Gundam Wing Fan Fiction / Outlaw Star Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction / Zoids Fan Fiction ❯ All Death's Children ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9

Zero refused to be the victim (although he said the word with much more force) of a collective, teary goodbye. Instead, he merely accepted well-wishers into his room one at a time. Anyone caught trying to get misty on him was promptly glared at until they stopped.

Vega had merely shaken his hand and promised to look after Hotaru. Oscuro even allowed Zero to pet him…but only for a moment.

Hotaru had been fine until he hugged her, and then she'd lost it and burst into tears. She was the only one allowed to sob on him, though. Considering she was losing Zero for good-and in a more important way, Vega-it only seemed fair to make an exception for her.

Hanmyo had even come at the last minute. She promised to be there for Vega when he needed her, and bowed so many times that Zero thought she might fall over. Finally, Zero grabbed her shoulders and simply told her as long as she could make Vega smile, the world wouldn't explode. She didn't quite understand that, but they both laughed, anyway. He also gave Kiz to her, assuming no one else would really appreciate the pink streak

Duo came by to wish him luck, and then Washu arrived to collect him for the rather long trip back home.

Just as Zero was about to climb into his Ingrid, the queen appeared.

"You have memories of a place few other humans know, Zero. Because you've served me well, and as a favor to Vega, I'll allow you to keep them. They'll only show up in those visions of yours, but maybe they'll be more useful to you later on."

Zero had a sudden flash of inspiration. "I…won't see you again, will I?"

"Doubtful," Death replied. "I think I'll be taking that long walk before you will. But if anything happens, don't worry. Hotaru will look after you. In the meantime, take care of yourself and those other Pilots, will you?"

Zero nodded and kissed her hand. "Goodbye, my queen."

"Oh, no you don't!" The queen leaned down and pointed at her cheek.

Blushing, Zero kissed her there, too.

"That's better." She gave him an affectionate peck on the forehead. "Good luck, Zero Enna. Now hurry back to that Repairer of yours. I think she's missed you most of all."

* * * * *

Vega was awakened early the next morning by Duo shaking him.

"Get up, Obscura. This is important."

"It better be," Vega grunted, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

"Well, fine. If you don't want to be there when Hotaru specifically sent me after you…"

Vega leaped from the bed. "Why didn't you say so?!"

Duo smirked. "Because it's more fun to see your eyes double in size, that's why. C'mon, slowpoke."

Vega dressed quickly and found Duo waiting outside with Hanmyo.

"So where are we going, anyway?" Hanmyo asked, slipping her hand into Vega's.

"Hotaru's powers are going to be restored. Well, they'll restore themselves, I mean. Afterwards, she can go on sacrificing herself for others whenever she feels like it."

Vega winced. "Please don't remind me."

When they reached the throne room, Hotaru was hanging upside down from the ceiling.

"Is that really necessary?" Vega asked.

"Washu says it is," Duo replied, looking exasperated, "so of course everyone goes along with it."

"I HEARD that," Washu said, suddenly appearing to swat the back of his head. "It may look funny, but it aids the power flow. It should be less painful."

"There's pain involved?" Hanmyo asked, looking concerned.

"Oh, almost always. Can't be helped, really. The powers of Saturn aren't known for being gentle."

"Can't she switch planets or something?" Vega asked.

Washu laughed. "That would almost certainly involve dying again and even more pain, Vega. Not to mention it'd be very hard for Hotaru to adjust to. Now, stand back. You don't want to get hit by anything."

The words were barely out of Washu's mouth when something large, violet, and loud went zooming over their heads and crashing into Hotaru.

Vega was thrown off his feet by the impact, and Hanmyo was lucky enough to land on top of him. When they looked up, Hotaru was on her feet, looking somewhat regal and very un-Hotaru-like. There was a glowing sigil of Saturn on her forehead. And then there was the peculiar costume…although it didn't seem wise or even remotely healthy to insult her just then.

Not-Hotaru glanced down at herself, frowned, and then raised her hand, summoning the Silence Glaive. Looking much more relaxed with the weapon, she turned to the queen and bowed. She greeted Duo in the same manner, except Vega heard her call him Shinigami in an almost affectionate tone.

Then Not-Hotaru noticed Hanmyo lying on top of Vega (they were still too shocked to move).

And promptly lost it.

One instant, Hanmyo was lying on Vega.

The next, Not-Hotaru had pinned her to the wall with the Silence Glaive.

"You are not worthy of him!" Not-Hotaru hissed. "If you ever touch my king again-"

"Then I'll most likely touch her back," Vega added, standing. "Let her go…whoever you are."

Not-Hotaru looked mortally wounded. "My king…do you not know me?"

"What I know is that you're hurting someone I care for. Let. Her. Go." Vega was clearly serious now.

