talking to Dearka---so he went back right after he had talked to his mother. Murrue Ramius had been kind enough to let him room in one of the vacant quarters, and he was grateful. Although he had inflicted a lot of damage on the Archangel before, he was surprised that they were treating him like those events had never even happened. No one was being suspicious of him, and it irked him to no end to find the crew too trusting and friendly. No matter the ceasefire, he wasn’t a crewmember, and such trust was confounding.
But that wasn’t what he was pacing about. Far from it. Had there been a rug on the floor, he would’ve worn a hole through it already. His bias against the Naturals was no longer threatening, but he still couldn’t imagine how his mother could’ve turned 180-degrees in such a short span of time. Wasn’t she one of those who wanted to obliterate the Earth and rid the world of Naturals?
With a resigned sigh, Yzak intelligently concluded that his mother must have hit her head somewhere between the destruction of the Genesis and the order for a ceasefire.
The pale-haired pilot halted in his tracks and rubbed his temples. Heaving another sigh, he flopped on the bed, eagle-spread. He didn’t know what to think, and if he had been in the privacy of his own bedroom back home, he’d probably be throwing things right now.
Probably.
What do you mean, mother?” Yzak asked.
Just like what I said. I think it would be better for you to go back to Earth.”
Really now?” he asked, totally puzzled and just a tiny bit sarcastic.
His mother smiled and he didn’t know whether to smile back or grimace.
Yes.”
He wasn’t sure what his mother really wanted, and, for the life of him, he couldn’t figure out how his mother’s decision fit in the grand scheme of things. She didn’t exactly tell him the reason she wanted him on Earth and not back at PLANT. Sometimes, he just couldn’t help but believe that his mother’s sole purpose in life was to confuse the hell out of him. Or to annoy him---whichever his mother fancied to do at a specific occasion.
Damn.
o-o
Murrue had retired to her quarters after conversing with a few EA officials and issuing orders to her crew. They were ready to enter the Earth’s atmosphere; she was just waiting for the confirmation from the two other ships. For the meantime, she just wanted to lie down and not think of anything. Not the condition of the ship. Not the affairs when they landed. And especially not him.
Never him.
Because if she started to think of him, she wouldn’t be able to stop the tears from falling. She would break down, she knew, and she didn’t want that. The loneliness was too much. She had cried already. Once after witnessing his death, loud, angry sobs that fueled her to fire at the Dominion and see the war through, then another, not too long ago, when Lacus and Cagalli visited. It seemed as though no matter the amount of tears she let out, they were never enough. She couldn’t seem to stop crying, and it was making her feel weak.
Murrue Ramius was a strong woman. She had lost a loved one once, a mobile armor pilot, but she continued with her life, even making it a captain of a ship. She had led a small crew and inexperienced teenagers in battle, and she made each and every encounter through. She was tough. She was made of steel. So even when all she wanted to do was cry until there were no more tears left, she wouldn’t. There would be time later.
The brunette rolled on her side, curling into a fetal position. She yawned, finally feeling the exhaustion sweep through her, and for a blessed second, the heavens smiled upon her. For a while, she rested, letting sleep overwhelm and dull her senses. Their re-entry to Earth was still a few hours away, so she slept until that time came---until it was time for her to be in command again.
o-o
Lacus, along with Andrew Waltfeld, had just finished seeing off the vessels, which collected the remains of the ZAFT fleet and fetched their injured soldiers. They were all set to head to Earth, where Kira had said was home. The thought brought a warm sensation to her chest. She loved the idea. After all the political and military whatnot, she would get to learn her new friends more, especially the girls since it had been a very long time since she last hung out with just the “ladies.” She would get more acquainted with Miriallia, and she was positive that they would be good friends. And then there was the Princess of Orb. Sure, Cagalli acted tomboyish and tough, but Lacus thought there must be a side to her she hadn’t shown anyone yet. The blonde really piqued Lacus’ interest. Not only was she Kira’s twin sister, but she was also a certain someone’s concern.
She giggled to herself as she floated down several corridors trying to look for Kira. Though she really hadn’t seen anything physical, she felt Athrun was very much taken to the hyperactive princess. It was too obvious to miss, but of course---as she saw it---they were taking their own sweet time trying to see where one thing would lead to another.
Lacus turned another corner.
