Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Sojourn ❯ PHASE 07 The Makings of a Memory ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn (7/?)
Author: Paola
Disclaimer: Mobile Suit: Gundam SEED Sojourn is based on characters and situations that belong to Sotsu Agency, Bandai Studios, and TV Asashi (and other production affiliates that have the right of ownership). No money is being made, and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Considerations: Similarities to other stories/events/passages are purely coincidental unless otherwise cited.

“Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy,
like art… It has no survival value; rather it is
one of those things that give value to survival.”
- C. S. Lewis

PHASE 07
The Makings of a Memory

Lacus woke up with the early rays of the sun on her face and the promise of a new day on her mind. It had been a long time since she’d last slept in a real bed, with plush pillows and a thick soft duvet, and she enjoyed re-discovering how it felt to indulge in such luxury. Lacus was in no way a spoiled brat, but no matter how simple she lived, luxury had always been part of her lifestyle, as a child of the late Siegel Clyne, a former ZAFT council official, and as a popular pop singer, so she was used to living a life of wealth.
She blinked the sleep from her eyes, yawning as she did so. She had taken the room at the farthest end of the hall, opposite Kira’s. She was really thankful of Cagalli’s hospitality and generosity, but since she hadn’t seen the blonde princess since a little after their arrival at the mansion, she had yet to offer her gratitude.
Glancing at the wall clock on the opposite wall, she took note of how early it still was. It was only a half-hour before six, and she doubted anyone was awake yet. She had always been an early riser and had always loved the peace in the morning before all the other people woke up.
With a small smile on her lips, she made the bed and took a shower, having in mind to go thank her hostess as soon as the blonde made herself visible.
Lacus quietly shut the door behind her and was a little surprised to see Athrun do the same; his room was beside Kira’s. She had forgotten that Athrun was a soldier and was probably wont to wake up early as well. The pink-head briefly wondered if Dearka and Yzak were already up and about, too.
“Good morning,” he smiled at her, looking as surprised as she was.
She smiled back. “Good morning to you, too, Athrun!” She put a thoughtful finger on her cheek and spoke again, tilting her head to the side. “Say, is Kira an early bird like yourself?”
The former Justice pilot gave a small laugh. “Not really. He’s a guy who loves his sleep, but I don’t know if that had changed over the time we weren’t hanging around together.”
Both Coordinators padded down the empty hallway with their shoes making only the slightest of sounds. They traversed their way to the first floor of the three-story mansion in comfortable silence.
“I’m getting coffee. Want some?” Athrun asked as they reached the bottom of the stairs.
“I’m all right. I think I’ll be heading out in the backyard before breakfast,” she replied, walking alongside Athrun until they reached the kitchen and he parted ways with her.
Lacus continued her course to the backyard, pausing for a second to greet a servant whom she came across and to ask if she was going in the right direction.
o-o
Athrun made his way to dining room, which was unsurprisingly empty. Everyone else was still asleep, and he and Lacus were the only ones awake. He thought Dearka and Yzak were up already, but he figured they were still snoozing away as there were no signs of them.
Looking at the formal dining table, he remembered how Cagalli had not joined them for dinner the night before. He had wanted to go to her room and ask her if everything was all right, but he had been uncertain of his action. What he and Cagalli had hadn’t been defined yet, and he wasn’t sure if she’d find him crowding her too much. In the end, he only hoped there was nothing wrong.
He walked to the end of the room and entered through the swinging wooden doors, which led to the kitchen. He hadn’t been a fan of caffeine, but since he enlisted in the military, coffee had been a beverage of choice for staying awake in the late hours of the night or the wee hours of the morning. So here he was, looking for his daily cup even when he wasn’t in the service anymore.