Not-Hotaru's eyes narrowed. "Do not presume to think you are above me, my king. You are my king only in the sense that you serve me…and are destined to wed me."

"Destiny can change," the queen said, laying a hand on Not-Hotaru's shoulder. "And it has. Vega isn't yours any longer, though he will serve you well when the time comes. Leave us, Saturn."

Not-Hotaru's eyes flashed, and her clothes dissolved to the simple black dress, leggings, and shoes that Hotaru preferred.

"It seems we need to discuss some things, Firefly," the queen murmured, managing to look amused and concerned at the same time.

"Like what?" Hotaru asked, blinking slowly. Then she noticed the others. "Hi, guys! Why are you…looking at me like that…?"

* * * * *

"It's weird," Duo said, trying to explain. "Hotaru is a normal girl that just so happens to have the gift of healing. Saturn is…well…she's me, but shorter and female and not as pleasant to be around."

"So all this power she has," Vega murmured. "It's…not really hers?"

"Yes and no," Washu replied. "If you mean ownership, then yes, the power is Saturn's. If you mean access, Hotaru can use it without actually summoning Saturn. But the greater the amount of power needed, the more Saturn becomes the only one able to handle it."

"Okay. Beating up on Hitorega. Who was that?"

Washu sighed. "That was Hotaru accessing Saturn's power. It's very obvious when Saturn emerges, as you've just experienced. Generally, there's no need for her outside of battle, but she appears after every power restoration and in times of great emotional stress."

"Why does she hate me?" Hanmyo asked suddenly.

"She doesn't hate YOU," Duo said. "She hates the fact that you're with Vega and she's not."

"I don't see how there's a difference," Vega interrupted angrily. "Either way, she wants to harm Hanmyo. I won't allow it."

Hanmyo smiled and squeezed Vega's hand. "I know it didn't look like it just then, Vega, but I can take care of myself. Especially now that I know how Saturn…and Hotaru…feel about you."

Vega blushed a little before shaking his head. "But that wasn't even the beginning of Saturn's power!"

"No need to worry," Duo replied. "Saturn's got a one-track mind, but she knows there are more important things than getting her claws in you, Obscura. She wouldn't go all out against Hanmyo unless she thought her throne was being challenged or something like that."

"Well, I certainly don't want it," Hanmyo said. She grinned suddenly. "Anyway, Vega has his own, and I'm allowed to sit in his lap."

Duo turned away and pretended to heave. "God, I'm going to be sick…"

"I think they're adorable," Washu disagreed, smiling as Hanmyo laid her head on a blushing Vega's shoulder.

* * * * *

"But I DON'T hate Hanmyo!" Hotaru protested.

"Saturn is of a different opinion," Death said. "And when that involves trying to choke the life from her, Firefly, I really do think you should be more open-minded about all this."

Hotaru fell silent, looking very ashamed of herself.

"Now, I realize that you didn't intend for Saturn to react that way. But the fact that she did indicates that maybe you're not as comfortable with Vega & Hanmyo being together as you'd like us to think."

"That's not my fault!" Hotaru cried before realizing what she was saying.

"I know it isn't, dearest," the queen replied, patting her hand gently. "I'm not blaming you for feeling strongly about Vega. Nor am I suggesting you can only feel a certain way about Hanmyo. But I am holding you responsible for the way you-and Saturn-react to her."

Hotaru frowned. "But…it's not fair," she muttered glumly.

"What isn't?"

Hotaru looked away. "The only person I've ever felt this strongly about was…well, you know."

The queen nodded.

"I accepted that we'd always be friends, and nothing more. I could live with that. But…this is different! VEGA is different!"

"The only differences I see are that he has someone else and…well, he's a boy."

Hotaru blushed. "I didn't mean it like that. It's just…I never thought he wouldn't want me…"

"Vega has not dismissed you from his life, Firefly. As I recall, you two agreed that you'd go on being best friends."

"But that was before he and Hanmyo-"

"And has Vega said anything that indicated he might wish to terminate the aforementioned arrangement?"

"Well…no…but he looked so angry…"

"Not very different from the way you must have looked when someone threatened his life. I suppose people can become very protective of the ones they love, Firefly. I wouldn't know, having never experienced it, of course…"

Hotaru sighed. "I'm just tired of being alone, Majesty. Why can't I find someone just for me?"

The queen just sighed and patted Hotaru's head. "Death cannot love."

Hotaru looked shocked. "How can you say that?! You love us, don't you?"

"I am nothing and everything, Firefly. Each person gets from me what they put into me. If you wish to love me, then I will return that love to you. If you wish to hate me, you'll get that back, too."

"Then…I'll always be alone?" Hotaru whispered.

Death smiled. "Don't be silly, Firefly. I'm the only one that's going anywhere. Duo would never dream of leaving your side, and I'm certain that Washu will be here for a while, if not forever. And wild Zoids couldn't tear Vega away from you…and neither will Hanmyo. But your treatment of her might."