Although she and Athrun were previously engaged, there were no bitter feelings towards these recent events. She would admit that she loved Athrun the way a woman would love her fiancé, and that it was hard to let go of the familiarity and comfort brought about by their relationship, but certain circumstances had happened along the way. They had drifted apart, and as much as she tried to hold onto it---just as she knew how he tried in his own way---their paths led them to different roads.
Just as she was halfway down the hall, she saw Kira at the intersection. She called out to him. The Fates had a wonderful way of mending their torn relationships. The war paved the way for her to meet Kira, and it did the same for Athrun and Cagalli. Her past with her former fiancé had been good, but it was time to move on. She was glad that there were no qualms in her conscience, because then that meant that Athrun was doing fine on his own.
“We’re ready to land,” she informed him as they met halfway.
Kira smiled. “How did it go? And did Yzak leave with them?”
“There wasn’t too much of a hassle transporting the fleet, and the injured were very thankful that they’re going home.” She cocked her head to the side. “Now that you mention it, Yzak wasn’t there.”
“Hn. He isn’t anywhere in this ship either. I was looking for him a while ago to inform him of our status.”
Lacus’ eyes brightened. “That means he’s going to Earth with us! It’s good that Athrun, Yzak, and Dearka are together again.”
“Yeah. By the way, where were you headed?”
“I was going to find you, but now that you’re here, I have to go communicate with the Kusanagi and confirm with the Archangel.” She giggled, finding it hard to contain her excitement. “I’m excited, Kira. You know I haven’t gone to Earth!”
Kira smiled fondly at her enthusiasm. “We can visit a lot of places when we settle down. I haven’t been there really, too. Well, the last time I was there, the only places I’d been to were at Morgenroete and Alaska, all battle-oriented. So, yeah, I’m pretty excited as well.”
o-o
As the two of them ambled towards the direction of the bridge, they talked about little things: what they would do when they reached the Earth, if they would be going back to school, the how’s, the where’s, the who’s, and the what’s.
“Hey, Kira?”
Kira turned his head to the side. “Yeah?”
“I was wondering, are you going to be staying with Cagalli, too?”
The brunette was a little puzzled. That was the plan, wasn’t it? When they were at the Archangel a little while ago, Cagalli had mentioned a “big sleepover,” so he was pretty sure they’d be living in the Athha residence when they returned. He didn’t know why Lacus was suddenly asking him that. “Yeah. I thought we already established that?”
“Don’t you still have your parents, Kira? Miriallia and Sai would be going home, and I don’t know if you still have a family to return to on Earth,” came her soft reply.
Kira was silenced by her inquiry. There wasn’t a moment he didn’t remember his family…or his foster parents for that matter. When they were at Morgenroete, he had refused the opportunity to meet up with his parents. He could clearly remember telling Mwu that he didn’t feel inclined to see them because he was sure he would demand for the reason they made him a Coordinator. Back then he had been in a total stage of confusion. He didn’t know why he was made a Coordinator when there was a big issue about the two races. He was confused of his identity, why there was such discrimination, and all the other hurtful things thrown at him. He had been mad at his parents, and meeting them was the last thing in his mind, but now that everything was over, did he want to go see them and return to them?
“I do,” he answered.
Lacus seemed to overlook the change in his tone. “Really? That’s wonderful!”
Although it was only recently that he found out about his biological parents---or about his father, at least---his love for his adoptive parents never wavered, but he still wasn’t sure. He decided he wanted to see them again, but he couldn’t figure out how to face them.
“Yeah,” he answered in a small voice.
Lacus’ brow furrowed in concern after finally noticing the change in him. “Anything the matter, Kira?”
Kira gave her a tight smile and shook his head, trying to fend off her worry. “Nothing.”
Lacus relented, “Okay then, but if you want to talk about something, I’ll be here to listen, all right?”
The Freedom pilot’s smile turned real. “Always.”