Upon entering, he saw the table already set for eight people, and he could spy from the small glass at the top of another door the cook busy cooking in the scullery. The blue-head looked around and took in the quiet and clean surroundings of the kitchen, and it hit him that he didn’t know where the things he needed were kept. Last night, they had used the formal dining area, and he only knew this was the kitchen because he had seen the servants entering and exiting from the door he had gone through.
A maid entered from the adjoining room, carrying what Athrun assumed was the daily paper. She looked a little surprise at finding him there.
“Good morning, sir.” She handed him the paper.
“Good morning,” he greeted back.
“Is there anything you wanted?”
“Actually, yes. I wanted to some coffee.”
The maid smiled. “I’ll prepare a pot then. Where would you want me to bring it?”
Athrun smiled at the hospitality and politeness of the maid. “I’ll wait right here.” He took a seat on one of the chairs and unfolded the newspaper, glancing briefly at the headline, which was, remarkably enough, about the Archangel, Eternal, and Kusangi’s landing on Earth.
The maid nodded and began to prepare a pot of coffee at the counter a few feet from the table. She looked back at him. “I hope it’s all right with you and your friends to have breakfast in the kitchen. Miss Cagalli had never liked eating in the dining room. She says it’s too formal for everyday use.”
Athrun smiled at that, not finding it odd for Cagalli to be that way. He had somehow figured out that that was the reason the table in the kitchen, and not the one in the dining room, was set. He looked up and answered, “Of course it is.”
Just as the maid was pouring him a cup of coffee, the door opened and in came Dearka and Yzak.
“Morning, man,” Dearka greeted him.
Yzak merely grunted at him. Athrun was amused. He knew the Duel pilot had never really liked him, but it still made him wonder why. They hadn’t really been the best of friends back in the military, but Athrun knew he didn’t exactly do anything wrong to the pale-head.
“Morning. I see you’re all dressed up,” Athurn said, noting how Yzak and Dearka were dressed in their ZAFT red-coat uniforms. He himself was wearing his own uniform. He had defected to the Archangel and was probably branded a traitor as well, but he figured he couldn’t exactly go to the conference in just jeans and a shirt, so he opted to wear his regimental instead. He was probably going to be identified with ZAFT anyway, so he might as well dress like one still.
Yzak took the seat opposite him and Dearka sat on the one beside the fair-head. The maid poured them coffee.
“Thanks,” Dearka offhandedly told the maid as he took a cautious sip of his hot beverage.
“You don’t say,” Yzak sardonically intoned, rolling his eyes at Athrun’s observation.
“It’s too early to take out your frustrations on Athrun.”
Athrun had to chuckle at the intense glare Yzak sent Dearka, and by the looks of it, the pale-head’s morning had just been ruined by the blonde’s sharp teasing.
“Well, we figured we’d be going to that conference later, too,” Dearka answered. “And look who’s talking.” The blonde rolled his eyes in the same way Yzak had.
The maid had left and the three ZAFT top guns were alone in the kitchen.
o-o
Kira was about to head to the kitchen when he saw Lacus coming in from the back entrance of the house. She was wearing a white-and-purple dress that reached a little below the knees. A ribbon was tied around her waist, and the baby sleeves of her dress exposed her slender arms. Kira smiled. She was beautiful.
“Hey, Lacus,” he called out, gaining the attention of the pink-haired pop singer.
Lacus’ head snapped to his direction. “Oh, hey, Kira! Did you sleep well?”
The brunette walked towards her, glancing at the mantelpiece clock on a granite table by the east wall and taking note of the time: 7:15. “Yeah. Where’ve you been?”
Lacus stood straight and clasped her hands together in child-like delight. “The backyard since a little past six. The morning is pretty awesome and the gardens look beautiful in the early morning sun!” The lilt in her voice was unmistakable.
“Let’s take a look,” Kira said when he reached her. “You wouldn’t mind going back out, would you?”
“Are you kidding, Kira? Of course not! It’s really nice outside, but I thought I was keeping everybody from breakfast, so I went in.”