* * * * *

"Give me a reading on that new Victim, Erts!" Garu shouted. "I need that update as in ten minutes ago!"

Erts shook his head, looking as apologetic as was possible. "Sorry, Garu-san. I don't have anything on it. Reneighd Klein isn't giving me any data, either."

"Just what we need!" Rio complained. "ANOTHER new Victim with no data at all! Can ANYONE at least just tell me what type it is?!"

"The soon-to-be-dead type," replied a familiar but totally unexpected voice.

Erts's eyes widened in shock as the large, purple-headed Victim was suddenly cut in two by a glowing sword, resulting in a huge explosion. When the smoke cleared, an Ingrid was revealed at the impact point, made even more noticeable by the green, near translucent wings on its back.

For a long moment, no one said anything.

Amazingly enough, the one Pilot who almost never spoke more than five words at a time broke the silence first.

"Welcome home, Rei-sama."

There was a slightly embarrassed chuckle over the comlink. "I told you, Yu-san, it's Zero. I know I've been gone too long if you're the only one feeling up to greeting me."

"Zero?" Erts whispered, too afraid that this was all a dream. "Is it…really you?"

A new window popped up among the several already cluttering Reneighd Klein's screen, and Zero's grinning face soon appeared. "Miss me?" he asked.

Erts shook his head in silence, tears spilling down his face. "How can you even ask me that?!"

"Aw, you big baby," Zero teased fondly, never losing his grin. "I was only gone for a minute!"

"Try a WEEK, Zero!" Garu snapped.

"Well, some things haven't changed, I see," Zero chuckled. "Nice to see you, too, Garu. Has he been behaving, Rio?"

"You kidding or what?" Rio laughed. "With you gone, he's been lecturing us about how he's Top now!"

Garu sputtered indignantly. "Don't believe a word he says, Zero!"

"Yeah, but he said a sentence, not just a word, so I guess I do," Zero replied. "Anyway, I'm back now, so that means you're all taking orders from someone younger than you again. Except Erts, anyway, but I always tell him what to do…"

* * * * *

Most people simply accepted that Oscuro was a solitary cabbit and preferred to stay that way.

Hanmyo was not most people.

It was her opinion that Oscuro and Kiz were just meant to be together (not unlike Vega & herself), and she was determined to get them there, no matter how stubborn one of them was.

"C'mon, Oscuro! You can't tell me that you don't find Kiz the least bit attractive?"

Kiz yowled encouragingly.

Oscuro wouldn't even look at her.

Vega tried not to laugh from where he was sitting. He knew his cabbit, and Hanmyo was wasting her time. But it was awful cute to see her fussing over the cabbits that way. Not to mention that she was awful cute, but that was hardly the point. Or maybe it was…

Quite suddenly, there was a knock on the door.

Glad for the distraction, Oscuro leaped to the relative safety of Vega's shoulder.

"Come in," Vega called, not getting up. He was feeling particularly lazy, for some reason. Maybe he just didn't want to take his eyes off Hanmyo, which he could hardly be blamed for.

"I was hoping I'd find you both here," said a quiet voice.

Vega blinked in surprise. "Hotaru?" He hesitated. "That IS you, isn't it?"

"Yes," she sighed, bowing. "I wanted to apologize for what happened today. I swear it will never happen again."

Vega wasn't quite ready to let it go at a simple apology. This was his girlfriend's well-being, after all.

But Hanmyo suddenly flew past him and grabbed Hotaru's hands. "Consider yourself forgiven!"

Hotaru stared at her. "Really…? You're not mad?"

"Of course not! I was an Anten assassin, Hotaru. I was thrown around and beaten up at every one of our sparring sessions. You hardly put a scratch on me. But that's not why I'm forgiving you."

"Then…why?"

Hanmyo smiled. "Because I saw the look on Vega's face when you attacked. He was so disappointed. And for him to be that disappointed, I knew he must've thought really highly of you. And anyone my Vega thinks highly of is fine by me."

Vega turned bright red. "It's true, Hotaru. You're one of the most remarkable people I've ever met. And I know Washu, so that's saying something."

Hotaru couldn't help smiling. "Then…you really forgive me? Both of you?"

"I don't see why not," Vega replied, smiling back. "You did apologize, and we are smiling at you."

Hanmyo flung her arms around both their necks. "Don't you worry, `Taru. Before you know it, we'll be the best of friends!"

Hotaru stared at her. "What did you call me?" she asked, her eyes widening.

Vega froze. Something told him that `Taru was Saturn for "kill everything" or something worse.

"Well, everyone needs a nickname," Hanmyo insisted. "Don't you like yours?"

"It's just…one of my old friends used to call me that," Hotaru said, still looking a bit unnerved.