Today should be a happy day, for they were finally going back home. Lacus and everyone else were looking forward to going back, and he decided he wouldn’t want to put a damper on it. He could deal with his problems later, and he needn’t to bother Lacus about it. It was his family, and he would fix it. Just not now. For now, he wouldn’t think of it because, he had decided, it was a day for celebration…not for brooding.
o-o
According to the time on the clock in the Kusanagi’s waiting room, it was already early in the afternoon. They were a few minutes away from penetrating the Earth’s atmosphere, and Cagalli couldn’t be still. She had wanted to stay at the bridge, but Kisaka thought she was better off waiting somewhere else, so here she was, anticipating the slight rocking as their ship was about to thrust into the ozone. She figured that by the coordinates Kisaka had given her mere minutes ago, it would take them at least the whole afternoon to get to Orb upon entry. Their place in space didn’t permit for a direct descent at Orb’s territory, but everyone had been eager to touch down as soon as possible, so instead of positioning their ships to another point, they had just agreed on alighting from where they were and traveling along the waters towards Orb.
Athrun entered a few seconds before the automated warning rang all throughout the ship.
Please secure yourselves as the Kusanagi enters the atmosphere. Be advised to stay in your seats and keep your seatbelts fastened.”
Cagalli fastened her harness just as Athrun took a seat beside her and did the same.
“You okay there?” he asked, looking over at her.
“Yeah. I actually feel butterflies in my stomach,” she laughed a little, trying to ease her anxiety.
“Same here.”
After a few beats, Cagalli, for some odd reason, felt compelled to tell him what she really was feeling, “Actually, I’m a little worried.”
“Oh? About what?” he kept his eyes on her as he asked. “I thought you were excited.”
The blonde sighed, staring up at the ceiling as the initial rocking began. They were entering the Earth’s atmosphere fast, but she knew they’d be flying at the usual speed soon, soaring above the sea. “Don’t get me wrong, I am, but when I think of all the conferences after we land, I can’t help but feel a little uneasy.”
“But you don’t have to attend those since Kisaka had already taken over for you.”
“I know, but Lacus has to, as a representative of the Clyne faction. Not that I know her that well, but based on what I’ve seen so far, I doubt she’d let Mr. Waltfeld take all the responsibilities. I can’t stay in one place knowing someone my age---and a possible friend at that---is facing the EAF.”
Athrun turned to look ahead and smiled at what she said. “Yeah. She’s thoughtful that way.”
Cagalli took note of how he only commented on the part where she had mentioned the songstress’ name. She wasn’t jealous because the both of them hadn’t really established where they stood; she could only guess whether he was thinking about it as well. The blonde figured he was still a little attached to his ex-fiancée, and she had accepted she couldn’t do anything about that.
Cagalli didn’t know anything about their engagement except for the most obvious fact that they had been engaged to marry. She hadn’t exactly gotten to the part of asking him about it since she wasn’t in any position to, anyway. As far as their actions were concerned, there was no mistake that they were attracted to each other. But that was it. The blonde princess, for all she was worth, had no idea up to what level their attraction lay.
She stared at him, and he must’ve felt it for he shifted his gaze to her and asked, “What’s up?”
“Nothing,” she answered, looking away, and was mildly baffled when she heard him chuckling.
“Really? The last time you said that, you had been excited to head out in your new Strike Rouge.”
Cagalli blushed at the memory of him being against her going out to battle. He had been worried and almost forbade her to do just that. Then that led to their first kiss, which, back then, had felt like a promise for more.
She harrumphed, fighting hard to not get flustered any more than she already was. “The last time you asked that, you thought I wouldn’t do well out there,” she countered, though she herself didn’t believe what she had just uttered.
He stopped laughing. “Touché…but I wasn’t keen on letting you go not because I didn’t trust you, but because of the big possibility that you could get hurt out there.” Again, he lifted his eyes from her and looked ahead. “Cagalli…” he trailed off
Cagalli looked up to see him go quiet, and she wondered if she had said something wrong. She was about to ask when he spoke again.
“I don’t think I’d be able to deal with myself…if that had happened.”
Much to her surprise, her heart skyrocketed a million miles up when she heard his little confession. For a long while, she just stared at him as he continued to avoid her gaze. What was she to think of a confession like that? Then as sudden as an unexpected rainstorm, her cheeks heated up.
Oh god…
Trying to control what she was feeling, she reacted on her instincts, and her instincts commanded her to make light of the situation. “Of course! Everyone would be depressed to see me injured. I’m that important!” She sighed inwardly in relief when he brought his attention back to her and laughed.
“That you are, Princess of Orb. More than anything.”
