Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ The Night Shift ❯ Together ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]

The Night Shift Pt. 2

Yuri had a hold of Athrun's fingers, her grip surprisingly strong for and infant. Athrun's smile grew as Yuri stuck his finger in her tiny mouth.

Yuri was teething, and constantly wanted something in her mouth. Cagalli had bought some teething rings, but Yuri appeared to prefer fingers. Athrun didn't mind. Despite the fact that she was drooling and her slobber was covering half his hand.

He looked back at Cagalli. He wasn't surprised to find her fast asleep. She hadn't been getting much sleep in the four months since she'd given birth to Yuri. The baby needed Cagalli's attention during all hours of the day, and though Cagalli was happy to give it, she had little time for herself.

Getting a nanny wasn't and option in Cagalli's eyes. She didn't want anyone else raising her daughter.

Occasionally, they would leave Yuri with Kira and Lacus, and the two of them would go out for the day, just to two of them. Lacus was always delighted to have Yuri. She loved children. In fact, just the other day she'd announced that she and Kira were expecting twins some time in the spring. Naturally, Lacus was ecstatic.

Athrun sometimes though it was strange, seeing Kira and Lacus together. Before Heliopolis, he had always seen his future going hand in hand with Lacus'. The two had been engaged after all. He had liked Lacus, not loved her per say, but he knew he would have grown to love her.

He still admired her, and in a way he did love her, but not in a romantic sense. Not the way he loved Cagalli. He knew lacus loved Kira, and Kira loved her.

When he met Cagalli, they had been enemies. She had been piloting a sky grasper and had opened fire on the carrier holding the Aegis, and Athrun.

Her sky grasper had been shot down, and she landed on the same island that Athrun had landed the Aegis. By her attire, he had first thought her to be a young man. It was when he had her pinned down in the sand that he realized his mistake.

The two had been stranded on the island for the night, Cagalli as his prisoner. The two had parted on civil terms the following morning, when both had been rescued.

The next time they met, Athrun was under the impression that he'd just killed Kira. He had been knocked unconscious by the blast, and picked up by Orb. Cagalli was there when he came to, gun in hand.

Athrun had been sure that Cagalli would kill him. She didn't though, and they ended up spending the better part of three hours speaking of Kira. They said their good-byes on amicable terms, as orb turned him over to ZAFT.

That was when his feelings for Cagalli began to develop. Though, at the time he had been under the impression that Cagalli harbored feelings for Kira. Neither of them had known at the time that Cagalli and Kira were twins.
 
Their feelings for one another developed over their next meetings, as Athrun's feelings for Lacus - such as they were - dissipated.
 
Athrun had been so nervous the day he proposed to Cagalli..
 
.. “Stop pacing Athrun, for God's sake,” Kira said, leaning in the doorframe, “You know she'll say yes.”
 
“But what if she doesn't?” Athrun queried, pacing back and forth across the room.
 
“She will.”
 
Athrun had gone to ask Kira's permission. He had thought that Kira wouldn't object, but as her was Cagalli's only living relative, Athrun thought it appropriate to ask his friend's permission.
 
Kira had delightedly given it and Athrun was nervously awaiting Cagalli's arrival. Kira had summoned her too the room, Athrun having been too jittery. Athrun's nerves rarely got the better of him, but today they were uncontrollable.
 
“Sit down Athrun,” Kira said, folding his arms over his chest, “You're making me nervous.”
 
Athrun listened, sitting down at his desk only to stand up again a second later when the door slid open.
 
“Good luck,” Kira mouthed, passing through the doorway and giving his sister a nudge.
 
“Athrun?” Cagalli asked curiously as the door shut behind Kira.
 
“Ca-Cagalli,” Athrun stuttered, trying - and failing - to regain some semblance of composure.
 
“Yes Athrun?” Cagalli asked, looking at him in confusion.
 
“Cagalli I..” Athrun said, moving forward and taking her hands in his own. “Cagalli, we've been seeing each other for a year now, and I really love you-“
 
“You're breaking up with me,” Cagalli said suddenly and emotionally, “Aren't you?”
 
“No!” Athrun exclaimed reassuringly, “What I mean to say is; I really love you Cagalli, and I think you love me too. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So Cagalli Yula Athha, will you marry me?”
 
Cagalli's jaw dropped, her eyes brimming with tears of happiness. She threw her arms around his neck, pressing her soft lips against his mouth.
 
“Of course I will!” Cagalli said, beaming at him and holding onto him tightly.
 
Athrun smiled, holding her to him and spinning her around. He'd never been so happy..
 
.. Their wedding had been a simple affair, neither of them had wanted anything fancy. They kept it to close friends, neither of them having much family.
 
Kira had acted in the place of Cagalli's father, walking her down the aisle, and Dearka had stood in as best man. Cagalli had had two bridesmaids; Lacus and Miriallia.
 
Cagalli had looked simply stunning in her plain, yet elegant gown. Her hair had been fashioned beautifully, no doubt something Lacus had arranged, if not done.
 
Everything had gone perfectly.
 
Married life was different than Athrun had imagined. It was better. Sure, he and Cagalli bickered, but no more than they had before. Life couldn't have been any better, until Yuri was conceived, the night before Cagalli had left for Jachin Due.
 
Athrun looked down, first at his sleeping wife, then his daughter. Yuri may have had his eyes, but she was practically the splitting image of her mother.
 
Thinking back on their lives so far, they had gone through so much already. But Athrun knew that their future contained just as much, if not more.
 
Whatever was still to come, they'd face it together; as a family.