Kira grinned at her thoughtfulness. That was one of the things he liked about her. She always thought of the other people’s well-being before hers. Her selflessness was helping him detach himself from his troubles, just so he wouldn’t appear selfish.
When they reached the outdoors, Lacus took to the swing, which was at the far left of the veranda. “Sit with me, Kira,” she invited, patting the empty space beside her.
“I didn’t know you were an early riser,” he mused after taking up her invitation.
Lacus giggled beside him. “Not many know that. People thought I always wake up late because of my job as a singer---you know, working late and all---but I just love the morning too much to miss it. Even Athrun didn’t know it. I guess he just found out this morning when we came out of our rooms at the same time.”
For some unknown reason, Kira always forgot that Lacus and his best friend had been engaged. He didn’t know whether to feel bad that he had gotten somewhat attracted to Lacus the first time he saw her, or not, granted that he didn’t know she’d been Athrun’s fiancée at that time.
Once or twice he had wondered if they had really loved each other---and every time he felt an inexplicable twist in his gut---but he was too embarrassed and mortified to even take asking into consideration. After all, what right did he have to, anyway? Besides, he didn’t even know why he was feeling the telltale signs of unwarranted jealousy when it was very clear that Athrun was totally taken to his sister. Maybe it was just the innate, stupid, male pride playing with his emotions.
Kira watched as a wistful smile made its way to her lips.
“You know, Kira, we used to have a beautiful garden, too…”
“I remember.”
The Pink Princess turned her head towards him with a wondering tilt to the side.
Kira looked at her from the corners of his eyes. “You’ve forgotten how you nursed me back to health?”
She smiled like she had momentarily forgotten that time and had remembered it just then. “Of course not!”
Kira grinned teasingly. “Of course you did.”
“Did not.”
“Did, too.”
“Did not.”
“Now, now, Lacus, it’s not good to lie.”
“Kira!” Lacus was laughing along with Kira, enjoying their little moment of silliness.
“Enough flirting, guys,” Miriallia, who had apparently volunteered to call them, called out from the open French doors.
Both Coordinators promptly blushed: Lacus a cute shade of pink, and Kira a flaming red.
“Breakfast,” Miriallia laughed, leaving as soon as she finished.
o-o
“What gives?” Cagalli asked Kisaka, suppressing a yawn but failing. She looked around and saw Murrue and Waltfeld breakfasting with her guardian. She threw them a greeting, which they returned with a friendly nod.
Kisaka rose from his seat, walking Cagalli to the kitchen where her friends were enjoying the feast of a breakfast the cook provided with the excuse that he’d missed cooking for a lot of people. “We can deal with that later. Why don’t you have breakfast with your friends first?” When Kisaka had pushed the door open, he looked over his charge and asked the first thing that came to mind. “Why haven’t you taken a shower yet?”
Cagalli gave him a puzzled look. “Huh? Isn’t the meeting starting at ten?” Last night, almost an hour after Kira had left her room, Kisaka had knocked and told her that the EAF called, moving the conference at a later time because of some mix-up in the schedule. Of course, Cagalli had been very thankful of whomever it was that messed up the EA agenda.
It wasn’t until they entered did she understand why Kisaka was asking her that. There in front of her were her friends, all dressed up and ready to kill. The three soldiers from ZAFT were wearing their uniforms, which were pressed to perfection. Kira was also wearing his Archangel uniform, and even if it was no match against the handsome design of the ZAFT regimentals, Kira looked positively impressive. On the other hand, Lacus was clad in a modest dress, and although it was simple, she looked stunning and ready to take on the EA officials. Sai and Mirillia were the only ones wearing jeans and shirts, mainly because they needn’t go to the conference and were just actually waiting to be picked up by their parents, and even then, they were fresh out of the shower---Miriallia and Sai’s wet locks were stark evidences. Then there she was, standing in front of them, looking like she had just gotten up and had lazily freshened up, which was what she had exactly done.