There it was again. That something in his voice she couldn’t quite place.
The Kusanagi has safely entered the Earth’s atmosphere. Welcome home, Kusanagi,” came the automated voice, bringing Cagalli out of her musings.
The ship had already regained its stable sailing when Athrun released himself of his harness and stood up. He offered her a hand. Cagalli eyed it for a millisecond before unfastening her own seatbelt and taking it. The pair exited the waiting room with Athrun still holding onto her.
Right now, she didn’t know exactly what they were to each other, but, somehow, she wasn’t bothered by it that much anymore. They would find out…together, because she had a feeling they’d be together for a long while. And for the briefest of moments, Cagalli let herself think that the two of them had just forged a relationship she would be willing to drown in.
o-o
The three war vessels cruised the waters side-by-side, the Archangel in the middle with the Eternal on the right and the Kusanagi on the left. When they were still flying in the skies, Miriallia had gotten an idea for them to get together on the Archangel’s deck for a little getting-to-know-each-other, probably figuring out that they’d be stuck with each other for a long while. Kira and Lacus had gotten into a small plane and docked into the Archangel, just as Athrun and Cagalli took siege of a still serviceable mobile suit and followed the first pair’s making port.
The eight teenagers---Athrun, Dearka, Kira, Sai, Yzak, Cagalli, Lacus, and Miriallia---found themselves lounging on the wide deck of the Legged Ship. The two former ZAFT soldiers had been surprised to see Yzak, so much more when he actually agreed to hang out with them. Dearka jested and teased him about his decision, but relented when the novelty of it had worn out.
The guys were on one side: Kira and Dearka were sitting on the floor with their backs against the railings; Athrun was beside Kira with Sai on his right, both upright and leaning back against the guardrails; Yzak, who was beside Dearka, was also standing up, but he was facing the ocean, his forearms supporting his weight on the handrail. Like all guys who where introduced to one another for the first time, they had already eased up on each other a few seconds after they shook each other’s hand---as for Yzak, he eased up on the guys up to the limit he was capable of, which wasn’t that much. And since none was willing to talk about the war, political whatnots, and other adult topics, they settled into chatting about the usual things guys talk about: cars, motorcycles, sports, video games, and all the other mundane things about male interests girls usually avoid discussing.
Birdie could be seen either flying around or perching on Kira or Athrun’s shoulders. For some reason, it intelligently avoided landing anywhere near Yzak, who had shooed it away earlier.
“Looks like Birdie has developed an unusual spite for you,” Dearka observed.
Yzak snorted. “Good. I’m not fond of it either.”
Everyone in the group laughed at him.
“Yeah, laugh all you want, but when you experience mechanical toys pester you ‘til you want to rip your hair out, you’ll learn to despise them,” Yzak told them, rolling his eyes.
“I think they’re brilliant!” Sai exclaimed, clapping Athrun at the back since he knew he was the one who made Birdie.
“Thanks, man.”
Kira looked up at Yzak, perplexed. “But Birdie hasn’t even been around you for that long.”
“You’re a Coordinator, Yamato, so use that supposedly intelligent brain of yours,” Yzak spoke, but all knew he meant no real offence---at least that was what they wanted to believe in; there really was no telling where Yzak was concerned. “You think Birdie’s the only mechanical toy around here?”
At the mention of the green toy’s name, it happily flew around, chirping its given name.
Dearka laughed upon hearing the fair-head. He knew what he meant by that, and the memory was making it hard for him control the peels of laughter coming out of him.
“What’s so funny? Aside form the insult he threw at me, that is?” Kira asked, taking no offence at what Yzak said.
Athrun leant back and thrust his arms backwards, resting his forearms on the metal. He lowered his gaze and eyed Dearka, and something seemed to click inside his head. When Dearka nodded at him, he started to laugh, too. Yzak glared at the two of them, while Kira and Sai looked lost.
“Okay, usually, it would be more fun if everyone in the group knows what we’re supposed to be laughing at,” Sai uttered, pushing his glasses farther up the bridge of his nose and squatting down to look at Dearka squarely.
“Oh man! This is a laugh and a half!” Dearka exclaimed between chuckles. “Okay, buddies, listen well.”