"Well, maybe she's been reincarnated as me. Better be nice to me, then!"

Hotaru started to point out that Rini wasn't dead, then decided against it. Instead, she smiled. "I like it just fine…Usako."

Hanmyo beamed, but Vega was puzzled.

"Why are you calling my girlfriend a bunny?"

"She practically bounces with every step, Vega. You can't tell me you haven't noticed!"

"Of course he hasn't!" Hanmyo said quickly, grinning wickedly. "It's not my feet he's been watching bounce…"

Vega turned red. "I'm starting to dread what MY nickname will be."

"Not to worry, beloved," Hanmyo replied, kissing his cheek. "We'll think up something nice for you later."

"Oh! There is another reason I came here," Hotaru said. "The queen has a mission for the three of us. It's highly specialized, and she said it was practically made for us."

"Sounds like fun!" Hanmyo clapped her hands excitedly. "What do we have to do?"

Hotaru smiled, glad that she was so interested. "Are either of you familiar with dragonballs?"

* * * * *

Kizna was busy obsessing over the last data readings Ernn Laties had sent before vanishing a week ago. That was so like Zero, to run off somewhere and leave them (especially her) to worry about him. He just couldn't DO things like that anymore, now that he was Top, and if he ever showed up, she was going to tell him that. Loudly. With lots of yelling and a few kicks thrown in for good measure and emphasis. You had to do that to get through to Zero Enna. At least, Kizna thought so.

Suddenly, Leena ran by and grabbed her arm. "Come ON, Kizna!"

"What? Why?"

"It's HIM! Zero's back! Haven't you been listening?!"

Kizna allowed her ears to focus on the comlink. Indeed, just about all the Pilots (except Garu and Yu, of course) were laughing as they returned to GIS, and one of them was definitely her very annoying partner.

"Honey, I'm hoooooome!" Rio shouted, never one to cease with the jokes. He knew that Phil would throttle him the second she got close enough, but the look on her face always seemed to be worth the trouble to him. Perhaps he preferred to think that was her way of showing she cared.

Kizna followed Leena as they ran to the docking bay. She was determined to give Zero a piece of her mind the moment she saw him. She'd make sure he never pulled a stunt like this again.

But any plans Kizna had dissolved when she finally saw her wayward Pilot.

Currently, he was being hugged to death by Tune, who looked as if she'd never stop crying.

"Tune-chan, PLEASE, I'm okay! You don't have to sob like this!" Zero was saying as he rubbed her back.

Tune finally let go, but then she just attached herself to Erts, who didn't seem to mind as much.

Zero took two steps before he was virtually attacked by Leena, much in the same way Tune had nearly knocked him over in her happiness to see him again. It was another three minutes before he slipped out of her grasp.

Then he spotted his Repairer.

"Kizna!" he called, grinning. "What are you hiding back there for, huh?"

Kizna's lips trembled, and something not unlike rage was quickly taking over her. With a scream of frustration, happiness, and relief all at once, she threw herself at him, knocking them both to the floor. "You IDIOT!" she wailed. "Don't you EVER do that to me again!!!"

Everyone else looked shocked and even worried. Kizna was known throughout GIS for when she was in a mood. Even Garu backed away when she was really angry.

But Zero just grinned up at her. "I missed you, too, Kizna," he said, reaching up to cup her cheeks in his hands. "But I'm back now. You don't have to worry. Everything's fine."

Kizna bit her lip to keep from screaming at him, and then realized she was crying. Choking down a sob, she flung herself at his neck, weeping into his shoulder.

Zero just held her close, gently patting her back and quietly telling her he was fine.

It was around this point that Kazuhi entered the docking bay, wondering what all the noise was about. She stopped beside her brother, who looked as if he found the whole scene to be somewhat boring.

But Zero would have none of that. He wasn't planning to let anyone get away hug-free. As soon as he was certain that Kizna was okay, he leaped up and shouted happily, "Kazuhi-chan!"

Kazuhi was so startled that she didn't have to react as Zero ran up, grabbed her in a big hug, and swung her around in the air a few times.

Yu looked as shocked as everyone else. So much so that he momentarily forgot that Zero had dared to touch his sister without permission.

When Zero finally put Kazuhi down, her eyes were wide, and she looked as if she might faint. Instead, she quickly tried to recover as much of her dignity as was possible at that point. "It's…good to see you, too, Rei-sama," she said, attempting to bow. But Zero was still holding her close, so it was impossible.

"It's good to be home," Zero said, smiling at them all. "Now, Rio, I KNOW you know, so when's dinner?"

* * * * *

Continued in Chapter 10

Vega, Hanmyo, and Hotaru rush to save a dying world with a single wish. But in their way stand a cruel pair of lethal androids and an upstart Saiyan Prince, whose rage is matched only by his limitless power.