Cagalli looked down at her own clothes---jean shorts and a t-shirt, which was a size bigger---then looked back up. A lazy smile grazed her features. “Will you look at that… If you’d been strangers, I’d’ve been alarmed to see you eating in this kitchen instead of the dining room.”
“Good morning to you, too, Cagalli!” Lacus greeted, smiling as well.
“Anyway, I’ll get back to you lot later after breakfast,” Kisaka addressed all of them before turning to leave.
The excited chatter of teenagers returned when Kisaka closed the door. The Orb princess looked for a vacant seat and found one, which was suspiciously between her brother and his best friend, but it was still too early in the morning for her brain to process that. Upon sitting down, the aroma of the food assaulted her nose, making her remember how hungry she was. She hadn’t had a proper dinner last night, but she was determined to not think about what had happened then.
On the table was an assortment of food: bacon strips, poached eggs and omelets, sausages, waffles, toast, and even rice. By the counter she spied a tall pitcher of orange juice, a carton of milk, and a pot of freshly brewed coffee.
“Looking good, princess,” Dearka teased, as if they’d been long-time friends.
The ease with which everyone was acting towards one another brought a sense of warmth to the whole group. Even Yzak, who would never admit to feeling such a silly thing, was glad that they were all there. Although he was still miffed about his mother’s decision, the childish part of him---which, again, he would never admit to having---enjoyed the casualness by which they were interacting. The atmosphere was a far cry from the tense and formal surroundings they’d been in for the past how many months.
“Watch it, Elsman, or some may think you’re actually hitting on Athha instead of a certain someone,” Yzak flung off, taking a sip of his morning dose of caffeine.
Dearka choked on his waffle, turning red in the face, while Miriallia flushed a deep crimson. Cagalli and Athrun shared a modest dash of rose across the cheeks. Everyone laughed, including Kira, who had just figured out that it didn’t a take a lot for his sister to get embarrassed---even a little teasing that wasn’t exactly directed at her could tickle her pink.
The brown-haired Coordinator caught Cagalli’s eyes, and she nodded and smiled at his silent inquiry. Then and there he knew she was going to be all right.
Athrun, finally gaining back the little of his composure that he lost, cut in, “I didn’t know you had the makings of a doctor love in you, Yzak.”
Sai, upon seeing the Duel pilot’s embarrassment, chuckled. “Good one!” He turned to give Miriallia a teasing pat on the back. “And Mir, stop blushing. I can feel the heat from your face already.”
“Hey!” was all she could think of. The brunette glared at her friend, reddening even more.
“You’re red as a freakin’ overripe tomato, Elsman!” Cagalli pointed out, putting cheese on her waffle, while Athrun filled her glass with orange juice, seemingly absent-mindedly.
Kira, who hadn’t said a word yet, took notice of the ostensibly involuntary action and decided he’d like to tease them about it, but not now since the focus of the jesting was Miriallia and Dearka.
“Let’s get back on track here, okay?” Dearka said, trying to change the topic. “We’re teasing Athha about how she’s so dressed up, remember?”
“Yeah, true, true!” Miriallia was quick to agree with an exaggerated nodding of her pretty head. “And stop teasing us. We’re friends, okay?” she continued, stringing her words carefully.
Much to their combined disappointment, the people around the table only gave them blank stares. Obviously, they all thought it was more enjoyable to poke fun at the blonde Coordinator and the brown-haired Natural.
“You are?” Lacus innocently asked, though the mischievous glint in her eyes was quite unmistakable.
“Since when are you the bad guy, Lacus?” Dearka mockingly scowled.
“Since the aliens abducted her and brain-washed her into thinking she’s the devil incarnate,” came Yzak’s rejoinder as he rolled his eyes. “No matter what you say, Elsman, the joke’s on you.”
Dearka snorted. “Oh yeah, haro man?”