Yzak realized what Dearka was about to tell Kira and Sai, and he cursed, but only Athrun paid him notice. Dearka went on telling the two confused friends the incident back at PLANT only a year ago. The four red-elites had escorted Lacus back to her residence after her meeting with ZAFT as a peace representative. Of course, Lacus, being the polite and accommodating girl that she was, had invited them in. She had led them into the gardens and left them there to prepare tea. For some unexplained reason, Lacus’ haros had flocked around Yzak, bouncing up and down and piping their shrill names again and again. He had tried to shoo them away, making a fool of himself in the process. As he had been about to stomp away, he tripped on a loose cobblestone and fell flat on his face. Lacus had already returned with a tray in her hands and witnessed his embarrassing situation. The worst was, the haros had seemed to get interested in him more. In the end, they had to drink their tea inside the mansion to get away from the insane toys.
“Oh,” was Kira’s response after the tale.
“Is that so?” Sai followed up.
Yzak let out a relieved sigh when none of them laughed at Dearka’s tale, but as he was about to gloat in front of the tanned boy, Kira and Sai burst out guffawing, inducing another cachinnation session at the expense of the Duel pilot.
“Idiots,” Yzak said not so subtly. Throwing a disgusted look at the laughing boys, he mumbled under his breath, “I’m gonna regret going with mother’s plan this time.”
o-o
Cagalli furrowed her brow as she stared at the five boys laughing their heads off. Then as she looked on, she noticed that the one with pale hair wasn’t actually laughing, but was grumbling under his breath.
“It’s always a wonder how guys can get comfy with each other so easily, huh?” Miriallia, who had turned around to see what Cagalli was looking at, asked.
The Orb princess jerked her head towards the brunette. “Yeah. Maybe because they ain’t got issues about, you know…okay, I don’t know, but you get my drift.”
Lacus giggled. “I know what you mean, Cagalli.” She ran her gaze over the group. “At least they aren’t fighting.”
Cagalli fully turned her back on the guys, facing the two girls who were leaning on the railings with the wind blowing through their hair. Putting her hands in her back pockets, she replied, “I don’t think they’re up to it. I mean, after all those fighting up there, I doubt they even want to start a new one, even if it’s just gonna be about their silly pride…”
They three girls shared a laugh, like they had always done it. Maybe familiarity wasn’t hard to breed when they all had gone through the same thing.
Cagalli stopped laughing and looked over her shoulders.
“What is it?” Miriallia asked, following Cagalli’s line of sight.
“It’s weird, but I’m awfully curious of what’s so funny, and why Yzak looks about to explode.”
“Mm?” Lacus sighted what she was talking about. “Then why don’t we go over there and ask?”
Miriallia raised her eyebrows. “Won’t that be prying?”
Cagalli looked like the cat that just ate the canary. “I don’t think so.” She began walking to the other side where the guys where at. “I mean, if they don’t wanna tell us and we still continue asking, then that would be prying.”
Lacus smiled. “It’s all right, Miriallia. Come on, I’m a little curious as well.”
The brunette, seeing that the two girls where really going over to the boys whether she protested or not, decided to follow them. Her curiosity was piqued, too, but she didn’t know why she was hesitating on going there.
“Hey!” Cagalli called. “Wanna share what was so funny a while ago?”
The five teenage boys looked up.
“Hell yeah!” Dearka easily agreed, eyes sparkling.
HECK NO!” Yzak immediately shouted, his vexed tone almost overlapping with Dearka’s easy consent.
“Chill out, Yzak.”
Yzak glared daggers at the blue-haired pilot. “Drop dead, Zala.”
Despite Yzak’s protests, Dearka divulged all the details of Yzak’s memorable experience with the haros to the girls. Lacus apologized a number of times, but she, too, was giggling. At that point in time, Yzak had never wished for the ground to open up and swallow him whole more than he did now. Sure, looking back, the experience wasn’t that embarrassing to him anymore, but that was only if it were told amongst the people who had been there, but no, Dearka had to spill his story to the people he hardly knew. Judging by what he’d seen of Cagalli’s behavior, she would, no doubt, spring little bits of his unforgettable moment time and again. Just his luck.
The metal door swished open and one of the crewmembers stepped out. It was Arnold Neumann. The ship was cruising at a relaxed pace, so Neumann probably didn’t need to heavily man the Archangel.
