Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Mobile Suit Gundam Fan Fiction / Gundam SEED Fan Fiction ❯ Mobile Suit Gundam Alternity ❯ One Year War ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1-One Year War
December 31, UC0079
 
 
The void of space near the asteroid known as A Boa Qu was a writhing, pulsing sea of absolute chaos. Earth Federation RGM-79 GM mobile suits and Ball armed space pods clashed violently with Zeon Zakus, Gelgoogs, Rick Doms and others. Battleships exchanged fire, yellow and red energy beams flashing back and forth, either to miss or strike, causing death and destruction wherever they hit. The surface guns of the great asteroid fortress added their own lethal light to the picture.
In later years this battle would become known as the greatest and most terrible battle of the One Year War. Right now, mobile suit pilot Amuro Ray didn't care about that. Sitting in the cockpit of the RX-78-2 Gundam, he guided the white, blue, red and gold mobile suit back and forth, protecting the Gundam's home, the assault carrier White Base. He was also looking for his nemesis, the Zeon ace known as Char Aznable, the dreaded Red Comet. He and Char had a certain score to settle.
“Amuro,” crackled a voice over his radio, “We've spotted a new type of Zeon MS and several Rick Doms headed for the reinforcement fleet. Stop them!”
“Amuro felt a flash of intuition when he turned Gundam's cameras towards the indicated spot.
“Char… that has to be you in that mobile suit. Or is it an armor? Doesn't matter, you're going down either way.”
Amuro was just about to accelerate towards this part of the fight when there was a bright flash of light from behind A Boa Qu and all the systems in Gundam went dark for a moment. When his screens came back on, he was surprised to see that the entire battle, MS and warships all, had ground to a sudden, inexplicable halt.
“White Base, what was that just now?” asked Amuro. There was a crackle over the radio for a few moments before Fraw Bow's voice came back.
“We're not sure what that was Amuro. Some new Zeon weapon? It's not very effective if it affects their own troops as well. Better ignore it for right now.”
“Roger that. Gundam heading out.”
The pause in the battle allowed Amuro to fly almost unmolested over to where the strange, leg-less MS was resuming its attack on some Federation battleships.
“Char!!” he roared, aiming Gundam's beam rifle and opening fire. He wasn't guessing, he knew the Red Comet was on that suit as clearly as if it had been broadcast in hundred foot high neon letters. Amuro was what were being called Newtypes, humans with extra-ordinary mental powers. It was the opinion of some that the emergence of Newtypes was because of man's mass migration to the space colonies.
Drawing closer to the huge Zeon MS, Amuro holstered his rifle in favor of his shield and a beam saber. He was just about to slash at the MS when another incredible burst of light blinded all his monitors and then all the systems in Gundam flickered on and off again. Amuro saw something gold and glittering shoot past him. He twisted in his seat to try and get a better look at it but this was a mistake, a mistake that should have cost the young pilot his life. A Gelgoog MS flew up behind Gundam and was about to stab it with a beam saber but was blasted by a bolt of blue energy. Amuro gazed wide-eyed at the MS that had just saved him from death. He thought he was having some sort of hallucination because he thought it looked like a gold-plated version of his Gundam, sunlight gleaming off it's mirrored surface. Then it was gone, literally in the blink of an eye. It hadn't been destroyed it was just gone. A Newtype flash of insight was all that saved Amuro from being impaled by one of the detachable, flying arms of Char's suit. Ducking out of the way, Amuro powered up his beam saber again. It seemed that Char was quite angry with Amuro. That was aces with him as far as the young Gundam pilot was concerned. Before this day was over Char would pay. Oh yes, he would pay very dearly.
 
Aidan cursed softly to herself. Only quick action on her part had saved Amuro Ray from dying much sooner than he was supposed to. It was just lucky that her Alternity was equipped with these stealth systems, or there would have been even more problems. She didn't need to be fending off Fed and Zeon MS while searching for Eternity. Speaking of that technological terror, where was it hiding? Ducking in and around the perimeter of the massive space battle, Aidan used her scanning systems to try and pin down its location. Thanks to the mental interface in the cockpit of her Gundam, it was as if she were the mobile suit herself. She saw through its eyes and her mental command it moved. Every slight motion, even the movements of her eyeballs were tracked and copied. And hers was perhaps the only system that could detect the AI super weapon, mostly because the same stealth systems that protected her Alternity were also installed in Eternity. Suddenly alarms began going off in her cockpit. Aidan glanced up at the battle before and as she moved, so did her MS copy her every movement. Here, there and everywhere, points of light like miniature suns were sprouting across the battlefield.
“Oh no… SARA are those what I think they are?” she said,
“Compiling… yes, they are space/time rifts. I guess those `reality mines' they kept going on about weren't all just talk hm?”
“I don't need hyperbole SARA, I need options!”
“The ALX-78 Gundam Alternity is equipped with a weapon that can close the rifts, I'm sure Eternity's aim is to distract you with these so he can go about his business. A clever trick really, you know the Council would have a collective stroke if a MS were to land in, say, Victorian London or…”
“SARA!”
“Apologies mistress.”
Sighing in annoyance, Aidan mentally selected the weapon she needed, seeing its status box pop on the HUD reticle that existed in her mind. She began firing energy bolts at the rifts, praying she wasn't too late. There was a third bright flash of light, again behind A Boa Qu.
“Eternity has left this space/time,” reported SARA.
“New destination?”
“Processing… February 22, UC0088.”
“That's near the end of the Gryps War… by the stars the Council will have my head for this… oh no!” cried Aidan. She had been attempting to close the rifts as fast as possible, but the little buggers acted like miniature black holes, sucking in anything near them, including MS. What had horrified Aidan so much was she now saw that a rift had opened hear where Amuro and Char were dueling. She immediately dropped her cloak and poured full power into her Gundam's propulsion, but even in doing that she could see that it was already too late.
 
Amuro had him; he had him and would have finished his rival if that… whatever it was hadn't opened up near them. From Amuro's perspective it looked like a wormhole that he had seen in sci-fi movies. When it had appeared it had begun sucking in everything it could, including Gundam and Char's suit. Although he had Gundam's engines at the redlines, Char, with his suit's larger thrusters, was barely keeping from being sucked in. Amuro wasn't so lucky however. A wailing alarm announced the onboard systems had shut down the engines to prevent them from exploding. With the loss of resistance, Gundam went tumbling directly towards the rift. Light flared across the screens of his cockpit, blinding Amuro. With a thunk and a whine, all the systems in the Gundam shut down completely this time, plunging Amuro into darkness. Without warning his senses were overcome by white light and excruciating pain, like nothing he had ever experienced. Before this assault on his sanity could tear it apart, Amuro slipped into the cold, quiet bliss of unconsciousness and knew no more.