Yzak reddened in complete embarrassment, and everyone watched with interest as he struggled for a retort. Finally, “I will not dignify that with an answer.”
Cagalli almost threw his fork at him. “That was lame.”
Before Yzak could give her a piece of his mind, Miriallia spoke, clearly deviating from the teasing, “Hey, guys, I was wondering: Are you all going back to school?”
Everyone was silenced for a moment, and then Kira answered, “I guess. I mean, what’s left to do after all these…things?”
“Fine by me,” Sai easily said.
“I wouldn’t mind going back to school,” Athrun put in.
“Neither do I,” Dearka agreed, knowing Miriallia would want to go back to her schooling and that he probabaly had a chance to go to the same school as her.
“Whatever,” Yzak replied, sounding lackadaisical and dismissive, although the rest was convinced he liked the idea.
“That would be fun!” was the Pink Princess’ more enthusiastic reply. “I haven’t gone to a real school since my singing career started, and I definitely wouldn’t mind going back!”
Kira looked at her almost incredulously. He never thought a singing career would be that much work…guess he knew so little when it came to show business. But then he remembered how excited Lacus was and how likely it was that they’d be going to the same school and most probably become classmates. He couldn’t help but smile. It was a weird feeling, but it was welcome.
It wasn’t for another second before Kira found himself pouring Lacus another glass of milk after she had quietly asked for it to be passed.
Cagalli shrugged. “It’s not like I have a choice. Kisaka would probably get my head if I so much as hint at not thinking of going back to school.” She did want to be the next Chief Representative of Orb, but not unlike any other student, the idea of school wasn’t exactly something she would gladly dwell on. “I think Kisaka’s already thinking of this and how to fix it for us. It’s gonna be easier that way,” she continued, finishing her breakfast.
“So, I suppose we’d all be going to the same school…?” Dearka asked, evidently excited, and the whole group knew why.
“It’s gonna be easier for Kisaka that way, but I don’t know…” Cagalli smirked at the other blonde. “I guess you just have to suck it up to someone’s parents so she’d go to the same school as you.”
Dearka glared at the princess to hide his blush. “And just what are you trying to imply?”
Cagalli shrugged, trying to be non-committal.
“Look at it this way,” Kira interjected, “we are going to be somewhat under Kisaka since we’re going to be roofing with them right here, yeah?” Dearka nodded. “So there’s a high possibility that you, Yzak, Athrun, Lacus, Cagalli, and I will be going to one school, but since Miriallia and Sai’s parents are here in Orb, I think they’re going to decide which school to send them to,” he explained, as if talking to child.
“I know that! What do you think I am? Stupid?”
“I was thinking of something worse, but that comes close,” Cagalli interrupted.
“I meant: Athha was getting too much into teasing when she herself has something she might want to share,” Dearka expounded.
Miriallia scooped the last of her rice into her mouth, and then chewed on it thoughtfully for a moment. “Yeah, I agree.”
Everyone turned curious and expectant eyes at Cagalli and Athrun.
The Orb princess blushed and almost choked on her drink. “Oh yeah? And what might that be?” she covered, trying to sound as nonchalant as she could, which was proving too hard.
“We don’t know, Cagalli, but we might get the idea if you try to explain it to us,” Lacus piped in.
Before Cagalli could even think of an excuse, Kisaka walked in, sparing her from the trip to hell. She sighed in relief. How could she explain it to everyone when she couldn’t even begin to explain it to herself? They needed to talk, but the blonde didn’t exactly have an idea how to approach him about it. Wasn’t it the guys’ job to talk to the girls about this kind of thing?
It wouldn’t be after a while before she and Athrun could define what it really was they were feeling. They still had to settle down and try to maintain order in their lives before they could dwell on such subjects. And by Jove, it was killing her.
“Murrue, Andy, and I had talked about it,” Kisaka announced, “and we came to a decision that you, kids, won’t be needing to come with us for the conference later.”