“Kisaka called and wants you to contact him as soon as you get to the bridge,” he pointedly told Cagalli.
The blonde looked puzzled. “Did he say what he wanted?”
“Nah, but it doesn’t seem too serious.”
“Oh, all right. I’ll be right with you.”
Neumann nodded and turned around, but as if forgetting something, he turned around again and faced Cagalli. He saluted the princess, “Good to have fought beside you, Princess Cagalli.”
Everyone’s eyes turned towards the flustered heiress, curious to see her reaction at the compliment.
“Eh?” Cagalli scratched the back of her head. “Ah, heh, you should be telling that to Kisaka, you know, the great Ledonir Kisaka!” She laughed in embarrassment, her cheeks acquiring a deep red tint.
Everyone’s eyes then flickered towards Neumann.
“No, it was really an honor.”
“Stop it, sir. Ah, really, if it weren’t for Kisaka, the Archangel wouldn’t have been able to dock at Orb, yeah, they didn’t believe I was the daughter of Uzumi Nara Athha back then. Heh, and, uh, he was in command of the Kusanagi, so yeah, all thanks to him!” Cagalli wasn’t used to being honored like this, and she was mightily getting embarrassed every second. And for some totally wicked reason, the rest seemed intent to embarrass her more.
Yzak saw this opportunity for payback. “Yeah, Athha, if you hadn’t found Zala over there by the shore back on Earth, I wonder where we’d pick him up now,” he smirked at her.
“Shut up, haro man,” she shot back, smirking at the indignant Duel pilot. “That wasn’t me. That was the team Orb sent as Murrue requested. I just happened to be there.”
“Way to go, Athha, at helping stop the nukes from hitting the plants!” Dearka grinned.
“The Rouge hardly did anything. The meteors of the Freedom and the Justice did most of the job. Stop it!”
“Don’t be so modest, Cagalli. You helped destroy the Genesis,” Lacus piped in.
Cagalli pointed at Athrun. “Uh, well, that was him actually.”
“Knowing Athrun, if it weren’t for you, he wouldn’t be able to come out of that thing alive,” Kira added, smiling and looking like the innocent that he was.
“Hey, no, that was him, too. Yeah, uh, he was smart enough to, uh, yeah, get out of that.”
Athrun chuckled, finding how cute Cagalli was when she was blushing. He knew all too well what happened back there. “Okay then, Cagalli, if it weren’t for you, no one would’ve protected, and I quote, ‘that guy who might be my little brother,’” Athrun teased further.
Kira’s eyes widened. “She said that?”
“Sure,” was the blue-head’s reply.
“Wow, thanks a lot, Cagalli,” Kira told Cagalli, his smile softening.
“ATHRUN! I didn’t say that! That boy can take care of himself!” Cagalli denied, glaring at Athrun.
Arnold Neumann laughed, and everyone diverted their attention towards him. “As amusing as you guys are, I have to head back down now. Hurry up, Princess, all right?”
Cagalli watched him leave before she faced the whole group. “Okay, did you just decide to make today the embarrass-Cagalli-because-it’s-fun-to-watch-her-get-so-uncomfortable day!”
“No, Cagalli,” Miriallia answered, “but sometimes, you really have to take credit for what you did and continue to do.”
Cagalli deflated. “Whatever. I’m going.” She followed Neumann, and allowed herself a smile when she was sure they couldn’t see her.
The sun had begun to set. They were nearing Orb, and they were nearing the advent of their new lives. When the ships would dock at Orb a little later, there would be talks and meetings and all those conferences, but those would be over soon, and they would all settle down. They were all young with their whole lives ahead of them, and for the first time in a long while, they let themselves be themselves.
The end of war promised a lot of things and those things included a whole new beginning. As young as they were, they had just reached the end of a very tiring journey most kids their age wouldn’t experience, and as the sun drowned in the horizon, they acknowledged the new phase they were about to set foot in. A chapter was over, a story had been concluded, and it was time to start a new one.
The cool see breeze swept over the deck.
Yeah, a new one where they could be the authors of their own lives. Indeed, they were off to a good start.

-To Be Continued…

A/N:
sugarpony: hey there, thanks for the review! hm, yeah, i've written the scene with that specific Kira/Yzak interaction, but that wouldn't come out for a while