Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ The Night Shift ❯ Reflection ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Athrun awoke with a start some time during the course of the night. The soft sound of crying came from the adjoining bedroom. He groggily glanced at the digital clock beside his rather large bed. The flashing red numbers read 2:13am.
 
Athrun was completely silent for a moment, hoping against all hopes that the crying would die down and subside.
 
As always, it didn't.
 
He moaned, staring up at the white ceiling of the master bedroom. The figure at his side rolled over to face him, her beautiful big eyes only half open.
 
“It's your turn Athrun,” Came her soft, soothing voice. Her breath was warm against the exposed skin of his chest.
 
“No, It's your turn Cagalli,” Athrun replied quietly, smoothing down her blonde hair, “I got up at eleven.”
 
Cagalli sighed, sitting up, the warm flannel blankets falling to her waist. Her silk nightgown rustled as she left the warmth of the bed, putting on her slippers as she went.
 
She grabbed her house coat, stepping into the second bedroom. Putting it on, the soft fleece fabric warming her otherwise bare arms, she moved to the crib in the center of the room. Smiling down at their daughter, Cagalli reached in, picking up the fussing infant. Her smile softened as she held the baby in her arm, rubbing her back soothingly.
 
“My beautiful daughter,” She whispered quietly in the little girl's tiny ear as she swayed back and forth, “My beautiful Yuri.”
 
Some time passed - it could have been minutes, it could have been hours - and Yuri quieted down significantly, occasionally making small gargling noises.
 
Tiredly, Cagalli brought Yuri into the bedroom she shared with Athrun. He was still awake, and sat up as his wife came into the room. He pulled back the covers and took Yuri from her, holding his fragile daughter protectively in his arms.
 
Cagalli shuffled out of her slippers but left her house coat on as she crawled back into bed.
 
Holding Yuri in one arm, Athrun wrapped the other around Cagalli, pulling her closer. She rested her head on his chest as he gazed softly at their now sleeping child.
 
In some ways, he was still shocked that they had a child together. Athrun could still remember the joy he'd felt when Cagalli had nervously told him that she was with child.
 
He had been shell-shocked, but overflowing with pride and happiness..
 
.. Athrun watched happily as Cagalli descended the steps from the shuttle. They'd been married for two months, but Cagalli had spent the last month in Jachin Due. He had missed her dearly.
 
She looked around the crowd, searching for his face. He made his way through the ea of people, coming up behind her. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close.
 
“I've missed you,” He whispered in her ear, kissing her neck softly.
 
Cagalli dropped her bag, turning around in his arms. She put her arms around his waist, resting her head against his chest.
 
“I've missed you too,” She breathed, looking up at him as he leant down, capturing her lips in a searing `welcome home' kiss.
 
Athrun pulled her closer as they parted, holding her tight. Again, she leaned her head against his chest, closing her eyes. “How was your flight?” Athrun asked curiously.
 
“It was long, but fine,” Cagalli said, looking up at him with a nervous smile on her face. “Athrun, there's something important I need to tell you,” She said.
 
Worriedly, Athrun locked eyes with her, his deep concern showing clearly on his face. “Is there something wrong? Are you alright?”
 
“I'm fine,” Cagalli replied quietly.
 
“Then what's the matter?” He asked, holding her tightly; protectively.
 
“Not here,” She replied, “There are too many people around.”
 
Athrun picked up her bag, leading Cagalli by the hand to a completely deserted hallway off to the side of the hangar. “Are you okay?” He asked, beginning to panic.
 
Cagalli placed a hand on his shoulder soothingly. “I'm fine,” She said calmly, though she was still visibly nervous. “Athrun.. I..”
 
The possibilities of what Cagalli might say began to flood through Athrun's mind. Did she not feel the same way about him as he felt about her? Did she not love him anymore? Was there someone else? He wasn't entirely sure her wanted to hear what Cagalli had to say.
 
“I'm..” Cagalli continued. She took a deep breath, “Athrun, I'm pregnant.” Athrun was stunned into silence for a moment, but happiness soon overtook him and his face broke into a magnificent smile. “Oh Cagalli!” He exclaimed, sweeping her into a hug and planting a kiss on her lips, “That's wonderful!”
 
All signs of nervousness disappeared from Cagalli's face and she smiled widely. “I love you Athrun,” She whispered.
 
“I love you too Cagalli,” Athrun responded, caressing her cheek and leaning down once more to lock lips with his beautiful wife..
 
.. Athrun smiled, pulling up the blanket to cover Cagalli's shoulders.