“But---” Cagalli started to protest.
“Except for you, of course,” he looked at his charge pointedly, “and Lacus.”
Yzak was heard muttering something about bothering to dress up only to find themselves not needed.
Kisaka chuckled at this. “You can have the maids press your uniforms again for you. Anyway, this is just for now. When the PLANTs can send formal representatives already, you might be asked for an audience.” His brow furrowed in thought. “I’m not sure though when this will be since the process for peace talks will take time, and, even before that, a formal gathering of the representatives will be held. That one will include all of you, even Miriallia and Sai.”
“That’s good then,” Dearka said, munching on his buttered toast. “At least we won’t be dealing with old farts anytime soon.” His gaze automatically slid towards Kisaka, and he saw the tanned guardian raise an eyebrow. “I didn’t mean you, sir!” The blonde Coordinator raised his hands as if to ward off a bad comeuppance he was sure he would get. “Please don’t kick me out,” he added hastily, earning a laugh from the group.
“You have an hour to prepare,” Cagalli’s guardian informed her and Lacus. “We’ll be waiting for you by the front door.” Before he could step out of the room, however, he added, “And Mana’s waiting for you in your room, Cagalli.”
“No way!” Cagalli’s eyes widened, but Kisaka was already out the room before she had the chance to continue protesting. She hurriedly took another waffle from her plate and briefly wondered why it had butter on it instead of cheese, but she dismissed it as she chased after Kisaka’s retreating form, leaving a confused atmosphere in her wake.
“Is Cagalli all right?” Lacus asked, a little worried at the princess’ outburst.
“And who’s Mana?” Athrun added, silently wondering why his buttered waffle was missing.
Kira looked confused for a moment before he remembered who Mana was. Then he chuckled. “Oh, she’s all right, I just don’t think she’ll still be when she gets to her room. That is, if she ever decides she still wants to room there.”
“What do you mean?” Sia asked.
Kira turned towards him. “Remember the first time we docked at Orb?”
Miriallia and Sai nodded.
“And the commotion in her room and at the corridor in the Archangel?”
Another nod before a smirk played on Sai’s lips. “Oh that Mana! This is just too bad for her!”
“Poor Cagalli,” Miriallia said, but she was grinning as well.
“Care to explain?” Athrun put in, still lost.
“Mana’s Cagalli’s ‘lady-in-waiting.’ But I think she’s more of her nanny,” Kira explained matter-of-factly. “She’s the one who forces Cagalli into dresses and gowns.”
A silence descended upon everybody in the room before they burst into laughter at the silliness of the princess’ predicament.
A servant entered and excused herself. “A Mrs. Haw is on the line and wants to talk to Miss Miriallia.”
The brunette excitedly stood up and followed the maid outside.
“Guess you won’t get to spend too much time with Mir today,” Sai nonchalantly told Dearka.
“If we were still enemies, I’d murder you, Argyle,” he shot back.
Everyone laughed again as they were back to teasing the blonde Coordinator. Miriallia and Sai were going home that day, but as they waited for their parents and the departure of the adults, Lacus, and Cagalli for the meeting, they spent their time joking with each other and generally having fun in the kitchen of the Athha household.
Yzak had tried to walk away from the group, but Dearka had always managed to pull him back to his seat, and the grumbling Duel pilot almost ripped the blonde’s head off, but stayed put anyway.
They weren’t trying to be the best friends of each one of them, but they probably figured they’d be spending a long time together, so they might as well get friendly with each other. They might have been enemies during the war, but now that the war was over, they’d come to accept the fact that life had decided to make them friends. A lot had happened over the course of how many months, but starting over wasn’t such a bad idea. At least they’d be enjoying the fruits of their war efforts.

-To Be Continued…

A/N:
Happy, happy, joy, joy! Fine, i won't ask for reviews anymore! Lol. haha, hope you enjoyed the chapter!